The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I can't focus at all- was going to try and cram some orgo and do a practice problem from each EK1001 section- instead I had a beer with dinner and am done for the night. whoops. Have to work all day tomorrow so I guess that's it for studying. Getting pretty nervous again.

I'm gonna start it in about half an hour, gonna get some food first. All I'm gonna do tomorrow is review AAMC 10 and relax.

Good luck!!!!! I think I honestly had 24 minutes left when I finished bio. Not sure if easier, or if I just didn't care.

I can't focus at all- was going to try and cram some orgo and do a practice problem from each EK1001 section- instead I had a beer with dinner and am done for the night. whoops. Have to work all day tomorrow so I guess that's it for studying. Getting pretty nervous again.

I think everyone should just relax. Anxiety is the enemy of a score at or above your practice average. I'm sure everyone here has a solid foundation. You're all totally capable of rocking this test.

Members don't see this ad :)
So iv been lurking in here for awhile and decided to finally post something. I'm taking the test Saturday also...SO NERVOUS. I took it last June and I KNEW I wasn't ready for it. I was scoring 24-25 on practice tests with 6-7 in PS and 10 average in verbals. The highest I had gotten on a PS section was an 8 the day before the test. I got my results back and got a 9/5/9 which completely crushed me being that I was scoring 10s on practice verbal sections. But my PS went up so here's to hoping I have the same luck this time.

My real reason for posting was to tell everyone who's freaking about the writing section not to worry. I read through kaplan's writing and verbal book and followed their guidelines for writing. I had never written anything for the writing section and didn't practice or look anything up for writing cuz I was more focused on PS and I ended up with an R on the writing sample. My prompts were relatively easy and I just thought up examples real quick and went with it. Don't stress about the writing sample. If you have a brain and have ever read a book in your life you'll do fine

It is almost done. Our misery is going to end momentarily in a couple days. Oh, but then post-test anxiety sets in.

It is almost done. Our misery is going to end momentarily in a couple days. Oh, but then post-test anxiety sets in.

Post anxiety? N*gga puhhhlease. I would take that over this crap I'm going through now. If I actually submit my score I will be OH SO VERY relieved. And post-test anxiety will be virtually non existent. I will surely make the most out of that month. Here's to hoping I submit! :rolleyes:

Speaking of submitting or not submitting. I know 3 people who tested on the same day last year and almost voided because their PS was so horrible

2 of them for 13 and the other got a 12 on PS all three 32+

No one thinks they did good when they finish. Everyone considers voiding somewhere in their mind

Speaking of submitting or not submitting. I know 3 people who tested on the same day last year and almost voided because their PS was so horrible

2 of them for 13 and the other got a 12 on PS all three 32+

No one thinks they did good when they finish. Everyone considers voiding somewhere in their mind

I agree. I'm not voiding. I've taken practice AAMCs where I thought I would get an 8-9 on the PS, and ended up with a 13. I've also taken some where I thought I'll score a 12, and ended up with an 8. There's just no way to tell

I agree. I'm not voiding. I've taken practice AAMCs where I thought I would get an 8-9 on the PS, and ended up with a 13. I've also taken some where I thought I'll score a 12, and ended up with an 8. There's just no way to tell

Well it's easy to get caught up in a passage or hung up on a few questions and before you know it you have 3 passages left with ten minutes. Time can really make it or break it for me at least. It's better to keep a fast pace and be unsure about some answers than to be slow and precise but have to end up really rushing end passages or even guessing. If I find myself guessing on more than a few I'll seriously consider voiding.

Exactly. I would have been happy with a 4 on PS the first time I took it thats how long ad I thought it was. I landed a 9 which isn't great but it's 5 points higher than I thought I had a chance of getting...oh that reminds me. When I took it last year I gave this advice to my fried who was taking it after me and he didn't listen and it bit him in the ass...so here goes. THERE WILL PROBABLY BE A PASSAGE IN PS THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL LIKE COMPLETELY OUT THERE CRAZY TALK TYPE PASSAGE...do not spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what's going on. I wasted SO MUCH TIME on one passage last time it killed me. My friend Christmas treed the last passage and last discrete because it happened to him too. Make sure u pace yourself. My passage was dead smack in the middle of my physical sciences section also

Do they still do the one experimental passage per mcat that doesn't count for anything but you dont know which passage it is? I know they were doing it last year

I've been trying to stay calm and relaxed but looks like it's impossible to do that when the clock keeps ticking and the day keeps passing. I used to take a similarly big exam when I was younger (~ maybe 8 years ago), and the few days before the exam I felt exactly the same as right now. Crazy feeling. Though, the difference is if I failed on that exam, I would be toast for good, whereas if I do poorly on MCAT, I can still re-take or change my career choice. Just some feeling to share.

