The "No love from anybody" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
let the masses gather. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, i appreciate ur reassurement, but i cant help but wprry. i seem to really shut down in my interviews...like i just get quiet and akward. its the weirdest thing. i have one more soon so I am actually contemplating downing a beer or two right before...just tot ake the edge off.

thanks, i appreciate ur reassurement, but i cant help but wprry. i seem to really shut down in my interviews...like i just get quiet and akward. its the weirdest thing. i have one more soon so I am actually contemplating downing a beer or two right before...just tot ake the edge off.

Interview just takes some practice and experience.

To tell the truth I did horrible during my first interview. It took me awhile to open up as well. I was so nervous at times that I didnt even remember what I responded to some of the questions. It looks like you have more interviews coming up, so I think you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow i didnt know, not making a first round cut would be this depressing...

couldn't do anything today :(

Ok, I know this sucks and stuff, but this thread is also comforting. I feel better now knowing I'm not alone in this boat.

Ha- Trogdor guy, I love your extracurricular stuff on pre-dents!
Ha ha, thanks! I started to fill it out with real things, and then realized that no one would probably care.

Keep your head up! Maybe we'll be classmates next year :)
I hope so... I really thought that I was going to get in VCU the first round. It sucks because I'm never confident about these things, and the one time I think everything is all good, I get nothing. Now I have to wait ANOTHER 2 months.

I feel a lot better now. It took a while for me to get over today since VCU is my #1. It's nice to know that there are other people in the same boat as me -- not that I wish for people to not be accepted.

Just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat. 6 schools = 6 under review.

wow, I just can't believe it. Not a single acceptance. 5 interviews and not a single word. I really don't know what to say except show me some freakin love!

No love here, either :(:cry::(

Its not always about stats, look at predents someone with sub 3.0gpa and 19/18 dat got in at midwestern. Their are others similar to this on other schools. So their is more to it then stats. That or they are taking names out of a hat. lol. Anyways it is still early in the cycle. I am in the same boat 5 interviews and nada.

oh yeah my friend just called me last night and told me he got into iowa, he is instate which helps him greatly. his stas were 3.7 gpa, 3.6 sci and a
17/18:thumbdown:

so my previous rant about stats has some evidence.

Yep. Definately depressing.

Especially on this website...every thread is something like, "Got accepted to five schools, can't decide which one-Need Help!!"

I just don't feel like waiting anymore!!
Is anyone here retaking their DAT as a result of no offers?
I am-- on the 12th and I'm terrified that I won't score any higher. Then what happens? I'm screwed. I'm hoping that at least being less nervous going into the exam will allow me to think a little more clearly and score higher.

And mostly what really pisses me off is the fact that one 4 hour test has outweighed my 4 years of hard work in college, my interview, and all my extracurriculars!
:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry for the rant!

Especially on this website...every thread is something like, "Got accepted to five schools, can't decide which one-Need Help!!"

I just don't feel like waiting anymore!!
Is anyone here retaking their DAT as a result of no offers?
I am-- on the 12th and I'm terrified that I won't score any higher. Then what happens? I'm screwed. I'm hoping that at least being less nervous going into the exam will allow me to think a little more clearly and score higher.

And mostly what really pisses me off is the fact that one 4 hour test has outweighed my 4 years of hard work in college, my interview, and all my extracurriculars!

Sorry for the rant!

Hang in there girl.

I couldnt find the exact data for U of Maryland on the official guide to dental school, but I would think the your odds are not bad since you are in state.

The only data that I can found for Maryland is that they had 178 in state applicants last year, and there were 70 enrollees.

However, the 178 are the total in state applicants, and I am pretty sure not all of them are interviewed. Also, the 70 represents the number of in state seats available, not the number of in state acceptances that they hand out. The actual in state acceptances that they hand out is probably much higher than that.

Ack. So much statistics and math. Hope you feel better and good luck!

Thanks Jigabodo... I know, I'm just tired of studying and I'm tired of waiting. As I'm sure we all are. Now I have to start studying again. I really hope that at least I can raise my AA but a point or two and then MD will show me some love. Thanks for your support!

Members don't see this ad :)

Interviewing is something that just takes time to become comfortable with. This is my 2nd time applying, and last year my interviews were not as good as this time -- it truly does take practice and repetition. The key is becoming calm enough to communicate smoothly. Throw in a little down to earth humor, smile, and be sincere. Tell yourself you are talking to one of your friends that you have known for years. It takes meditation, learn to control your mind and body.

You would not believe how many applicants have trouble interviewing as well. So you are not alone.

Last year when I was not accepted into any schools, I beat myself up over it. To the point that it changed me as a person. Don't let that happen to you guys, and most of all - keep moving forward.

Sorry for the rant!

I would have to agree. It seems a one time stellar DAT score over pronounces years of hard work at a respective college. I have a pretty decent GPA with an average DAT, got interviewed at all three of my state schools, and nothing. Interviews seemed to go well, I laughed and they laughed, it was great. So I don't know. I'll give it another week and contact them and see what I could fix for next year. :oops:

see, i feel like i nailed most, if not all, of my interviews. I left most of them with the impression that I had a sure shot. This is the main reason why I am so shocked.

see, i feel like i nailed most, if not all, of my interviews. I left most of them with the impression that I had a sure shot. This is the main reason why I am so shocked.

