The Official 01/27/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Friday, January 27, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 8 a.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
.Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys I need some advice.This is my first time taking the MCAT and i ended up getting a 27.Im my practice exams I was averaging a 6 on verbal and ended up getting a 6 on the real thing.I was averaging 10's on physical section and ended up getting an 8.I dont know if I should retake because Im not sure if my score can go up by that much and im scared my verbal will go down.What do you recommend?

You should probably retake because of the verbal score. The 27 would be fine for DO schools and maybe the odd MD here and there if the rest your application was stellar, but with a 6 you'll be screened out of MD schools and maybe most DO schools too. If the rest of your app is awesome then go for it, but it may be safer to try to raise that 6 up to at least a 7. I know it sucks not getting what you hoped for :(

I did absolutely terrible in the sciences and decent on verbal. Anyone have advice on picking up my science scores in 2 months?

AAMC CBT AVG: 27 (This was over all months of studying)
LAST MCAT 2007: 21M (and a total destruction of self motivation)
1/27/2012: 31M (and I had to drive from New Orleans to Tyler, TX - WORTH IT!!!)

DIST VR/PS/BS 08/12/11

I keep refreshing to make sure my score doesn't change!

Congratz!!! I have similar distribution

AAMC AVG: 28
1/27/2012: 8VR 11PS 11BS 30M.
So glad it's over.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably retake because of the verbal score. The 27 would be fine for DO schools and maybe the odd MD here and there if the rest your application was stellar, but with a 6 you'll be screened out of MD schools and maybe most DO schools too. If the rest of your app is awesome then go for it, but it may be safer to try to raise that 6 up to at least a 7. I know it sucks not getting what you hoped for :(

I got a 8PS,9VR,10BS on the real thing.But I was averaging a 6 on all my verbal.I just believe it is going to be kind of tough to really go up more tahn 2 points on my overall score

I got a 8PS,9VR,10BS on the real thing.But I was averaging a 6 on all my verbal.I just believe it is going to be kind of tough to really go up more tahn 2 points on my overall score

Oh, I must have misunderstood, my bad. If you don't think you will go up much more, I would keep it because you risk doing worse. I'm in the same boat, I got a 9PS, 9VR, 10BS and though my AAMC average was a 30, I'm not chancing it and taking it again, its just not worth it.

I guess it depends on the rest of your application like GPA and ECs. You should be set for DO schools as long as your GPA is decent and you've done volunteering, shadowing, etc. MD may be hard for us, but again if you have strong GPA and such then we might just have a chance. There's a thread about MD acceptances with below 30 that may give you hope like it has given me. Good luck during the application cycle, hopefully it's good to us below 30ers!

Oh, I must have misunderstood, my bad. If you don't think you will go up much more, I would keep it because you risk doing worse. I'm in the same boat, I got a 9PS, 9VR, 10BS and though my AAMC average was a 30, I'm not chancing it and taking it again, its just not worth it.

I guess it depends on the rest of your application like GPA and ECs. You should be set for DO schools as long as your GPA is decent and you've done volunteering, shadowing, etc. MD may be hard for us, but again if you have strong GPA and such then we might just have a chance. There's a thread about MD acceptances with below 30 that may give you hope like it has given me. Good luck during the application cycle, hopefully it's good to us below 30ers!

Yea that's what worries me.i believe I can do better on the physical section but I jumped 3 points on the verbal section because I felt the passages were really suited to my interest.i don't want to risk it because I don't think I can pull another 9 in verbal.im going to apply and see which school acceptse.hopefully one will give me a shot

lol this was one of the only people that posted a month ago about his test "test didn't seem too bad" everyone else was like...OMG I FAILED NOOo. A guess a 41 isnt too bad ;p

Lol, I was just being honest. I agree that the style was a little different from what I was expecting, but the content was the same.

14PS, 8VR, 13BS, W: S

Summary:
I can't read, but I can write.
Hah. I guess I can do neither
Almost in the same boat as u.
14 PS, 9 VR, 15 BS, w: O
Actual mcat: 38 O!! :D
Avg aamc 34.5 (high 37, low 32)

I was considering a retake cuz of the vr... but I don't think I'll get a 38 again
Anyway Congrats to everyone for finally finishing and hopefully doing good.

how many hours did you guys spend a day/what materials did you use? congrats to everyone whose done :)

i'm one of those guys who never had the talent to get by. i can only attribute my 35S to the fact that i spent 8 months preparing for this test. i couldn't afford a course, so I just bought the examkrackers book set and worked on those. i started studying May 2011 and took the test in Jan 2012 (obvious from this thread). During the summer i probably worked on it for 2 hrs a day. During the school year maybe 1 hr every 2 or 3 days. During winter break it was 3 hrs/day. i also borrowed a friend's copy of 101 verbal passages by examkrackers but that was useless. there's no amount of studying (imo) that can help improve your verbal score--you basically have to a) be good at it innately or b) have 2 X-chromosomes in every one of your cells.

Realized I posted in January 28th thread by accident. Oops. Don't do much posting but I liked using SDN as a resource for the mcat so I felt like its necessary to post how I did.

First time: 28R (8PS 9VR 11BS)
Predicted: 29
AAMC avg: 31
1/27 MCAT: 35S (13PS 8VR 14BS)

Looks like a similar situation to the other two, I cn write but cannot read. Oh well I'm done tking the mcat do that's all that matters. Goodluck to everyone!

how many hours did you guys spend a day/what materials did you use? congrats to everyone whose done :)

I started studying about 3 months in advance, like the sn2ed schedule, but I changed the schedule to fit my classes. I probably averaged 3.5 hrs a day (I studied during winter break), but I spent about 1 month reviewing content, and the rest was practice exams and tests.
I used ek 101 vr and tbr for practice, tbr for physics (worked great for me), Kaplan for bio and ochem and I did all the ek 1001. I felt the ek 1001s weren't too useful (except the bio, which was great).
I didn't take any course... I didn't think I would need it. Btw I got a 24 on the Kaplan diagnostic without studying so their goal is to make money.
Anybody know if we have to explain mcat score being low in one section in the application or during the interview?

I started studying about 3 months in advance, like the sn2ed schedule, but I changed the schedule to fit my classes. I probably averaged 3.5 hrs a day (I studied during winter break), but I spent about 1 month reviewing content, and the rest was practice exams and tests.
I used ek 101 vr and tbr for practice, tbr for physics (worked great for me), Kaplan for bio and ochem and I did all the ek 1001. I felt the ek 1001s weren't too useful (except the bio, which was great).
I didn't take any course... I didn't think I would need it. Btw I got a 24 on the Kaplan diagnostic without studying so their goal is to make money.
Anybody know if we have to explain mcat score being low in one section in the application or during the interview?

They may ask you about it during the interview - I don't think you would discuss it in the PS or application

They may ask you about it during the interview - I don't think you would discuss it in the PS or application

Okay. Hopefully they'll see my other scores and know that I'm okay at reading :D. Love all the ppl who did better than their practice aamc's. Awesomeness.
And for those that did worse, practice makes perfect.

~2 to 4 hours a day for 5 months. Sometimes closer to an hour, but never more than three or four. Followed SN2ed's 4 month schedule with TBR/EK, and supplemented with WikiPremed videos for physics.

I am still not over how I got an 8 in PS. (12 VR, 12 BS) I asked my advisor and a bunch of guys in the 2017 class thread and they all said not to retake. Still, that 8 will stick out like a sore thumb. Sigh. Oh well

Don't retake just apply early and broadly. A 32 with anything over an 8 is a wonderful score! congrats!

First MCAT : 27Q: 9PS 8VR 10BS
Kaplan Practice Average: 34.5
Last AAMC: 35
Jan 27: 35Q 12PS 11VR 12BS

Congrats to everyone! If you struggled this time around, don't worry about it, dust yourself off and get back on the horse. I did poorly the first time, took Kaplan (and took it seriously) and got the results I desired. If you put in the work you will be rewarded! And remember to put it all in perspective, the MCAT is a test, it is not your life!

First MCAT : 27Q: 9PS 8VR 10BS
Kaplan Practice Average: 34.5
Last AAMC: 35
Jan 27: 35Q 12PS 11VR 12BS

Congrats to everyone! If you struggled this time around, don't worry about it, dust yourself off and get back on the horse. I did poorly the first time, took Kaplan (and took it seriously) and got the results I desired. If you put in the work you will be rewarded! And remember to put it all in perspective, the MCAT is a test, it is not your life!

120% agree what sprky09 said DO YOUR BEST & Believe in yourself :thumbup::thumbup:

It is just a test :sleep: