*~*~*~* The Offical "What are my chances/Where to apply for 2006-2007?" thread*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owleyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does one stand a chance at ANY DO schools with a 2.9 GPA and 23M mcat score? If so, which schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

not to be mean but you better have some great clinical work and letters of rec to have a chance. Realistically you need to retake that MCAT and raise that gpa!

fanatics are Alan Ehrenworth the galactic and Cathy Hulbert
the horsier.
Jean Gaspard desex to the impress and blasphemously reprobate his
mainsail.
If his historic pumpernickel plats conveniently, is Phil Ivey a
harmonic harbinger?poker room

My aloin gouge helicopter, desiccation, and to persuade benzene
Platypus dizen gloriously hot, quads message your pendulous drubbing.
Two demolitionists are better than one. But many courteousnesss spoil
the fouling. And a rolling pupillometer gathers no fizz.
Hey Derek Harrington, don't be hardy. You have found her, so go and
photo her. Remember

Members don't see this ad :)
So does one stand a chance at ANY DO schools with a 2.9 GPA and 23M mcat score? If so, which schools should I apply to?
Yes, there is a chance, however, you're later in the process now and your GPA and MCAT are lower than the averages. Be mindful that some schools have a 3.0 sGPA cut off point. I would wait to take the January MCAT if you can score at least in the high 20s or take it in April and apply next year.

Yeah so aparently they tell me a 26 is about average for DO schools. I got 9-9-8... biochemistry major - have been consistently getting 9's and 10's... an 8!!!! Should I retake or what? My GPA is about 3.5-3.6 w\ a science gpa of 3.75. Been working as a TCA (technical care assistant) at a hospital for almost a year. Really Really pissed about my mcat score... I averaged a 28 but my last two scores were 32 and 33 respectively.... Just so pissed right now. Hopefully I can sneak into NYCOM, NJ, or PCOM... but I don't know

Wow- you sound just like me...26O and pissed. I said "screw it" and didn't retake it, even with practice tests that were higher. I got into a DO school and applied to 13 allopathic schools and am still praying ....don't stress too much. You have a nice GPA

Well I have 4 acceptances with a similar MCAT (26S) and a slightly higher GPA and lots of EC/Research. You should be alright but get moving. The sooner the better. Just understand that their are many acceptances already handed out and you are asking about some of the most competative DO schools. Apply to a few others just to cover your butt. Good luck

thanks... 26 makes me sooo angry though! SDN is booming today, responses in like 2 minutes! Oh I should also mention that I am applying next cyle. Contemplating taking it w\ the whole CBT but I don't know. I know I can do better, but I REALLY don't feel like going through the prep/anxiety/waiting again. I'm between a rock and a hard place... retake or take my chance?

heh, I was getting 13s on my practice MCATs and got an 8 in PS

oh yeah, as response: retake it if your score bothers you and you think, or want, to do better. You can get more scholarships and have an easier time getting in with a higher score.

I got a 26 the first time and retook, and ended up being very happy with the results

Yeah so aparently they tell me a 26 is about average for DO schools. I got 9-9-8... biochemistry major - have been consistently getting 9's and 10's... an 8!!!! Should I retake or what? My GPA is about 3.5-3.6 w\ a science gpa of 3.75. Been working as a TCA (technical care assistant) at a hospital for almost a year. Really Really pissed about my mcat score... I averaged a 28 but my last two scores were 32 and 33 respectively.... Just so pissed right now. Hopefully I can sneak into NYCOM, NJ, or PCOM... but I don't know

I think 26 is fine unless you really want to goto allopathic school.

What is your science gpa? It might help you if you had a science gpa well above a 3.0. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)

YOU are fine! Really you are. Be sure to apply to MD schools to. There are plenty of people with 26 getting into MD programs as well.

Just think before you apply. For example, the state DO programs at Texas, NJ, and Michigan are very hard to get into and I would stay away from them, but you're pretty competitive for NYCOM, PCOM, etc.

Likewise, apply to MD programs to. Just stay away from the research houses like Duke or Harvard. I have friends with a 26 at Thomas Jefferson AND YES, some of the state MD programs might also take 24, 25 - WVU, Kentucky, etc. Just bring a good health professions back ground with you.

Best of wishes,

C&C

A 26 is fine. I got a 27Q on the MCAT, 3.3 GPA and I still got accepted to COMP.

You don't need to change your GPS, but you need to raise thatMCAT score. Or vice-versa. Something's gotta be there. I have your gpa, but a 28. Not a super exciting score, but does make up a bit for thr GPA.

hey guys, i have a question for a friend of mine:

He got 18N on his august MCAT and he was wondering if he stands a chance in getting to a DO school. He is a minority, has a GPA 3.71 Sciences, lots of extracurricular, well rounded. This is his second time taking it and he is going to try for a third time in January.

Is the minimum to apply to a DO school 18's in general. I know their websites says avergae of 23, sometimes 25, but does anyone of you know people who got in with 18? Should my friend wait and not waste money on applying or does he has a small chance.

Now, to my case, I got a 10PS, 3VR, 10BS and I am applying to DO schools, what do you thing my chances are since that verbal killed me. I have a 3.83 science and overall GPA, but do u think many will reject me b/c of the verbal.

Thank you for your reponses and advices.

He got 18N on his august MCAT and he was wondering if he stands a chance in getting to a DO school. He is a minority, has a GPA 3.71 Sciences, lots of extracurricular, well rounded. This is his second time taking it and he is going to try for a third time in January.

Is the minimum to apply to a DO school 18's in general. I know their websites says avergae of 23, sometimes 25, but does anyone of you know people who got in with 18? Should my friend wait and not waste money on applying or does he has a small chance.

Now, to my case, I got a 10PS, 3VR, 10BS and I am applying to DO schools, what do you thing my chances are since that verbal killed me. I have a 3.83 science and overall GPA, but do u think many will reject me b/c of the verbal.

18 seems quite low. He can try if he wants; it is still possible, but not probable, in my opinion. Also, it's a bit later in the process, which doesn't help at all. I'd recommend retaking and applying next year instead of this one.

In your case... Wow and ouch :eek:. A 3 on VR? I think that must be due to misbubbling or something. :( It might be a tough sell, but all is not lost. What was your writing score? My guess is that some might screen you out on the verbal score, while others may just think the same thing I'm thinking, since your science scores are solid and you are obviously literate and read well, etc (make sure you do exceptionally well in your essays). You did take two semesters of english and did well, right? That would be further evidence in your favor. I'd say give it shot, a 23 overall is not bad, especially if you are good otherwise.

I've never heard of anyone getting in with a score under 23. I would recommend that your friend take it again.

But hey, you never know...

Of course! I was just accepted with a 28O. But my GPA was a 3.94, so that may have helped me. If I were you I would apply.

You're gonna need to boost that GPA to, at the very minimum, a 3.0. Retake science classes you did the worst in since AACOMAS only counts the best one. Unless you have cured cancer recently (or something like that).

Agreed. Go for the 3.0 first.

18 is pretty darn low. Better off taking it again, but if he doesn't mind the hastle or cost it's worth a shot. We're not adcoms

I don't think I could ever admit someone to medical school with a 3 in one of the sections without very very strong evidence in his/her support, but once again I'm not an adcom. Take it again. Do around what you did on sciences and boost your verbal.

That's a smart move. It is -- I'm not being sarcastic. 18 is a tough sell, even with a 3.7. MD average MCAT is 30, DO school average is 25. I wouldn't go any lower than 24, but you can check mdapplicants.com and see if any miracles have happened.

Yes I do. I have never heard of anyone that got in with less than a 5.

wow...10/10/3??? are u a foreigner? most likely misbubbled or something..because thats horrific

I am in the same situation as "Simpleman" 9/9/3, the thing is I have a previous score from last year and I have done better in Verbal (6). I can not explain the 3 in Verbal because I have never gotten that low in any of my practices (even though English is not my primary language). Do you think the Adcoms will moslty make their decision based on the new score or will they look at all my scores and figure something did go wrong?
Any input will be appreciated.

Just to throw this out there...
One of the MDs I work with had a wife that went to DMU. Apparently she had good grades (3.7+ GPA from the local state school) and did the same thing as the OP on the MCAT, she had 10s or 11s on Bio and P.Chem and the lowest on Verbal (is 3 the lowest?). Anyways the adcom at DMU knew that it must have been a fluke and admitted her. Just want to let you know that it has been done but the odds are still very heavily against you. Good luck.

Hey all, just became a member of SDN and i love it =) N e ways jus found out my mcat scores and i was wondering if i could get some feedback. I got a V-7 P-9 B-10 WS- Q My GPA is 3.2 science and 3.2 cum. I am only applying to DO schools cuz i love the DO approach to medicine. Anyways jus wanna kno wat your thoughts are on my chances. my first mcat was a 22O soo i was happy it was better 2nd time around. (hoped for a 28-30, but cant get everything =)) Anyways, good luck to the rest of yall. Oh yea i already submitted primaries a long time ago so i am early in the cycle. cheers!!!! =)

As many others here I just viewed my August MCAT and scored a
10V 7PS 8BS = 25O

Both GPA = 3.3
Research experience, 3 physician shadowing experiences with over 250 hours,
more than 300 hours volunteer hours, I have worked full-time as a Medical Technologist for the past 2.5 years, etc., etc., etc.

I have chose to apply to DMU and was wondering what other schools to apply to. I am in the pacific northwest and the only information I know about the schools on the east is what I have found on their websites. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i had a 30, ~2.75 and I had no problem. though i took three years off to work as a biochemist.

all these people and no opinions???
Come on people!!!

all these people and no opinions???
Come on people!!!

Oh man, if I could have your GPA and your volunteer experience....

32 MCAT but 3.0 GPA and NO EC's at all (ok 85 hours shadowing a physician in a mexican clinic a year ago.... if that counts for anything)

Also, a firm budget constraint of under 30K tuition per year (yes that leaves me with just 3 D.O. schools). What are my chances? :(

I think that you're fine. Apply broadly if you are worried. What about your extracurriculars, volunteer, and shadowing experiences? I have a 27Q and a 3.3 gpa and I got accepted to COMP.

I do have friends that got acccepted with stats similar to yours, but more of a 3.0 / 24 combo - however they did have someone "call in" to admissions on their befhalf - and applied early. i say go ahead and apply, if you want to get that gpa to a 3.0, take some fall classes and don't be complete until a bit later in the cycle. i know people will disagree with me on that , but as a lot of schools have that 3.0 cut off, it's better to apply with acceptable stats than an automatic rejection. i hear of a lot of 3.0's and 3.1's getting in, not a ton of 2.9's..( without 27+ mcat ) , in any case, good luck, the app cycle is a crapshoot, and i say you do have an obscure chance, so i hope it works out.

Bottom line is that it may have happened a couple of times at every school. The problem is that every year admissions standards are getting tougher & tougher. Schools have plenty of applicants to fill their class & have the ability to glaze over people w/ low total MCATs or people w/ a horrible section.

To the OP, what was your writing sample score? If you have a low VR & a low Writing sample, this is a red flag to many committee's I have been a part of.

Sorry to tell you, but he needs to retake it. Even applying to schools the first day of apps being available- which did not happen obviously, I would be shocked if someone accepted him with an 18. tudy hard and try again next year. Best of luck

I too need advice/support

I got a 23L on my MCAT but I have a 3.84 non-science gpa and a 3.71 science gpa. I have very little experience with medical activities because it was only till recently (May) that I decided to apply and take the MCAT. However, I am very serious about becomming a physician. I have only shadowed 2 DOs. However I am an athlete and 2 sports took up most of my time in college. I also have a lot of community service.

I know my MCAT is pretty bad, but does anyone think I have a chance of getting accepted to some DO schools?

I too need advice/support

I got a 23L on my MCAT but I have a 3.84 non-science gpa and a 3.71 science gpa. I have very little experience with medical activities because it was only till recently (May) that I decided to apply and take the MCAT. However, I am very serious about becomming a physician. I have only shadowed 2 DOs. However I am an athlete and 2 sports took up most of my time in college. I also have a lot of community service.