I think you will be fine.

My friend who applied last year had 8 pre december 1st interview and only received one acceptance on december 1st.

However, eventually he got accepted by 6 out of 8. You just gotta be patient.

Good luck! :thumbup:

The interview is the most fickle aspect of the whole thing. You can't really judge accurately how you did, because you have no control on the personality of your interviewer, nor do you have any real knowledge about what the person thinks of you. In my case, I thought that I did well at Penn, chatting with Dr. Sheridan sincerely about many issues (although the interview was really short and I didn't feel like it had any pivotal effect), but so far I have yet to hear from those guys, while folks at UCSF, where I thought I had a subpar interview, were the first ones to call me (and sounded very enthusiastic). So in a sense you never really know.

Not getting in on Nov 30th just means that you weren't the schools' top choice. The second choice acceptances are still on their way! First choice, second choice, third choice...an acceptance is an acceptance.

The majority of first choice candidates got into multiple schools, so withdrawals will come by Jan 14th. That's when the 2nd round acceptances will pile up. If you havn't been rejected by a school by now, that means you're in contest for the 2nd round acceptances. Now's the time to display faith and courage as you wait.

That's true...thank you.

So I guess if we didn't get the first round acceptance, we will be competing with people with similar stats in the next round, correct?

Also, can we hear anything before Jan 15th?

Not getting in on Nov 30th just means that you weren't the schools' top choice. The second choice acceptances are still on their way! First choice, second choice, third choice...an acceptance is an acceptance.

The majority of first choice candidates got into multiple schools, so withdrawals will come by Jan 14th. That's when the 2nd round acceptances will pile up. If you havn't been rejected by a school by now, that means you're in contest for the 2nd round acceptances. Now's the time to display faith and courage as you wait.

Thanks for your comments. I am a second time applicant and this year I felt like the interviews that I had went really well. I was calm and collected. Displayed moderate humor and had a great time. But I think i'm being held onto for those 2nd and 3rd round acceptances. It is hard to deal with inside. But whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? Haha

Sorry guys! Time for me to leave this thread. Just got accepted by NYU! But for everyone else out there keep your head up. You'll get there eventually and a big :thumbup: for those who have stayed in the game for so long

Hello, my name is Haisha ni Narou and I'm a SDN-aholic. I walked out of my 2 interviews confident I was going to get a phone call last week but nope! I like many of you was surprised. The most frustrating thing about it is I have no idea what happened. My GPA is good, my DAT good enough, but my extras and interviews were excellent... The uncertinty is what is killing me! I met with one dean of admissions to go over my file and they didn't even know why I didn't get in, how frustrating is that? I am almost convinced that the names get pulled out of a hat or there is something really wrong with me that I cannot see! I know, I know, it's only first round but it's extremely hard not to over analyze the whole trip and to not take it personal, especially when about 5 of your friends who have very close stats got multiple acceptances.

Anyone want to play their violin for me?

this is frustrating...

I totally agree with you Lemoncurry. I too felt that I nailed all of my interviews. I really do feel that I'm good at determining and noting how people feel about me as I talk to them. Needless to say, I'm not so sure now that the interview is what is holding us back necessarily as they went well, as far as I can tell, for the both of us. I'm sure that there are other aspects of our application, or in my case red hair and freckles, that adcoms were not very impressed with. I must say that I find it highly unlikely that adcoms from 5!!! different schools haven't "reached a decision" because they simply haven't gotten to our application yet. As was said earlier, an acceptance is an acceptance, beit 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. Sooner or later I'm sure we'll get into a school, if not more. Good luck!

Hello, my name is Haisha ni Narou and I'm a SDN-aholic. I walked out of my 2 interviews confident I was going to get a phone call last week but nope! I like many of you was surprised. The most frustrating thing about it is I have no idea what happened. My GPA is good, my DAT good enough, but my extras and interviews were excellent... The uncertinty is what is killing me! I met with one dean of admissions to go over my file and they didn't even know why I didn't get in, how frustrating is that? I am almost convinced that the names get pulled out of a hat or there is something really wrong with me that I cannot see! I know, I know, it's only first round but it's extremely hard not to over analyze the whole trip and to not take it personal, especially when about 5 of your friends who have very close stats got multiple acceptances.

Anyone want to play their violin for me?

+pity+

One for me and one for everyone else that is not feeling the love!!!+pity++pity+

One for me and one for everyone else that is not feeling the love!!!+pity++pity+

I had my interview yesterday In San Antonio, it seemed everybody liked me! but what i am reading and hearing.I want to say I have no idea, anyway I am buckling up for my 3th DAT
my second DAT was: 19/20

:corny:

Danny, it looks like your scores are good, when did you apply? I can't image that those are the reasons you aren't getting in. What does the rest of your application look like? Did you tell them you were going to take your "3th" DAT, because that could have hurt you ;)

I had my interview yesterday In San Antonio, it seemed everybody liked me!

everybody says that after the interview. i don't mean to burst your bubble at all, just stating this fact. they all are real nice people there and really care about their students. hope you get in. good luck.

Danny, it looks like your scores are good, when did you apply? I can't image that those are the reasons you aren't getting in. What does the rest of your application look like? Did you tell them you were going to take your "3th" DAT, because that could have hurt you ;)

GPA 3.4 for science and overal( for all credit hours in US), shadowing Dentist and have bachlrote in Physical therapy from overseas.. and I didn't talk about retaking DAT yesterday and in very early interview in Baylor ! maybe Baylor expected DAT score 35(in 30 scale!!)!! and GPA 4.5 (in 4.00 scale!!) from me!!!! :confused:
+pity+

I totally agree with this statement. You really do NOT know how your interviews go and you will NEVER know if your interviewers like you or not. I thought I did very well at Penn...I also had Dr. Sheridan and we talked about my research and my job at the dental lab etc. She was very interested in all that I do etc...but I just got waitlisted from the school...:(
However I really thought I did bad at my Nova interview b/c it was my first interview and I was very nervious but that was the first school I got accepted to. I also got accepted to Columbia and I thought the interview was okay...so you never know....you can only "guess" on how well you did on your interviews...

The interview is the most fickle aspect of the whole thing. You can't really judge accurately how you did, because you have no control on the personality of your interviewer, nor do you have any real knowledge about what the person thinks of you. In my case, I thought that I did well at Penn, chatting with Dr. Sheridan sincerely about many issues (although the interview was really short and I didn't feel like it had any pivotal effect), but so far I have yet to hear from those guys, while folks at UCSF, where I thought I had a subpar interview, were the first ones to call me (and sounded very enthusiastic). So in a sense you never really know.

Hang in there girl.

I couldnt find the exact data for U of Maryland on the official guide to dental school, but I would think the your odds are not bad since you are in state.

The only data that I can found for Maryland is that they had 178 in state applicants last year, and there were 70 enrollees.

However, the 178 are the total in state applicants, and I am pretty sure not all of them are interviewed. Also, the 70 represents the number of in state seats available, not the number of in state acceptances that they hand out. The actual in state acceptances that they hand out is probably much higher than that.

Ack. So much statistics and math. Hope you feel better and good luck!

This makes me feel little better :)
I dont know what I was thinking when I applied.
This is my first yr and applied to only 3 schools. Not surprisingly, only my state school invited me for their interview, which went bad + it was my first interview ever. I guess I have to wait little more to see whether they reject me or put on their long wait list. :(

Just got denied at Midwestern!!!! garbage is what i call it, garbage!!!

I'm still checking aadsas 5x a day. Pathetic.

I've been rejected from 10 schools so far!! Waiting on another 10 :smuggrin:

Called up Midwestern today. Between them and ASDOH, I've officially been shut out of AZ.

still no love for the curry!

Why the heck have you not got in yet. I seriously am frustrated for you!

When's the next acceptance offer date? is there any? or is it just anyday, whenever they feel like?

Called up Midwestern today. Between them and ASDOH, I've officially been shut out of AZ.

still no love for the curry!

Curry:

Your DAT and GPA both look good, so you might want to see if there is something that is blatantly missing or deficient in your application.

I did that last year and I was just told to finish up my degree strong, which i did, and that I didn't need to retake my DAT. Last year I was a victim of numbers and applying late.

I have no research, only about 30 hours shadowing, no health-related extracurriculars to speak of. I'm also a non-trad, married with two kids, which affects some of that, but I often heard from interviewers how they kinda like older applicants.

Frankly I'm puzzled, but it's probably a numbers game at this point. Midwestern was not my best interview, although I did give a really good answer for the geography question.

One of the more interesting questions I was asked during my interview, was when my fiance and I would get married and why. I toyed with the possibility of them asking this question, but I was still surprised that he asked it. From his tone, I suspect that it does enter the decisions game somewhat - a guy can only be pulled in so many directions/responsibilities before something gives. However, given that you've already balanced your life with children, I hope they assign more credence with your ability to manage your time and stress.

I did that last year and I was just told to finish up my degree strong, which i did, and that I didn't need to retake my DAT. Last year I was a victim of numbers and applying late.

I have no research, only about 30 hours shadowing, no health-related extracurriculars to speak of. I'm also a non-trad, married with two kids, which affects some of that, but I often heard from interviewers how they kinda like older applicants.

Frankly I'm puzzled, but it's probably a numbers game at this point. Midwestern was not my best interview, although I did give a really good answer for the geography question.

My opinion is that the lack of extracurriculurs might be hurting you. Some of these schools really value clubs and things like that--for example, at a couple of my interviews they asked specifically why I didn't have a lot of volunteer or club activities, which I thought was kind of odd since they should know that a graduate student, postdoc, and research scientist is caged in the lab for most of the day and simply does not have excess time for that kind of stuff. But I do have extensive research experience, so that probably cancelled out.

There could also be other factors such as your letters of recommendation and essay.