The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure how exactly to feel about this test.

PS - I felt like this was easier than most of the later AAMCs. There were 1 or 2 questions that I had to take educated guesses on but I felt pretty good about everything else. Had some calculations but not as heavy as AAMC 11 imo. A lot more straight-forward questions than I was expecting...it's like they took a lot of the concepts you have to know and condensed them each into individual, straight-forward questions.

VR - Wow. This sucked. For one, I wish you were able to zoom out because the font was a lot larger than I was used to. But anyway, all these passages were dry and the questions sucked. I averaged around an 11 on AAMCs for VR but I'd be thrilled with a 10 on this section. On the plus side, I did finish every passage but who knows how the questions went...

BS - Felt a lot like AAMC 11. A couple difficult questions that were random facts but most answers were in the passages. There was one question that completely came out of left field that I remember in particular...luckily I remembered something from my microbio course and was able to apply it.

I kind of wish the sciences were a little harder because the curve won't be very generous. And I feel like we might get screwed on VR. We'll see in a month, I suppose.

My AAMC range was 34-39, for what it's worth.

Are you from the south? (This is where I am from)

It's the ridiculous notion of pre-destination/ Faith without works. It's absolutely ludicrous Calvinist nonsense which can only be discussed philosophically. It does not translate well to the lay person.

It doesn't mean you don't do the damn work. God isn't going to reward your laziness.

Haha, no, not from the south. Laziness is universal, sadly.

It made me feel better that I was at least going to do better than one person in the room, though. Also, the girl next to me had The Most Skeptical Look in Skepticalville, which was hysterical and made it really hard not to laugh.

dang you guys thought ochem passage was easy? for some reason it really threw me off. there was only 4 questions on that passage i hope i did okay on that

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! 1PMer here.

PS - Pretty straightforward with the exception of the later passages..I felt like one of them may have been experimental, but I did what I could. Not too bad.

VR - First two passages were like, what the heck? But I timed myself and got out of those not having lost any time and was luck would have it, the rest were not that terrible!

Writing - Bullcrap essay is bullcrap. :)

BS - I'm kind of leery of this..it may have been one of the easier BS sections I have ever taken. Granted, when I started off, I was reading a passage about stuff I am currently taking a class on. But, in the end, I really saw my upper-level science courses and research kicking in - a lot of it was very intuitive and came to me naturally. I basically finished on my first go with 40 minutes left and triple/quadruple checked and agonized over 3 or 4 questions until time was up. Thankfully the Orgo passage initially looked horrible, but the questions were pretty simple!

Hope everyone else is doing well tonight, get some rest and relax for a bit! Unless you're like me and have 2 midterms and a paper due this week..:luck:

What were you getting on the AAMCs

This was actually my second time retaking it. My AAMCs ranged from 32 to 38, and I actually got a 30 the first time, owing to a 7 in Verbal. If not for that, I would have been perfectly in range with a 33 or 34.

The second time around I had to use TBR practice tests (which are DEFINITELY HARDER!), and on those I averaged 31-33.

Granted, I feel the BS seemed very simple and easy to me as I am a Molecular Genetics major, and much of the content there fell exactly in line with stuff I learn and constantly reinforce in my core classes.

Bauman, you said it well. The PS seemed so easy at times I'm just hoping I didn't make many careless errors with unit conversions, etc.

Couldn't agree more with you on the font. At "normal" font (say 12) the verbal passages would have seemed longer than I prefer anyway. The enlarged font definately accentuated this which in the long run didn't help the concentration & nerve factors.

Bio should have been easy, but I got bogged down early and fought the clock the rest of the way. The result was more guesses than I would have liked. Seemed like less than usual ochem, too.

Worst of all, my prep didn't give the writing sample the justice it deserves and I know it will show:(

In the end, who knows. On some of my practice tests the outcome matched with how I thought I did; others it didn't.

What kind of specific scaling do you guys suspect for this test for 10's?

My bad. I didn't read your're second sentence, iceman. What makes it impractical? I can make an educated guess based on my impression of the overall difficulty from each section relative to the aamc practice tests, but that's just one impression. For example, some tests 38 correct on the sciences was a 10, some it wasn't, etc. Just curious other's guesses. If there aren't any, so be it.

Alright *Shrugs* I guess if you took 20 practice test and analyzed them with a fine toothed comb.... .

Members don't see this ad :)
Alrite guys here goes

My AAMC range was 32-36, average of 34.2

This is my second time retaking after scoring a 30: 10/10/10 my first time.

