The Official 03/28/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8mile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I'm taking the MCAT on this day, and no one has started a thread for this date yet, I'm starting one.

May the MCAT god be with us!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

So my uncle (dentist) made me feel like **** at dinner the other day.

"You should be taking the Kaplan course!"
"You should not be taking it in May... You should do it in August and study all summer!"

Thanks.

Like I'm not already stressed enough about this! haha

I'm sooooo glad I changed my date from Jan. 31st to March 28th! I'd be overwhelmed otherwise!

I just switched my date from January to March. I'm using the 10 week EK study plan, however, I've found that the allotment of time given for reviewing materials is IMHO very conservative. I just didn't want to walk into the January exam feeling rushed or like I still had a lot of stuff to cover. The instant my credit card confirmation screen popped up, I knew I had done the right thing. I'm still on the EK schedule, but now I have more time to go over my problem areas. I'd like to get through the topic books, 1001 books, AO CDs, and flashcards at least once, and now I believe I will...:xf:

Good luck studying everyone!

i think 3 months of intense studying is fine...1 month of hardcore review
2nd month of review and crap load of review questions, and 3rd month nothing but questions and practice tests

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.

I just realized all my posts have been in the 03/28/09 thread.

I am taking 05/28/09.

If I can't correctly read a post subject, god help me on the MCAT hahaha

Sorry all, but best of luck! (I don't even think there are May threads yet)

So I am using the EK books but not following the 10 wk plan I am going to read a "chapter" a day which takes like a little less than 6 weeks (mon-Fri) and sat I am doing all of the "class tests" + a 101 verbal set and sunday I think I'm going to take an AAMC full length.

After I finish the chapters I am going to just do practice problems and review when needed. I am taking a full load of classes at the same time so I think this method might work best for me, anyone have any views on it?

Wow.

I just realized all my posts have been in the 03/28/09 thread.

I am taking 05/28/09.

If I can't correctly read a post subject, god help me on the MCAT hahaha

Sorry all, but best of luck! (I don't even think there are May threads yet)

lol, guess we just lost someone.

So I am using the EK books but not following the 10 wk plan I am going to read a "chapter" a day which takes like a little less than 6 weeks (mon-Fri) and sat I am doing all of the "class tests" + a 101 verbal set and sunday I think I'm going to take an AAMC full length.

After I finish the chapters I am going to just do practice problems and review when needed. I am taking a full load of classes at the same time so I think this method might work best for me, anyone have any views on it?

Good luck with the chapter a day method, especially with the Biology chapters which can be fairly lengthy. I'd factor in one or two (maybe three) more "buffer" weeks to the EK study schedule since you already have a full load of classes as well...

dear god I haven't started studying yet...time to get on that....like I'm grabbing my EK books NOW..I actually took a full length practice test and did the first few EK chapters in August but then the semester got going and I stopped studying...oh well I'm good at cramming anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
i started it and then i didnt like some of the ek books like physics and gen chem so i'm using their bio w/ the 1001 and the verbal with 101
physics and gen chem im studying with TBR

Wow, looks like this threat certainly did NOT fail! Anyway, just rescheduled my test date from jan 31 to march 28. Am looking forward to the noon start time and extra time to study. Good luck everyone!

I started the EK 10 week before, but I never really got very far because it seemed like too much.

I think we might get a few more migrators as the end of January approaches, hopefully these people won't ruin the curve for the rest of us. :)

I think we might get a few more migrators as the end of January approaches, hopefully these people won't ruin the curve for the rest of us. :)
Isn't the curve pre-determined by previous test takers who had the same passages/questions?

Isn't the curve pre-determined by previous test takers who had the same passages/questions?

you know what, I think you're right.:)

let's hope that there weren't any smart people who took the same questions that we are about to get.

you know what, I think you're right.:)

let's hope that there weren't any smart people who took the same questions that we are about to get.

Haha yeah! I don't know whether we know for sure though. I used to think they curved us against those who took it on the same day, but posts on SDN indicated otherwise.

There have been previous threads debating this - I saw some over the summer with some people claiming it is actually by who takes it on your test day (and thus X is better than Y test date)...

Last edited:
I'm doing the EK 10 week study schedule. Not exactly following it in 10-weeks though, it actually doubled. I work full-time, plus you got to throw-in holidays and vacations (I might miss one or two days of studying some weeks), but I do follow how long they tell you to study each night and what to do. After I'm done with content, it's just gonna be practice, practice, practice.

Oh man, I didn't even know this thread existed. Awesome!

I started studying in August. I have three sections left in Berkeley Review, so I'll finish my content review pretty soon. Then I'll be switching to review/practice problems, but I'm aiming to keep studying for the same amount of time (~4 hours on most days. I wake up at 7 and study until noon.) I normally wouldn't try to balance that kind of schedule with classes, but I'm only taking 12 hours this spring, so I'm going for it. What the hell.

How's everyone else doing with the studying?

I'm kinda of burnt out already:mad:, my brain feels much slower and less sharp. hopefully I can recharge during this holiday.

I keep worrying I wont be ready enough in terms of not being able to finish studying the materials i have :(

Mind if I jump in on this one with you guys?

I actually plan to take it in May, but theres no harm to be done in pretending I am taking it in April (or heck, if I really push myself maybe I will register for it... when is the last date to register for the test?).

Best of luck to you guys. Curiosity question: If the MCAT's are curved/scaled to the national scores, does that mean theoretically that a select number of people get 44-45s on the MCAT? And has anyone ever gotten a T on the written section?

Hey y'all!

I'm registered for the MCAT on 3/28 as well! I took the test for the first time this past August and did well, but I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) that I can do better so I'm trying again.

I'm really afraid of my score going down in a section so my here is my plan: I'm going to take a couple of AAMCs a couple of weeks preceding the MCAT and if I'm not scoring consistently a few points higher than I want to on the real thing I'm not going to risk it, and I won't re-take.

The first time I studied I used mostly Kaplan materials, but I was relatively undisciplined and had to cram a lot of material into the last couple of weeks. I also think that I didn't spend enough time learning "how" to take the test. This time I'm doing the 10 week EK course as review paying specific attention to learning the format and style of the test. Oh and I'm actually going to attempt to learn how to write the essays... I know that with my current writing score the admissions committee will be wondering if I'm a native speaker of English....which I am….

Good luck to all!!!

Hey y'all!

I'm registered for the MCAT on 3/28 as well! I took the test for the first time this past August and did well, but I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) that I can do better so I'm trying again.

I'm really afraid of my score going down in a section so my here is my plan: I'm going to take a couple of AAMCs a couple of weeks preceding the MCAT and if I'm not scoring consistently a few points higher than I want to on the real thing I'm not going to risk it, and I won't re-take.

The first time I studied I used mostly Kaplan materials, but I was relatively undisciplined and had to cram a lot of material into the last couple of weeks. I also think that I didn't spend enough time learning "how" to take the test. This time I'm doing the 10 week EK course as review paying specific attention to learning the format and style of the test. Oh and I'm actually going to attempt to learn how to write the essays... I know that with my current writing score the admissions committee will be wondering if I'm a native speaker of English....which I am….

Good luck to all!!!

I see we have another retaker. Good luck to you too.

I will be a first-timer on 3/28. I just realized there are only 8 weekends left to study! :eek:

I do study most days but I get my best, most focused studying done on the the weekends since I work during the week.

oh man, let's not QUANTIFY how much time we have left! It freaks me out! I'm also a first timer. I'm gonna start taking my 20-practice-test marathon starting feb. 8th. And then, the epic showdown!

AAMC 3: 9 PS 11 VR 11 BS ---> 31

AAMC 4: 10 PS 9 VR 10 BS ---> 29

Hows everyone's practice test scores coming along so far? I plan on taking 1 AAMC every Saturday at 12 noon to simulate real test conditions.

Also, what materials are you 3/28'ers mainly using for study prep? I've already taken notes on each chapter in all the EK books as well as the Kaplan PS and BS books and am now focusing on doing as many practice problems as possible with the EK 1001's. Good luck to everyone!

My cellphone has a 'count down' option, so I currently have it counting down until MCAT day. (61 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes!) I think it's actually pretty motivational right now, but when it starts getting scary-close, I'm definitely going to have to delete it.

Currently trying to phase into just doing problems from EK's 1001, and then I'll continue with practice tests. (So far: AAMC 3 - 29, AAMC 4 - 35). I'll take AAMC 5 next weekend.

Anyone else taking the test in Fresno, CA?

BTW, the countdown feature is a good idea. I'm gonna look for one on my phone :D

I will be taking the mcat on this date
march 28th is my bday, 21st to be specific.

AAMC 3: 9 PS 11 VR 11 BS ---> 31

AAMC 4: 10 PS 9 VR 10 BS ---> 29

Hows everyone's practice test scores coming along so far? I plan on taking 1 AAMC every Saturday at 12 noon to simulate real test conditions.

Also, what materials are you 3/28'ers mainly using for study prep? I've already taken notes on each chapter in all the EK books as well as the Kaplan PS and BS books and am now focusing on doing as many practice problems as possible with the EK 1001's. Good luck to everyone!

You way ahead of me...I'm behind men...I'm still doing the reading...oh ..no that not good. I think I have to speed up. Hows everyone's study or practice testing going....?

By the way yousafob' can I ask when u start studying?
Good Luck ev..one

how many of you guys are taking classes while studying for the MCAT? any extra suggestions for managing the two?

I will be taking the mcat on this date
march 28th is my bday, 21st to be specific

I'll be 22 on March 29th! Let's hope we both have some birthday luck! ...or pre-birthday luck for me anyway

I am starting to take the AAMC's maybe this week but probably not until the Next Physics is my weakest area and I haven't really started it yet. I am not using EK Physics anymore because I didn't like it. I am using TPR now. much better for me personally.

I also am going to start doing 101 this weekend. Anyone else using that?

how many of you guys are taking classes while studying for the MCAT? any extra suggestions for managing the two?
I am in Biochem II, Physiology, Molecular Toxicology and Pharmacology, Senior Assignment Research, and Immunology. I also volunteer one day a week in a major hospital about 45 mins away which eats up alot of my tuesdays. Currently I am only getting in about an hour of study a day, but I plan on upping that considerably as time goes on.

I have literally the easiest full course load quarter EVER.

Basically I have no outside homework, no real need to study until 2 days before midterms and a really easy research class.

I really like this quarter.:cool:

Wait a minute, nvm, I don't like this quarter.:boom:

anyone else here getting nervous after reading the 1/30/2009 MCAT thread? :(

I remember the verbal was indeed longer than the AAMC tests when I took my MCAT last September, but the curve was probably adjusted as well.

You way ahead of me...I'm behind men...I'm still doing the reading...oh ..no that not good. I think I have to speed up. Hows everyone's study or practice testing going....?

By the way yousafob' can I ask when u start studying?
Good Luck ev..one

I started studying last year around November, but it was very light (maybe 10-15 hours a week). However, since January I've been trying to bump those hours up a little bit to around 25-30 hours a week of studying on average.