God damn....I just finished the PS section of AAMC 10...pfaction you lying son of a bitch! That thing was hard lol...not as hard as aamc 11 but damn...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha stay calm and dont stress. Of course that's easier said than done. First time I took it I was crying in the parking lot at the testing center and hyperventilating right before I walked in.

I've been trying to stay calm and relaxed but looks like it's impossible to do that when the clock keeps ticking and the day keeps passing. I used to take a similarly big exam when I was younger (~ maybe 8 years ago), and the few days before the exam I felt exactly the same as right now. Crazy feeling. Though, the difference is if I failed on that exam, I would be toast for good, whereas if I do poorly on MCAT, I can still re-take or change my career choice. Just some feeling to share.

:thumbup:

So close.........

This is going to sound really stupid, but I have been so focused on MCAT I completely forgot about applying. I need 2 more LORs.

CRAP

Exactly. I would have been happy with a 4 on PS the first time I took it thats how long ad I thought it was. I landed a 9 which isn't great but it's 5 points higher than I thought I had a chance of getting...oh that reminds me. When I took it last year I gave this advice to my fried who was taking it after me and he didn't listen and it bit him in the ass...so here goes. THERE WILL PROBABLY BE A PASSAGE IN PS THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL LIKE COMPLETELY OUT THERE CRAZY TALK TYPE PASSAGE...do not spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what's going on. I wasted SO MUCH TIME on one passage last time it killed me. My friend Christmas treed the last passage and last discrete because it happened to him too. Make sure u pace yourself. My passage was dead smack in the middle of my physical sciences section also

Do they still do the one experimental passage per mcat that doesn't count for anything but you dont know which passage it is? I know they were doing it last year

Yeah they still do one experimental passage.

And I know what you're talking about. One of the AAMCs had some crazy ass particle accelerator passage that I didn't understand. When I was reviewing, it took me 20 minutes to figure out wtf was actually going on.

Also, your name is caitlin. are you a chick? we don't get many chicks around these forums. lemme hollar

So close.........

This is going to sound really stupid, but I have been so focused on MCAT I completely forgot about applying. I need 2 more LORs.

CRAP

Apply in Texas. They only want you to submit 2 LORs (submitting more actually looks bad) :D

So close.........

CRAP

I feel your pain. I still need one more. I'll get it after the mcat but it may end up being useless. I have this intense feeling of impending doom.

I hate my brains complete failure to accept anything related to organic chemistry. I could get a 15 in bio if there was no such thing as organic. Bio is pretty much the only thing I never worry about. Everytime I click next on the BS section my brain screams " please not organic please not organic please not organic" fortunately I'm not as orgo ******ed as I was last time.

I'm doing the EK ORGO flash cards now. Did anyone use them/find them helpful? I know I need to memorize where the different spec peaks are

And yes. I'm a chick lol

Yeah they still do one experimental passage.

And I know what you're talking about. One of the AAMCs had some crazy ass particle accelerator passage that I didn't understand. When I was reviewing, it took me 20 minutes to figure out wtf was actually going on.

Also, your name is caitlin. are you a chick? we don't get many chicks around these forums. lemme hollar

I know which passage your talking about. I was sure I tanked on that passage and I got every question right even tho I had no idea what the hell was happening.

Also I heard it was hard to get in if your out of state in Texas. Thank god Florida has 7 medical schools not including DO. If I don't completely tank on Saturday I may have a chance somewhere in this hell of a state

Just got a 32/40 on EK14, **** YEAH! Should've been a 34 but whatever, I broke a 30. P U M P E D! Getting around 6/8 on GChem, but failing hard in physics: I got a 2/6 and a 1/6 at one point, wtf. I'm doing every three passage per section through the books. Did a few Bio today as well.

God damn....I just finished the PS section of AAMC 10...pfaction you lying son of a bitch! That thing was hard lol...not as hard as aamc 11 but damn...

Huh? I thought it was ridiculously easy, well not the Verbal: Wait till you get to bio, that's cruise st.

Apply in Texas. They only want you to submit 2 LORs (submitting more actually looks bad) :D

I will do this haha.

Do you apply to the individual schools separately since they aren't apart of the AAMC applications?

I will do this haha.

Do you apply to the individual schools separately since they aren't apart of the AAMC applications?

Actually, I was kidding - just implying that it's not as strict over here. Almost all of them accept 95% in state applicants

I am told the day before the MCAT we are supposed to "rest" or "take it easy."

These words have no meaning to me. Could someone please explain...

**** that, I'm not taking it easy. I'm continuing to do passages and a verbal--but I'm signing off for the night sharp 9-9:30.

I know which passage your talking about. I was sure I tanked on that passage and I got every question right even tho I had no idea what the hell was happening.

Also I heard it was hard to get in if your out of state in Texas. Thank god Florida has 7 medical schools not including DO. If I don't completely tank on Saturday I may have a chance somewhere in this hell of a state

CA has about the same number of med schools as FL and there are about 4 within commutable distances of where I live, but it's almost impossible to get in med schools here.

So close.........
CRAP

No worries. You still have a whole month of May to take care of it. I haven't asked for any LORs yet. I have been so focusing on MCAT too that I don't have any mood to pay attention to those.

I got my 10-12 LOR's in by February, just delivering the one from the hospital and community pharmacy site I was at. Adoring letters of patient interaction and medical knowledge sent to schools, yes please.

CA has about the same number of med schools as FL and there are about 4 within commutable distances of where I live, but it's almost impossible to get in med schools

Its not easy in Florida either but it's probably a hell of a lot easier than California. UF and Miami are hard and FSU is a gpa focused school their avg mcat is like a 29. We have some crappy schools that aren't IMPOSSIBLE

Huh? I thought it was ridiculously easy, well not the Verbal: Wait till you get to bio, that's cruise st.

Yeah but when you took it the first time you got a 29, and only after the second time did you do well. There's definitely an advantage to taking it a second time, even if you weren't consciously aware of it.

Also, just finished verbal..kept a good pace until halfway through the last passage...had to guess on the very last 2 questions >_<

Yeah but when you took it the first time you got a 29, and only after the second time did you do well, there's definitely an advantage to taking it a second time, even if you weren't consciously aware of it.

I mean even then, I was zoned out of my mind with a migraine...7 on Verbal, 9 on PS, 13 on BS. Gotta do better than that bro!

I am told the day before the MCAT we are supposed to "rest" or "take it easy."

These words have no meaning to me. Could someone please explain...

what the....naw man...i think ill be more comforted studying than actually "taking it easy":confused::confused::eek:

I'm not going to worry about the applications until after the MCAT. I already know who to ask though so that's not a prob. Just have to re-work my personal statement, fill in my transcripts, and send the transcripts. Any of you guys doing committee letters? My school is supposed to have one, but it's too disorganized. The head does not even know how AMCAS works.

CA has about the same number of med schools as FL and there are about 4 within commutable distances of where I live, but it's almost impossible to get in med schools

Its not easy in Florida either but it's probably a hell of a lot easier than California. UF and Miami are hard and FSU is a gpa focused school their avg mcat is like a 29. We have some crappy schools that aren't IMPOSSIBLE

So Florida is hard? I wanna apply OSS to FAU I am from NJ. DO they even accept OSS lol. Thats my dream school I love BOCA

You have to comm letter or you may as well not apply with the red flag on your application.

The committee is basically non-existent. One of my colleagues last year tried using it, but the head failed to do a cover letter and ended up sending the letters individually.

Edit: He even forgot to do a committee interview. That's not really a committee right there. I know the head really well, had him for a bunch of classes, including senior seminar, orgo, and biochem, but he's just too ignorant on med-school application. I think it's safe to say that my uni really don't have one. Just a professor pretending to have one.

Last edited:
So Florida is hard? I wanna apply OSS to FAU I am from NJ. DO they even accept OSS lol. Thats my dream school I love BOCA

You must be joking. YOU LOVE BOCA? Do you like nursing homes? Boca is a nursing home! Lol. I work in boca and I graduated from fau in December lol. Fau just started their med school last year. They used to be joined with UM but they parted and started their own school. I know because they're a new school they're filtering out anyone with under a 3.5 and like a 28. I think they're average for their entering class was a 29 or that's what someone told me. I'm not sure if they take out of state. I'm sure they would take a couple but being that you'll be applying in their third year if you apply this cycle it may be difficult. I know their teachers are awesome. My favorite teacher ever at that school is part of the med school now. I would apply and try but keep in mind they won't be accredited till your second year. I don't think they'll have an issue tho they've been established with UM for long enough to know how it works

The committee is basically non-existent. One of my colleagues last year tried using it, but the head failed to do a cover letter and ended up sending the letters individually.

Edit: He even forgot to do a committee interview. That's not really a committee right there. I know the head really well, had him for a bunch of classes, including senior seminar, orgo, and biochem, but he's just too ignorant on med-school application. I think it's safe to say that my uni really don't have one. Just a professor pretending to have one.

I graduated in decmeber and my advisor told me I'm gunna have an issue getting a comittee letter because I'm not technically going to school there anymore. I'm freaking out about that.
I know every school in Boston requires you have a committee letter or a reasonable explanation why you don't have one if your school offers it x__x

I graduated in decmeber and my advisor told me I'm gunna have an issue getting a comittee letter because I'm not technically going to school there anymore. I'm freaking out about that.
I know every school in Boston requires you have a committee letter or a reasonable explanation why you don't have one if your school offers it x__x

Yea, it's either a comm letter or a great explanation. I have my explanation for not using it. My school just technically have a non-functioning committee. My friend that applied to med school last year tried using it but in the end, ended up sending the letters individually b/c the committee is not really a committee. :thumbdown:

I even talked to the head, and he said the interview might be around September or October. He even told me he'll only send it after I get my secondaries. My school committee is just too ignorant. Sometimes, I hope they actually know what they're doing, or else, just take that useless thing down.

wooooh onto the bio section! Stupid writing section how I hate you with a burning passion...I haven't written anything non science-y since first semester of freshman year.

ugh ended up being busy all day with work and errands and packing for my trip on Sunday. **** haven't reviewed! Have bunch of errands I've yet to do tomorrow, I think I'll squeeze in skimming all my notecards tomorrow night!

And I won't be getting a committee letter as well. I transferred schools and took all of the prereqs (except one) in the first college, which had no pre-med committee. Know of someone in the exact situation, didn't have a problem with adcoms. Heck, he's already doing MD/PhD

OK I'M DONE WITH AAMC 10. Kinda dissapointed with my score, but whatever **** it i'm tired as **** right now. I'm not used to testing at 2am >_<

Heres my breakdown:

Rrgpk.png

PS: :eek: did better than I thought, but I'm not happy with a 12. Also would like to add..**** the first passage lol...I spent so much time thinking about the damn color change question without even realizing it told you the colors right in the passage :laugh:...i need to sleep -_-
VR: Seems about right..wish I broke 10 though.
BS: Meh...I probably pulled some stupid ****..who knows. I'll be reviewing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good job, you did it! So between the 33 and 34, looks like you're set. I got a 29/31 respectively....****.

Good job, you did it! So between the 33 and 34, looks like you're set. I got a 29/31 respectively....****.

honestly though I'm not sure I'd be happy with a 34. I need something like 35+ to make up for my GPA but I fear that if I get around a 33 or 34 I will be sort of stuck because it wouldn't be a good idea to retake a 33 or 34...I realize that a 34 is a good score for the average applicant, but I'm not an average applicant >_<

also, what is everyone doing today? I'm gonna review AAMC 10, and lightly look over some stuff from waves, mirrors+lenses, electrostatics, electrochem, and a few things from orgo.

Already doing passages. Doing the "advanced passages" from TPR, then continuing to do 3 passages/section of TBR. Haven't touched Orgo in roughly 1.5 months so will deffo do the NMR for that, from TBR.