The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm such a luddite, finally figured out this "epic from home" nonsense.

I like it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm such a luddite, finally figured out this "epic from home" nonsense.

I like it.

I haven't written a clinic note in clinic since about halfway through intern year. Epic and CPRS from home (with a beer in hand) FTW.

Other people say, "but then you're just bringing work home with you." True enough...but a) it's difficult to bring beer to work with me (not difficult so much as frowned upon) so it's a reasonable trade-off as far as I'm concerned and b) but then I'd be at work 2 hours longer writing notes.

everyone will be leaving us soon

things will pick up in here around match time - someone will think it's a good idea to post where people match with stats - and when everyone with a hopkins/ucsf/brigham/massgen pipes up, everyone else kind of loses interest, while the pretty kids fellate each other a bit and that thread dies

and then the forum goes quiet for the most part until mid summer when everyone starts asking about their chances, and it all begins again

I can't wait to crush some wide-eyed 4th years dreams :smuggrin:

Anyways, does anyone read Harrison's these days? I feel the obligation looming over me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't written a clinic note in clinic since about halfway through intern year. Epic and CPRS from home (with a beer in hand) FTW.

Other people say, "but then you're just bringing work home with you." True enough...but a) it's difficult to bring beer to work with me (not difficult so much as frowned upon) so it's a reasonable trade-off as far as I'm concerned and b) but then I'd be at work 2 hours longer writing notes.

^^THIS for sure.

Set up wasn't exactly hard. I'm a ******. But this should surprise no one on this board.

Don't do anything stupid like that.
Does anyone read Harrison's anymore? I got a copy of the most recent edition for Christmas and it sure looks pretty on my shelf, and I'm with DVN--I feel the obligation to start reading it.

On the other hand, I'm having a lot more fun doing other stuff right now--specifically, NOT reading Harrison's.

If you were stranded on a island for years, say as in LOST. If only one type of doctor could be there, what type would you choose?

Family, ER, or Jack Shepard Neurosurgeon?

If you were stranded on a island for years, say as in LOST. If only one type of doctor could be there, what type would you choose?

Family, ER, or Jack Shepard Neurosurgeon?

Just my $0.02, but on a desert Island, without any access to basic medical supplies like antibiotics and sterile (or even non-sterile) surgical equipment, I don't see any of these being particularly useful.

I would vote for a psychiatrist trained in psychoanalysis because the biggest threat to me on a desert island would probably be going insane.

Otherwise, I guess FM because they are the most known for being "jack of all trades."

Donald Eugene Sisco

Although, reflecting upon my background, its probably not the best of ideas

Just my $0.02, but on a desert Island, without any access to basic medical supplies like antibiotics and sterile (or even non-sterile) surgical equipment, I don't see any of these being particularly useful.

I would vote for a psychiatrist trained in psychoanalysis because the biggest threat to me on a desert island would probably be going insane.

Otherwise, I guess FM because they are the most known for being "jack of all trades."

According to all the movies and TV shows I have watched, we would eventually find an old hospital or clinic on the island. After that, we will find Jessica Alba as the long lost cast-away. I wish I was Jack Shepard :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take a tool, a book, and a personal item to the island, what are you all taking?

All this talk about desert islands is only reinforcing how lonely this forum is now that rank lists are in.

Yeah. They just use use. Won't even call the next day.

That makes me think... on a desert island, my tool would be a swiss army knife. my book would be a satellite phone repair manual. my personal item would be a satellite phone. i'm getting off this island.

Tool=A long sword
Book=The Game of Thrones Collections
Personal Item=A scabbard for my sword

I decided to take over the island by force.

Mary Ann Vs. Ginger

For you younger folk, I talking Gilligan's Island.

You can take a tool, a book, and a personal item to the island, what are you all taking?

Tool:
pillow
Book: "365 Sex Positions" by Lisa Sweet
Personal item: Jessica Alba (or any hot girl who wants to try 365 positions before she dies)

On a side note, I saw a dbag yesterday wearing his scrubs & white coat at a Starbucks that was ~2 miles away from the hospital... c'mon now, really?

Tool:
pillow
Personal item: Jessica Alba (or any hot girl who wants to try 365 positions before she dies)

On a side note, I saw a dbag yesterday wearing his scrubs & white coat at a Starbucks that was ~2 miles away from the hospital... c'mon now, really?

Castration ... this is the only way to deal with these weasels ...

worse are the weasels/weaselettes that wear scrubs in the subway from home to the hospital

I asked this before but in not sure where....where online do we find our match results

Castration ... this is the only way to deal with these weasels ...

lol not a weasel... just a guy in his mid 20s with a "carpe diem" point of view. :D
IMO, hooking up is a 2-way street... unless you're a rapscallion who puts benzos in girls' drinks.

worse are the weasels/weaselettes that wear scrubs in the subway from home to the hospital

I remember third year, about a month in, my buddy asked me to meet him for drinks one night at a spot close to the main hospital but rather far from the children's hospital. I showed up in normal person clothes. He showed up in scrubs. This is a nice-ish restaurant, mind you. I just wanted to slap him.

I have made my dislike of scrubs in the everyday world well known but no one seems to listen to me.

lol not a weasel... just a guy in his mid 20s with a "carpe diem" point of view.
IMO, hooking up is a 2-way street... unless you're a rapscallion who puts benzos in girls' drinks.

I remember third year, about a month in, my buddy asked me to meet him for drinks one night at a spot close to the main hospital but rather far from the children's hospital. I showed up in normal person clothes. He showed up in scrubs. This is a nice-ish restaurant, mind you. I just wanted to slap him.

I have made my dislike of scrubs in the everyday world well known but no one seems to listen to me.

Not only its dangerous to the community and the patients, but it also reeks with laziness ... What the heck was that guy thinking going to a starbucks 2 miles away from the hospital in scrubs ... not only scrubs ... a lab coat as well ...

on a side note,

I heard that mayo surgery residents are to wear full biz attire (tie, shirt, dressy pants etc) every time they go in and see a patient. its something that has got to do with the (customer care) attitude that mayo as a corporation holds. I heard that their residents change their clothes many times a day just because of this policy. maybe an urban myth.

on a side note,

I heard that mayo surgery residents are to wear full biz attire (tie, shirt, dressy pants etc) every time they go in and see a patient. its something that has got to do with the (customer care) attitude that mayo as a corporation holds. I heard that their residents change their clothes many times a day just because of this policy. maybe an urban myth.
I'm obviously not a Mayo surgery resident, but this isn't hard to believe. When I interviewed at Mayo they made a big enough deal about every Medicine intern wearing a suit every day that this doesn't seem like a stretch at all to me.

That makes me think... on a desert island, my tool would be a swiss army knife. my book would be a satellite phone repair manual. my personal item would be a satellite phone. i'm getting off this island.

That book has one page; written on that page is "return to dealer or factory for repair or replacement". The book is unlikely for you to go all "Professor" on it; more like "Gilligan".

And, as a sidelight, how many time would you let Gilligan f up everything before you said, "sorry buddy, but you're done. You're lunch tomorrow"? Two screwups, being charitable?

I'm obviously not a Mayo surgery resident, but this isn't hard to believe. When I interviewed at Mayo they made a big enough deal about every Medicine intern wearing a suit every day that this doesn't seem like a stretch at all to me.

which brings me to this question:

should residents wear a shirt and tie everyday in your opinion?

which brings me to this question:

should residents wear a shirt and tie everyday in your opinion?
In my opinion--shirt, yes. I'm kind of conflicted on the tie because of all the evidence showing how filthy they are. I do appreciate the formality and professionalism they represent... for that reason bowties do represent a good alternative (even if only some guys can pull them off.)

I had the same concern over ties, but this seems unsettled in all institutions!!

Then is it safe to say its a personal preference?

Halligan tool, edible plants of the world, working satellite phone with fully charged battery.

CleverGirl_Fullpic_1.gif

Tool:
pillow

I am outraged for every woman trying to not be treated like a sex object!!

(no I'm not)

The white coat is too much, but I'll wear my scrubs home and stop at grocery or take out on the way home. :shrug:

I am outraged for every woman trying to not be treated like a sex object!!

(no I'm not)

The white coat is too much, but I'll wear my scrubs home and stop at grocery or take out on the way home. :shrug:

The idea here is that the DB waltzed 3 km in scrubs and a white coat -_-

And, as a sidelight, how many time would you let Gilligan f up everything before you said, "sorry buddy, but you're done. You're lunch tomorrow"? Two screwups, being charitable?

You'd have to "accident" Gilligan, for real. Though I'm not sure I could eat him. I'd have to be really, really hungry.

Nice pair of slacks, a button-up shirt and a clean white coat.
Well groomed hair, good oral hygiene, and a smile on your face.

is this shared by the powers that be in your institution as gutonc elucidated :D

I don't know.

I'm a pulm/crit fellow - we kind of exist at the edges of the formal academic environment, so no one seems to blink when they see us in scrubs.