The official 08/06/2009 MCAT CLUB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellymel09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just noticed that there is no official club for the August 6th MCAT'ers so I've decided to create one! I hope that everyone's studying is coming along great. I'm actually re-doing my MCAT for the second time around (I wrote it last summer for the first time and sadly didn't do as well as I'd hoped). I plan on dedicating this month to content review and then hopefully spending the last two months prior to my exam on practice exams/problems. Has anyone here ever taken the test more than once? If so, did you improve and how did you re-study strategically? Also, by how many points can one expect to realistically improve???

Members don't see this ad.

yeahh i know you're right, im just scared poopless :p i've already submitted secondaries so im just taking the plunge this year and seeing where it'll take me. i applied broadly and am also applying to DO schools. i hope all that work gets me somewhere.

31 composite is definitely a good score... This is my first MCAT test. It's the score of 8 on verbal and M on writing that is troublesome. And I've a 3.52 science GPA, 3.70 all others, and 3.56 overall.

What do you guys think? I've already applied to over 20 MD schools.

as long as those 20 are broad, i think u've got a decent chance.

Not sure how to feel - wish I had done better on the bio section, but the BS was definitely harder than normal for me this time.

5/2006
My old score was 29N - 9/11/9

8/6/09:
Composite: 33Q
PS:12
VR:12
BS:9
Writing: Q

what!? that's definitely a score to be proud of! stop drinking the sdn kool-aid!

Members don't see this ad :)
30R

11PS 10V 9B

I am honestly very content with this score. Im surprised because Bio is usually my best subject, but it was the subject I felt the most shaky on after i took the real t hing, i was also running out of gas at the end. Also, i never get above a 10 on the Verbal reasoning in any practice test so I am very pleased. I will be apply to all M.D. schools this year, 3.55 GPA at a good university with a 30R MCAT, I believe I can do it.

P.S. i took the kaplan diagonostic test two months before i took the mcats and got an 18, thus to everyone who plans on taking it work hard, you can do it!.

Last edited:
what!? that's definitely a score to be proud of! stop drinking the sdn kool-aid!

Alright lol, sorry these forums give me a heart attack sometimes - some people will say omg I got a 35 I need to retake! Wish I did better! Then I see my 9 and am like :eek:.

Alright :p I just worried about the 9, but if you say it's fine I'll believe you :p.

I want to say congrats on your score as I remember you were excited about it in the other thread, but checking back you took it down! But if you're happy about your score I'm sure it was excellent so congrats!

30R

11PS 10V 9B

I am honestly very content with this score. Im surprised because Bio is usually my best subject, but it was the subject I felt the most shaky on, i was also running out of gas at the end. Also, i never get above a 10 on the Verbal reasoning in any practice test so I am very pleased. I will be apply to all M.D. schools this year, 3.55 GPA at a good university with a 30R MCAT, I believe I can do it.

P.S. i took the kaplan diagonostic test two months before i took the mcats and got an 18, thus to everyone who plans on taking it work hard, you can do it!.

yay! you clicked and you're happy!!!!

Alright lol, sorry these forums give me a heart attack sometimes - some people will say omg I got a 35 I need to retake! Wish I did better! Then I see my 9 and am like :eek:.

Alright :p I just worried about the 9, but if you say it's fine I'll believe you :p.

I want to say congrats on your score as I remember you were excited about it in the other thread, but checking back you took it down! But if you're happy about your score I'm sure it was excellent so congrats!

Why thank you! I think think you'll do well! =) ::serves us each a beer::

ok guys, i am completely mystified, MYSTIFIED by what is going on here - someone please tell me whether i should retake:

08/2006:
6VR, 12PS, 11BS = 29M

04/2007:
8VR, 9PS, 12BS = 29R

08/2009:
10VR, 9PS, 10BS = 29R

i can't seem to break 30. my cum GPA is 3.3 (3.2 science), got an MPH where one case study got published in a book and a systematic review is being presented at a poster session for the american dietetic association, have a patient safety fellowship, lots of clinical exposure, research + 3 publications, a good bit of ECs, good LORs... i applied very broadly including DO schools

i have no idea why i can't break 30. can anyone give me some insight?

congrats to everyone who did well.....i'm still in shock by how poorly i did compared to my AAMC practice exams.

the more i think about it, the more i think i need to re-take and thus wait another freaking year to apply. this sucks. i am sad.

fml

ok guys, i am completely mystified, MYSTIFIED by what is going on here - someone please tell me whether i should retake:

08/2006:
6VR, 12PS, 11BS = 29M

04/2007:
8VR, 9PS, 12BS = 29R

08/2009:
10VR, 9PS, 10BS = 29R

i can't seem to break 30. my cum GPA is 3.3 (3.2 science), got an MPH where one case study got published in a book and a systematic review is being presented at a poster session for the american dietetic association, have a patient safety fellowship, lots of clinical exposure, research + 3 publications, a good bit of ECs, good LORs... i applied very broadly including DO schools

Those scores are good for low to mid level MD schools. The middle chunk of MD schools take numbers like those. I dunno what to tell you. Don't retake, you should get in.

I quit

I took the damn kaplan class, did all the work & asked questions, took all my pre-reqs, and prepared to the best of my ability. im shocked and disappointed. i cant even believe this is my score.

my practice scores weren't so hot either, but they were 5-6 points higher...

first thing tomorrow im going to call kaplan to refund my 2k. im disappointed. plan b here i come.
Was this the first time you'd taken it? Perhaps the anxiety of the test got the best of you?

8V, 8PS, 10B 26O.....(so pissed at the PS that was supposed to be my strongest section) I have a 3.4 GPA and Science is around the same.....i know i don't have a shot at an MD school but maybe DO??? I don't want to take this test again thats for damn sure. I studied for over 5 months and voided the june exam, i've had enough of this #$%! But i really don't want to do Caribbean either......

P.S. I never really gave up on anything before. But the fact that I studied so damn much, i mean i even suspended my phone for 2 months so i cud be left completely alone, and yet this is the score i get. Maybe this is just not meant for me....so damn confused

Members don't see this ad :)
just checked my score.
PS 12, VR 10, BS 10, WR M.

WR M????????
I thought I aced the writing section so M is a shocker.
I'm grateful for VR 10 but BS 10 is just wrong for me since I got 12 last time. I don't know I should retake or not. 32 seems too average these days.

i posted my scores earlier in this thread....but i feel once again to say to those of you who are upset that you did not get the score you want....remember just being able to take the MCAT is an accomplishment...we should all be commended on that...it is possibly the hardest grad school entrance exam (yes it has been regarded as harder than the LSAT, GRE, PCAT, OAT, etc...) This in itself is an accomplishment....

Please do not lose sight of your dream...we will all get there...

one thing i forgot to add in my previous post...I started out with a 19 on kaplan diagnostic...the first full length i took (kaplan full length) i got a 20. I was furious with myself. It was the day before my birthday and I realized I had one month to make some major changes. One month later i took the August 6 test and got a 31Q.

In all I studied for 2.5 months...thats all. And i lived my life up until the last 2 weeks or so too. I went to baseball games with my friends a few times a week, i went to parties, i went to movies, this is not to say that while doing all of these things i was thinking about how i should be studying and about perhaps the 5 hours of studying that day were not adequate..but it all was...it was all good enough.

Just remember one thing...

If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. - Dr Brown (Back To The Future)

Last edited:
Those scores are good for low to mid level MD schools. The middle chunk of MD schools take numbers like those. I dunno what to tell you. Don't retake, you should get in.

well, judging by your individual scores, you can break a 30. i wouldn't risk it by taking it again. just apply at this point.

just checked my score.
PS 12, VR 10, BS 10, WR M.

WR M????????
I thought I aced the writing section so M is a shocker.
I'm grateful for VR 10 but BS 10 is just wrong for me since I got 12 last time. I don't know I should retake or not. 32 seems too average these days.

32 cannot be average! it's on the 85th to 89th percentile! you can't be average with that...I got a 32 S (PS11,VR10,BS11) and I'm pretty happy:)

08/2006:
6VR, 12PS, 11BS = 29M

04/2007:
8VR, 9PS, 12BS = 29R

08/2009:
10VR, 9PS, 10BS = 29R

Your MCAT score is not bad at all. However, your GPA is on the lower side for MDs... If I were you, I would go all the way for DOs because your chance to get into an MD school is about 25% but for DO it is over 75%.

8V, 8PS, 10B 26O.....(so pissed at the PS that was supposed to be my strongest section) I have a 3.4 GPA and Science is around the same.....i know i don't have a shot at an MD school but maybe DO??? I don't want to take this test again thats for damn sure. I studied for over 5 months and voided the june exam, i've had enough of this #$%! But i really don't want to do Caribbean either......

P.S. I never really gave up on anything before. But the fact that I studied so damn much, i mean i even suspended my phone for 2 months so i cud be left completely alone, and yet this is the score i get. Maybe this is just not meant for me....so damn confused
You will get into a DO school if you apply broadly... good luck

Honest opnions will be greatly appreciated:

VR 8
BS 10
PS 11
29Q

GPA-4.0 and good extracurriculars

VR score is the average score I have been getting on the practice ones, but i am sure I can pull the bio up 2 points. A 30 would have been ideal for me. You think I have a shot to MD schools with these stats? I am not aiming for Duke or anything.

thanks hopanoid, NotSur, demayette.

im just really burned out about the mcat now, and im not looking to get into a top tier medical school - i applied very broadly and i hope that everything i've done post-college will help me out. i did apply in 2007 but applied to different schools this year. i don't want to risk scoring lower than a 29 if i retake, but im just so annoyed that my score is in such a grey area. i also don't mind going to DO school at all since right now i do want to go into primary care, my concern with DO is getting into a good allopathic residency (is it bad to think that far ahead?)

anywho, im going to talk to my undergrad advisor and see what she thinks. my applications are all complete so i will cross my fingers and hope some schools are interested in me.

thanks hopanoid, NotSur, demayette.

im just really burned out about the mcat now, and im not looking to get into a top tier medical school - i applied very broadly and i hope that everything i've done post-college will help me out. i did apply in 2007 but applied to different schools this year. i don't want to risk scoring lower than a 29 if i retake, but im just so annoyed that my score is in such a grey area. i also don't mind going to DO school at all since right now i do want to go into primary care, my concern with DO is getting into a good allopathic residency (is it bad to think that far ahead?)

anywho, im going to talk to my undergrad advisor and see what she thinks. my applications are all complete so i will cross my fingers and hope some schools are interested in me.

bad? i don't know if i'd use that word! but good look with med school! i think schools will see that you can definitely complete the curriculum!

I got
VR 11
BS10
PS 8
M!!!
29M

Not happy but def okay with it. I'm in shock at my writing score..I'm a retaker from 22M (PS 7 VR8 BS7) and I did the kaplan writing method and felt excellent about my writing...what happened? My PS I knew walking out of there I did bad...I was thinking 5 or 6 so I'm surprised its an 8. In fact I thought i did so bad in PS I retook on aug 21( hopefully its higher not lower eeek!)

VR avg 12
BS avg 13
PS avg 9
so I'm just like ..oooooooo kay....hey it least its not like my 1st attempt... but obv. PS is the bane of my existence.

If you have to retake, don't despair out there you can do it!!! I have an MCAT library of books, took a yr studying and I'm close enough to a 30 to be semi happy about it...

Questions: anyone kept out because they can't write!?
funny thing is I'm a published poet...I should have put that on my AMCAS but ran out of room...

3.75 GPA 3.66 BCPM....LOTS of activities, work experience and a child at home...think i can get in this cycle???

37R
PS - 13, VR - 10, BS - 14, R

Very very happy with the score. I did not come out of the exam thinking I did that well because PS was harder than AAMCAS practice tests.( this kind of shook me off rest of the test ) Also fairly accurate with my practice tests except PS was slightly lower on the test day. My practice tests I got PS 14 - 15, VR 9 - 11, BS 13 - 15.
Good luck to all ix

Congrats to all those who scored in the wait a minute, better than 98% of the people that took the test in the world. It looks like there are many here. Harvard should be knocking at your doors! :):)

Congrats to all those who scored in the wait a minute, better than 98% of the people that took the test in the world. It looks like there are many here. Harvard should be knocking at your doors! :):)

ditto, what an awesome string of high scorers! you guys must be so relieved :)

30R

11PS 10V 9B

I am honestly very content with this score. Im surprised because Bio is usually my best subject, but it was the subject I felt the most shaky on after i took the real t hing, i was also running out of gas at the end. Also, i never get above a 10 on the Verbal reasoning in any practice test so I am very pleased. I will be apply to all M.D. schools this year, 3.55 GPA at a good university with a 30R MCAT, I believe I can do it.

I really believe that Kaplan makes a difference. Most people I talk to ended up increasing their scores anywhere from 8 -17 points from their diagnostic !

08/2006:
6VR, 12PS, 11BS = 29M

04/2007:
8VR, 9PS, 12BS = 29R

08/2009:
10VR, 9PS, 10BS = 29R

You should not retake. It is clear that you wont be able to increase your score significantly. A 29 R is an above average MCAT and you should go for that. I think it will look worse the fact that you keep taking the test and getting the same score. If you apply broadly, you will get into an MD program for sure!

I really believe that Kaplan makes a difference. Most people I talk to ended up increasing their scores anywhere from 8 -17 points from their diagnostic !

While I don't disagree that Kaplan is helpful, to say it helps you improve from your diagnostic is meaningless. They make that thing unreasonably hard, and there is basically no way someone could ever do as bad on the real thing as they do on the diagnostic even if they didn't study at all going from one to the next.

I studied for two months (less than most people ive heard from). I took the Kaplan diagnostic immediatly proceeding this time and took the Kaplan course.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 7PS/5V/6BS = 18

8/06 Test: 11P/10V/9BS/R = 30R

Kaplan does work HOWEVER you have to put in the effort yourself. Attending the classes and doing only the FLs assigned may not be enough. I did lots of Kaplan problems and FLs and studied hard for those two months. Kaplan does help, but you have to put in the effort.

Last edited:
You should not retake. It is clear that you wont be able to increase your score significantly. A 29 R is an above average MCAT and you should go for that. I think it will look worse the fact that you keep taking the test and getting the same score. If you apply broadly, you will get into an MD program for sure!

thanks brainbuff - i feel the same way. decided not to retake and apply broadly. i posted a thread on "what are my chances" and tried using that excel sheet thing, but i really feel like other parts of my application will make me look interesting at some long shot schools. im not sure if i would be considered non-traditional because i was a bio major in college and planned on med school all along. so anyway my point is im not sure what broadly really means now, but im also applying to DO schools so hopefully i will be a competitive applicant.

thanks brainbuff - i feel the same way. decided not to retake and apply broadly. i posted a thread on "what are my chances" and tried using that excel sheet thing, but i really feel like other parts of my application will make me look interesting at some long shot schools. im not sure if i would be considered non-traditional because i was a bio major in college and planned on med school all along. so anyway my point is im not sure what broadly really means now, but im also applying to DO schools so hopefully i will be a competitive applicant.

You're definitely competitive for some M.D. schools, and probably quite a bit above average for many D.O. schools. You'll do great!

Schemp and Brainbuff are right, your mcat score is good enough to get you into many medical schools, Whatever stigma there is that a 29 or below isn't good enough is in large part due to misconceptions from some SDN members.

I studied for two months (less than most people ive heard from). I took the Kaplan diagnostic immediatly proceeding this time and took the Kaplan course.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 7PS/5V/6BS = 18

8/06 Test: 11P/10V/9BS/R = 30R

Kaplan does work HOWEVER you have to put in the effort yourself. Attending the classes and doing only the FLs assigned may not be enough. I did lots of Kaplan problems and FLs and studied hard for those two months. Kaplan does help, but you have to put in the effort.

same for me. i went up 15 points. but i really put in the effort too. just because something isn't "required" by kaplan doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. you're paying for access to all this material!

You're definitely competitive for some M.D. schools, and probably quite a bit above average for many D.O. schools. You'll do great!

Schemp and Brainbuff are right, your mcat score is good enough to get you into many medical schools, Whatever stigma there is that a 29 or below isn't good enough is in large part due to misconceptions from some SDN members.

thanks guys! im feeling better about it now that i've gotten confirmations that my secondaries are complete and that crazy test is over. i also took some people's advice on expanding the number of DO schools i apply to (increased to 12). plus, im hoping everything else besides GPA and MCAT will work in my favor. i hope we all get into a school! :D

8 BS
8 PS
11 VR

total score 27.

4.0 Science and overall GPA.

Took once b4 got a 25.

I will not retake bc Im afraid my score could go lower. MCAT is just not my test/

Do I have a chance?

8 BS
8 PS
11 VR

total score 27.

4.0 Science and overall GPA.

Took once b4 got a 25.

I will not retake bc Im afraid my score could go lower. MCAT is just not my test/

Do I have a chance?

It's funny that you got your highest score in verbal; it seems like most people usually find that to be their trouble score. Well done!

I'd say, knowing your other stats, you definitely have a chance for some med schools. I might mix it with DO as well, but definitely don't count out MD if that's what you want to do. If your ECs, LORs, essays, etc. are good I think you'll get at least a few interviews!:thumbup:

Everyone knows you need a 35+ on the mcat to get into an MD school...

You need a 35+ to get into a top 20 MD school. The rest of the MD schools will take scores below that. Keep in mind that someone scoring a 35 is in the 95%. Not that many people can get that score. The MCAT scale is not modeled by a bell curve.

Not every MD school is top-tier, there a lot of low tier and mid-level schools that are not that challenging to get into. For an individual, it comes down to a combination of stats and residential status.

You need a 35+ to get into a top 20 MD school. The rest of the MD schools will take scores below that. Keep in mind that someone scoring a 35 is in the 95%. Not that many people can get that score. The MCAT scale is not modeled by a bell curve.

I would disagree with this. You still have a chance with lower scores. But you absolutely must break a 30. And you must be awesome in every other way.

08/2006:
6VR, 12PS, 11BS = 29M

04/2007:
8VR, 9PS, 12BS = 29R

08/2009:
10VR, 9PS, 10BS = 29R

here is what FIU had to say about my application:

-------------------------------------------------
Anna,

Your application is complete. Your letters were received, as well as your latest MCAT score (you certainly ARE consistent with that MCAT score!).
-------------------------------------------------

no interview, but also no rejection - perhaps they will find my application interesting and amusing :love: