The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. I am starting to study this week.

I have a question in regard to registration. I had to register for an out-of-state test center as my state, California, had been filled up so quickly. Recently I have seen California sometimes appeared on the drop-down list again. However, when I clicked on the Find Seat button, it just showed "No Seats Available." If there was really no seats, why did California show up again on the drop-down list and why did the test center show up on the list ? Do you guys have any ideas what is going on ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I am starting to study this week.

I have a question in regard to registration. I had to register for an out-of-state test center as my state, California, had been filled up so quickly. Recently I have seen California sometimes appeared on the drop-down list again. However, when I clicked on the Find Seat button, it just showed "No Seats Available." If there was really no seats, why did California show up again on the drop-down list and why did the test center show up on the list ? Do you guys have any ideas what is going on ?

hey! something similar happened to me (haven't registered yet, need to wait till mid april). i say keep checking and a seat will hopefully open up soon. I think that a seat will for sure open up at some point before the test, but can't really count on that. Like, for instance, the Jan test had been closed for quite some time, but there are seats now open where I'm from. Good luck to us both in getting a seat in our preferred testing location!

hey! something similar happened to me (haven't registered yet, need to wait till mid april). i say keep checking and a seat will hopefully open up soon. I think that a seat will for sure open up at some point before the test, but can't really count on that. Like, for instance, the Jan test had been closed for quite some time, but there are seats now open where I'm from. Good luck to us both in getting a seat in our preferred testing location!

California has showed up again once or twice with a seat in the past week, but when I attempted to take the opening slot it says "No Seats Available." It's just weird ! Are you in CA as well ? Yeah, I think the closer to test date, the more people reschedule as they're behind in studying, especially in March and early April. Hopefully we can obtain a seat at our preferred location. Good luck to you too !

I am planning to take the 04/28 exam as well. I am going to try out SN2ed's schedule, but wont be able to start studying until 01/24. :luck: everyone. :]

Are you guys studying for this while still in school or are you non-traditional? I've got an easy semester of mostly gen-ed requirements, and I'm trying to decide between a few dates right now before registering, leaning heavily towards towards this date.

I am a graduate student, so I will be balancing studying with 1 course + 1 TA commitment for the first two months, and then 2 courses for the second two months. I also have a couple conference presentations peppered in between. I'm not sure whether it'd be advisable to have all of these going on while studying, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. :cool:

I'm in here. I got 40 hr/week obligations until March but will be studying my ass off inbetween. I'm in TPR but also bought material corresponding to SN2's schedule. Started studying with TPR in January and am ****ing getting destroyed so far. I'd suggest you all start now if you have obligations.

Hey everyone! I hope your studying is moving along swimmingly. Just as an update, I decided yesterday to re-order a new set of TBR books. :thumbdown:

I had purchased a used-set when I was studying for the MCAT in 2008, but they were pretty dated at the time (copyrights of 2003 C&P/2005 B&O). I never cracked them open since I had a boatload of TPR resources to use. I still thought they'd be usable for this upcoming retake. Fast forward to yesterday, I found a lot of writing in the practice passages (sometimes with pen) and decided it wasn't worth working around that.

Add me to the list of students who naively purchased TBR books from craigslist and ended up wasting money! :oops:

Are you guys studying for this while still in school or are you non-traditional? I've got an easy semester of mostly gen-ed requirements, and I'm trying to decide between a few dates right now before registering, leaning heavily towards towards this date.

I'm studying with a pretty busy semester. It's kinda hard. Every spare second I have my nose buried in a book, basically. But the way I saw it I had three options if I didn't want to take a year off:

- Start studying like, now and take in April.
- Start studying in ~March or April and take in June or July.
- Start studying in ~May and take in August.

I opted for the first one, because I'd still have to study with the same course load in March or April. And in case I don't do well the first round, if I take it in August, it's too late for a retake. This way I just get it out of the way, and have a cushion if I need to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to take it on April 28th because it's an afternoon session, on Saturday, and early enough to get results to apply early. Maybe it will open back up at a close location to me. If not, when I do decide on a date, I will go for something earlier or slightly later. I have been trying to apply for AAMC FAP because that will help with this expensive application. Will see.

Been studying less intensely since August. I started with EK as a brief overview and purchased TPRH for in-depth studying. I have a few more chapters in each book (haven't used Verbal book). I started doing practice passages after each lesson, but found I didn't have enough time in the day with my schedule to read and practice problems. I plan to go through the science and verbal workbook once I finish everything. That will tell me if I recall earlier material or not. I don't think it will be a problem.

