The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. A lot of people that don't take it under test conditions end up freaking out during the actual exam because they're not used to it. Personally, I always click on the "simulate actual test" button. It's been helping me calm my nerves (I don't freak out about time anymore)

I agree. The whole point of taking the practice tests is to simulate the actual thing in my opinion. Don't divide it up. If you're going to divide it up, it's going to be like just a regular practice passage sets from one of the review books.

I've also gotten used to the timing. I am able to tell if I'm lagging or if I'm on track after every passage. On VR, I usually end up having like 24 minutes for three passages left, and I tend to do alright. My VR scores are still pretty low though, so I'm trying to raise that up. My VR so far are 6, 9, 8, and 7. That's an average of 7.5

Just took AAMC 8 and got a 19 :(

I felt that the physical was the toughest.. either way embarrassingly it is my 2nd highest score ever (behind a 24).

P6 V6 B7

I just want to get a 27 on my actual and go to a DO school, so far this seems impossible :(

I'll keep on studying my butt off until the 28th and I'll leave the rest in god's hands.

Yea man, keep at it. Keep on grinding. Two weeks is still a lot of time. I usually pray as well everytime I'm about to start the test. I also pray before I start each section.

I agree. The whole point of taking the practice tests is to simulate the actual thing in my opinion. Don't divide it up. If you're going to divide it up, it's going to be like just a regular practice passage sets from one of the review books.

I've also gotten used to the timing. I am able to tell if I'm lagging or if I'm on track after every passage. On VR, I usually end up having like 24 minutes for three passages left, and I tend to do alright. My VR scores are still pretty low though, so I'm trying to raise that up. My VR so far are 6, 9, 8, and 7. That's an average of 7.5

My verbal scores are low as well, but the timing is definitely helping me from going blank. When I took my first AAMC, if I saw a passage that I was confused about, I would start stressing out and it would screw me over. After taking 4-5 AAMCs, I know how the test makers think. They make everything look super confusing (wait until you get to the MRI passage in AAMC 8) but the answers are simple and just hidden between all the jargon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I've taken 5 AAMCs now. I have not seen a single problem regarding solids. I actually skipped over that section. Has anyone else noticed this?

Even the fluid questions are only about Archimedes, nothing else.

My verbal scores are low as well, but the timing is definitely helping me from going blank. When I took my first AAMC, if I saw a passage that I was confused about, I would start stressing out and it would screw me over. After taking 4-5 AAMCs, I know how the test makers think. They make everything look super confusing (wait until you get to the MRI passage in AAMC 8) but the answers are simple and just hidden between all the jargon.

Yea, I noticed the science passages aren't really that bad. Science passages in the AAMC seems like they give you all you need regarding equations and what not. You definitely have to know some of the general equations, but in general, they give you the more complex equations. I also noticed that half of the questions I can usually answer just by looking at figures and equations and using bg knowledge, and others are just hidden in the passage. Most calculations are also simple. You just have to calm down and not freak out and do some stoich most of the time.

And for VR, I usually feel like I'm picking the wrong answer most of the time, but end up getting 25/40 on average right. Getting the main idea is really important, and what's the attitude of the author on that idea. I still tend to look back to the passages for some answers though.

EDIT: by the way, there was that one passage in PS in AAMC7 that felt like it was a VR passage lol.

Yea, I noticed the science passages aren't really that bad. Science passages in the AAMC seems like they give you all you need regarding equations and what not. You definitely have to know some of the general equations, but in general, they give you the more complex equations. I also noticed that half of the questions I can usually answer just by looking at figures and equations and using bg knowledge, and others are just hidden in the passage. Most calculations are also simple. You just have to calm down and not freak out and do some stoich most of the time.

And for VR, I usually feel like I'm picking the wrong answer most of the time, but end up getting 25/40 on average right. Getting the main idea is really important, and what's the attitude of the author on that idea. I still tend to look back to the passages for some answers though.

EDIT: by the way, there was that one passage in PS in AAMC7 that felt like it was a VR passage lol.

Same, no matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll ever be able to do questions without looking back at the passages.

I'm having such a hard time teaching myself physics. My professors at school for physics have made getting good grades easy, but I haven't learned anything. Every time I do practice problems, I get frustrated and depressed haha. Anyone else on the PS struggle bus or have tips on improving physics in particular? :(

I'm having such a hard time teaching myself physics. My professors at school for physics have made getting good grades easy, but I haven't learned anything. Every time I do practice problems, I get frustrated and depressed haha. Anyone else on the PS struggle bus or have tips on improving physics in particular? :(

Based on the practice tests I've done, it's not physics heavy at all. I've done physics AAMC passages where 6/6 questions were based on the passage, meaning outside content knowledge didn't help me at all. So don't worry, keep studying and do the best you can :D

Took the day off work to take AAMC 9 (and sleep late)
13/13/13!!!
Dear flying spaghetti monster please let my real exam be just like that one. Almost wish I were taking it tomorrow .. . perhaps it's time for an afternoon/evening off :)

Took the day off work to take AAMC 9 (and sleep late)
13/13/13!!!
Dear flying spaghetti monster please let my real exam be just like that one. Almost wish I were taking it tomorrow .. . perhaps it's time for an afternoon/evening off :)

Holy smoke !!!! Congrats !!! How about other FLs ? Did you score close to this one ?

I guess they're close- my best was aamc4 but I think that it was just really lucky/perfectly in sync with my strengths

AAMC4: 14/15/13
AAMC5: 10/12/12
AAMC7: 13/14/11
AAMC8: 12/11/13
AAMC9: 13/13/13

Pretty good variation in all sections, which makes me nervous- all I can say is that MCAT verbal is bull and a very poor metric of ability. Mistakes in the sciences are due to my being weak in particular content but I haven't done any verbal prep and it's supposedly always testing the same skill, so an 11-15 range just tells me that the test is poorly written.

I guess they're close- my best was aamc4 but I think that it was just really lucky/perfectly in sync with my strengths

Pretty good variation in all sections, which makes me nervous- all I can say is that MCAT verbal is bull and a very poor metric of ability. Mistakes in the sciences are due to my being weak in particular content but I haven't done any verbal prep and it's supposedly always testing the same skill, so an 11-15 range just tells me that the test is poorly written.

wtf. this is a strictly <35 thread. you're making us look bad. GET OUT

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha- sorry- does it help that my undergrad gpa is a 3.2?

Haha nah man, I would never wish ill on anyone. I'm just messin around. It's just most of us have been in the high 20s/low 30s range and your score just blew us away.

Keep it up though mate :D

:eek: You got 14 and 15 on Verbal ???? You're not even human lol. I've skimmed through previous threads. Even though the tests were hard for them, it still turned out that majority of them got their actual score quite close to their AAMC practice average. Hence I think you'll well thrive on this test.

Just finished AAMC 7. 10/8/11
Still haven't broken a 30 :( Need to improve drastically in the next two weeks.
Who else thought there were a bunch of WTF passages in every section in this test??
Sheesh.

Who else thought there were a bunch of WTF passages in every section in this test??
Sheesh.

You're close! You can definitely improve 1 point in 2 weeks. Probably more than just 1 point, really :)

Sheesh.

We're like on the same boat. I've only broken 30 once, and been averaging around 29. Verbal is holding me back. But I guess being ESL can help me.

Sheesh.

AAMC7? I feel you on Verbal. I feel you on Bio. There were WTF Bio passages, the one earthquake physics, verbal is verbal.

....DAFUQ???

WHAT IS THIS

AAMC7? I feel you on Verbal. I feel you on Bio. There were WTF Bio passages, the one earthquake physics, verbal is verbal.

....DAFUQ???

WHAT IS THIS

I actually manage to get all the questions for the Earthquake passage right, except for 1. XP

That one felt more like a VR passage than a PS one.

I had to sit and try to comprehend that nematode bio passage and kept going back and forth. Lol. The orgo wasn't too bad but there were a lot this time.
Couldn't read through the earthquake passage. Just made my best guesses lol.
And WTF was with that verbal passage that was some sort of poem-ish type? Omg. Jeez, I probably kept rereading that one!

We're like on the same boat. I've only broken 30 once, and been averaging around 29. Verbal is holding me back. But I guess being ESL can help me.
I think my biggest thing is actually comprehending wth these authors are tryna say. The questions, aren't too bad, but where do they get these passages?

I think my biggest thing is actually comprehending wth these authors are tryna say. The questions, aren't too bad, but where do they get these passages?

They basically get a humanities/social sciences article, and then delete random sentences from the article. After this is done, they have an automated word shuffler. What this does is places random words at random locations throughout the passage. Lastly, they have this "sentence shuffler" program where Google will randomly pick out sentences from its billions of entries and place a random one in the passage.

For example. You're reading a simple paragraph about the natural habit of elephants. Google's "sentence shuffler" program will decide hey, why don't we go ahead and toss in some greek mythology and roman history into this passage about elephants.

AAMC 7 tomorrow...wish me luck. I didn't get jack **** done today after taking my exam for school...so I figure why waste my time trying to review when I'm not being productive? Gonna take this test tomorrow. If I do good, great! If I do bad, serves me right for wasting time today.

also

The test isn't poorly written, you're just smart as ****

AAMC 7 tomorrow...wish me luck. I didn't get jack **** done today after taking my exam for school...so I figure why waste my time trying to review when I'm not being productive? Gonna take this test tomorrow. If I do good, great! If I do bad, serves me right for wasting time today.

also

The test isn't poorly written, you're just smart as ****

gl i was gonna take aamc 5 now....proceeded to take it looked at the first question and realized i need to sleep lol closed it gonna try and sleep and wake up and actually take this test at the correct time...

same i didn't get **** done today or yesterday

Took AAMC #7...11, 9, 11. Damn you Verbal!!!!

Reviewing weaknesses today and tomorrow and then AAMC #10 on Sunday.

Wow your scores are unbelievable! How have you been studying? What are your tactics?? Those were the scores I was aiming for starting out, well, a 39 was my magic number, but now it's looking kind of out of reach. I did the sn2ed 3 month plan. My scores so far:

AAMC 3 - 31
AAMC 4 - 34
AAMC 5 - 34

I'm still struggling with speed, AAMC 3 I didn't even get to the last 2 passages for PS and for verbal. I'm better now but still struggling a lot, rushing myself majorly. I am contemplating pushing back to 5/12 since I do really really want to get my 39 or at least know that I've done all I can. I def feel that I can do better if I just have more time to practice and get these concepts down to the point that I don't have to waste time figuring it out during the exam. It hasn't really been the problem of me not understanding the concepts (except physics) but more timing.

Any opinions? Today's the last day to reschedule!

Hey MzAries- my study schedule has been somewhat non-trad because I'm a non-trad and did the last of my mcat course work in 2003. I spent the fall reading TBR chem occasionally and taking some notes, but no practice problems or anything, just to remember some of the basics. I did the same for physics with my college textbook and the aamc subject list. I TAed intro bio as a grad student, so some of the material was fairly fresh, and I have a lot of practice interpreting experimental data. My real prep started in January and I decided to stick to the examkrakers series because I work full time and wanted really efficient content review. I would read an EK chapter, take notes, do 1/3 of the corresponding 1001 problems, and then take the 30 min exam. I went through all of the content this way and finished everything except o-chem maybe 3 weeks ago. Since then it's just been AAMC full lengths and TPR Science Workbook problems (that thing is awesome! bought it on here, totally worth it). I picked up TBR intending to do some chem passages and honestly struggled with them and found them really convoluted, so I dropped it. Dunno- only other thing I can think of is that I've been listening to EK audio osmosis at work a lot (I work in a lab) so a lot of the major themes/concepts have really been drilled in. I struggle with timing on PS too, and looking back at the record of time used/problem, I realized it's freaking division that slows me down so much! I now put everything into scientific notation, even super basic calculations, and that saves me a ton of time/aggravation. Also, I read on one of the topic review threads on here that reading PS passages is a waste of time. Obviously this is passage dependent (stupid earthquakes!) but if it's relatively short with figures I read the questions first. Often half of them are discretes in the guise of passage based qs. That's about all I've got- for me it was really about re-learning all of the content- no secret passage strategy or anything.

PS- you can definitely still add a few points- review those score reports carefully and see what types of problems you need to practice. EK1001 is really good for speeding up physics because once you get what the passage question is asking most of the calculations are very similar to the EKs.

Hey MzAries- my study schedule has been somewhat non-trad because I'm a non-trad and did the last of my mcat course work in 2003. I spent the fall reading TBR chem occasionally and taking some notes, but no practice problems or anything, just to remember some of the basics. I did the same for physics with my college textbook and the aamc subject list. I TAed intro bio as a grad student, so some of the material was fairly fresh, and I have a lot of practice interpreting experimental data. My real prep started in January and I decided to stick to the examkrakers series because I work full time and wanted really efficient content review. I would read an EK chapter, take notes, do 1/3 of the corresponding 1001 problems, and then take the 30 min exam. I went through all of the content this way and finished everything except o-chem maybe 3 weeks ago. Since then it's just been AAMC full lengths and TPR Science Workbook problems (that thing is awesome! bought it on here, totally worth it). I picked up TBR intending to do some chem passages and honestly struggled with them and found them really convoluted, so I dropped it. Dunno- only other thing I can think of is that I've been listening to EK audio osmosis at work a lot (I work in a lab) so a lot of the major themes/concepts have really been drilled in. I struggle with timing on PS too, and looking back at the record of time used/problem, I realized it's freaking division that slows me down so much! I now put everything into scientific notation, even super basic calculations, and that saves me a ton of time/aggravation. Also, I read on one of the topic review threads on here that reading PS passages is a waste of time. Obviously this is passage dependent (stupid earthquakes!) but if it's relatively short with figures I read the questions first. Often half of them are discretes in the guise of passage based qs. That's about all I've got- for me it was really about re-learning all of the content- no secret passage strategy or anything.

