The Official 04/13/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jevo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time we had an official thread, seeing how our mcat is less than a month away.

I'm getting ready for my first practice test on Saturday or Sunday. How is everyone else coming along?

Members don't see this ad.

I know, right?! I would have thought more people to find that humorous!

Good luck bajastapler!

Mainly doing content review all day - might bleed in to tomorrow, depending on whether I get through everything or not.

Trying to fight off the pre-test anxiety. So far, I've only had one minor attack. What is everyone else doing tomorrow? Practice? Content Review? Nothing?

Members don't see this ad :)
today i'm doing content review/practice passages from most of the BR chapters

tomorrow i'm gonna go over aamc 11, and outline ~10 approaches to sample essay topics (this is the only prep i'm going for that section...) and focus on catching up on the school work i've been putting off for the last 3 weeks

Ok, so what is the best way to study for PS and Ochem? I have all the EK books and Kaplan. I've been through EK's and Kaplan maybe once. I like EK's because of the colors and pictures...hehe, they keep me awake. But seriously I feel like I can't get any higher than 8's or 9's on PS using EK is TBR really that much better than EK? I'm planning on taking the MCAT in June and need to focus on PS and Ochem hard. What are the best books/materials (online or offline) that will help?

Two days left! Honestly, I'll be happy with scoring my practice test average (31). I just can't wait to get this test over with so I can start my PS.

Good luck everyone! Friday night is a drinking night :hardy:

Aaahhh I can't really focus any more...:(

I hear ya. I've been cramming since 9am this morning.

As expected, my immune system has let me down. I think I'm coming down with a cold. Any ideas on how to supercharge my immune system between now and then. I don't want to be THAT guy, you know, the one constantly sniffing while you're trying to concentrate on VR.

If I were you, given your practice test scores, I wouldn't retake it. You said you got a 28 last year, but this year your practice tests haven't averaged over a 27. From what it seems, you're setting yourself up to score even lower on this exam. Had your practice tests been in the mid 30s, then you'd be on point. But since your practice scores are lower than your actually mcat, what would you do if you got a 25 (which is very possible)? Best case scenario is that you score 2 or 3 points above your average, but what is the likelihood of that happening? And even then, 3 pts above your average would put you at a 29 at best (only 1 pt more than your previous test). Is the risk worth it?

Thanks, that's the logic I was going with too but I wanted so badly to have a mid may application. I've got to think about it long term though and a good MCAT app in June is better than another high 20 in may.

Members don't see this ad :)
My average is probably around a 33.5 or something, I've gotten a 32, a few 33's, a 34, and a 35, but I'm really scared of getting <30 on the actual MCAT, since I'm reading through all these posts about how people got lower than their averages. I just really hope it doesn't happen to me or anyone here. :(

Don't stress, you will rock the exam!! You know everything you need to. Magic 8 ball says you're getting a 34.

I hope so. 34+ it is! :)

Also, I did an EK verbal test today and got an 11 (my average), and had 15 minutes left over! Hopefully tomorrow's verbal will be easy.

Not too many of us taking the test tomorrow..

I am starting to get nervous but hoping for a better luck the second time around :luck:

Good luck everyone :)

Folks, think positive!

Take advantage of what you learned from the Jan, March & early April fellows.

Stay focus, fire up. This is your game. You control it!:claps:

Good Luck & Best Wishes! :luck::luck:

Goodluck guys. Be prepared for a few crazy passages but just know that the guy beside you is saying wtf right along with you. Believe in yourself and go into the test with confidence...

Good luck guys! Just go in with confidence, refresh yourselves after each section. TAKE YOUR BREAKS, you don't want to burn out mid test. And also just know that you won't come out of the test feeling good, its ok! You're not supposed to feel good afterwards. I know you guys are gonna come back with some great scores!

gl guys :D
hope everyone gets the score they are shooting for!
member not to get hung up over one question

thanks everyone

for a thread with barely any people taking the test tomorrow, there are more encouraging words than most of the past few mcat date threads on here LOL

gl to us all!!