I'm a nontraditional ready to succeed.

I studied for the 1/27 exam, but didn't feel ready so i've rescheduled for the 4/28 exam...I'm also taking a different approach to studying. Signed up for TPR online course, we'll see how that goes! Good luck everyone.

I'm retaking on the 28th too. Slowly easing into studying using the SN2ED plan. I took it last July so the material is still fairly fresh.

Are any other retakers interviewing at the moment and hoping for a last minute stay of mcat execution? I'm on two wait lists and have 3 more interviews in the next two weeks.

Good luck all!

Registered back in november or so. Have been studying since the beginning of january with the sn2ed technique with modifications as needed due to being a nontrad working full time and taking ochem 2 this semester. Definitely is challenging keeping up.

So im taking the 3/24 exam and just took my first real aamc exam (not counting my kaplan diagnostic and midterm) and I got a P: 9 V: 7 B: 10. A little disappointed really want a 30-32 but i was wondering how everyone else is doing and wondering how good of an indicator the aamc's are of the actual?

How did you do on the kaplan FL 1. ignore the diagnostic. also, did you go over the aamc exam afterwards to see why you got the questions wrong? Also Are you done with content review?
To answer your question, the AAMC tests are good predictors of the actual exam.

So im taking the 3/24 exam and just took my first real aamc exam (not counting my kaplan diagnostic and midterm) and I got a P: 9 V: 7 B: 10. A little disappointed really want a 30-32 but i was wondering how everyone else is doing and wondering how good of an indicator the aamc's are of the actual?

Yes im done with content for the most part, need to work on memorizing pesky details, and any gaps Im hoping to fill by taking lots of Kaplan section tests. I took Kaplan FL 1 about a month ago, got a 22, P: 7 V: 7 B: 8 but I feel like Ive done a lot of work since then and also had my first round of exams in regular classes, but have been back on mcat since then, about a week. However Ive been doing timed verbal passages everyday, 3 in 25 min, for a week or two and am pretty disappointed that no improvement is reflected in my score. However I did feel a bit distracted and didn't comprehend much as normal in todays test. Also yes i do intend on post phrasing the content from the exam today, haven't yet, but will!

Based on your 7 in verbal, i'll strongly suggest
1. signing up for myreading lab and going through the fundamentals of reading course. Trust me, if you start with the intermediate, you'll prolly not make it there. it should help with actively reading and change the way you even study. That c.ourse has 13 modules so you should go through it in a week. you can skip the vocabulary based on your pretest diagnostic
OR
2. borrow powerscores reading comp book from a library and read the first 5 chapters. you can skip chapters 1 and 3 or 4 (which ever one is about diagraming.)

Or
3. do the fundamentals in mrl and then read through powerscores. My reading lab doesn't cover viewpoints and higher stuff inferences and so on till you get to the introductory course and since you're pressed for time (march 24th), , i'll suggest option 3. The introductory and intermediate courses in mrl have about 27 or 28 modules. Powerscore sums those stuff up for you.
If you're aiming for a 10 in verbal, doing the fundamentals in mrl should be good enough. if you need a 12 then do option 2 or 3.

It worked for me. just my 2 cents. oh, myreading lab upped their prices to $35 for a years access but i still think it's worth it. I know they have a new and improved version out but i'm not sure how different it is from the old myreadinglab.You may be able to find the access code on amazon for less. or buy a book that's bundled with the access card for 36 bucks and trade it in to amazon for an $18 gift card.

I'm not saying it'll work for you. It might be worth a try. It's just another option i'm throwing out there.
Good luck.

Yes im done with content for the most part, need to work on memorizing pesky details, and any gaps Im hoping to fill by taking lots of Kaplan section tests. I took Kaplan FL 1 about a month ago, got a 22, P: 7 V: 7 B: 8 but I feel like Ive done a lot of work since then and also had my first round of exams in regular classes, but have been back on mcat since then, about a week. However Ive been doing timed verbal passages everyday, 3 in 25 min, for a week or two and am pretty disappointed that no improvement is reflected in my score. However I did feel a bit distracted and didn't comprehend much as normal in todays test. Also yes i do intend on post phrasing the content from the exam today, haven't yet, but will!

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestion! Definitely need a 10 in verbal! 3 points seems so close and yet so far away (sigh). I haven't really done a whole lot of kaplan verbal, my general consensus from reading other posts have suggested that EK is the way to go, but I think Im going to start mixing in more kaplan verbal with EK and see if the variety doesn't give me a boost. Any opinions on either of these sources for verbal practice!?

EK is a good resource. Their passages in the 101 book are good examples. Start that and see how you do. If you're scoring in the 7-9 range. I say work on your reading comprehension skills. it'll make it soo much easier. I tried did the fundamental course in mrl and when i came back to doing EK 101 was scoring above a 10.
If you've got EK, use it. Again, it's a matter of what'll work for you so try that first. If it works for you, then you're set.

Rescheduled from March to April because I wouldn't be ready. Still content reviewing and still have a lot to cover :( but I'm doing questions from 1001 series as I go so it's taking longer.

i have about week and a half to two weeks....i dunno what happened but this last month i was SUPER unproductive...disappointing

Either way your fine haha you'll have over a month for tests which is technically "ahead of schedule". Only reason i am finishing so early is because i want a couple weeks to go through flash cards and do a TON of ps practice since that's my weak spot. What FL tests do you plan on doing? I have all AAMC 11, Kaplan tests, and online TPR access at my disposal. I need to pick which ones / how many I wanna do by apr 28.

Either way your fine haha you'll have over a month for tests which is technically "ahead of schedule". Only reason i am finishing so early is because i want a couple weeks to go through flash cards and do a TON of ps practice since that's my weak spot. What FL tests do you plan on doing? I have all AAMC 11, Kaplan tests, and online TPR access at my disposal. I need to pick which ones / how many I wanna do by apr 28.

JUST found a spot in so cal last night...

i think im gonna do aamc practice tests TPR tests and maybe MAYBE if i have time TBR

but once im done im gonna hit my weak spots aka PS both gen chem and physics (never really took physics so im teaching myself) havent been doing EK 1001 unless i was getting lower than a 10 on my TBR phases...but i know for a fact i dont remember a lot of what i studied the first time around. so i think im going to take 1-2 weeks to hit all those points. then im going to start with AAMC 3 i think then TPR. Had a friend who took TPR practice tests said he was averaging high 20s and low 30s got a 36 on the real thing....so i think those tests will really motivate me (hopefully). You?

JUST found a spot in so cal last night...

i think im gonna do aamc practice tests TPR tests and maybe MAYBE if i have time TBR

but once im done im gonna hit my weak spots aka PS both gen chem and physics (never really took physics so im teaching myself) havent been doing EK 1001 unless i was getting lower than a 10 on my TBR phases...but i know for a fact i dont remember a lot of what i studied the first time around. so i think im going to take 1-2 weeks to hit all those points. then im going to start with AAMC 3 i think then TPR. Had a friend who took TPR practice tests said he was averaging high 20s and low 30s got a 36 on the real thing....so i think those tests will really motivate me (hopefully). You?

conspiracy-keanu.jpg

get out of my head! thats the same plan I have haha. Bio and orgo come much more naturally to me than gen chem and physics so I'm pretty much gonna assault the TPR science workbook + ek 1001 for a couple weeks after i finish content then go into the practice tests.

conspiracy-keanu.jpg

get out of my head! thats the same plan I have haha. Bio and orgo come much more naturally to me than gen chem and physics so I'm pretty much gonna assault the TPR science workbook + ek 1001 for a couple weeks after i finish content then go into the practice tests.

You looked different from the other picture in your profile. I hope it is not the gen chem getting to you. :idea::rolleyes:

is anyone here doing SN2?

About half-way through review. I've been using EK/Nova Physics/1001 Q's instead of Berkeley though. To be honest, I'm not doing so hot with some of my review. But other things I'm picking up real fast. So right now I'm thinking my strategy is to just nail down what I can nail down now, and go back and study extra the stuff I've been having a rough time with after in more depth. I also somehow have an abundance of full-lengths (4 PR, 1 EK, 8 AAMC) so that's enough to do about one a week until the exam from here on out. That's my strategy for now. Think it sounds OK?

are any of you guys/gals planning on purcahsing the TBR CBTs?

im sort of hesitant b/c i know i may not finish all the TBR passages and i still have all the TPR science workbook passages

Nah I think between the TPR science workbook, remainder tbr passages, AAMC, Kaplan, and TPR practice exams I've already got more than I can handle.

Do you guys think that TPR science workbook is worth the cash/has good practice passages?

Weird, I can't seem to find the PR MCAT science workbook on Amazon, except for a bunch of old editions. Do you think you can link me to the one you're using?

Umm if you can't find it I probably won't be able to either. I never looked for it online but I'm sure it's somewhere or another

Has anyone else been studying with a fairly heavy course-load/feel really exhausted? :sleep: