The Official 03/28/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8mile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I'm taking the MCAT on this day, and no one has started a thread for this date yet, I'm starting one.

May the MCAT god be with us!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

well, good luck to you and thank you for not letting my thread fail.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you started this thread, I was looking for it for a while.

How's the prep/studying going for everyone and how are you all studying for it?

I'm currently in a TPR course

I am going to do EK 10 wk program and start in Dec after finals. I took a practice test aq few weeks back w/o studying and got 9/8/7/O so I think I should be okay if I study. I'm shooting for that perfect 10/10/10 :)

I'm retaking my MCAT, so I'm retaking my Kaplan course and working on my weaknesses.

were you unhappy with your original score in all sections or are you just trying to improve upon one section?

I should be satisfied, but I'm a CA resident.:cool:

I'm trying to improve all sections, but verbal probably won't go up too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating on this date or January! Does anyone know if the spot will fill up very soon? I'm shooting for Jan. 31st though. I'm on my final run of review now, memorizing reactions and things. I'll begin taking practice tests very soon!

Spot would depend on the location and which date you are thinking about. Jan was full for my area when I registered. You can always get into the registration screen and see if they are still opened. I'd register sooner rather than later though.

Hi Guys,

I plan on taking simulated practice exams weekly beginning Saturday, Dec 20 leading up to the exam.

Since our exam is a noon administration, I was wondering if you guys plan on taking your practice exams at noon. It would make sense to do so in order to condition the brain for optimal performance at that time. However, I'm concerned about 'wasting' valuable study time.

If I take the exam at noon during practice, what will I do in the hours leading up to the exam? If I study, I'll be mentally exhausted to begin a full length. And I'd likely not have time afterwards to thouroughly review the tests before going to bed.

If I take the exam at 8, I'll have plenty of time to complete the exam and review. However, I risk training my brain for 8 instead of noon.

I'm not sure that any of this will effect my score. It will probably just affect my mood and level of exhaustion really.

Just wondering how you guys are planning on approaching this potential issue.

Well, I just registered for the noon exam... and for me, I don't really wake up until around 11 anyway. What time do you wake up? Maybe sleep in a little! :D

But seriously though, I don't think it'll be a huge deal. Just keep practicing, and you'll build plenty of stamina for whenever you want to take it. Maybe do some errands and other stuff before noon if you're an early bird, and then focus on MCAT for the rest of the day.

I'm gonna' do BK review until the end of december, then do Kaplan topicals/PS/BS tests staring January till February, all the while doing EK verbal 101, and begin taking 2-3 full lengths a week until between Feb. and test day!

I'm sooooo glad I changed my date from Jan. 31st to March 28th! I'd be overwhelmed otherwise!

Cher, Study late the night before and wake up late to take the test? I'm not really sure. I usually have stuff going on mornings anyway and I am not overly concerned with timing issues, so maybe I am not the best to advise on this haha.

Well, I just registered for the noon exam... and for me, I don't really wake up until around 11 anyway. What time do you wake up? Maybe sleep in a little! :D

But seriously though, I don't think it'll be a huge deal. Just keep practicing, and you'll build plenty of stamina for whenever you want to take it. Maybe do some errands and other stuff before noon if you're an early bird, and then focus on MCAT for the rest of the day.

I'm gonna' do BK review until the end of december, then do Kaplan topicals/PS/BS tests staring January till February, all the while doing EK verbal 101, and begin taking 2-3 full lengths a week until between Feb. and test day!

I'm sooooo glad I changed my date from Jan. 31st to March 28th! I'd be overwhelmed otherwise!

In general I'm up between 6 and 6:30 and studying by 8. I'm free to study all day leading up to the exam except for once a week.

I'm in Kaplan online so I also have the abundance of materials. I'll be done with content review on Dec 18 and then I'll start using all of their materials.

I'll take your advice and continue to practice and build stamina. I think I'm falling for the pre-med trap. Just finding something else to obsess about LoL

yes! this thread has more posts than the april mcat thread. I'm happy.:D

I was originally going to take the Jan 30th exam but decided another 2 months of studying could give me the extra time needed to prep. AKA im now in the March 28th boat with you guys. good luck to all!

is anyone of u taking Kaplan classes or anyother classes...? or have u taken it before n what share exprience cus I am planning too but hestitating...please jump in and help
thank you

i would not suggest taking kaplan classes, i have attended kaplan classes for about a month and decided not to waste my time any more. This is how MCAT live courses work, they have lesson plans that they have to go through each time the class meet, and its basically what you would read before going to the class. Teachers can't really answer anything outside of what they have in their notes. Now, that's is my experience, people living in diff. areas may have good people teacing for kaplan who really knows what they are teaching. I definately thing you don't need to spend that much money, you can get tons of practice material for less. So, atleast start with studying on your own and if later you decide to take a course, i would recommend princton, because they have more knowlegable teachers.

Thank u ! I have already dicided not to take any classes. I will try study by my own and my 03/28/08 club.

