The Official 01/30/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since January is nearby, I decided to refine the January MCAT club to it's two dates. For those of you who are taking it on Friday, January 30th, here is the place where you can vent, discuss, and support each other for this upcoming test. Best of luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
7-ps 6-vr 10-bs 23K

don't know what happened, being i was getting 30s on practices. Now, I'm screwed!

vs 10 ps 12 bs 11 W O , 33O. Vs is okay. Ps is higher than what I expected, and Bs was kinda low. But whatever. I think it is a good score for a first timer.

So even with my 40, my roommate said she'd still get me that Snuggie. (The deal was above a 40, not inclusive... so 41 or above) I'm so stoked about that new Snuggie!!!!

I'm sure you're more stoked about the 40. Congrats. That is an incredible score. And congrats to the two others who posted 40+ scores, you guys amaze me.

I was so excited with my score, but you guys should really be proud, you have scored better than 99% of anyone who has ever taken the test.

My score:

Physical Sciences: 14
Biological Sciences: 12
Verbal Reasoning: 11
Writing: S

Total: 37S

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah, check this out:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined08.pdf

There is a typo. Bilogical Sciences? I guess AAMC wouldn't even get a T on writing...

Very interesting. Out of 75,809 total administrations in 2008, the mean (average) was 24.9 with a standard deviation of 6.4 (pretty large). What's even more interesting is that over 50% (50.9% to be exact) of all test takers can't even score above a 25. :eek: So don't be fooled by the 38s and 42s that you see on SDN; they are not representative of the premed population.

Very interesting. Out of 75,809 total administrations in 2008, the mean (average) was 24.9 with a standard deviation of 6.4 (pretty large). What's even more interesting is that over 50% (50.9% to be exact) of all test takers can't even score above a 25. :eek: So don't be fooled by the 38s and 42s that you see on SDN; they are not representative of the premed population.

I guess I know why my BS score sucked so badly, I was studying biology when I should have been studying bilogics. Amazing they would put a big, fat typo out there for every anal premed to see. Makes you wonder about the actual test writers....

Ok here goes...

PS - 8 (up one from last take)
VR - 9 (went down one)
WS - O ("up" one)
BS - 8 (up 2)

25O, which makes my new combined score a 26O, just the bare minimum for my top choice school. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if it's enough. :xf:

just registered for 4/24

God I wish I knew what mistakes I made.
It's killing me.
I was expecting 13/8/13 at worst and got 11/8/11

Hi Nodtradatbeach or anyone else who knows the answer to this,

Do they really combine scores together? Here's my crappy situation

PS 6 (down 2)
VR 7 ( up 2)
Bio 10 (up 1)

Since my first PS was 8 and it is now a 6, do the schools combine the best from different exams to create the best score? If I use my PS score from my prior exam I would have a combined score of 25, instead of the 23 I have now. Do schools really "cherry pick" from different exams?

PS 6 (down 2)
VR 7 ( up 2)
Bio 10 (up 1)

Since my first PS was 8 and it is now a 6, do the schools combine the best from different exams to create the best score? If I use my PS score from my prior exam I would have a combined score of 25, instead of the 23 I have now. Do schools really "cherry pick" from different exams?

I've heard that it depends on the school. Some take the single best test, others take the best of each section across multiple tests. You should call and ask.

PS 6 (down 2)
VR 7 ( up 2)
Bio 10 (up 1)

It really just depends on the school. I met with the Deans at my top choices and asked questions just such as that. Also, you'll find that some schools weigh certain sections more than others. I was surprised to learn in the same meeting that the school also looks most closely at VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
i improved from 22Q to 27R, VR 4 to 6, ps stayed 10, bio 8 to 11...so yay!!!!all around improment for me....i am a happy man now...DO, i am coming...~~~~~~~~~~~

completely agree with u~~~~~~
they completely underestimate the task of getting into medschool while they honor the reputation of a doctor..

I pride myself in knowing more bio/orgo than physics, but my score says otherwise. Maybe the fact I've never taken a genetics course has something to do with it. I just so relieved I don't have to take it again.

Congrats to everyone~ For the ronins good luck on your retake and don't lose heart!! You'll be fine =)

The good news is - I have 2 interviews for MD 2009 entrance... the bad news is - I think I still have to plan a retake just in case those don't work out. Ugh - can't believe I might have to take this for a 3rd time. :(

The good news is - I have 2 interviews for MD 2009 entrance... the bad news is - I think I still have to plan a retake just in case those don't work out. Ugh - can't believe I might have to take this for a 3rd time. :(

Congrats on the interviews! Where are they?

Congratulations! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

can i ask you guys a question?

do you remember the prompts they gave you for the writing section? i was hoping for extra practice

I got my Snuggie yesterday. It keeps my arms free letting me hug the David Beckham poster in my apt. A real blanket would never let me do that. The only problem is the open back. haha...

IMGP0008.JPG

wow.. congratz to every one who did good..

and good luck all who are going to retake it!.. ive one more year.. and i'll be taking the mCATS..

Sorry to resurrect this, but is it true that the 1/30/20_ _ MCATs are more generously curved? i.e. The easiest to score high on, out of all tests administered during the year?

Thanks!

Sorry to resurrect this, but is it true that the 1/30/20_ _ MCATs are more generously curved? i.e. The easiest to score high on, out of all tests administered during the year?

Thanks!

No one besides the people who work at AAMC know the answer to that question. I think our general conclusion was that our test was very hard so the scale reflected that.

is anyone else taking the exam on saturday in clark, nj? wondering what the test center is like (temperature, noise, etc) for those who have taken it before

i know i said this already but damn i am so freaking nervous.. my average on aamc 3-9 is a 32, which is great cause i only need a 29P (P10/V9/B10) for my direct med program with drexel but i'm so scared that i'm gonna freak on exam damn and the scores gonna go down the drain :scared: and i haven't done ANY writing practice yet so idk how i'm gonna get that "P" either :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: ahhhh anxiety attack :(

This is last year's thread. The 1/30/2010 thread can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=662643