PS- Easier than my first time. I always scored a 12 on every single AAMC practice test so hopefully I end up with at least an 11.

Verbal- WTF? Passages were long and boring, the questions were so ambigious. I didn't have to guess randomly like some people on this forum, but I did have to make a lot of "educated" guess due to timing. Hoping for an 8.

SAT Verbal - 770
AAMC average on verbal -11
First MCAT verbal-10

WTF?

BS- Not too bad, figured out most of the passages Probably made an 11.

I took AAMC 11 on Thursday (2 days before the real thing) and made a 34 (12/11/11) (PS/V/BS).

The real thing's verbal was just brutal, it was brutal compared to my first test's verbal. Go screw yourself MCAT verbal. :) I would go ape**** if I made a 9 on this MCAT verbal.

In a way its comforting to know that other people on this thread thought today's verbal was hard and nothing like any of the practice tests, but that could mean that we all are screwed on it.......

Alrite guys here goes

My AAMC range was 32-36, average of 34.2

This is my second time retaking after scoring a 30: 10/10/10 my first time.

PS- Easier than my first time. I always scored a 12 on every single AAMC practice test so hopefully I end up with at least an 11.

Verbal- WTF? Passages were long and boring, the questions were so ambigious. I didn't have to guess randomly like some people on this forum, but I did have to make a lot of "educated" guess due to timing. Hoping for an 8.

SAT Verbal - 770
AAMC average on verbal -11
First MCAT verbal-10

WTF?

BS- Not too bad, figured out most of the passages Probably made an 11.

I took AAMC 11 on Thursday (2 days before the real thing) and made a 34 (12/11/11) (PS/V/BS).

The real thing's verbal was just brutal, it was brutal compared to my first test's verbal. Go screw yourself MCAT verbal. :) I would go ape**** if I made a 9 on this MCAT verbal.

In a way its comforting to know that other people on this thread thought today's verbal was hard and nothing like any of the practice tests, but that could mean that we all are screwed on it.......

For verbal, I have to agree with others when they say that the first two passages were brutal which forced me to rush on the last two passages. As I was skimming the final passages, they were a much easier read from what I could quickly ascertain. I wish I had the ability to guess and move on, instead I get stuck and harp on the same question for extended periods of time. Hoping for a big curve on verbal, AAMC average was an 11.

AAMC Average: 34 (Range from 30-38, no consistency)

Last edited:
i'm sooooooooooo effin nervous noww, and reading ppl's responses here is not helping either!

I also thought PS would be on more hard core topics, and it wasn't really.... don't get me wrong, many twisted and weird questions... but still this was a bit unexpected!

ave 35 also... now I wonder what I got... well I already know 2 EAAASSY questions that I got wrong cuz I was rushing through the test! :mad:+pissed+:bang::beat::scared::(:barf::annoyed::smack:

It's goin to be a long 29 days till we get the scores!

PS: The whale question is really bothering me. I must not be getting something. The physics hit my weak points. I've taken the MCAT before and it's always harder than the practice tests. Calculations were easy, it's the theory questions that are tricky. 11-12 maybe.

Verbal: Not too bad, honestly. The topics were quite easy to understand. 11-12?

BS: This section always throws me, probably because I have a weak understanding of molecular bio. It definitely emphasized reading the passage, extrapolating data, etc. Organic passages were easy. Forgot to memorize reaction types. Big mistake. Had very little genetics or physiology. I have no idea how I did on this section. Some discretes I really had no idea how to answer. Probably a 10.

averaged low 30s in my practice exams, 35 on the last two I did.

This exam was very challenging.

I destroyed the writing section :rolleyes: the ideas and perfect words just flowed.

Funny, I though Physics was awful and everything else generally pretty good. I felt like everything that I studied for in terms of physics was not on there and everything I didn't did. I guess just hope for the best at this point.

EEK!

Exactly my take on the exam, PS hit my major weak spots. Everything else went smoothly. I do feel like the first BS passage was a huge trick question though.

PS: The whale question is really bothering me. I must not be getting something. The physics hit my weak points. I've taken the MCAT before and it's always harder than the practice tests. Calculations were easy, it's the theory questions that are tricky. 11-12 maybe.

Verbal: Not too bad, honestly. The topics were quite easy to understand. 11-12?

BS: This section always throws me, probably because I have a weak understanding of molecular bio. It definitely emphasized reading the passage, extrapolating data, etc. Organic passages were easy. Forgot to memorize reaction types. Big mistake. Had very little genetics or physiology. I have no idea how I did on this section. Some discretes I really had no idea how to answer. Probably a 10.

