The Official 08/21/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wussok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I know it's early and most people who are writing the MCAT on this day are waiting for exams to finish before they even think MCAT. But, there must be people who are writing it on this day on SDN. Let's share study strategies and motivate eachother :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there I was just about to make a thread... I'm going to start my content review around May 16th or 17th! Last final is on the 14th I believe.. how about you? Start studying yet? I plan on using BR to do chem / physics then use EK for orgo / bio. At least that's the plan for now.. I also bought some Gold Standard Exams on eBay.. the price was great.. $45 for all ten CBT exams

Hey!

I started my content review yesterday and im using The Berkeley Review for Gen Chem and Physics and EK for Bio Orgo and Verbal.

I have material from Princeton since I took their prep course so I plan on using that as well.

I'm trying to make a schedule but have had no luck with that :/

Me too. I've been reviewing since last year since I'm deployed. Still reviewing up until June, then I'm gonna use the EK 10 week study schedule, plus as many practice tests as I can fit in. I've got the TPR book as well as the EK study package and the 1001/101 questions books from EK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.

I plan on starting my first day of content review tomorrow

sorry dupe post

Last edited:
Probably gonna have to revoke my membership as I no longer know when I will be home from deployment.

Sorry to hear that, good luck with everything!

You guys should all get 5 extra points for taking the MCAT on my 24th birthday. :laugh:
:laugh: I wish..

and I agree luisfigo.. let's kick some mcat ass. :thumbup:

I'm using TBR and I've already fallen behind a day.. gonna have to let go of a break day to catch myself up it seems. For those of you using TBR, do you guys always finish a section + 1/3 passages in one day?

Yes! 8/21 club. I've just been reading through the Kaplan review book and doing EK 101. I'll probably pick up some EK 1001 books to keep me occupied before hitting the AAMCs hard. Definitely don't have any schedule planned out.

How's everyone doing? I can't believe I'm actually studying for the MCAT now. Used to feel like it's a long while away. I've been going through TBR physics / genchem, and almost done with the first book for each, probably need a 3 more days (there are 2 books per topic for those who don't know). I think I need to give myself a bit of a push, it'd be nice to get content review out of the way as soon as possible so I can jump in to doing real passages and full length... which from what I hear is the bulk of MCAT prep. Goodluck everyone

HEy Guys any1 not eady for the exam yet ??? or any1 feeling like they should change there test Date to an earlier day???
Count me in on both :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ksmi :)

HEy Guys any1 not eady for the exam yet ??? or any1 feeling like they should change there test Date to an earlier day???
Count me in on both :laugh:

I started content review a little less than 2 weeks ago.. I think I'll be needing everyday until August 21st to ready myself for this thing.. No thoughts about moving the test up lol

And welcome Been/norah.. nice to have more people joining the club

Thanks ksmi :)

I started content review a little less than 2 weeks ago.. I think I'll be needing everyday until August 21st to ready myself for this thing.. No thoughts about moving the test up lol

And welcome Been/norah.. nice to have more people joining the club

Thnx im trying to study every day as well but i got sick today so im sad i cant study all i want to do is :sleep: ....but the reason i ask if u want to take it earlierbc u know how they say August is late :( what do u all think ???

hi im new to sdn but yeah i started a week ago because of exams and what not...

I've only finished a thorough review of bio so far...tomorrow i'm taking all the subject tests for bio from kaplan...

its scary looking at all the posts above since people are finishing most of their review of materials much quicker...

anyways good luck everyone! :)

Thnx im trying to study every day as well but i got sick today so im sad i cant study all i want to do is :sleep: ....but the reason i ask if u want to take it earlierbc u know how they say August is late :( what do u all think ???

Yeah, that's true, except I'm not applying till the next cycle.. so it doesn't really apply to me. That's a tough choice though.. I think most people that are re-taking/taking for the first time in August are applying for this cycle so you're definitely not alone.

its scary looking at all the posts above since people are finishing most of their review of materials much quicker...

anyways good luck everyone! :)
Welcome to SDN. If you've already finished a thorough review of Bio I'd say you're ahead of me. I'm almost half way through genchem and almost half way through physics. I guess together that almost makes a whole? lol. I hope I'm done with content review mid June.. that would be ideal

How many of you guys are applying this cycle? Isn't the August MCAT a bit late for most schools? (assuming you apply this cycle).

