The Offical "Oh Crap! I have to take shirt off in OMM lab in August" Workout Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The hurt goes away, especially if you use the right nutritional supplements to support recovery.

Speaking of...my partner at work who's pushing the whole thing on my has talked me into buying Muscle Milk. I don't mind the taste too much if I make it with milk, so its not bad, it its pretty $$$. One of the fire fighters I work with told me he can get a different type of protein shake at Sam's for MUCH less and all the FFs say that its better too. Any advice from anyone on the best protein shakes?

Nate.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of...my partner at work who's pushing the whole thing on my has talked me into buying Muscle Milk. I don't mind the taste too much if I make it with milk, so its not bad, it its pretty $$$. One of the fire fighters I work with told me he can get a different type of protein shake at Sam's for MUCH less and all the FFs say that its better too. Any advice from anyone on the best protein shakes?

Nate.

From what I've seen, the quality is all about the same among whey proteins. There is a difference between isolate and concentrate with the isolate supposedly being better, but ~20 g of 100% complete protein is ~20 g of 100% complete protein. Right now, my local Sam's Club is selling Muscle Milk. I just switched to ON Whey. I get it at fitrx.com . It is cheaper, and the vanilla ice cream flavor tastes just like vanilla ice cream. Take it with pure creatine and glutamine every day along with lots of fluids. The creatine will protect against lactic acid buildup, and the glutamine and fluids will protect your kidneys.

Nate.

I definitely wouldn't recommend muscle milk. It has a good amount of protein per serving, but it also has a lot of FAT! Like 18 grams total and 8 grams of saturated fat. It also has about 360 calories per serving. I have heard guys in the weight room that swear by it, but they are also the guys that are about 20% body fat. They think that because they gained weight on the product that it must have worked. In terms of taste, you won't find another protein product that tastes as good as Muscle Milk (of course you could down a milk shake, and it would be similiar in it's nutritional content). Try looking for a whey protein that has around 30g per serving with more like 3.5-4 grams of fat. Some people prefer the taste of soy over whey, and if you would rather, soy protein is also a good option. Good luck to you, and keep training hard!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
most of those protein shakes and powders have artificial sweeteners. i would stay away from the ones that do. first of all because they are not good for you, and also because you do need some carbs before and after work outs, not just protein. even if you are only lifting.

I've heard some REALLY bad reviews about Muscle Milk. Not for the protein it provides, but for the other ingredients it contains. I've read a few different articles that say the same thing, and though I'm not trying to portray this as fact, it was enough to make me stay away from it. From what I've read, Muscle Milk contains cow colostrum which is potentially neurologically damaging. Please, if anyone has better or more accurate information, feel free to correct me. Until then, I'm going to stick to using the 100% whey protein. :oops:

I definitely wouldn't recommend muscle milk. It has a good amount of protein per serving, but it also has a lot of FAT! Like 18 grams total and 8 grams of saturated fat. It also has about 360 calories per serving. I have heard guys in the weight room that swear by it, but they are also the guys that are about 20% body fat. They think that because they gained weight on the product that it must have worked. In terms of taste, you won't find another protein product that tastes as good as Muscle Milk (of course you could down a milk shake, and it would be similiar in it's nutritional content). Try looking for a whey protein that has around 30g per serving with more like 3.5-4 grams of fat. Some people prefer the taste of soy over whey, and if you would rather, soy protein is also a good option. Good luck to you, and keep training hard!!!!!
Soy is not a complete protein, and it is loaded with phytoestrogens. Estrogens coursing through your body isn't very conducive to building muscle, or losing weight. The only complete proteins I'm aware of are whey and egg. Bovine serum albumin might be, I haven't looked into it because that is just creepy and might lead to prion diseases.

most of those protein shakes and powders have artificial sweeteners. i would stay away from the ones that do. first of all because they are not good for you, and also because you do need some carbs before and after work, not just protein. even if you are only lifting.

You are correct, you need to replace the glycogen that you just burned up after a workout, or your muscle can break down. You can add carbs to it. I do.