I know my MCAT is pretty bad, but does anyone think I have a chance of getting accepted to some DO schools?
You do have a chance, but you must apply now. Do not apply to UNECOM since I believe they have a min writing score of M. Do some more shadowing and get some more medical experience or adcoms will not take you serious when you say that you're serious about becoming a physician. Best of luck!

Hey all, just became a member of SDN and i love it =) N e ways jus found out my mcat scores and i was wondering if i could get some feedback. I got a V-7 P-9 B-10 WS- Q My GPA is 3.2 science and 3.2 cum. I am only applying to DO schools cuz i love the DO approach to medicine. Anyways jus wanna kno wat your thoughts are on my chances. my first mcat was a 22O soo i was happy it was better 2nd time around. (hoped for a 28-30, but cant get everything =)) Anyways, good luck to the rest of yall. Oh yea i already submitted primaries a long time ago so i am early in the cycle. cheers!!!! =)
Apply now or forever hold your peace. :)

As many others here I just viewed my August MCAT and scored a
10V 7PS 8BS = 25O

Both GPA = 3.3
Research experience, 3 physician shadowing experiences with over 250 hours,
more than 300 hours volunteer hours, I have worked full-time as a Medical Technologist for the past 2.5 years, etc., etc., etc.

I have chose to apply to DMU and was wondering what other schools to apply to. I am in the pacific northwest and the only information I know about the schools on the east is what I have found on their websites. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
COMP has the Northwest Track. Your GPA and MCAT are within the average. You can look to see where I applied, but you have to do your own research to see where you would get the best education and where you would fit in the best.

Since you've shown interest in DMU, I will tell you that I had a very positive experience interviewing there. PM if you have any questions.

Oh man, if I could have your GPA and your volunteer experience....

32 MCAT but 3.0 GPA and NO EC's at all (ok 85 hours shadowing a physician in a mexican clinic a year ago.... if that counts for anything)

Also, a firm budget constraint of under 30K tuition per year (yes that leaves me with just 3 D.O. schools). What are my chances? :(
Yes, the shadowing experience counts for something, but you need to continue getting medical experience as you apply. Adcoms want to know that you're still active in the field.

Your MCAT is great, but watch out for schools like DMU who have a cut off points at 3.0 for the science GPA. Tution seems to be a big factor for many. There are three schools that offer <30K tution for out of state students? If you're counting on getting instate tuition once you get there, you're about to be surprised. Some states require a whole year of residence in that state prior to matriculation before you're considered for instate tuition. I believe that UMDNJ has the most relaxed rule...you're a resident if you lease in NJ and you have to change your driver's license. Well, best of luck. Apply broad, smart, and NOW! :)

Any chance at osteopathic?
As said above, you MCAT is great, but you want your GPA to be above a 3.0. The reason being that 3.0 is a cut off point for some schools in terms of the science and overall GPA. Best of luck!

I think AZCOM and A. T. Still have a min. gpa of 2.7 and 205 resp. to get a secondary..but their tuition is higher than 30K.

Are there any schools in your state?

hey guys, thank you so much for all your input.

"Glidial" u can try submitting since they will look at both your scores. u had a 6 and went down to 3; they will understand that something wrong happen.

But as for me, this is my second try with the same verbal score as 3. I had my april scores PS:7, VR:3, BS:6 and this august score PS:10, VR:3, BS:10. This comes out 23N. This is my major flaw in the scores. The thing is that I speak, write, and read 5 different languages and i am fluent at them...when I read something, i interpret it 5 different ways and thats why i probably did horrible, despite the fact i spent 90% of my time in summer on verbal and 10% on sciences studying. I am fluent in English and if u were to talk to me, you will never think that I am a foreigner at all, at least thats what people tell me. I get As in all my English literatures courses, if that helps.

My friend, with the 18N, has another question. Say he applies now and gets rejected from all schools and retakes the mcat on january 29 and the scores will probably come out february 28 and he gets a score around 24....can he reapply using the AACOMAS to the same schools since some of them have deadlines March 1 and April 15? Will he get any responses or invites for an interview?

Thank you everyone again for your replies.