3 months of not having fun and studying pays off tomorrow. Its time to destroy this thing.

And after, Vegas time :D

hey if anyone is still up and planning to write their MCAT in toronto area, i recieved some emails from prometric today to show up at a different location tomorow? :S
i was supposed to write it in toronto at willis college but email is telling me to go to another location in missisauga. what to do?

hey if anyone is still up and planning to write their MCAT in toronto area, i recieved some emails from prometric today to show up at a different location tomorow? :S
i was supposed to write it in toronto at willis college but email is telling me to go to another location in missisauga. what to do?

Call them bright and early

test is scheduled for 8 :( so i will try calling them early but these two test centers are atleast 40 min drive apart. so should i go to the original test center or the rescheduled one. anyone else from toronto received this email?

test is scheduled for 8 :( so i will try calling them early but these two test centers are atleast 40 min drive apart. so should i go to the original test center or the rescheduled one. anyone else from toronto received this email?

if the email address that emailed you is legitimate then I would go to the new place.

Okay so that wasn't too bad after all. Overall, I thought the test was fair with a couple of tough passages here and there. Here's my breakdown by section:

Physical Sciences: Not my strongest area but I thought it was about the same as aamc practice tests (although there was one passage and a couple of discretes that really killed me).

Verbal: The questions were harder than aamc but the majority of passages were doable (even interesting). I'll be satisfied with a 10.

Writing: Piece of cake.

Biological Sciences: I thought this was the easiest of all 3 section. Biology was very straightforward although some of the discretes were kind of weird. Ochem was ok.

Okay so that wasn't too bad after all. Overall, I thought the test was fair with a couple of tough passages here and there. Here's my breakdown by section:

Physical Sciences: Not my strongest area but I thought it was about the same as aamc practice tests (although there was one passage and a couple of discretes that really killed me).

Verbal: The questions were harder than aamc but the majority of passages were doable (even interesting). I'll be satisfied with a 10.

Biological Sciences: I thought this was the easiest of all 3 section. Biology was very straightforward although some of the discretes were kind of weird. Ochem was ok.

For the physical sciences was there a lot fo math involved. Did you spend a lot of time doing calculations?

How much did background knowledge of bio help in the BS section? Was PS calculation heavy? If you had any advice for future test takers, in regards to what your own perceptions were prior to the test, what would it be?

Congrats on being done. I was originally signed up but postponed :|

DONE!

It wasn't bad at all. However, I know for sure that I missed a few in PS because the first Verbal passage covered that material in depth. :bang:

Huge amount of Orgo on this one. Was not expecting that. Other than that, the PS section was a blur but they wanted you to do a lot more non simple math. The math on the practice tests uses lots simpler numbers. And verbal seemed somewhat simple but still hope I get a 10.

man I scored a 37 on the AAMC 11 and I'll hope to god I get a 30 or 31 on this.

Last edited:
To me, PS and verbal seemed pretty similar the the AAMC practice tests, but BS was awful for me. Normally i have 10 minutes remaining when I finish, but this time I didn't even get to read 3 of the passages. :( I'm really upset that I'm going to probably have to take it again; the orgo killed me.

Last edited:
To me, PS and verbal seemed pretty similar the the AAMC practice tests, but BS was awful for me. Normally i have 10 minutes remaining when I finish, but this time I didn't even get to read 3 of the passages. :( I'm really upset the I'm going to probably have to take it again; the orgo killed me.

How many orgo passages and discretes were there?

Wow, I usually get 13-14 on BS, but now I'm hoping for like an 11. I thought BS was ridiculously hard while the other sections were similar to the practice tests.

Verbal was easy. PS was easier than BS, but still hard. Was running out of time for PS, so didn't think as carefully on the last passage as the others. There was more orgo than I expected too.