Overall, I'm not sure what to make of today's MCAT. I definitely feel a lot better than I did the first time I took it. I took the MCAT a few years ago in 2008 and didn't really study well - just took the TPR diagnostic and a half hearted practice test, did most of the TPR HW, and mostly learned for memorization. At the time I had decided that I was jumping on the med school train too readily (easy to do studying MCB at Berkeley) and got excited about getting into management consulting. So I finished TPR and took the test just because I paid for it already. Anyways, I took the test, felt like I totally bombed PS (had to guess on like 2 passages), didn't get to all the VR passages, and was short on time on the BS section.

I ended up getting 30R (PS9, VR9, BS12) - not the best, but certainly shocking to me considering how I studied and how the test went. So from my experience so far, the MCAT can be incredibly unpredictable!

This round:

Studied well, really grounding myself in the underlying concepts, took tons of practice exams. AAMC practice tests were in the 34-38 range, TPR pretty steady at 34-36. I don't know if any of you have experienced this too, but sometimes I would feel really horrible about a section, mostly due to timing or having to guess on entire passages, but I would somehow still end up with an 11 or 12.

What I'm now just really realizing is that my biggest issue when it comes to the MCAT is that I get obsessive over little details, or if I don't really fully understand a question. I end up spending way too much on these relatively few questions, and end up having to rush on questions I could easily get, but may make mistakes on because of time/guessing. You'll probably hate me for saying this, but what annoys me the most is that I probably have the content knowledge/problem solving skills to score a 40, but my damn obsessiveness/test taking strategies gets in the way.

Actual MCAT:

Ugh. I never thought this would happen to me, but I ended catching a cold yesterday, and woke up on MCAT day feeling like crap. Hydrated like mad, ate well, and popped some NSAIDs to manage symptoms, but they didn't really kick in until VR.

PS: Pretty frazzled, wasn't on top of my pacing, and wasn't in the right state of mind to be dealing with computations. I ended up getting caught up in the numbers for conceptually simple questions rather than moving on, or could have just used logic (BTW, most questions can be answered this way - just didn't follow my own advice). The gas/stoichiometry passage leeched my time, and I was rushed on the last EM passage. On the bright side, there were quite a few questions that had really quick shortcuts (or time traps if you didn't realize it) if you saw the underlying math relationships or units.

VS: I was surprised so many people found verbal to be so killer. A few weeks before the MCAT I was freaking out about verbal because I hadn't been keeping up with the TPR HW, but I took a practice test and ended up doing quite well. After college I started getting into the habit of reading a lot of periodicals/books on a lot of different topics I found interesting, and I guess this ended up really paying off. I was a little rushed at the end, but didn't have to skip/guess blindly - just had to stop reading question stems and skim faster.

WS: Meh. If you're a decent writer and can BS, you probably did fine. I'm really detail oriented when it comes to writing, and am the type of person who makes sure useless emails are well composed, so this got in the way. I was too focused on developing bulletproof arguments vs. just word vomiting a well written plausible essay, so was down to the second.

BS: This is usually my best section and I found it very straightforward, and perhaps too straightforward. It made me regret spending all of those hours studying bio, and especially ochem, when most of the answers could be found in the passage. Having taken lots of advanced bio courses did help though since you get used to interpreting experimental design and the thought process. I'm weak in ochem, so I was really, really, really grateful it ended up being really light.

Anyways, overall pretty neutral, but the PS section has me a bit worried, especially since many found it so easy. I'd feel better if I knew I was able to perform at my peak, but the fact that I caught a cold the day before just blows. Estimating around a 34R.

Have faith everyone!!!! You can feel like you got a 5, but end up with a 12!

PS: The stupid shamu question annoyed the hell out of me too.

Last edited:
took the test yesterday. First MCAT. TALK ABOUT NO SPACES!!!! There were plenty of spots untaken. Logistics FAIL.

PS- a lot trickier than i expected. lots and lots of calculations, and it seemed everything needed a formula. I'm not a formula person, and i rely on concept, so I think I was kinda screwed. Also, lots of answer choices 10^-3 times different from each other. it was silly. couldn't keep track of all the kilos and millis and whatever. (nearly did not finish seriously rushed the ending)

VR- seemed easier than the AAMC practice ones... These seemed more interesting to me somehow. I liked the last essay the most. That was a fun one. Ain't nothin but a G thang babyyy.

Writing- Eh whatever. I didnt study that until 2 days before the exam. my fault for underestimating it.