Hey all,

I'm currently reviewing Physics and G. Chem from TBR and afterwards will start reviewing Bio, Orgo, and Verbal with EK. I'm going to use Kaplan FL and AAMC exams. Goodluck to everyone!

I'm in this club. I've been doing content review for a month or so using NOVA/TPR/EK/Kaplan Bio. I'm pretty depressed after reading the 5/28 thread... I'm finishing up Orgo review and will commence mass problems and practice tests in a week or so.

Hey All,

I was going to change my date from Aug. 25 to the 21st for personal reasons. Anyone know how long the actual MCAT is? I have afternoon plans around 1:30 every Friday and want to know if registering for the 8 am exam would be okay.

Hey guys,
I'm glad I'm not the only one taking the mcat on this date. I'm applying this cycle. And I don't think its that late. I'm sending my AMCAS primary within the next week or so. As long as you send your AMCAS in early, you should be good. Thats what I have been told.

How's everyone doing so far? I was going to take it on july 30th but was not ready at all. I read through the EK books once and did not improve much. I'm reading through the EK books again and I signed up for a Kaplan course too. And I've been told to do all the online stuff they provide.

Hey guys, I am taking the MCAT on aug 25 so i know i am in wrong "club" but i couldn't find august 25 club anyway. So this is my 3rd time taking the MCAT and i have recently started studying. I am attaching a detailed tacticts, materials and my story. Any guidance, help or anything will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• STUDEnt doctor network.doc
    41 KB · Views: 327
Hello All,

Im taking the August MCAT and was wondering if anyone wanted to cover some topics on the MCAT.

Searching for a partner in the South Bay/Torrance/Redondo Beach Area. If interested, please let me know.

Hey guys, welcome to the 8/21 crew. How's everyone coming along in their studying? RedSox that's a seriously detailed plan! I'm sure lots of people will find it helpful. Just study hard, and work a lot of problems. BR books should provide a plethora of practice problems as well.

I have about 13 days worth of content left to go over. After that I need to go ahead and do phase II's from the BR books. Sadly I haven't been doing much of the phase II, hope this doesn't kick me in the ass. I'll be using all the gold standard practice exams and the aamc exams as well so that should keep me busy for the last month..

Ha, yea it is. How's studying coming along for you?

Starting test taking phrase. Going to try to take about 1 test every 1.5 days. Also just ordered TBR books (I already have EK, EK 1001, kaplan and TPR) and hopefully they will finally make me feel 100%

I am quiet happy with my improving trend. Right now I am doing those old kaplan full length test that you can find everywhere online. First test I got 30 (2 week ago) Second test I got 34. Third Test I got 38 (today). The actual improvement may not actually be that dramatic but there is defiantly some improvement from 30 to 38 lol :).

Sweet. Thanks to the op for creating this thread! I'm currently doing 1 test per 2 days. Hope it goes well.

I think I have to pick up the pace and do like 1-2 a day cus there is only like 30 days left ! wow

Wow I feel so behind compared to you guys. I still have about 8-9 days of content review left. Then I will start practice exams. But there are actually 40 days till the exam... so I should still have a month by the time I'm thru with my content. I sure hope my practice scores are decent, or else I'll be rescheduling.

8/21 is the last day of my summer x.x. I just dont see myself rescheduling at all because if I do it will be sometime during school year... or in January. I just cant take this much longer lol

So since no one post here I am just going to post my progress chart.

EK Verbal 1:8
EK Verbal 2:11
EK Verbal 3:11
Old Kaplan Full Length 1: 30 (9|9|12) 7/28/2009
Old Kaplan Full Length 2: 34 (11|11|12) 7/4/2009
Old Kaplan Full Length 3: 38 (12|12|14) 7/11/2009
Old Kaplan Full Length 4: 39 (14|14|11) 7/12/2009
EK Verbal 4:11 7/12/2009

Last edited:
Yea rescheduling for me would be really bad too. It's also my last day of summer. Will have Saturday & Sunday off then school starts Monday. Just need to suck it up and push hard for the last month I guess.

So since no one post here I am just going to post my progress chart.

EK Verbal 5:10 7/13/2009
EK Verbal 6:10 7/13/2009<-----really sad score and broke the upward trend :"(

Yea rescheduling for me would be really bad too. It's also my last day of summer. Will have Saturday & Sunday off then school starts Monday. Just need to suck it up and push hard for the last month I guess.

Hey so I saw post in another thread about GS-How are you doing on the scores?

I just took GS1

PS=12 (missed 5 I actually know how to do them all i just keep making ******ed mistakes).

VR=8 Wow 70% way through I stopped paying attention. It is so long and the answers are so confusing................

Biology=10 It was Ok in difficulity, however the passages are most very well written. And I got super tired cuz i had a long day, so I kind skimmed it (3+ passages in vascular system wtf lol) and finished 25 mins early.

Hey so I saw post in another thread about GS-How are you doing on the scores?

I just took GS1

PS=12 (missed 5 I actually know how to do them all i just keep making ******ed mistakes).

VR=8 Wow 70% way through I stopped paying attention. It is so long and the answers are so confusing................

Biology=10 It was Ok in difficulity, however the passages are most very well written. And I got super tired cuz i had a long day, so I kind skimmed it (3+ passages in vascular system wtf lol) and finished 25 mins early.
I haven't taken any practice exams yet, still wrapping up content review :(. I should've finished by now but have run into a lot of unexpected crap, so I'm a bit behind schedule. I should be starting on practice tests next week.. at least I hope lol

EK Verbal 5:10 7/13/2009
EK Verbal 6:10 7/13/2009
Kaplan Verbal (miss 9) 10? 7/13/2009
EK Verbal 7:12 7/14/2009
AAMC 4 Verbal :12 7/14/2009
EK Verbal 8:11 7/14/2009

Verbal is so frustrating. I am stuck at 11. on EK... However I do actually enjoy taking the verbal section and i like reading all the short essays...

I haven't taken any practice exams yet, still wrapping up content review :(. I should've finished by now but have run into a lot of unexpected crap, so I'm a bit behind schedule. I should be starting on practice tests next week.. at least I hope lol

aaah, pheight, moi aussi! I'm **** scared. I am still doing content review. I want to finish in the next two weeks, and then do the full lengths.

I want to run around like a headless chicken with all this anxiety. Oh lordy.

I am quiet happy with my improving trend. Right now I am doing those old kaplan full length test that you can find everywhere online. First test I got 30 (2 week ago) Second test I got 34. Third Test I got 38 (today). The actual improvement may not actually be that dramatic but there is defiantly some improvement from 30 to 38 lol :).

Yo Spiker, how are you timing yourself on those old kaplan Fls? Are you cutting down the amt of q and then timing as per the CBT? Or are you going all out, and completing every single question within the CBT time lines? Or are you just following the old time? Thanks!! :)

Yo Spiker, how are you timing yourself on those old kaplan Fls? Are you cutting down the amt of q and then timing as per the CBT? Or are you going all out, and completing every single question within the CBT time lines? Or are you just following the old time? Thanks!! :)

Well at first I will write down both times. For example Time I finish about 40 (for verbal) questions and time when I finish the whole thing.

for physics and bio I use their old time, however that is because i never had problem finishing either section at all

Well at first I will write down both times. For example Time I finish about 40 (for verbal) questions and time when I finish the whole thing.

for physics and bio I use their old time, however that is because i never had problem finishing either section at all

Okay, off to study!! Gotta relieve this freakin' anxiety. I am behind! ay caramba.

Oh btw, spiker...for someone like me, who is weak in chem and physics... cos i take forever to do simple calculations, do you suggest i do all the kaplan subject tests, and subject discretes and topicals and the PS section tests? Or are there some which I should focus on more than the others in considering the amount of time i have left :( ? Appreciate it!

Well there are rarely more than a handful of problems where you actually have to do calculations (I think Kaplan calculations are harders because they dont give you easily roundable answers). But when you do make sure you use the EK round of strategies. Oh btw alot of the questions that you think you need calculations you actually dont because the signficantly figures are so different.

For me i think most of the time is wasted on problems that you are not sure about and use the wrong equation and that way you pretty much will never get the answer lol

I use EK for Bio physics and Chem. I use Kaplan for the middle two section of OChem (more detailed)

and I dont recommand doing the kaplan "topic tests" alot of them are extrememly hard and irrevalent.

btw someone want to be my virtual study buddy? I am having hard time studying more than 3 hours and need partner to help me stay focused. (we can talk on aim and answer problems that we have).