The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone like contemporary, post-modern adult fiction? Charcter driven stuff?\

Just finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith and it's awesome . . . if you like that kind of book (Also check out Autograph Man by her)

I hate to snob out on fiction, but I just do. I know it makes me a little bit of a bad person, but we can't all be perfect. Can't say fairer than that! ;)

Good suggestion. I will be checking out.

Another funny book is (A year in the Merde) by stephen clarke.

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely going to check out stieg larsson. You better live up to your words :D

No worries. Fantastic reads, just be sure to read them in order. You won't put 'em down.

This is probably contrary to many on this thread, but I generally trend towards quicker crime/legal/chararcter-type reads that I can tear through in a lazy day or two....here are my usual recommendations for anyone looking for a light, easy and enjoyable read:

1. Michael Connelly
2. Grisham (older grisham, and not any of his "lighter" fare)
3. John Sandford

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone like contemporary, post-modern adult fiction? Charcter driven stuff?\

Just finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith and it's awesome . . . if you like that kind of book (Also check out Autograph Man by her)

I hate to snob out on fiction, but I just do. I know it makes me a little bit of a bad person, but we can't all be perfect. Can't say fairer than that! ;)

See my previous rec for Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize-winning "A Visit From the Good Squad." You won't be disappointed if that's your thing.

Also, somebody on here mentioned "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" earlier which I wholeheartedly recommend (along with any of Michael Chabon's other work).

You certainly can't go wrong with anything by the Jonathans (Lethem or Franzen). And the most recent short story collection form Maile Meloy (sister of Colin Meloy of the Decembrists who is a YA author as well) is pretty good too.

I should point out that my wife is the executive director of a literary non-profit so I spend a lot of time hanging out with and talking about authors of this stripe.

Last edited:
See my previous rec for Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize-winning "A Visit From the Good Squad." You won't be disappointed if that's your thing.

Also, somebody on here mentioned "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" earlier which I wholeheartedly recommend (along with any of Michael Chabon's other work).

You certainly can't go wrong with anything by the Jonathans (Lethem or Franzen). And the most recent short story collection form Maile Meloy (sister of Colin Meloy of the Decembrists who is a YA author as well) is pretty good too.

I should point out that my wife is the executive director of a literary non-profit so I spend a lot of time hanging out with and talking about authors of this stripe.

Challenge_accepted_RE_Red_pancake_s400x300_128675_580_RE_Longest_Post_on_Sharenator_Mac_Help-s400x300-194794-535.jpg

Work today sucked huge ballz. I'm currently doing a rotation at the one private hospital we rotate through, for the one month we have to do it, and if it wasn't bad enough I get treated like a bitch by pretty much everyone there - oh there are nice to me for the most part, but everyone knows I'm the bitch. Had four new consults on top of 12 old unit patients to see this morning when I get there at 7:30. "Attending" and I use that word here as loosely as humanly possible know about this, but is no where to be found or help out. Anyway, I do what I do: cure disease and save lives. I wrap up all of the admission order and procedures, and staff rolls in about 11 wanting to know what he has no notes to cosign.

:lame:

Really? I mean seriously?

And that was just the first half of the day. The last half was so unpleasant and unpleasant in a specific way that I won't get into it.

If today happens again, and things continue to be as unprofessional as they have been, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I'm not standing for it.

Work today sucked huge ballz.

If today happens again, and things continue to be as unprofessional as they have been, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I'm not standing for it.
Sounds like a rotten situation. Is your fellowship coordinator approachable? It might be wise to have notified someone of the situation before you give this "attending" a reason to try to squish you (i.e. if you smart off or put him in his place).

An alternative approach might be playing dumb...like:
"I heard from previous fellows who rotated through that normally we split the new consults and service list. How did you want to do this?"

Sounds like a rotten situation. Is your fellowship coordinator approachable? It might be wise to have notified someone of the situation before you give this "attending" a reason to try to squish you (i.e. if you smart off or put him in his place).

An alternative approach might be playing dumb...like:
"I heard from previous fellows who rotated through that normally we split the new consults and service list. How did you want to do this?"

He's got no pull with my program - none of these private docs do. We're simply stuck out there for one month first year for reasons old and archaic (and kind of complicated to explain), and it continues with the lame reasoning that you get see what it's like a private hospital.

