The Official 07/30/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnguye4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw someone JUST made a official August 6 MCAT club, and I thought, where's July 30, 2009? So, I made one! :thumbup: Unless... I missed it somewhere... :confused:

I haven't started studying yet, but I will when final exams are over (this Thursday)!! :D :)

Members don't see this ad.

You would be surprised at how many people fraud on the internet. I once was naive to think that it would be ridiculous for some anonymous person to lie on the internet, but it happens a lot, A LOT. But, after spending time on bodybuilding.com and watching people caught in lies that started 2, 5,and 7 years ago and finally caught up to them, I was no longer naive.

well, heres my MCAT experience. its not a happy story, and im just gonna reconfirm what others have already said. maybe sharing this will be theraputic.

AAMC 10 ---- 13/10/13 36

I took AAMC 3-10 and my average was a 34

7/30 i got a 29Q needless to say i was quite dissappointed.

i got maybe 3 hours of sleep. and i dont drink caffiene much so caffiene made
me jittery on test day.

confidence is key as everyone says.
bio was reading comprehension heavy
physics some discretes not much calculations and i would say it was concept heavy.

I kinda think that the AAMC practice exams are only good for timing yourself.
Other than that I think that studying concepts would have helped more than just cranking thoufh endless practive materials. I used princeton review for bio and berkely review for physical science and examcrackers for verbal.

I plan to retake but not his cycle, its to late. i have a good GPA 3.74

and 3.86 science. i went to a community college for 2 years so there is some inflation im a biochm major.

so yeah, practive concepts and your weaknesses.. be confident.. and dont just think endless practice problems can prepare you. becuz the format of the test does not cater to that type of studying

comprehension is more important, know concepts

well, heres my MCAT experience. its not a happy story, and im just gonna reconfirm what others have already said. maybe sharing this will be theraputic.

AAMC 10 ---- 13/10/13 36

I took AAMC 3-10 and my average was a 34

7/30 i got a 29Q needless to say i was quite dissappointed.

i got maybe 3 hours of sleep. and i dont drink caffiene much so caffiene made
me jittery on test day.

confidence is key as everyone says.
bio was reading comprehension heavy
physics some discretes not much calculations and i would say it was concept heavy.

I kinda think that the AAMC practice exams are only good for timing yourself.
Other than that I think that studying concepts would have helped more than just cranking thoufh endless practive materials. I used princeton review for bio and berkely review for physical science and examcrackers for verbal.

I plan to retake but not his cycle, its to late. i have a good GPA 3.74

and 3.86 science. i went to a community college for 2 years so there is some inflation im a biochm major.

so yeah, practive concepts and your weaknesses.. be confident.. and dont just think endless practice problems can prepare you. becuz the format of the test does not cater to that type of studying

comprehension is more important, know concepts

Dude, I had the same experience. I was sorely disappointed at my score (27S) when I was getting 32+ on my AAMC practices. It really was a bummer, but I think that you especially can still make it in soemewhere here! Med school too, not just DO, so I think you should apply man, I really think you'll be surprised at how many interviews you'll get! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seemed like you guys had a harsher curve bc i believe i read somewhere that a 30 is 80-82 percentile for your test... other tests a 30 is mid to low 70th percentile... i dunno....the AAMC statistical machine confuses the hell outta me...any ideas on this? BTW congrats to everyone who met their goals and gl to those who will retake!

It seemed like you guys had a harsher curve bc i believe i read somewhere that a 30 is 80-82 percentile for your test... other tests a 30 is mid to low 70th percentile... i dunno....the AAMC statistical machine confuses the hell outta me...any ideas on this? BTW congrats to everyone who met their goals and gl to those who will retake!

interesting and horrible! can you post a link?

an earlier test had a 30 at 75.3-80

man what torture waiting...

5/22 - 11PS 7VR 9BS Q - 27Q

7/30 - 12PS 9VR 13BS Q - 34Q

phew.. glad it went up. best of luck to everyone!

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used the second time to improve your scores...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

August 2007 - ps-9, vr-4 (0_o), bs-10... 23S
July 2009 - ps-9, vr-9, bs-9... 27P

GPA is 3.68 cumulative and a slightly higher bcmp. Lets hope I can get into DO or get lucky an instate MD school. Gaahhh, now im really nervous about this cycle. I hope I get an interview :-\

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used the second time to improve your scores...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

30R

(My last score was a 27P).

Breakdown:

P- 11
V- 9
B- 10

I'm actually really happy about the verbal section (My average on exams was an 8.), as well as the physical science section (After the test, I anticipated a 10/11 in this area).

I'm not so happy about Bio...I really thought I would be getting an 11/12, maybe even a 13. Well, something didn't go as well as I thought there.

I'm applying to medical school right now, and have a cGPA= 3.3.

Be HONEST: anyone think I have a chance of getting into a U.S. Medical School (MD only...no DO).

I applied to a lot of middle/ lower ranked medical schools as well.

Sheesh. I don't really know how to feel right now...somewhere deep down though, I do feel proud of myself, and slightly happy. I just wish I did a little better.

Tada!

Scores: Total: 32R 85.1 - 88.9
PS: 12 90.9-96.2 BS: 10 57.8-76.9 V: 10 69.1-84.5 W:R 84.9-94.0

Let me tell you about this wait.

Yesterday: I was really expecting my scores yesterday. I kept checking in the afternoon/evening every half an hour or so. I was annoyed that they didn't come through.

Today: I wasn't really expecting them till 4pm, so I purposefully stayed away from the computer till after 5pm. I did a lot of fun things today. I only had a minute to look at the computer at 5:10pmish before I ran out of the house. I left it open for my mom to keep refreshing the button since she really wanted to know, and didn't believe me that the scores weren't up since I told her I should get it August 31st.

After class, I went to the computer lab around 9:15pm to change a .doc to .docx, and of course I had to check. Yay! A few minutes later I received the text from my mom.

I laughed at the thread when I finally read it. You guys are hilarious. I am relieved I made a 32R. Wish those 10s were 11s. I like the percentages. I wonder if the med schools pay attention to that. Now time to finish my apps!

Undergrad GPA: 3.5
BS in Physics and BA in Astronomy with a minor in Math.

Post Bac: Recent A & P 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used to get a good score...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

I'm praying this is not a fluke lol bc I was just hoping for a 33 but I got a 35 on this test!!!!!! It was my second time and my first test was a 28 so you can imagine my delight and utter shock!

1st Test (2008): PS-9, VR-8, BS-11
2nd Test (2009): PS-14, VR-11, BS-10 ---> 35!!!

I worked my ass off and I'm glad it paid off! Hope this compensates for my lower than avg sciGPA!

Funny thing is that I never got this high of a score on any my practice tests, I think the highest I got was a 33. Also, I barely slept the night before (2 hours max) and threw up the morning of my exam so to all you kids whose nerves get to you, KEEP SWIMMING! I listened to some pumped up JayZ music and went in with the mentality of killing the test despite my state. However, I did lose steam towards the end of my exam (and it shows in bio, which is usually my strongest). But I could not ask for anything better.

:) DON'T LOSE HOPE bc it's very much a mental test.

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used to improve your score...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

5/22 - 11PS 7VR 9BS Q - 27Q

7/30 - 12PS 9VR 13BS Q - 34Q

Is the 34 good enough to "cancel out" the 27?

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used to improve your score...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

Aug 08 - 28Q (V 9, PS 10, BS 9)
July 09 - 37R (V 9, PS 15, BS 13)

Thanks for all the support. Good luck guys.

Hey can you please tell me what techniques you used to get a good score...i mean there is so much I can study for and the rest is just skills.......any skills that really helped you??? I NEED THEM PLEASEEEE

Practice AAMC (average):
PS: 11
VR: 11
BS: 11
Overall: 33

July 30 MCAT:
PS: 13
VR: 11
WS: R
BS: 13
Overall: 37R

Shocked but thrilled :) I'd say confidence is key. I was terrified going into it but I wrote "You Can Do It" in giant bubble letters on my scrap paper and gave myself a pep talk before each section. Congrats to everyone on their scores.

p.s. I'd like to give a shoutout to my dad who I know just discovered SDN haha

4/24 => 25M (9 BS, 8 PS, 8 VR)
7/30 => 30R (12 BS, 10PS, 8VR)

excited that my scores went up! only if verbal went up but whatever, I'm happy:thumbup: