suckermc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
dunno, i was reading the aamcas statisitcs on retakers, and some website that calculates how much you can expect to go up on a retake. it does not look good--about only 2 points total. does any one have any input on this? if thats true, i guess there is no point in studying? :(

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Beat the odds.

I went up 4 points and got a 36 as a non-trad. Both of those buck the statistics. You're the master of your own destiny.

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
yay--take it again!! it's so much fun!

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
I went up 5 points when I retook it. Second time I studied more effectively and did a lot more practice tests.

Will Ferrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
ignore those statistics. if you want to significantly improve, work and you'll do it.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Will Ferrell said:
ignore those statistics. if you want to significantly improve, work and you'll do it.
Agree. :thumbup: I went up nine points, which is really a lot when you consider that I scored 34 the first time.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
QofQuimica said:
Agree. :thumbup: I went up nine points, which is really a lot when you consider that I scored 34 the first time.
:laugh:

I wonder if you're the only person who switched numbers from a 34 to a 43? :laugh:

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
MoosePilot said:
:laugh:

I wonder if you're the only person who switched numbers from a 34 to a 43? :laugh:
I try to make my life as symmetrical as possible. :laugh:

Crazy Canuck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Ontario
Status
Other Health Professions Student
h

Crazy Canuck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Ontario
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Don't listen to the statistics. I actually wrote 3x. I went from a 24 to a 30 to a 34. (But I'm NOT going to even attempt to trade the 34 for a 43 :p)If you put in the effort, practice lots and learn from your mistakes on the practice tests, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Crazy Canuck said:
Don't listen to the statistics. I actually wrote 3x. I went from a 24 to a 30 to a 34.
that's great!! :) :)

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
What is the line that Han Solo says in Star Wars?

"Don't ever tell me the odds!"

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
gujuDoc said:
Nikki smokes weed and pot and snorts heroin, so she's losing her mind. just kidding with ya. :D :D :D

:laugh: :laugh:
that would be really offensive if it weren't true. just kidding!! :laugh:

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i just like taking the mcat ok--i've told you that before

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Nikki2002 said:
i just like taking the mcat ok--i've told you that before
hey, I took it twice, and I'm still normal. Well, aren't I???? Don't just stand there without saying anything!!! :mad: :smuggrin:

silverjelly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
QofQuimica said:
Why the HECK did you write it again?

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
silverjelly said:
Why the HECK did you write it again?
b/c the first time I took it was in 1996, and most med schools want scores from 2003 or newer to apply for c/o 2010. Believe me, if I hadn't had to retake it, I wouldn't have. ;)

RayhanS1282

perpetually percolated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2004
Sucking long and hard in New York
Visit site
Status
suckermc said:
dunno, i was reading the aamcas statisitcs on retakers, and some website that calculates how much you can expect to go up on a retake. it does not look good--about only 2 points total. does any one have any input on this? if thats true, i guess there is no point in studying? :(

Screw the stats...it was made for and by statistic-philes. I hate having everything figured out by a bell curve and all that noise. Work hard and try your best and you can increase your score by however much you are capable of. And personally, I went from a 25 to a 31 so, it can go up more than 2 points

.edu-MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status
RayhanS1282 said:
Screw the stats...it was made for and by statistic-philes. I hate having everything figured out by a bell curve and all that noise. Work hard and try your best and you can increase your score by however much you are capable of. And personally, I went from a 25 to a 31 so, it can go up more than 2 points
If it were all a bell curve, then you messed someone over by making them DROP 6 points on the retest :) And I'd hate to meet the person who dropped the 9 points to offset Q's increase.

Stats are just descriptive...they are based on what has already occurred. So don't limit yourself based on what the trend has been before you. They don't strike me as that useful as predictors...see how bad the weather forecasters are. One of the few jobs for which a fat groundhog can do better :) Even Cleo seems to have a better track record than some TV weatherpeople I've listened to.

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
amk25a said:
If it were all a bell curve, then you messed someone over by making them DROP 6 points on the retest :) And I'd hate to meet the person who dropped the 9 points to offset Q's increase.
:eek: :oops:

Saluki

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
QofQuimica said:
I can't believe you retook it after getting a 34! I would have stopped right there....

doctorJP

Mr. Pragmatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
RayhanS1282 said:
I do not agree with your post at all. Anybody that had sufficient training in statistics would not say such a thing. I do not mean to sound harsh as my some of my posts tend to be interpreted that way. We live in a world of statistics and any statistic you see from an accredited source, such as statistics Canada and whatever the equivalent is in the US, are accurate to within some percentage of the original figure. I'm assuming the AAMC is somewhat accredited and does not post inaccurate figures, so the fact that people only increase an average of 2-3 points is quite correct.