Soy is not a complete protein, and it is loaded with phytoestrogens. Estrogens coursing through your body isn't very conducive to building muscle, or losing weight. The only complete proteins I'm aware of are whey and egg. Bovine serum albumin might be, I haven't looked into it because that is just creepy and might lead to prion diseases.

YOU ARE WRONG! Soy is a complete protein. Egg protein is the only one that scores a 100 on biological value score. A PDCAA value is a measure of the completeness of the protein, and you are correct Whey scores a little higher on this scale. In terms of digestibility and encorporation of the essential amino acids into our own tissues, EGG is the best source of protein you can consume.

YOU ARE WRONG! Soy is a complete protein. Egg protein is the only one that scores a 100 on biological value score. A PDCAA value is a measure of the completeness of the protein, and you are correct Whey scores a little higher on this scale. In terms of digestibility and encorporation of the essential amino acids into our own tissues, EGG is the best source of protein you can consume.

You are wrong:
As such the analytical method that is universally recognized by the FAO/WHO (1990) as well as the FDA, USDA, United Nations University (UNU) and the National Academy of Sciences when judging the quality of protein is Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, as it is viewed as accurately measuring the correct relative nutritional value of animal and vegetable sources of protein in the diet.[7][8] Based on this method, soy protein is considered to have a similar equivalent in protein quality to animal proteins. Egg white has a score of 1.00, beef 0.92, isolated soy protein 0.92, and soy concentrate 0.99.​
Source: Wikipedia

Having a BV less than 1.00 is not a complete protein. Eggs and whey both actually score above 1.00, but this is rounded to 1.00.

Oh yeah, and eggs and whey aren't loaded with phytoestrogens.

You are wrong:
As such the analytical method that is universally recognized by the FAO/WHO (1990) as well as the FDA, USDA, United Nations University (UNU) and the National Academy of Sciences when judging the quality of protein is Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, as it is viewed as accurately measuring the correct relative nutritional value of animal and vegetable sources of protein in the diet.[7][8] Based on this method, soy protein is considered to have a similar equivalent in protein quality to animal proteins. Egg white has a score of 1.00, beef 0.92, isolated soy protein 0.92, and soy concentrate 0.99.​
Source: Wikipedia

Having a BV less than 1.00 is not a complete protein. Eggs and whey both actually score above 1.00, but this is rounded to 1.00.

Oh yeah, and eggs and whey aren't loaded with phytoestrogens.

We will have to agree to disagree. There seems to be some disagreement in the scientific community about the definition of a complete protein. My nutrition professor (Ph.D in biochemistry and human nutrition), labels is as a complete protein, so I will stick with my point of view.

Here is some stuff that I found:

Wikipedia:

Soybeans are a source of complete protein.[2] Soybean protein is essentially identical to that of other legume pulse {that is to say legume proteins in general, consist of 7S and 11S storage proteins} vegetable proteins. Additionally, soy protein has the highest yield per square meter of growing area, and is the least expensive source of dietary protein. A complete protein is one that contains significant amounts of all the essential amino acids that must be provided to the human body because of the body's inability to synthesize them. For this reason, soy is important to many vegetarians and vegans. However, the phrase 'complete protein' is not entirely agreed-upon in usage by the scientific community

Soybean.org-

The PDCAAS you are referring to was as of 1990:
Soy is a complete protein according to the method of evaluating protein quality adopted by the FDA in 1991: "Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score" (PDCAAS). Older methods, such as the Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) based protein quality for humans on the growth of young rats, which have vastly different amino acid requirements than humans. When consumed at the recommended level of protein intake, soy protein contains sufficient amounts of all essential amino acids for human nutrition. In addition, soy protein quality is considered to be equivalent to animal protein. More information can be found at Stratsoy.

Bodybuilding.com (not that I consider this a reputable source, but they usually get the simple aspects of nutrition correct)-

Soy protein is a complete protein that ranks right up there with the best in the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). Soy protein is generally very low in or free of fat, cholesterol, and lactose.

There are also some studies that have linked soy protein to lowering your risk for CHD (not relevant to our discussion, but very important).

We will have to agree to disagree. There seems to be some disagreement in the scientific community about the definition of a complete protein. My nutrition professor (Ph.D in biochemistry and human nutrition), labels is as a complete protein, so I will stick with my point of view.

Here is some stuff that I found:

Wikipedia:

Soybeans are a source of complete protein.[2] Soybean protein is essentially identical to that of other legume pulse {that is to say legume proteins in general, consist of 7S and 11S storage proteins} vegetable proteins. Additionally, soy protein has the highest yield per square meter of growing area, and is the least expensive source of dietary protein. A complete protein is one that contains significant amounts of all the essential amino acids that must be provided to the human body because of the body's inability to synthesize them. For this reason, soy is important to many vegetarians and vegans. However, the phrase 'complete protein' is not entirely agreed-upon in usage by the scientific community

Soybean.org-

The PDCAAS you are referring to was as of 1990:
Soy is a complete protein according to the method of evaluating protein quality adopted by the FDA in 1991: "Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score" (PDCAAS). Older methods, such as the Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) based protein quality for humans on the growth of young rats, which have vastly different amino acid requirements than humans. When consumed at the recommended level of protein intake, soy protein contains sufficient amounts of all essential amino acids for human nutrition. In addition, soy protein quality is considered to be equivalent to animal protein. More information can be found at Stratsoy.

Bodybuilding.com (not that I consider this a reputable source, but they usually get the simple aspects of nutrition correct)-

Here's a hint: No vegetable source is a complete protein for humans.

Where are you getting your information? It is becoming obvious that you have had little formal education in nutrition.

A complete protein, as stated above- is one that contains all of the essential amino acids in the needed amounts. An essential amino acid is one that cannot be synthesized by the body. This is why vegetarians rely so heavily on soy in their diets. Can they still get alll the essential amino acids in their diets without soy? Yes, but they would have to combine several different forms of dietary protein (ie: Legumes + Nuts).

I am done arguing with you, and I refuse to get in a flame war on some internet blog. I have much better things to do, like live in the real world.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you use wikipedia as your source your argument is automatically invalid. wikipedia can be added to and edited by anyone.

I would just say this character likes to make completely iogical arguments/comments not supported by any type of evidence/science...I learned my lesson a few days ago and moved on. He seems to believe he is an authority on a wide range of topics but it only takes a couple of his posts to realize that he really has no clue.

if you use wikipedia as your source your argument is automatically invalid. wikipedia can be added to and edited by anyone.

i disagree. Nature conducted a study which showed wiki is as accurate as Britannica. My professors allow us to cite wiki as a source for research papers.

Im only defending wiki in general, and not anything relevant to this thread and certainly not the validity of jkham's arguments.

Yes, but they are still pretty reliable. I know that argument. I edit Wikipedia, too. Many professors accept it as a reference as long as it isn't your only reference. That was a quick and easy reference. If I wanted to take the time, I could find plenty of references to support what I said.

To make a blanket statement that an "argument is automatically invalid" because someone sourced Wikipedia is totally BS.:rolleyes:

I would just say this character likes to make completely iogical arguments/comments not supported by any type of evidence/science...I learned my lesson a few days ago and moved on. He seems to believe he is an authority on a wide range of topics but it only takes a couple of his posts to realize that he really has no clue.

Just because you buy into junk science and I don't doesn't mean I don't have a clue, that would mean you don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

i disagree. Nature conducted a study which showed wiki is as accurate as Britannica. My professors allow us to cite wiki as a source for research papers.

Im only defending wiki in general, and not anything relevant to this thread and certainly not the validity of jkham's arguments.

that's interesting. do you have the nature link?
i've come across several inacurate articles on wikipedia (especially in science and politics) that's why i wouldn't trust it as the only source. and if i did, i would have a secondary source if i was using the information to make a point.

Yes, but they are still pretty reliable. I know that argument. I edit Wikipedia, too. Many professors accept it as a reference as long as it isn't your only reference. That was a quick and easy reference. If I wanted to take the time, I could find plenty of references to support what I said.

To make a blanket statement that an "argument is automatically invalid" because someone sourced Wikipedia is totally BS.:rolleyes:

i would accept it too if it wasn't your only reference :rolleyes:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html

actually, if you are referring to the china study thread, it appears you buy into jkhamlin science only and don't really believe peer-reviewed articles.

You have to understand how science works. It doesn't work by sound bites, ad hominem attacks, or people piling on someone in a thread. Just because you can cherry pick studies that seem to support what you think is true with a mere correlation, doesn't mean that that is a fact. You have to read studies with an understanding of the known basic laws. I made my arguments based on the known basic laws that you all should know from your biology classes. That's not "jkhamlin science," that's real science. Several people, instead, didn't like the facts I pointed out, and decided to use ad hominem attacks, and journal articles that they cherry picked in order to ignore the known basic laws of science. That's not real science, it's junk science.

You have to understand how science works. It doesn't work by sound bites, ad hominem attacks, or people piling on someone in a thread. Just because you can cherry pick studies that seem to support what you think is true with a mere correlation, doesn't mean that that is a fact. You have to read studies with an understanding of the known basic laws. I made my arguments based on the known basic laws that you all should know from your biology classes. That's not "jkhamlin science," that's real science. Several people, instead, didn't like the facts I pointed out, and decided to use ad hominem attacks, and journal articles that they cherry picked in order to ignore the known basic laws of science. That's not real science, it's junk science.

I understand science. I've been in research for a couple of years(and not washing glassware and prepping.) I have not many nutrition studies, but i disagree with you. Biology classes do not teach the details necessary to comprehend such complex issues. If it did then ****, we might as well not do research anymore because every bio major can solve the worlds problems. I think, whether its good or bad, many conclusions are drawn just from "sound bytes." The studies people chose in that thread seemed to be sound and parallel what they believed. I have not done my own research into the topic so I will stop here, but I just wanted to point that out since you were accusing another member of sticking to pseudoscience.

i think that this nature investigation just shows that wikipedia and britannica encyclopedias are unreliable sources of science information.

The exercise revealed numerous errors in both encyclopaedias, but among 42 entries tested, the difference in accuracy was not particularly great: the average science entry in Wikipedia contained around four inaccuracies; Britannica, about three.

Hum...I seem to have opened a proverbial can of worms here...:eek:

Back to my origional topic though, as I said, I like the muscle milk 'cause its the first one I've had that I can stand the flavor of (and if I don't like the flavor, I probably won't eat it!) As for the fat, I could probably use a little extra fat since I think the last time I had it measured (just by skin fold, I'm not hardcore enough to pay for a DEXA or anything!) I had about 6-8% body fat...I'm a skinny kid! I also don't rely on the shakes for meals, just a supliments. That being said, if you have any other suggestions that I should check out, let me know!

Nate.

I have been bodybuilding for 10 years and I can help you out with some good info. When it comes to protein I have been using designer whey for many years and it is very effective and inexpensive. I have tried so many different types and it probably works the best. I always use glutamine in every shake (10g) it shuttles in the protein. For carbs I use 35-40g dextrose for in post work out shake. This is optional, but I always use about 6 egg whites in every shake, (been eating two dozen raw egg whites a day for the past five years and have had no health problems). Here are some direct links to where I purchase from...very inexpensive.

Designer protein http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_by_114.htm

Kick a** glutamine http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_as027.htm

Dextrose http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_no098.htm

I have been making these shakes for the past 2 years and they have been working wonderfully. My diets are based off of the basal metabolic rate calculations, they work very well for me. A guy that I go to school with is a trainer and a champion bodybuilder. He has a website that is very informative, here is the link to the nutrition part of the site and the basal metabolic calculations are towards the bottom. http://www.benhartman.com/nutrition.html

Now with all the calculations and diets they are extreme and work, but they will give you an idea on the direction you need to go. One thing about myself is I love the body and it is beautiful. It is amazing what discipline and dedication will do to it, by changing the looks or just the prevention of injuries and prolonging our lives. Just remember be patient and have fun. If you have any questions I might be able to help, so just pm me.

hey guys, i have a question. i'm a girl who has been doing more intense weight training as of late, and wanted to start taking some kind of protein supplement for pre and post workout.

i've read alot about goat's whey in some of my nutrition and fitness reads. any thoughts on it?

i should add i am trying to lose a bit of weight, along with gaining more lean muscle. thanks :)