:lame:

I don't mind doing the work, but you've got to step off my nuts because I can only do one thing at a time. This guy forgets I'm doing his documentation and I can appreciate that he'd like to leave at 3PM (so would I), but a busy day is a busy day. Reasonable people are reasonable. I have this guy through the weekend and then a new attending. Hopefully, it'll be better. If it's not I will tear this rotation a new a-hole when I do my evaluation. I personally don't care if the favor is returned. I've got great evals otherwise, and will continue to do so - plus one of the big wig researchers has me penciled in for picking up the ball and running on a project in his lab starting in July. Politics. They are on my side, but hopefully all of that doesn't need to happen.

It was a bad day. We all have them. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully will be better.

I've got great evals otherwise, and will continue to do so - plus one of the big wig researchers has me penciled in for picking up the ball and running on a project in his lab starting in July

Great job!! You will rock it at the end.

One day this lazy attending will mess up the care of one poor patient, and he will end up in deep trouble

Great job!! You will rock it at the end.

One day this lazy attending will mess up the care of one poor patient, and he will end up in deep trouble

It's not patient care that is the issue though. He's a good physician. He's just a thoughtless jerk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, its on my list!! I will watch it during the week for sure.

I most recently watched (The secret in their eyes). Highly recommended!!!

Nice to see the IM forums are nearly as dead as they always are... and props to those of you at least attempting to make this forum as human as possible. But the heaviest traffic, yet again can be found at:

"OMG Step 1 258, Step 2 251, am I screwed out of Top 25 programs?? :("
"Is this top-tier program a Top 19 or Top 22 program?"
"I did NOT get an interview from a non-top 10 place!! XANAXXX NOW."
"Boston vs. Chicago vs. NY vs. SanFran... - HELP PLZ!!"
"Cards cards cards interventional cards cards EP cards cards cards"

-------------
"Hey, what's your favorite brand of beer?"
** tumbleweed blows by **

Well done, SDN. :laugh:

So my douchey attending apologized for being a douche yesterday. Gave me a lame reason, but I can tell an olive branch when I see one.

Nice to see the IM forums are nearly as dead as they always are... and props to those of you at least attempting to make this forum as human as possible. But the heaviest traffic, yet again can be found at:

"OMG Step 1 258, Step 2 251, am I screwed out of Top 25 programs?? :("
"Is this top-tier program a Top 19 or Top 22 program?"
"I did NOT get an interview from a non-top 10 place!! XANAXXX NOW."
"Boston vs. Chicago vs. NY vs. SanFran... - HELP PLZ!!"
"Cards cards cards interventional cards cards EP cards cards cards"

-------------
"Hey, what's your favorite brand of beer?"
** tumbleweed blows by **

Well done, SDN. :laugh:

I lawld

So my douchey attending apologized for being a douche yesterday. Gave me a lame reason, but I can tell an olive branch when I see one.

He must be checking our forum regularly!

Bahahahahaha
We're also getting the "DEEP THROAT REVEALS ALL ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE PROGRAM" threads that as usual make chief year out to be the most thankless job...ever

JDH, did the attending revert to form yet?

Bahahahahaha
We're also getting the "DEEP THROAT REVEALS ALL ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE PROGRAM" threads that as usual make chief year out to be the most thankless job...ever

JDH, did the attending revert to form yet?

revert to form? maybe it's early but I'm not sure I follow . . . he did apologize, and was actually pretty cool yesterday. cut me loose real soon after rounds.

we all have bad days - some of us kick the dog more than others though

Actually, its on my list!! I will watch it during the week for sure.

I most recently watched (The secret in their eyes). Highly recommended!!!

I saw "Secret in their eyes", I would give it a B+. But more recently with the same male lead, I saw "Nine Queens (Nueve Reinas)" Which was freaking fantastic!

Nueve reinas was fascinating!!! Try to check (Plata quemada) and (El espinazo del diablo) if you havent already

On the way to the code please check the cover of the currently best selling medical book in the universe . . .

twrjy7pof.jpg

A few people this morning forgot to do this. A few nurses this morning, who should have known better, lost their sheet. It wasn't helpful. Codes should be calm. If you're not calm in a code, you need to go to more. Lastly, just because you're flipping your sheet, don't expect me to. Compression, epi, rhythm check - we will continue this in two minute intervals, until I call said code or decide to shock the patient. I may at any time suggest other drugs or interventions. Screeching like a harpy is not in the algorithm.

Also, if you are my friendly neighborhood hematologist/oncologist "consulting" (wink,wink,nudge,nudge) on a patient of yours who I am taking care of for you (you are welcome) please mind the EF of 10% before dumping in 2 units of blood the patient does not need. This makes the patient hypoxic, and hypoxic hearts with low EFs can go into funny rhythms . . . that is all . . .

Screeching like a harpy

I am turning blue here .... hahaha ... This is the funniest line I have heard since Curb your Enthusiasm's last episode

On the way to the code please check the cover of the currently best selling medical book in the universe . . .

twrjy7pof.jpg

A few people this morning forgot to do this. A few nurses this morning, who should have known better, lost their sheet. It wasn't helpful. Codes should be calm. If you're not calm in a code, you need to go to more. Lastly, just because you're flipping your sheet, don't expect me to. Compression, epi, rhythm check - we will continue this in two minute intervals, until I call said code or decide to shock the patient. I may at any time suggest other drugs or interventions. Screeching like a harpy is not in the algorithm.

I have been told that I look "too calm and relaxed" indirectly by attendings who I have never worked with.... so, I think that there might be a school of docs that like the shrieking/frazzled approach to codes

I have been told that I look "too calm and relaxed" indirectly by attendings who I have never worked with.... so, I think that there might be a school of docs that like the shrieking/frazzled approach to codes

Ha!! what are they talking about!?? this is a GIFT not to be taken lightly!! :D

You and me, my friend, are cut from the same cloth. I think too often some people think if you're not freaking out, you're not taking things serious.

You and me, my friend, are cut from the same cloth. I think too often some people think if you're not freaking out, you're not taking things serious.

Perhaps I should take a lesson from George (and actually do the same work that I do)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9ma2UVLHM[/YOUTUBE]

Man, I feel like pancakes. I'm going to IHOP for dinner and I'm going to **** up some pancakes. I'm serious too. Don't they have some sort of all you can eat pancakes thing?

Man, I feel like pancakes. I'm going to IHOP for dinner and I'm going to **** up some pancakes. I'm serious too. Don't they have some sort of all you can eat pancakes thing?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OjLG92qXfSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After it was all over....he took us in the house and served us pancakes........(silence)....pancakes.

sorry. i failed my "embedding video" rotation during 3rd year.

sorry. i failed my "embedding video" rotation during 3rd year.

you take the last part of the video tag in the web address and dump it into the youtube tags here. All you have to do is click on it while posting, dump in between (also known as "the part after the 'v='").

In this case "OjLG92qXfSg"

Like so . . .

[YOUTUBE]OjLG92qXfSg[/YOUTUBE]

If you want to see what it looks like, quote my post and you'll see the correct syntax.

I take mine with strawberry syrup because I'm still 5 years old bitches!

you take the last part of the video tag in the web address and dump it into the youtube tags here. All you have to do is click on it while posting, dump in between (also known as "the part after the 'v='").

In this case "OjLG92qXfSg"

Like so . . .

[YOUTUBE]OjLG92qXfSg[/YOUTUBE]

If you want to see what it looks like, quote my post and you'll see the correct syntax.

I take mine with strawberry syrup because I'm still 5 years old bitches!

Harvest grain pancakes from IHOP are the shizz...

I will have to check that out. For some reason that movie bio reminded me of "Twin Falls Idaho". This one is a love story unlike any other...
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0162830/

In turn, I am surprised that this film (which probably is a cult film) escaped my collection!! Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Adding to the unusual love stories film, this must be checked out as well

In the mood for love
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118694/

I lived with two film majors in undergrad (yes, they are now managers at local chain restaurants) and we watched a lot of great movies. David Lynch movies stood out in particular. I'll try to recall some others.

David Lynch's world is a beautiful one.

I remember watching Mulholland Drive on a particular evening after an exam, and I happened to be sleep deprived ... This definitely enhanced the experience of the film

I think that Marc Forster in (Stay) was successful in giving me the same feelings that I have when I watch Lynch. Also worth a shot http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/

Darren Aronofsky is also prominent. (Pi) is a film I loved really, and reminded me a lot of (Foucault's pendulum) (No, not only the Kabbalah lol)

everything by Andrey Tarkovskiy, and Richard Linklater should be watched as well

There was a movie we watched 8-9 yrs ago (I believe there were 2 or 3 movies in a series)...really quirky, set in LA. The lead character was named "Dark" and he had this intense mural on his bedroom wall of a guy blowing his brains out. I believe Rose McGowan was in it as a minor character. I can't remember the director or the name of the movie(s). This is just a shot in the dark hoping someone will recognize the movie I'm talking about. I googled with no luck.

Okay, dont be insulted if this is not the one, but is it (Donnie Darko) you are talking about?

I realize that DD is not a series, and that McGowan was not in it

LOL...not insulted and that's not the movie.:D