Now that being said, only a small percentage of people that write the MCAT are part of this forum, so of course you are going to hear wonder stories about 5-9 point increase and they can all be true. These people were obviously the ones that put in the effort and time to increase their mark, and were the ones to realize that a 5-9 point increase will not just happen with some wishful thinking. Most degrees require you to take a basic course in statistics at the first or second year level and I can assure you that averages, medians, standard deviations, etc. are only the tip of the iceberg when statistics are calculated. Anyways, there is no doubt that anybody can rise above everybody else and be better than the "statistics", everybody just has a different story to tell.

If your original post was meant to encourage people not to become part of the statistics and to encourage them to be better than what the AAMC says is normal, i.e. the 2 point increase, than accept my regrets in advance and consider this post a supplement to your ideas.

QofQuimica

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Dudes, my score was EXPIRED. When I took the test the first time, most of you guys were in elementary or maybe middle school. :rolleyes: The med schools won't accept a score from the mid-1990s; I had no choice but to retake. :rolleyes: :oops:

JustR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
In one’s conception
Status
QofQuimica said:
Dudes, my score was EXPIRED. When I took the test the first time, most of you guys were in elementary or maybe middle school. :rolleyes: The med schools won't accept a score from the mid-1990s; I had no choice but to retake. :rolleyes: :oops:
why didn't you request a regrade?

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Yeah--i love my 2 little bros and my lil sis--but i'm glad i'm the oldest--that's for sure

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
gujuDoc said:
Nikki smokes weed and pot and snorts heroin, so she's losing her mind. just kidding with ya. :D :D :D

:laugh: :laugh:
hey guju--guess what? i am not the only one around here on drugs........lol!!

RayhanS1282

perpetually percolated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2004
Sucking long and hard in New York
Visit site
Status
doctorJP said:
I do not agree with your post at all. Anybody that had sufficient training in statistics would not say such a thing. I do not mean to sound harsh as my some of my posts tend to be interpreted that way. We live in a world of statistics and any statistic you see from an accredited source, such as statistics Canada and whatever the equivalent is in the US, are accurate to within some percentage of the original figure. I'm assuming the AAMC is somewhat accredited and does not post inaccurate figures, so the fact that people only increase an average of 2-3 points is quite correct.

Now that being said, only a small percentage of people that write the MCAT are part of this forum, so of course you are going to hear wonder stories about 5-9 point increase and they can all be true. These people were obviously the ones that put in the effort and time to increase their mark, and were the ones to realize that a 5-9 point increase will not just happen with some wishful thinking. Most degrees require you to take a basic course in statistics at the first or second year level and I can assure you that averages, medians, standard deviations, etc. are only the tip of the iceberg when statistics are calculated. Anyways, there is no doubt that anybody can rise above everybody else and be better than the "statistics", everybody just has a different story to tell.

If your original post was meant to encourage people not to become part of the statistics and to encourage them to be better than what the AAMC says is normal, i.e. the 2 point increase, than accept my regrets in advance and consider this post a supplement to your ideas.

I'll admit I didn't have sufficient training or even knowledge about statistics, I am only aware of the food pyramid in terms of statistics. My post wasn't meant as any offense to statistics (although in hindsight, it is a little hostile to statistics). My post was intended to reflect the idea in your last paragraph. I just didn't want the OP to get discouraged seeing 2 points or 3 points increases and undermine his/her confidence. Of course I know statistics are important, I participated in the Census thing a few years back. Anyways, ignore what I said before.

silverjelly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
QofQuimica said:
b/c the first time I took it was in 1996, and most med schools want scores from 2003 or newer to apply for c/o 2010. Believe me, if I hadn't had to retake it, I wouldn't have. ;)

Aaaah . . .

OP
suckermc

suckermc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
silverjelly said:
Aaaah . . .

i am surprised so many people posted.

look, i took statistics, game theory, i worked with statisitcal anaylsis/genetics in my lab. i usually believe in statisitics so that is why 2 point increase got me depressed! i trust that stuff.
but i also know, and my professors and even in my own research the WAY statisics are interpreted varies. most researchers in journals put only the stats that give them better results (god i have been thru so many meetings with scientists arguing over other papers stats), and there are many ways to punch data (those who have done it know what i mean: like ANOVA vs chi square vs whatever.). or view them. so, since the aamc doesnt say what they used i just wanted to see what was possible. it doesnt give stats by year. it doesnt reflect how much retakers prepared. and all that bs. i just wanted to shake the feeling i was playing the lottery.

so thanks guys, and congrats to you all. ququimica(sp?) when i grow up, i wanna be like you.

jebus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Status
MoosePilot said:
Beat the odds.

I went up 4 points and got a 36 as a non-trad. Both of those buck the statistics. You're the master of your own destiny.
Whoo Hooo! I did the same. Way to "beat the odds"...

blkkd

Electrically relaxing
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Its definetly possible to increase your score. It depends how much effort you put in. I took examkrackers which is great but i didn't really study much the first time. Did awful, then the next year i did the same thing haha....but i had taken all of the prereq. courses that time around so my score went up 4 points. If i really sat down and concentrated i know i could have had above 35 but hey thats what happens when you think 21 credits a semester is a good idea....