Thank you

Break has started, time to start studying.

AMCAS can't be submitted until June. I wont work on mine until after I take the MCAT and won't get super serious about it until I see my scores.

same here, although winter break started for my a week ago and I still haven't really gotten any serious studying in.:p

Hey everyone...

I plan to take it this day as well yet have not officially registered as of yet.

I began studying Saturday, Dec 13 as that was my first day of break.

I mainly have just been going through NOVA's MCAT Physics book now and am about 1/3 of the way done with it. I find that conceptually I am fine yet I am not used to doing math without a calculator yet and that has been holding me back a bit. I'm getting the rest of my prep books for Christmas so I made the parents give me one to work on before Christmas. I really hope I do good the first time as I really do not want to retake!

About the whole noon thing... that was one of the reasons I chose this date!

I am the WORST morning person and seem to function mentally at 11AM+ as I am always a zombie through all of my morning classes. I find 12PM will be a good time for me to do practice tests as well since that will allow me to do the test and finish around dinner.

Now when you buy the AAMC tests, do you always have access to it and do they provide reasons for correct answers? I don't plan to start the practice tests until I get through all of the prep-book material first, just want to know for future reference.

The AAMC does provide answers to their tests, although I sometimes think that the explanations are a little lacking.

I am registered for 3/28, too! I started studying a year ago but my situation was different from most. I am a nontrad and took the pre-req classes several years ago. I had to relearn, not just review everything. I could not see spending all that money on a review course so I have been making due with Gold Standard, Examcrackers, and Kaplan books, CDs, online QBank. Maybe I will regret the decision not to take the Kaplan course when I see my score in April...

I'm hoping to take the March exam, but I don't know if I'll feel ready by then...then again who does ever feel ready?

Going well. Decided to take a VR test every other day, while doing a BR section every other day, and 6 passages from the 1001 EK BIO. so I'm definitely staying busy!

I'm almost done with my Physics RE-view. Then I'm moving onto Chem.

I feel.....:sleep:

I've decided to take the MCATs this day as well. Glad to know I'm not alone too much in this process!! I've also decided like a lot of folks in here not to take any classes. Using the EK 10 week system starting today and my instinctive voice of reasoning to murder the MCATs in cold blood is my method.

How's everyone feeling about their methods of studying??

3/28 MCATers: (in chronological order)

8mile, Caesar, sadiehawkins, Doctormo24, cher25, tshanholtz, yousafob, Ilkaan, Zona Pellucida, FuturePittMed, HunterJumper, InquisitiveDoc

Hmm, seems like a small group, guess we'll all ace it then.

Almost done with NOVA Physics (some chapters didn't go so good [Torque, Light]... but luckily I have Physics II next semester and my professor is cool and told me to come to him anytime I need help with my MCAT prep [Physics Related])

Working my way through EK Bio right now... pretty easy as I am a biology major and know most of it already... Been doing good on the lecture questions... missed a few stupid ones but mainly reading errors.

For Verbal I haven't done EK 101 yet as I want to save it for when the date approaches as it seems to early

Haven't touched Gen or O Chem yet. I liked O Chem and was more recent so I am not as worried about that... plus I have Biochemistry next semester. Gen Chem worries me as it was my least favorite class of all time.

Hope everyone else is doing good! Keep it up...

When do you all plan to start FLs...

I wanna get through all my content review first so I am hoping to start the FLs in maybe March?

Almost done with NOVA Physics (some chapters didn't go so good [Torque, Light]... but luckily I have Physics II next semester and my professor is cool and told me to come to him anytime I need help with my MCAT prep [Physics Related])

Working my way through EK Bio right now... pretty easy as I am a biology major and know most of it already... Been doing good on the lecture questions... missed a few stupid ones but mainly reading errors.

For Verbal I haven't done EK 101 yet as I want to save it for when the date approaches as it seems to early

Haven't touched Gen or O Chem yet. I liked O Chem and was more recent so I am not as worried about that... plus I have Biochemistry next semester. Gen Chem worries me as it was my least favorite class of all time.

Hope everyone else is doing good! Keep it up...

When do you all plan to start FLs...

I wanna get through all my content review first so I am hoping to start the FLs in maybe March?

I also just finished NOVA Physics: I had LOADS of trouble with the torque chapter, so many wrong in that chapter.... :p

Biochem is more Bio than Ochem. But luckily, Ochem is a small portion of the bio section.

I just started Reviewing Gen Chem. My goal is to improve my Physical Science score and verbal as much as possible. I didn't really pay attention in my bio classes so it might be hard to improve the bio section.

A month before the test is what most people echo about the timing of the FLs.

Hope everyone is making progress!

My XBOX 360 with Gears of War 2 HORDE MODE is really distracting me :p

I get SO much more done when I go to the library. I'll go everyday now, cause this is getting ridiculous!

taking 3/28/09 mcat in peoria, il !!! this will be my second time taking mcat. just began intense studying a couple of days ago. hopefully this time around ill do better....i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to