PS- you can definitely still add a few points- review those score reports carefully and see what types of problems you need to practice. EK1001 is really good for speeding up physics because once you get what the passage question is asking most of the calculations are very similar to the EKs.

How do you tackle VR ? A 15 in VR is unbelievably uncanny !

I'm also nontrad and just finished a post-bac program last semester. However, I guess I didn't retain that much information from the sciences I took over the past 2-3 years. I started my study schedule at the end of January while working and doing research/volunteer but I just quit my job a week ago and now will be completely focused on the MCAT, minus some research. Anyway, I feel that the content review was good and I did well on TBR problems during the review. However once I finished the content I realized that I forgot some stuff along the way. Thanks for the advice though and at this point I'm leaning towards rescheduling the exam. Why not allow myself to reach full potential, right? I know I can do better than this!

holy ****...Just finished AAMC 7...what the **** was that? 11/7/11 PS/VR/BS

lDVCl.png

PS: Wasn't that bad honestly, the earthquake passage was a little daunting but nothing out of hand, I was 1 question away from a 12 =/

verbal: I was just like wtf am i doing??!?!?!

bio: My thoughts the entire time: ummmmm WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!??!!?!

Now I have to waste the next 4 hours attending a mandatory meeting for this ridiculous class I'm taking. **** I need to step up my game I'm really disappointing in myself right now

Edit: I wanna play the blame game so for my verbal I blame the Internet which randomly disconnected 4 times and the obnoxious "bros" outside the library making very loud dinosaur like screeches for a good 20 minutes.

Last edited:

lDVCl.png

PS: Wasn't that bad honestly, the earthquake passage was a little daunting but nothing out of hand, I was 1 question away from a 12 =/

Now I have to waste the next 4 hours attending a mandatory meeting for this ridiculous class I'm taking. **** I need to step up my game I'm really disappointing in myself right now

Edit: I wanna play the blame game so for my verbal I blame the Internet which randomly disconnected 4 times and the obnoxious "bros" outside the library making very loud dinosaur like screeches for a good 20 minutes.

Holy crud, we have the same stats for that one! Duude remember the nature passage on VR? I thought that was going to be a piece of cake, but I missed 4/5 on that! Woow.

I'm getting so frustrated with studying. My scores are all over the place. I've taken 5 kaplans (34,34,33,40,33) going to take 3 AAMC next now that I know my weak spots to study.

So far my verbal has been everywhere... 11,11,9,12,9... I've just come to accept the fact that my VR score will be a crap shoot. Sometimes I get the passages, and sometimes I don't...

PS and BS have been consistent. I'm so sick of this. Just two more weeks.

YEP. THAT'S THE SAME FEELING I HAD. HOLY **** AT VERBAL.

Verbal was so long, I don't even understand. And the AAMC is supposedly longer?! HUH?! ****!

And yeah, PS, holy **** at PS. WOW.

It's good experience though, because the testing center may be kind of like this.

I'm getting so frustrated with studying. My scores are all over the place. I've taken 5 kaplans (34,34,33,40,33) going to take 3 AAMC next now that I know my weak spots to study.

You're going to do really well if your Kaplan is 30's.

So far my verbal has been everywhere... 11,11,9,12,9... I've just come to accept the fact that my VR score will be a crap shoot. Sometimes I get the passages, and sometimes I don't...

Same here, except is mine is inbetween 10 and 9.

AAMC8 tomorrow. I'm already burned out, I give up, etc. After ****ted on by AAMC7, I didn't study or do much today but some TBR and TPR, did like 3 passages in my Workbook and gave up when I got raped by Physics passage 46. So let's see how I do blindly tomorrow.

I did get a 10/17 and then whatever score to get 30/40 on EK10, so I feel somewhat happy.

AAMC8 tomorrow. I'm already burned out, I give up, etc. After ****ted on by AAMC7, I didn't study or do much today but some TBR and TPR, did like 3 passages in my Workbook and gave up when I got raped by Physics passage 46. So let's see how I do blindly tomorrow.

I did get a 10/17 and then whatever score to get 30/40 on EK10, so I feel somewhat happy.

ooo jeez good luck! I just finished reviewing my AAMC 7 PS and BS. Now time to review verbal.... Then I'll be hitting my weak spots tomorrow followed by aamc 8 on sunday!

Hey guys I've noticed on the past aamc i just took they gave the values for sin30° and cos30° and such, so i didn't have to worry when i did my calculations. I had always thought I had to memorize it (I think Tbr has a table on it) so I even made a notecard just for cos/sin/tan values of 0°,30°,45°,60°,and 90°. But obv didn't need it for the aamc i took, so does that mean we don't actually have to memorize those values? If not, that's one notecard I can put aside =)

ooo jeez good luck! I just finished reviewing my AAMC 7 PS and BS. Now time to review verbal.... Then I'll be hitting my weak spots tomorrow followed by aamc 8 on sunday!

Oh wow we're on the same schedule!

what was your composite?

12 8 12
ps: thought minimum i was getting was 12 but made like 3 STUPID mistakes
VERBAL: thought i was getting an 11 turns out if i only missed one on the picasso passage im at an 11
bs: uhhhhhhhh wtf was that protozoa passage thought i was going to get an 11 or above

****ING BULL****TT...ive never gotten below a 9

missed the all but one of the picasso passage questions going to retake the verbal (haven't looked at the answers yet)

will get back to you

taking AAMC 5 tomorrow, really want to get into range for my target score.

gl what you aiming for?

12 8 12
ps: thought minimum i was getting was 12 but made like 3 STUPID mistakes
VERBAL: thought i was getting an 11 turns out if i only missed one on the picasso passage im at an 11
bs: uhhhhhhhh wtf was that protozoa passage thought i was going to get an 11 or above

****ING BULL****TT...ive never gotten below a 9

missed the all but one of the picasso passage questions going to retake the verbal (haven't looked at the answers yet)

will get back to you

gl what you aiming for?

yeah I'm re taking my AAMC 7 verbal tomorrow. 7 isn't normal for me...

yeah I'm re taking my AAMC 7 verbal tomorrow. 7 isn't normal for me...

its super annoying i average an 11 on EK 101 and 10s on princeton review

i saw the 8 and i didn't believe it until i saw the Picasso passage which i thought i destroyed

SMH

its super annoying i average an 11 on EK 101 and 10s on princeton review

i saw the 8 and i didn't believe it until i saw the Picasso passage which i thought i destroyed

SMH

yeah I did well on AAMC 5 verbal with an 11 but AAMC 7 not so much...and to add insult to injury, my roommate who has no intention of going to med school was talking to me today about my MCAT studying etc and he's like..."yeah I took the AAMC 3 practice test over winter break just for the hell of it" so I asked him what he got and he goes "I got a 38.." Keep in mind that we are in our 3rd year of college and he hasn't taken college bio because he AP'ed out. Took physics and chem during freshman year, and took orgo last year. I told him to get out of the room because he's sleeping on the couch :laugh:

yeah I did well on AAMC 5 verbal with an 11 but AAMC 7 not so much...and to add insult to injury, my roommate who has no intention of going to med school was talking to me today about my MCAT studying etc and he's like..."yeah I took the AAMC 3 practice test over winter break just for the hell of it" so I asked him what he got and he goes "I got a 38.." Keep in mind that we are in our 3rd year of college and he hasn't taken college bio because he AP'ed out. Took physics and chem during freshman year, and took orgo last year. I told him to get out of the room because he's sleeping on the couch :laugh:

lol i wish i had taken this test when all that info was fresh in my head....the sad part for me is i spent 85% of my time teaching myself physics from scratch

thanks! Honestly trying to break 30, though I'm shooting for a 10/12/11-12 ideally

you got this sonnn

on another note just finished my retake of verbal this is how i feel right now

:uhno: :smuggrin: +pity+ :diebanana: +pissed+ :bang: :annoyed: -_-

NMJZ7.png

going to bed night reviewing aamc 5 tomorrow...FML

Last edited:
I did my first full-length last night, AAMC5, and got only 30 (10/8/12). Kinda frustrated cos I didn't expect a CBT format would screw me this much. I missed 1 easy question on the PS just because I didn't scroll all the way down. The timing format was quite hard for me to trace the time, and I ended up running out of time on PS and had to rush. Verbal was a disaster cos I was extremely burned down and had to guess randomly on the first 3 passages. I haven't reviewed the test yet. I'm super depressed right now. Can I improve to a 34 just in 2 weeks ???

I thought 5 was pretty hard, and it takes a few tests to really get used to the CBT- if you had done 6 tests and were looking for 4 points in 2 weeks, I'd say it's a stretch, but given that this is your first, I'd say you're still on that steeper part of the learning curve and should try another aamc or two and see how they go.