The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I finally checked my score, 25Q. I guess I should be counting my blessings as I guessed most of PS since I couldn't think. It's heartbreaking really, given that I was scoring 30+ on my AAMCs and I studied all fall. I skipped out on so much just to study. All of that time wasted. I never got below a 10 for VR, and I got an 8 on the real thing. Even in BS, I always scored 10+, yet now I got a 9. I don't think I've ever been so discouraged or felt like a failure as much as I do now. If I didn't have to get up for work, I'd just stay in my room and cry all day.

Any tips on how not to be majorly depressed? My next one is April 13th, but I can't fathom how I'm going to muster up the motivation or strength to try again. All I can think of when I open up anything MCAT related is how much I messed up and what a total screw up I am. :(

I never scored below an 11 on VR, averaging 12 and 13 on my AAMC's. Got a 6 on 1/28 test. Think about that to make you feel better... :D ... :shifty:

I finally checked my score, 25Q. I guess I should be counting my blessings as I guessed most of PS since I couldn't think. It's heartbreaking really, given that I was scoring 30+ on my AAMCs and I studied all fall. I skipped out on so much just to study. All of that time wasted. I never got below a 10 for VR, and I got an 8 on the real thing. Even in BS, I always scored 10+, yet now I got a 9. I don't think I've ever been so discouraged or felt like a failure as much as I do now. If I didn't have to get up for work, I'd just stay in my room and cry all day.

Any tips on how not to be majorly depressed? My next one is April 13th, but I can't fathom how I'm going to muster up the motivation or strength to try again. All I can think of when I open up anything MCAT related is how much I messed up and what a total screw up I am. :(

How did you take your AAMCs? Did you follow strict timing?

If your average AAMC score was over 30 and your actual score came out significantly below that, one must consider WHY such a dramatic decrease in score occurred. I know much has been said regarding the predicting power of the AAMCs, but, from my own MCAT experience, they truly are the most direct means of measuring your level of preparation.

You say that you guessed on most of the PS section because you "couldn't think."

This tells me that you aren't comfortable enough with the format of the test, the timing, how to approach passages, how to eliminate wrong answers as well as locate the correct ones. These skills are honed by many, many timed practice passages. Read up on SN2ed's methodology (I can honestly say that my success on my Jan. MCAT is largely due to the philosophy behind his schedule).

Focus less on your disappointment and more on how you can become better prepared. All it takes is a brief survey of this forum to realize that all sorts of things are possible, fabulous score increases on the MCAT included. Most of these, however, are not miracles but the consequence of honest introspection and continued effort in the face of failure.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very perplexing passages made even more infuriating by equally long and convoluted passage question stems. Seriously, some question stems were literally paragraph long (3-5 sentences)...so prospective test-takers beware: Even consistently scoring high on AAMC FL's verbal is no guarantee for similar score on real test. It's the verbal beast! Oh BTW, some of the answer choices leave you feeling: Where in the F*** world did they come up with this? Examkrackers do prepare you for the AAMC practice tests, but fall short of resembling the dry byzantine passages on the real deal. Yes, we can comprehend and reason, and I believe that's sufficient for entry-level medical students, but is the ability to think in the nuanced manner that MCAT test writers expect us to necessary?

Very perplexing passages made even more infuriating by equally long and convoluted passage question stems. Seriously, some question stems were literally paragraph long (3-5 sentences)...so prospective test-takers beware: Even consistently scoring high on AAMC FL's verbal is no guarantee for similar score on real test. It's the verbal beast! Oh BTW, some of the answer choices leave you feeling: Where in the F*** world did they come up with this? Examkrackers do prepare you for the AAMC practice tests, but fall short of resembling the dry byzantine passages on the real deal. Yes, we can comprehend and reason, and I believe that's sufficient for entry-level medical students, but is the ability to think in the nuanced manner that MCAT test writers expect us to necessary?

Keep in mind that we did seem to get particularly dry passages in VR (maybe moreso than typical), which probably made up for the *relatively* easy BS and PS sections we had.