I heard taking Chromium is good for building muscle.

hey guys, i have a question. i'm a girl who has been doing more intense weight training as of late, and wanted to start taking some kind of protein supplement for pre and post workout.

i've read alot about goat's whey in some of my nutrition and fitness reads. any thoughts on it?

i should add i am trying to lose a bit of weight, along with gaining more lean muscle. thanks :)

EWWW!!! What is that? That does not sound very appetizing.:eek: :laugh:

Eat lots of tuna. The easiest way to lose fat and gain lean muscle starts by eating nothing that tastes good. I ate nothing but oatmeal, tuna, egg white, whey protein for six days a week for 3 months...worst 3 months of my life. On the seventh day I usually ate a whole pizza and maybe some pasta. For dropping a little fat I would just watch your carbohydrate intake a few hours before you go to sleep.

ughh i am an insanely picky eater. tuna is a definite no go!! oatmeal--i can only eat when its crunchy (ie: in a bar or cookie ;)), the mushy stuff skeeves me out!

lol, as for the goat's whey, i heard its better than regular whey on your stomach, but i don't know much about it, and have just been reading up on it recently. i should also add i have bad stomach, haha. so in other words, i should just stop eating and complaining!

i appreciate the input though, anyone else have any thoughts? (ones that don't include tuna :laugh:)

I also eat chicken breast cooked on the foreman grill, honestly I really do not like tuna, but I love what it does to my body. Stay away from sugars and eat low glycemic fruits. Eat often to, think of your body as a fire..the more often you feed it the higher it burns(higher metabolism), so if you just eat one big meal a day the fire will increase for a little then it will be just coals for the rest of the day.

Exercise Sets Repetitions
Clean & Press 2 8
Squats 2 12
Pullovers 2 8
Bench Presses 2 6
Good Mornings 2 8
Barbell Curls 2 8

The Breakdown of the Routine:
1.) Clean & Press: Lee would begin this movement by taking a shoulder-width grip on an Olympic barbell. Bending his knees, he would squat down in front of the resistance and, with a quick snap of his arms and a thrust from his legs, clean the barbell to his chest and stand up. After a brief pause, Lee would then thrust the barbell to arms length overhead, pause briefly, and then lower the barbell back to the top of his chest. After another brief pause, he would lower the barbell back to the floor (the starting position). With absolutely no rest, Lee would then initiate his second repetition of the movement and continue to do so until he had completed eight repetitions. After a very brief rest, so as to take full advantage of the cardio-respiratory benefits as well as the strength-building benefits, Lee would perform a second -- and final -- set.

2.) Squats: This staple of bodybuilding movements was the cornerstone of Bruce Lee's barbell training. He had dozens of articles that he'd clipped out on the mechanics and benefits of squats and he practiced many variations of this exercise. In his routine, however, he performed the exercise in the standard fashion. Resting a barbell across his shoulders, Lee would place his feet approximately shoulder-width apart. Making sure that he was properly balanced, Lee would slowly ascend to a full squat position. With absolutely zero pause in the bottom position, Lee would then immediately return -- using the strength of his hips, glutes, hamstrings, calves and quadriceps -- to the starting position, whereupon he would commence rep number two. Lee would perform 12 repetitions in this movement and, after a short breather, return and re-shoulder the barbell for one more set of 12 reps.

3.) Pullovers: Although there exists no physical evidence that Bruce Lee supersetted barbell pullovers with squats, there is reason to believe that this was case -- if only for the fact that such was the method advocated in the articles he read. Squats were considered a great "overall" muscle builder, whereas pullovers were simply considered a "rib box expander" or "breathing exercise." Consequently, the fashion of incorporating pullovers in the late 1960s and early 1970s was as a "finishing" movement for squats. This being the case, Lee would perform the movement in the standard fashion; i.e., by lying down on his back upon a flat bench and taking a shoulder-width grip on a barbell that he would then proceed to press out to full extension above his chest. From this position, Lee would lower the barbell -- making sure to keep a slight bend in his elbows so as not to strain the elbow joint -- behind his head until it touched the floor ever so slightly and provided a comfortable stretch to his lats. From this fully-extended position, Lee would then slowly reverse the motion through the contraction of his lats, pecs and long-head of the triceps. He would repeat this movement for two sets of eight repetitions.

4.) Bench Presses: Bruce Lee was able to develop an incredible chest musculature. His upper pecs were particularly impressive, bunching and splitting into thousands of fibrous bands. And, as far as his personal training records indicate, the only direct barbell movement he performed to develop his chest was the good old fashioned bench press. Lying down upon a flat bench, and again taking a shoulder-width grip on an Olympic barbell, Lee would press the weight off the support pins to arms length above his chest. From this locked-out position, Lee would then lower the barbell to his chest and, exhaling, press it back up to the fully-locked out (or starting) position. He would repeat this movement for six repetitions and then, after a brief respite, return to the bench for one more set of six reps.

5.) Good Mornings: A word of caution about this exercise. Lee performed this movement to strengthen his lower back. However, one day in early 1970 he loaded up the bar with 135 pounds (his bodyweight at the time) and -- without a warm up -- proceeded to knock off eight repetitions. On his last rep he felt a "pop" and found out later that he had damaged the fourth sacral nerve of his lower back. The result was the Lee had to endure incredible back pain for the remainder of his life. This is not to say that the movement is without merit, just make sure that you perform an adequate warm-up prior to employing, it. Placing a barbell across his shoulders, Lee would place his feet three inches apart (Lee would later confide to Dan Inosanto "You really don't need any weight but the empty bar on your shoulders Dan -- it's more of a limbering movement") and bend over from the waist keeping his hands on the barbell at all times. Lee would bend over until his back was at a 90 degree angle to his hips and then return to the upright position. Lee performed two sets of eight repetitions of this movement.

6.) Barbell Curls: Bruce Lee performed barbell curls not only in his garage gym on Roscomare Avenue in Bel Air, but also in his studio office in Hong Kong. They were a staple or "core" movement in his weight training routine and were also responsible for building a very impressive pair of biceps on Lee -- not to mention incredible pulling power, which he used to such good effect in all of his sparring sessions! To perform this movement properly, Lee would take a comfortable shoulder-width grip on the barbell with his palms facing forwards. Keeping a slight bend in his knees for stabilization purposes, Lee would then contract his biceps and curl the barbell up to a point level with his upper pecs. Pausing briefly in this fully-contracted position, Lee would then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position. Two sets of eight repetitions of this movement would typically wrap up Lee's bodybuilding routine.

whoa thats pretty intense.

i just came back from finishing a half marathon 1:29:30 (new pr woot!) and screaming & yelling at the colts vs patriots game... so whats the quickest way to recover?

i've been just icing my legs right after & drank a whole lot of vitamin water & gatorade.. anything else to speed up the process?

Too damn lazy to work out, I guess Ill be the pudgy one everyone laughs at lol.....

For all the muscle milk drinkers, it is actually a predominately casein protein based supplement. Which, if taken, should be taken prior to bedtime. It also has whey which digests much faster. Of regular foods, eggs, as stated above are probably the best protein, almost completely utilized and fast digesting. Fish and chicken are good too, red meat and fatty pork are the slower ones to digest. For as complete protein source from a non-animal source look for Quinoa, it's a seed that you cook just like rice. Very good for you, almost a perfect food.

For all the muscle milk drinkers, it is actually a predominately casein protein based supplement. Which, if taken, should be taken prior to bedtime. It also has whey which digests much faster. Of regular foods, eggs, as stated above are probably the best protein, almost completely utilized and fast digesting. Fish and chicken are good too, red meat and fatty pork are the slower ones to digest. For as complete protein source from a non-animal source look for Quinoa, it's a seed that you cook just like rice. Very good for you, almost a perfect food.
Isn't casein only found in breast milk?

the reason soy can have all amino acids is b/c it has a symbiotic relationship with bacteria that lives at the roots. this bacteria is able to convert nitrogen into a usable form for the plant. (other veggies don't have that relationship... hence can't have all amino acids)

learned that in my nutrition class... just thought it was an interesting fact....

Ha, wait until you have to do chapman points. The good ole pubic tubercle and inferior pubic ramus are always a little weird the first time you.

came back from a 20mile run yesterday to only find out that my car got broken into... now physical, mental & financial stress to the max :(
(as for the run.. up to 16miles it wasnt too bad.. past mile 17.. only thing i craved was food and some gatorade.. by mile 19, I finally realized what this "WALL" people speak of.. i was so fatigued that i was having hard time keeping my eyes open.. toughed it out though.. 20.1miles exactly. fruit &gatorade after a long run is like heaven )

sigh :thumbdown:

at least give me an acceptance letter to cheer me up please!

My workout consists of going to dance rehearsals (for 2 hours Friday and Sunday) where I end up being sore after every practice. I love gymcraftics. ^_^.

i'm starting some more serious training asap. gotta get up to 13 miles by june...

Well, how's everyone's working out going?

I've lost 22 pounds of baby weight but not by working out. My kids tire me out too much. I'll feel pretty happy in OMM lab if I can just take off the baby weight. No marathons necessary when one chases three toddlers all day long :laugh:

Hope everyone's doing well... post your progress!

with the weather breaking out, i finally took out my road bike from storage..
hopefully this weather keeps up!

glad everyone is starting the workouts early. I started my "OMG I have to take my shirt off in OMM" workout in the summer of 2006 and lost 16 pounds. Put it all back on and more 4 months into med school. In March I'm finally finding time to work out again. I'm probably 30lbs overweight. This is the start of week 4 for me.

I suggest before and after pics to be posted in August before school starts. :D

sorry if this info is posted earlier.

just get some whey protein from a reliable brand. Don't over pay for fancy protein.Whey is absorbed by muscles quickly so it is great for post/pre workout and also as a meal replacement like breakfast. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey which is an inexpensive popular quality product. It has about 4 grams of glutamine per serving so that is one less supplement to buy.

Although casein is better at night because of slow absorption there is a lot of marketing hype by protein companies to make you think you need to buy more than one type of protein. I must say that back in the early era of bodybuilding milk, eggs, and steak were the cornerstone of a great body. you could just use some whey + milk to get your casein in.

muscle milk tastes great to a lot of people. You really should not have any fat in your post workout drink especially if you are on a weight loss program. Getting fat in your post workout shake is not a problem as long as you keep the fat content to a minimum. post workout drinks should be carbs and protein and try to keep fat well unde 5 grams if possible. None is better.

george foreman grill + chicken cutlets on sale is a great combo. Grilled veggies are nice on this grill also. clean it by leaving a wet dish rag in it immediately after unplugging the unit when done cooking. I have not been able to get red meat to come out as well my chicken.

boil some eggs every few days. very portable and convenient source of protein.

soy - I fear estrogen so I stay away. Nice source of protein but I stay away from it. This is my one bodybuilding superstition/fact I will never let go!

natural peanut butter is nice in moderation. nice in protein shakes. nuts work too.

This info is from countless pubmed searches I've done as also knowledge as a pesronal trainer (CSCS certified) before going premed.

sleep - very important regardless if you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle.

george foreman grill + chicken cutlets on sale is a great combo. Grilled veggies are nice on this grill also. clean it by leaving a wet dish rag in it immediately after unplugging the unit when done cooking. I have not been able to get red meat to come out as well my chicken.

:thumbup: This thread started out cute but took a strange turn.

What is a CSCS certification? Similar to ACSM?

Great avatar, chaeymaey.

I shan't be taking off my clothes in O.M.M. lab. Don't see why it would be a problem. :confused:

:thumbup: This thread started out cute but took a strange turn.

What is a CSCS certification? Similar to ACSM?

Great avatar, chaeymaey.

ACSM HFI and NSCA CSCS certs are professional certifications. They have more rigorous testing than other certifications and both require a bachelor's degree (ACSM will take Associates degrees also). CSCS is more for someone who wants to be a strength coach for a college or professional team or wants to write articles and have extra credibility. ACSM seems to have programs that attracts medical professionals. I've seen it discussed in the PM&R forum. I'm thinking about getting an ACSM cert and will attend the next annual meeting.