BS- I HATE HOW THERE WAS NO OCHEM!!!!!! Ochem is my bread and butter. I'm so nerdy I get excited when I see those chemicals. I typically get 90% or more of the ochem stuff right, so I was pretty pissed there was only 1 ochem section. I was aiming for 4 of them. I felt like BS had some abstract parts to it, and I think the last question was wrong... but maybe I just didn't read it carefully because I only had a minute left.

Hope that helps or does not help somebody here!

i am getting a little worried about the possibility of getting a VERY strict curve especially since friday's exam was harder, so they might give us a harsher curve to compensate for the relative ease of our exam ( even though i didn't think it was as easy as many on here are saying)...anyone feeling the same way??....yikes!

I feel generally the same as most of you. PS, the calculations really bogged you down so most of the time I would get it down to 2 make an educated guess and move so I wouldent start lagging so far behind. Finished with 7 minutes to go, and got to check over 2 calculations I had marked.

VR, personally I felt that if you made it past the first 2 passages I think they took me 15 minutes combined then the rest was really downhill from there. Hopefully turned out fine

BS, Played to my strengths and was passage heavy which I prefer, so hopefully it worked out well.

I hope for a nice PS curve, because im kind of dissapointed with all the number crunching which was required.

To anyone reading this I would suggest you remember and absorb every fact from the Berkeley Review books in the PS section. It really came in handy.

For BS, I did pretty weak. Would you guys feel that doing TBR for bio passages be good? to developing the thinking that is needed?

Are you from the south? (This is where I am from)

It's the ridiculous notion of pre-destination/ Faith without works. It's absolutely ludicrous Calvinist nonsense which can only be discussed philosophically. It does not translate well to the lay person.

It doesn't mean you don't do the damn work. God isn't going to reward your laziness.
Lol... yeah. I'm from the South but from the state that does not usually get included (I'm sure you can figure that one out). Regardless, I had to take the MCAT in another state since there wasn't any spots left and literally two people were having this conversation in the center's waiting room. There was also a guy who stated that since he did not know what he was going to do after graduation, he just decided to take the MCAT. Really?

Lol... yeah. I'm from the South but from the state that does not usually get included (I'm sure you can figure that one out). Regardless, I had to take the MCAT in another state since there wasn't any spots left and literally two people were having this conversation in the center's waiting room. There was also a guy who stated that since he did not know what he was going to do after graduation, he just decided to take the MCAT. Really?

I think
south.gif

Are you from Florida? That's usually the only one I don't associate with the "southern" stereotype.

Hi All,
My experience with the test on 1/28 was above average I think.

PS: Went well material wise and only had to guess on a few at the end. Had some tricky math questions on there.

VR: Very dry, boring passages. Had to guess on one 6 question passage.

WS: Neither prompt was political which was great! Got both in on time / complete with short conclusion paragraphs.

BS: Biology was way less heavy on orgo than I expected. Although the section was easier than most overall, I still had trouble finishing because of the heavy passage length. Definitely had to guess on about 8 questions because I ran out of time. But I did well on the ones I had time to answer.

----

Did anyone else have a similar experience? I'm worried that even though I felt confident on VR and BS, my score might stink because I had to guess a bunch of times. Any thoughts?

I was consistently getting 30-34s on my AAMC practice tests, but when it came to exam on Saturday, I had such bad anxiety attacks that I messed everything up. I guessed, I didn't read thoroughly, the passages seemed like gibberish. I'll probably be lucky if a get a 10. I've never been so depressed in my entire life :(

Took on Saturday as well. Aside from a couple dumb mistakes, breezed through the PS....until I got to that seventh passage! What was that?!

VR-Long, but all of the passages were easy reads and aside from five super ambiguous questions, very fair.

BS-Loved it. I have noooo anatomy/physiology background so the fact that there was virtually none and it was heavily passage based was great. A few questions that seemed like 2 answers had equal chance of being what they were looking for but oh well. For those taking in the future don't change your answers. I had too much time to go relook over my answers and ended up convincing myself Iodide was massssssssive lol

Overall, complete crapshoot of how score turns out

advice to future test takers, check to see if you can scroll HORIZONTALLY. Most people who took the exam know what I am talking about. One passage had a chart and although I did this passage last, I spent so long trying to figure out the answer and just guessed and tried to make an educated guess. Turns out the most important columns of the chart were not visible on the screen and you had to scroll laterally, which may seem trivial to some but in the heat of the battle when your pressed for time and/thinking of the answers/thinking that possibly you missed. or overlooked key info, its easy to forget to scroll sideways....(BECAUSE HOW MANY OF THE PRACTICE FL REQUIRED YOU TO DO THAT!!):mad:

Last edited:
^ I noticed that, but it pissed me off. It made it pretty hard to read that chart, a lot harder than it should have been at least. I rated the presentation of graphics pretty low because of that one and few others that were unnecessarily confusing.

I thought the exam was pretty fair.

PS felt like a breeze, I used Berkeley Review's prep books and they were super helpful, they probably had me over-prepared for Physics which was a good thing. I'm sure I got at least a couple of those calculations wrong but I at least felt like I was heading in the right direction on most of them (thanks to TBR).

VR, I struggled on this section. As others pointed out there were a few hard passages, and I wasted valuable time on them. But it's MCAT and you just never know how it will be graded. I definitely felt like it could have gone okay, I guess I'll find out at the end of February.

I felt strong about BS too. I didn't use TBR Biology, I used TPR instead because I already had it and I figured biology is more fact-based problems and reasoning than reactions and calculations. It definitely helped me out a lot but I benefited the most from courses I had taken in undergrad. The Organic Chemistry passage could probably have been done with little knowledge of O chem it was mostly a reasoning passage. I used TBR for O Chem but all my studying was kind of waste as there just wasn't much O Chem on this MCAT.

Last edited:
advice to future test takers, check to see if you can scroll HORIZONTALLY. Most people who took the exam know what I am talking about. One passage had a chart and although I did this passage last, I spent so long trying to figure out the answer and just guessed and tried to make an educated guess. Turns out the most important columns of the chart were not visible on the screen and you had to scroll laterally, which may seem trivial to some but in the heat of the battle when your pressed for time and/thinking of the answers/thinking that possibly you missed. or overlooked key info, its easy to forget to scroll sideways....(BECAUSE HOW MANY OF THE PRACTICE FL REQUIRED YOU TO DO THAT!!):mad:

Could you ctrl + - on the test? Sometimes I do that in the practice tests and it had helped...

I was consistently getting 30-34s on my AAMC practice tests, but when it came to exam on Saturday, I had such bad anxiety attacks that I messed everything up. I guessed, I didn't read thoroughly, the passages seemed like gibberish. I'll probably be lucky if a get a 10. I've never been so depressed in my entire life :(

Hey don't worry too much. You probably did fine and if you did have a freak out on the exam, then your worst case scenario is you retake it. My first time I took the MCAT I completely wigged out on the verbal section. On my practice tests I never scored below a 10 (usually I got an 11 or 12 on verbal). On the actual MCAT the passages seemed like they were in a different language and my score looked like I was ESL (which I'm not...). That being said, I scored high on the BS which I didn't really predict, so you can never really tell what your score is going to be anyway.

This time around my anxiety was a ton better (I don't know for sure yet if I performed better than my first time, but I hope/ think I did... :xf:). I was actually human before and during the exam whereas my first time I felt more stressed than I've felt probably in my entire life. Retaking it might seem like a terrifying/ horrible idea now, but if you need to, you can suck it up, study some more, and you're going to be way less stressed taking it the second time around. So either you did fine or you'll retake it and do fine. Either way you're going to be fine. :)

^ I noticed that, but it pissed me off. It made it pretty hard to read that chart, a lot harder than it should have been at least. I rated the presentation of graphics pretty low because of that one and few others that were unnecessarily confusing.

Agreed. However, I was rather cautious anyways and ended up highlighting horizontally in order to make sure all my thoughts were on the same line. Given that Windows only lets you highlight from the one line (otherwise it starts from the beginning, etc.), it's a fairly foolproof way of making sure you don't get too mixed up.

Agreed. However, I was rather cautious anyways and ended up highlighting horizontally in order to make sure all my thoughts were on the same line. Given that Windows only lets you highlight from the one line (otherwise it starts from the beginning, etc.), it's a fairly foolproof way of making sure you don't get too mixed up.

That's exactly what I did as well... So I didn't think it was that bad, took me couple of sec to get oriented with the format, but easy to manipulate.

They try to overwhelm you with it but in reality you only use a fraction of the info.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I did as well... So I didn't think it was that bad, took me couple of sec to get oriented with the format, but easy to manipulate.

They try to overwhelm you with it but in reality you only use a fraction of the info.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

True story. Anytime they throw a ton of data or complex diagrams at you the passage is always easy, they just do it for intimidation factor.

you r spot o... i was doing so gud in practice tests but wen it came to real thing i was just sitting thinkin why they made these passages so long... it sucks when u study so hard n then do bad on test day...