The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Total Score:34RPercentile Range: 91.2 - 93.7
I'll make it a 92! :thumbup: :love:

35R puts me at the 93.8-95.7 range. Considering my major was in music and i'm in a postbac program with a 4.0, i'm hoping i have a shot at hopkins or baylor.

I'm just happy i can forget about that horrid exam :beat:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a luker from the 5/24ers

Congrats to everyone who did well!

For those who did not score within their expectation, I honestly wanted to say dont let it get to you too much. I think luck can play an important role as well. Two people with the same raw score might end up getting totally different scaled scores because there are experimental items. . .

I'm a luker from the 5/24ers

Congrats to everyone who did well!

For those who did not score within their expectation, I honestly wanted to say dont let it get to you too much. I think luck can play an important role as well. Two people with the same raw score might end up getting totally different scaled scores because there are experimental items. . .

I am sure AAMC would take this into account...otherwise, there will be riots in front of its office (is there such a thing or is it just a some shady creep in the dark that's administering this horrid test?)

I am sure AAMC would take this into account...otherwise, there will be riots in front of its office (is there such a thing or is it just a some shady creep in the dark that's administering this horrid test?)

You may be right. I was partly speculating. We do know for sure that there are experimental items in each section. And I just do not know why AAMC never discloses the raw scores.

Also what happened to this topic! It died out or something. Today's a GREAT day, people. Oh, maybe you're all out celebrating, I should follow suit.
It's very simple. Yesterday was a great day for you but was a sad day for many people.

Also what did you get krypton?
Congrats on your amazing score and good luck with your MD/PhD journey dude ! You finally make it to the next step.

I don't know what the hell is going on!!! How am I getting 11s on practice tests and ficking up so bad on the actual. There was one practice test where I didn't read anything cuz I didn't care and I got a 9. I got a 9 without even reading the damn passages as WTF HAPPENED WITH PS?!?!? I knew it so much better this time than the first time. Fu.ck the damn curve

Keep your head up. Don't give up. Take a few days off SDN to think straight. Be strong !

Also, this thread will die soon. Just want to say that it's been very awesome knowing all of you, especially those who often talk to me during the course of study for this exam. Good luck to all of you on your apps !

congrats to everyone that did well, I really hope you guys have a good cycle, some of these scores are amazing and you deserve it.

To my peeps that did bad I feel you. This was a retake for me (5/9/6) the first time and (6/6/10) this time. UTTERLY heartbreaking to study for almost 5 months and make a two point improvement and drop in my strongest section. It seriously doesn't make sense but it's the reality of things. I'm not stupid I swear, just a REALLY REALLY bad standardized test taker for some reason, but I can't make excuses. I studied hard and was averaging close to a 30 every time. I have re-evaluate things I guess and concentrate more and study harder. Will be applying this cycle to my state schools in NC and a few others to roll the dice and see if I can get some love while studying for a January retake, can't retake in August because I started a summer program.

Anyways good luck to everyone!

Eh, thanks. I think this topic will peak again around June 5th-15th (when I'm submitting) and then die down before secondaries and of course, interviews.

I really hope your PS and stuff turns out well dude.

EDIT:

Question: When you say we generally need x amount of science, x non science, x research, x whatever, do you mean IN the COMMITTEE letter, or separately? I have a committee letter, work, hospital, MD I shadowed. Outside of that I have so many LOR's from inside the school that they fill all the reqt's. I'm aiming for MD/PhD.

In the committee letter they will probably attach letters, is that where they'd attach the x necessary ones? Or are they separate?

I dunno, I always thought my commitee letter would have the school ones attached to it (science, non science), research is separate, and the non school ones are separated?

UFWlm.png

EDIT:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=919015

lol wow.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
Although I haven't posted frequently, I often read the forums and I have found some extremely helpful advice on here.
Here's how I did: 39 Q (attached).

I know the BS was pretty bad. I had a headache during that section. But right after the exam, I felt more confident about it than I did about VR or PS. And the essay score was not great either, but overall, I guess I can't complain. I'm glad I'm done with the MCAT!

Attachments

• mcat.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Hey Guys,
Although I haven't posted frequently, I often read the forums and I have found some extremely helpful advice on here.

I know the BS was pretty bad. I had a headache during that section. But right after the exam, I felt more confident about it than I did about VR or PS. And the essay score was not great either, but overall, I guess I can't complain. I'm glad I'm done with the MCAT!

Congrats on the great score- especially your 14 (?!?!) on verbal! Would you mind sharing your general study techniques (materials used, etc.)?

Hey Guys,

Awe-some.

Congrats on the great score- especially your 14 (?!?!) on verbal! Would you mind sharing your general study techniques (materials used, etc.)?

Thanks for the kind words!

I think my approach to the Verbal section was pretty standard. I read magazines like the New Yorker, Wall Street Journal etc.. starting several months before the MCAT and I continue to read them.
I read about EK's strategies and Kaplan's strategies and tried to combine them and develop my own personal set of strategies. I tried to focus on why the author used a certain order in the passage to deliver his arguments. What was the point of each piece of evidence, each example, each counterexample...etc. I didn't get bogged down by passages and didn't spend too much time on details but essentially made sure I understood why the author used what he used to support his argument. While reading the answer choices to questions, it really helped to know the kind of information I discussed earlier. I hope this doesn't sound too vague.
As for practice itself, I did about half of EK's 101 passages and did some from the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal book. And the rest of my practice came from doing the AAMC official exams.

So..not the best news.. 26M
11VR 9BS 6PS. No idea what happened in PS, I was running out of time I guess that was it. Also my writing was usually pretty good but letter doesn't matter too much. It will be a re-write, sucks cause I'm in NB Canada and have to travel to Ottawa this time... was Montreal last.(04/28/12). signed up for (07/06/12) power studying, hope it is enough time.
Anyone think it is do-able?
aiming for a 30+. Normally I was averaging 10-12 on PS must have gotten a section that wasn't for me.
It sucks because I would love to go to McMaster and they only look at your verbal score of which mine is higher than their accepted average. If I retake I could have a better shot at many other schools including the "easier to get into for maritimers" province school Dal.(which has an NB location now) but I risk dropping my verbal as they take most recent score.
I have to go for the re-take though as the option of multiple schools is better than putting all my eggs at McMaster who accept few out of province.
Anyone have any PS suggestions? best study books?..used PR and kaplan and just bought EK complete MCAT. I need this as I have a young family to support. Also any other study tips would be useful.

Half the PS readers I've PMed over two weeks ago don't respond, and the people I do PM with questions don't respond either. Blaaaah.

Anyone else do a WAMC besides TI?

Anyone know of any mid-tier / upper-tier schools that would even look at a 30Q ? My state school will obviously be my best bet, but I'd like to apply to a few other places as well. Assume the other aspects of my application are above average.

Anyone know of any mid-tier / upper-tier schools that would even look at a 30Q ? My state school will obviously be my best bet, but I'd like to apply to a few other places as well. Assume the other aspects of my application are above average.

Honestly NO, the majority of Mid-tier/upper-tier schools want between a 33(with 11's on each section) -45

But then again, I would roll the dice on two or three for the hell of it

Last edited:
Honestly NO, the majority of Mid-tier/upper-tier schools want between a 33(with 11's on each section) -45

But then again, I would roll the dice on two or three for the hell of it

This is just false... apply to the schools you feel are a match. I cannot tell you how many people have come back after a cycle and said "I thought for sure I would hear from school X and heard nothing, yet applied to school Y almost as a joke of a reach and got interviewed".

This game is not cut and dry so don't let "averages" fool you into not applying to some mid-tier schools you feel really attracted to! The MCAT score you have is not as vital as you may think. You have to recognize that a lot of people that have high MCATs TEND to have a better overall application (better letters of rec, spent more time on their application, GPA, etc.) with it. If you feel you have a good "package" and a nice 30 to tote around with it... apply to those mid-teir schools.

This is just false... apply to the schools you feel are a match. I cannot tell you how many people have come back after a cycle and said "I thought for sure I would hear from school X and heard nothing, yet applied to school Y almost as a joke of a reach and got interviewed".

This game is not cut and dry so don't let "averages" fool you into not applying to some mid-tier schools you feel really attracted to! The MCAT score you have is not as vital as you may think. You have to recognize that a lot of people that have high MCATs TEND to have a better overall application (better letters of rec, spent more time on their application, GPA, etc.) with it. If you feel you have a good "package" and a nice 30 to tote around with it... apply to those mid-teir schools.

Ding. +1

Looks like a lot of you got 12 or higher in PS.

Along with TBR, did you use the EK 1001 series for PS or the princeton science workbook?

That ridiculously amazing feeling when you sink into your bed after being on your feet from 9 AM - 10 PM.

tumblr_lo7d40VUhO1qcxg5w.png

Looks like a lot of you got 12 or higher in PS.

Along with TBR, did you use the EK 1001 series for PS or the princeton science workbook?

I followed SN2'ed schedule, so both TBR and EK 1001. But after a while I only used TBR, because that book by itself was a lot of content review and practice already. But if you don't feel like understanding the material, use EK 1001. There are a lot of questions from basic to advanced in there.

Saw Prometheus last night. Pretty good. Was gonna go out drinkin', but just gonna lax around tonight.

Woo, just got a new phone! And of course, Sprint says they're gonna start charging for a new #...gonna fight that by asking for a port...

Last edited:
I'm still pissed I scored a STELLAR 7 on VR when I had never gotten a score like that during my FL's. not too balanced with my 11,11 on the other sections.