The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't started writing my PS yet either. I'm saving that for April 30th and onwards. Inputting classes is going to be a *****.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took AAMC 7. Verbal is killing me!

PS: 11
VR: 6
BS: 11

I've been averaging 8-10s on verbal lately, got a few 11s. No idea how I got the 6. Anyone else paranoid that they may have to retake simply because of a low verbal score?

Just took AAMC 7. Verbal is killing me!

PS: 11
VR: 6
BS: 11

I've been averaging 8-10s on verbal lately, got a few 11s. No idea how I got the 6. Anyone else paranoid that they may have to retake simply because of a low verbal score?

Yea I was shocked when I got a 6 on VR for my first AAMC. I'm also scared of retaking.

Anyways, would you guys still apply if you got like a 24 or a 25?

No, I would not. I would retake and make sure I get at least a 32 or 33 in order to answer any questions as to why I scored low in the first place.

But, fas, congrats on the 11's!

No, I would not. I would retake and make sure I get at least a 32 or 33 in order to answer any questions as to why I scored low in the first place.

But, fas, congrats on the 11's!

Thanks man.

And folktale - No, I wouldn't. I'm applying only MD, and since I only have a 3.65, I need to make sure I hit 30.

Although with my verbal score, who knows if I ever well :(

You guys are right to worry about verbal. I was originally from the 1/28 crew. I got a 30 but it was 8,11,11 (VR, PS, BS). Now I may retake with you guys for the sole reason of that 8.

Forthefuture - Ask around the WAMC, I heard some people got in with 8's. But their situation was vastly different than yours or mine, assuming you're a regular student.

Fas - your GPA is okay, i don't get it. Mine is around 3.7 (although I have no idea since my pharmacy program mixes professional courses with pre-med prerequisites...lowest GPA on record is 3.51, highest is 4.0) so you're just as good?

Forthefuture - Ask around the WAMC, I heard some people got in with 8's. But their situation was vastly different than yours or mine, assuming you're a regular student.

Fas - your GPA is okay, i don't get it. Mine is around 3.7 (although I have no idea since my pharmacy program mixes professional courses with pre-med prerequisites...lowest GPA on record is 3.51, highest is 4.0) so you're just as good?

Don't get me wrong, our 3.65-3.70 isn't bad, but the MSAR shows a median around 3.80 so we're still a little below :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel like I can nail 11-12 on bs and vr but would be lucky to get a 10 on ps..any advice to do well on this section? I know the content pretty well

Feel like I can nail 11-12 on bs and vr but would be lucky to get a 10 on ps..any advice to do well on this section? I know the content pretty well

For PS the best thing that improves your performance is doing many problems (passages & discretes). Unlike in verbal, your mistakes will show your specific weaknesses that you can work at. I did all problems for PS from TPR science workbook and it really helped me. I never got below 11 on AAMC PS.

You guys are right to worry about verbal. I was originally from the 1/28 crew. I got a 30 but it was 8,11,11 (VR, PS, BS). Now I may retake with you guys for the sole reason of that 8.

I also took the 1/28 test and I'm retaking for the same reason. Had to guess on the last 2 passages because I ran out of time and got 6 in VR. Did you finish on time? My PS was 12 (had to guess on the last 3 very easy calc. problems...) because on this section I also managed to get to the last passage before I saw 3 mins were left.

In BS got 11, just checked my excel records and I scored 13 in BS on aamc 10 and 11. I don't know what happened, and this was the only section where I had plenty of time left after I finished answering questions.

Good luck to you! I'll try to register for this date also if there're spots left.

Just took AAMC 7. I think I'm just gonna quit. No point of going forward

P6 V4 B5 = 15

Over the past 3 weeks or so:
AAMC 3= 16
AAMC 4= 24
AAMC 5= 18

EDIT: Damn, I was thinking I was having a crappy day, I go and check facebook after posting this post and I'm all sad and stuff from my low scores, and I see how my one friend from high school posted something about her mother's funeral arrangements. I'm never complaining about tests again, this is just a test.

Keep pushing! Its important that you identify what it is you're doing wrong. Remember, one you understand all of the information you have to apply it. Look back and see where you've specifically messed up and review those topics.

I know this is like, basic ish. But how much time do you guys plan on using for each passage? This is what I'm currently doing, but am considering changing:

Sciences: 9 mins/passage + 7 minutes for discretes.
Verbal: 9 mins for first 6 passages (and have 6 mins remaining for the last one.)

With the verbal, I usually don't need the whole 9mins for at least 1 or 2 passages and so I allot the extra time for the last passage (which adds on to the 6 set aside for it already). But this still makes me uneasy.

For the sciences, I save all 13 discretes for the end. Hopefully I have more than 7 minutes. But 7 minutes could be enough. Opinions?

I know this is like, basic ish. But how much time do you guys plan on using for each passage? This is what I'm currently doing, but am considering changing:

Verbal: 9 mins for first 6 passages (and have 6 mins remaining for the last one.)

With the verbal, I usually don't need the whole 9mins for at least 1 or 2 passages and so I allot the extra time for the last passage (which adds on to the 6 set aside for it already). But this still makes me uneasy.

For the sciences, I save all 13 discretes for the end. Hopefully I have more than 7 minutes. But 7 minutes could be enough. Opinions?
I think 9 mins is borderline. You're risking it. Practice at 7 or 8 mins because some passages will just take more time than others. If you give yourself the same amount of time for most passages, you might end up having <6 mins for the last one.

I aim for 7 minutes/passage for both sciences and verbal. It's tough but it really helps to make me read faster and get more out of it. It's important that you can do verbal fast during your practice because I keep hearing that the real MCAT has longer verbal passages.

Somehow I'm still stuck at 8, and even then I barely finish. This doesn't bode well for the real MCAT. I'm trying for 7 minutes, let's see how it works though...

I have yet to take:
AAMC5 (tomorrow)
AAMC7
AAMC8
AAMC9
AAMC10 (again)
AAMC11

Idk if I have time to take these tests before 16 days, that's 6 tests in 16 days...whoa...impossible I think.

Last edited:
Somehow I'm still stuck at 8, and even then I barely finish. This doesn't bode well for the real MCAT. I'm trying for 7 minutes, let's see how it works though...

I have yet to take:
AAMC5 (tomorrow)
AAMC7
AAMC8
AAMC9
AAMC10 (again)
AAMC11

Idk if I have time to take these tests before 16 days, that's 6 tests in 16 days...whoa...impossible I think.
why would you say it's impossible? I'm going to try to do aamc7-11 and 3 TBR cbt's before the 28th. Every other day or every 2 days is fine for FL's imo.

The thing is I have princeton review classes, so I have to cut those few days down. I also want to finish TBR before taking these tests, which is impossible as I'm on book 1 of Orgo (3rd chap), Physics and GChem 1st chap of 2nd book and I'd like to do some passages....lol ****. AND Verbal Practice is 100% necessary.

I'm extremely weak at genetics and optics.

Last edited:
so as I 'm doing BR and EK passages for BS and PS while I review, I keep missing 2 questions (6/8, 4/6, 5/7 etc.) It's like a stupid hump I can't get over. One question missed is "I should have" got right but misread, went too fast, etc. and the other miss will be because I just didn't know the answer or I narrowed down and picked the wrong one...What do you guys think?

If you're doing that well on TBR, you'll slaughter the actual MCAT.

I hope so! Would you guys say that the real MCAT has shifted more toward passages being more about experiments and extrapolating from that? I feel like I'm going to shift my focus toward these types of passages on BR

I hope so! Would you guys say that the real MCAT has shifted more toward passages being more about experiments and extrapolating from that? I feel like I'm going to shift my focus toward these types of passages on BR

i'd say so--on tpr science workbook there's lots of passages like this so i've been doing more of them

Are you all finishing up TBR? I decided I should do it, but during yesterday's exam I burned out hard because I was so sick of passages. Decided I'll be doing practice on the days I take exams, and then just review content on my days off.

Are you all finishing up TBR? I decided I should do it, but during yesterday's exam I burned out hard because I was so sick of passages. Decided I'll be doing practice on the days I take exams, and then just review content on my days off.

Yep definitely gonna try to finish up TBR passages. I've already completed phase 3 for chapters 1 2 and 3 for all 4 subjects. I'm also making a large outline of the bio section according to the AAMC content outline so I can really hammer in some important points and fill in gaps.

I'm on my own little schedule, doing 2 py/2 ch/ 2 bio a day

basically i do a quick review of a chapter then do the corresponding chapter passage (cherry picking passages that involve experiments).

I aim for 7 minutes/passage for both sciences and verbal. It's tough but it really helps to make me read faster and get more out of it. It's important that you can do verbal fast during your practice because I keep hearing that the real MCAT has longer verbal passages.

I wouldn't necessarily say its a lot longer. I think it's more of the fact that the font size is larger and it's much less space out. My passages seemed extremely long because of the screen format with a skinny column. So I had to scroll down a bunch. I finished all aamcs with 10 min on verbal. Real thing finished with 7 minutes left. Don't psyche yourselves out on verbal.

Just finished AAMC 5 and got: PS/VR/BS = 11/8/10

I felt like the passages on the VR on this one is longer than the previous AAMC (3 & 4). The first passage was the longest and I felt like I did terrible.

Edit: I'm just glad my science scores are the same throughout. It'd be better if I get a higher PS/BS score though.

Just finished AAMC 5 and got: PS/VR/BS = 11/8/10

I felt like the passages on the VR on this one is longer than the previous AAMC (3 & 4). The first passage was the longest and I felt like I did terrible.

Edit: I'm just glad my science scores are the same throughout. It'd be better if I get a higher PS/BS score though.

not bad :thumbup: I'll be taking AAMC 5 tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out :scared:

so as I 'm doing BR and EK passages for BS and PS while I review, I keep missing 2 questions (6/8, 4/6, 5/7 etc.) It's like a stupid hump I can't get over. One question missed is "I should have" got right but misread, went too fast, etc. and the other miss will be because I just didn't know the answer or I narrowed down and picked the wrong one...What do you guys think?

Hey man I'm experiencing the same thing. This is quite frustrating. For the areas that I don't have any weaknesses on, I ALWAYS miss a few questions due to various non-content related reasons. This consistently keeps me from going beyond 75% - 80% correct on the TBR practice passages. For the areas that I have weaknesses on, the number is worse due to content-related mistakes. I guess it's our innate error-making nature, similarly to the error rate of RNA polymerase, and may have something to do with statistics, such as I can only get 75% correct out of 100% questions for every attempt.

Guys, should I reschedule? My practice scores so far suck. :(

AAMC3: 29 (8/11/10)
AAMC4: 27 (8/9/10)
AAMC5: 27 (6/11/10)
AAMC7: 26 (7/9/10)

I'm the only person who could have a downward trend as I study more. Dafuqqqqq.

Nah, I would focus on PS since it seems to be your weak spot. You're fine. My AAMC 7 was also low compared to my others.

Nah, I would focus on PS since it seems to be your weak spot. You're fine. My AAMC 7 was also low compared to my others.

Yeah, AAMC 7 was a weird one. BS I thought I would have done worse on (Holy Organic!), on VR the passages felt extra long, and I honestly thought I did a good job on PS (lol).

Right now, my PS and BS scores are constant at 11/10 respectively. But my VR fluctuated from a 6, to a 9, then an 8. AAMC 7 is next and I hope it's not as challenging as you guys have said.

Talking about VR, do you guys use the mapping technique? Do you summarize each paragraph with like a few words? For me, I don't really write anything and that proved to be effective for me. I just remember what's going on in the passage, and I've learned to skim but not too fast. I also tend to refer back to passages as I answer the questions. Also, skimming and knowing the passage will help you know where to look for the answer. Just my two cents.

Edit: I've also haven't really reviewed anything outside the AAMC FLs in between each one. Have just been reading a lot of Scientific American articles and news articles online.

For me it's:

AAMC3: 27 (11/6/10)
AAMC4: 30 (11/9/10)
AAMC5: 29 (11/8/10)

We're almost on the same boat man. Are you planning on applying MD or both MD and DO or just DO?

EDIT: also been thinking a lot about whether to reschedule, but if I reschedule, I know my application wouldn't be verified until way after June 1 and I want to apply early and broadly. With my current scores, I am more than happy to apply, even to just mid-tier MDs and DO schools. 27 or higher would be good, but I'm aiming for a 33.

We have like a week to decide. It's tough but these AAMC results are keeping me going at least.

For me it's:

AAMC3: 27 (11/6/10)
AAMC4: 30 (11/9/10)
AAMC5: 29 (11/8/10)

We're almost on the same boat man. Are you planning on applying MD or both MD and DO or just DO?

EDIT: also been thinking a lot about whether to reschedule, but if I reschedule, I know my application wouldn't be verified until way after June 1 and I want to apply early and broadly. With my current scores, I am more than happy to apply, even to just mid-tier MDs and DO schools. 27 or higher would be good, but I'm aiming for a 33.

We have like a week to decide. It's tough but these AAMC results are keeping me going at least.

Kind of hesitant to reschedule for the same reason. I was gonna apply mostly MD with a few DO schools thrown in I think, but who really knows. My GPA's sitting at 3.80 but I clearly don't know anything, especially physics. haha.

Kind of hesitant to reschedule for the same reason. I was gonna apply mostly MD with a few DO schools thrown in I think, but who really knows. My GPA's sitting at 3.80 but I clearly don't know anything, especially physics. haha.

With a GPA like that, I wouldn't apply DO unless you actually want to. Your GPA is fine. I have a 3.65 and I'm only applying MD

With a GPA like that, I wouldn't apply DO unless you actually want to. Your GPA is fine. I have a 3.65 and I'm only applying MD

We have around the same GPA mate. I have cGPA 3.66 and sGPA 3.67

I'm kind of worried about the MCAT that's why I'm applying DO as well.

Alright, like TI; AAMC5 tomorrow. TI, since we're approx the same schedule, are you taking AAMC7 on Weds or Thurs? What's the schedule for you until exam?

Could I feasibly get into MD schools with like ~28-29 and 3.80? haha
I'm in a similar boat. Haven't broken a 30 yet after 3 aamc's. 3.8 gpa as well so I really wanna try to get into MD schools first (don't have anything against DO,just don't feel like having to go through 2 application processes). I'm just gonna study so hard in the next 3 weeks and give it my all. If I find out I don't do well (over 30) then I'll retake it maybe july or even august(?). Because one of two things can happen- we get <30 or >30. Goodluck!