The Official 1/29/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkIsGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone taking the MCAT on Jan 29th.

I'm glad they offer afternoon tests

Members don't see this ad.

Milk sure is good!
This is my first pick, if the testing site closest to me doesn't offer this date im in for 1/28/11.
But for now, I'm 1/29/11! :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea of when they open registration for the January Dates?? Dont want to miss out on the 29th!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey....clearly I didnt see this thread so I started a new one but Im working on deleting it! Yep the studying is beginning now! Good luck everyone.

I'm in for the afternoon exam in January !

I've covered most of the materials and now needs to practice. This thing seems to be a never ending battle

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm planning to take this one, going to take the next 4 months off to hopefully get it over with in one go!

I tried registering on the AAMC site, but no listings were available. The registration for the Jan 29th MCAT for 2010 opened on Nov. 2nd, so hopefully it'll be around then this year too.

For those of you having hard time with Gen Chemistry after reviewing via EK/TPR, try using the TBR. I just started reviewing TBR Chem to go over some areas where I felt I needed more fine tuning, and looks like it's covering many concepts in which both EK/TPR lacked.

Just an idea

I posted this in the 1/28/2011 thread and I wanted to post it here for you guys too:

Hello guys, I just wanted to drop in and tell you guys good luck with your studying. I started seriously studying around this time last year for my January exam and ended up exceeding all my expectations by putting in some good old fashioned hard work. I wanted to invite you guys to drop by my thread for some useful information or if you had any questions at all.

Hope I can help,

-LIS

Hi Everyone!

I'm also studying for the MCAT to take it on Jan/29

I'm having such a hard time with the Physical Science section :(
I get so discourage each time I see a problem. Do you guys have any good tips? ( by the way, I'm using Kaplan and only kaplan)
This will be my second time taking the MCAT so I really wish to do well :(

where do you get the info that it's Jan 29 and p.m. test? any earlier days in Jan?

When I go to mcat site, it still says 2010 dates, couldn't register for Jan 2011 either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I'm also studying for the MCAT to take it on Jan/29

I'm having such a hard time with the Physical Science section :(
I get so discourage each time I see a problem. Do you guys have any good tips? ( by the way, I'm using Kaplan and only kaplan)
This will be my second time taking the MCAT so I really wish to do well :(

Well Kaplan has some section tests as well as Qbank. Make sure you keep PRACTICING taking passages and all that...instead of spending time mostly on content review (unless you're really bad at a topic).

YEAH BUDDY!!
Time to get this studying into gear...I started dabbling with the books during the early summer but im ramping up now...anyone in the DC Metro area wanna join our MCAT braintrust :p(lol) send me a private message.
Good Luck Everybody!!!

Yeah, I'm all aboard for January 29, 2011. We got a little over 4 months, and this is my second time tackling the beast. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do out of the following possibilities which I currently have:

-BR Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry
-PR Hyperlearning Physical and Biological Sciences
-PR Science Workbook
-EK Complete Set
-EK 1001 Biology and Verbal
-Kaplan Classroom set (5 complete books, and an online bank with topicals, section tests, quizzes, FLs, etc.)

The first time around I primarily focused on:
BR Physics and Chemistry
EK Verbal with little practice
EK Biology and EK 1001 Biology
Some BR Orgo (Way too extensive) and some Kaplan Orgo

My AAMC avg was around 28 ranging from 26-30. On the real thing, I completely bombed it. Especially, verbal... :(

Anyone have any advice?

Yeah, I'm all aboard for January 29, 2011. We got a little over 4 months, and this is my second time tackling the beast. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do out of the following possibilities which I currently have:

-BR Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry
-PR Hyperlearning Physical and Biological Sciences
-PR Science Workbook
-EK Complete Set
-EK 1001 Biology and Verbal
-Kaplan Classroom set (5 complete books, and an online bank with topicals, section tests, quizzes, FLs, etc.)

The first time around I primarily focused on:
BR Physics and Chemistry
EK Verbal with little practice
EK Biology and EK 1001 Biology
Some BR Orgo (Way too extensive) and some Kaplan Orgo

My AAMC avg was around 28 ranging from 26-30. On the real thing, I completely bombed it. Especially, verbal... :(

Anyone have any advice?

I like Kaplan's method for Verbal Reasoning: Mapping

For each paragraph, map down the author's main idea/tone
Don't write too much, just a few words, use abbreviations
Hope that helps! :D

Hey guys. im taking it on this day jan 29th too.
im doing all the EK books.

Im extremely weak in chemistry and orgo. Its been 3 years since i took my orgo classes, where I crammed for everything and learned nothing.:(

Ive heard really good things about BR. If anyone has both EK and BR orgo, how much better is BR orgo. Do you think its worth buying?

Hey guys. im taking it on this day jan 29th too.
im doing all the EK books.

Im extremely weak in chemistry and orgo. Its been 3 years since i took my orgo classes, where I crammed for everything and learned nothing.:(

Ive heard really good things about BR. If anyone has both EK and BR orgo, how much better is BR orgo. Do you think its worth buying?

Organic is probably the section where you need to know the least amount of facts. But while most things can be deduce by understanding general concepts (where the electron goes), your not intuitively going to be able to come up with the right answer without lots of practice. Thus, you need a source with tons of passages... like TBR.

Organic is probably the section where you need to know the least amount of facts. But while most things can be deduce by understanding general concepts (where the electron goes), your not intuitively going to be able to come up with the right answer without lots of practice. Thus, you need a source with tons of passages... like TBR.

yeah that makes sense
i started doing the Ek 1001, but all their questions are really straight forward concept questions with no passages

I'll be taking the MCAT January 29th!

Does anybody know anything about Examkrackers classes??

I am game on for the 1/29/2011 test in good old Jacksonville. Does anybody know how I can get a hold of a Princeton review hyperlearning verbal workbook for around 50 smackers. As of late I can only find it on amazon for about 95 which is a bit to high in my opinion. I will be happy to put this test behind me and applications and interviews in front of me.

YEAH BUDDY!!
Time to get this studying into gear...I started dabbling with the books during the early summer but im ramping up now...anyone in the DC Metro area wanna join our MCAT braintrust :p(lol) send me a private message.
Good Luck Everybody!!!

I live in the DMV area. Anyone want to form a study group? I am also enrolled in a Kaplan course if anyone wants to meet up and review that also.

Taking it the 29th (If they ever let us sign up!). Been using BR, great stuff. Might've wasted a bunch of time with their bio though...

Any MD/PhD applicants?

Taking it the 29th (If they ever let us sign up!). Been using BR, great stuff. Might've wasted a bunch of time with their bio though...

Any MD/PhD applicants?

lol I'd love to go MD/PhD... but it's going to depend heavily on my MCAT.. So if I can rock up a good score then 100% md/phd... if not, well md and then try and get into phd once i get in...

Are you md/phd, exclusively? lol

lol I'd love to go MD/PhD... but it's going to depend heavily on my MCAT.. So if I can rock up a good score then 100% md/phd... if not, well md and then try and get into phd once i get in...

Are you md/phd, exclusively? lol
Yes, MD/PhD Med anthro. I think I will apply to my state schools MD only to hedge my bets a bit but I really want to do the MD/PhD. If my MCAT turns out ok I should have a decent shot. What do you want to do your PhD in?

Yes, MD/PhD Med anthro. I think I will apply to my state schools MD only to hedge my bets a bit but I really want to do the MD/PhD. If my MCAT turns out ok I should have a decent shot. What do you want to do your PhD in?

I'm not entirely sure, but something with either ophthalmology or development... I haven't really thought about it. MCATs are the only focus right now :(... u?

I'm not entirely sure, but something with either ophthalmology or development... I haven't really thought about it. MCATs are the only focus right now :(... u?
Medical Anthropology. MCAT the last piece of my app... can't wait to get it over with.

Man BR customer service is ridiculous. They want me to mail them an order form...wtf kinda century is this? MAIL?!? I dont even know how to send a mail anymore. I dont even have any stamps. Anyone know any alternate places to buy their books in the east coast, esp MD. I have Kaplan books right now, but I guess I want the best material possible.

Is it wrong to be excited to take the test. I feel a little naive for not freaking out. Perhaps I need a wake up call.

122 more days!! GAH.. its been 2 weeks since i opened my mcat books.. but studying for biochem and immunology should count as mcat review.. no? thoughts?

122 more days!! GAH.. its been 2 weeks since i opened my mcat books.. but studying for biochem and immunology should count as mcat review.. no? thoughts?

today in my biochem class, we learned something that was taught in my mcat bio class.

Man BR customer service is ridiculous. They want me to mail them an order form...wtf kinda century is this? MAIL?!? I dont even know how to send a mail anymore. I don't even have any stamps. Anyone know any alternate places to buy their books in the east coast, esp MD. I have Kaplan books right now, but I guess I want the best material possible.

Well you can get BR stuff from amazon, ebay and the selling section on sdn.

OR you can give up on med school because mailing in this form is way easier.

Well you can get BR stuff from amazon, ebay and the selling section on sdn.

OR you can give up on med school because mailing in this form is way easier.

Haha very funny! I am using Kaplan to study right now, but I sent in my order on Friday for TBR, and hopefully I can get it by the end of this week or early next week. But yup on board for 1/29/2011 -- super nervous. Hands down biggest exam in my life yet, and I just became a CPA.

I'll be taking the MCAT January 29th!

Does anybody know anything about Examkrackers classes??

I would highly recommend against it. I have a friend who teaches it. The only reason he got that job is because he got 90 percentile. He told me all he does is basically go through the book.

It does help you stick to a schedule if you tend to procrastinate, but thats not worth 1700 dollars.

If anyone wants a study partner in central nj/princeton area, pm me.

Im super excited. Just registered for Jan 29th at 1pm.

Have been out of school for 2 years.

Got a molec bio undergrad degree.

Had to work in the family business post college due to personal family issues that were going on.

Super excited to get back into the whole science/medicine field.

I want to go to podiatry school really bad.

Been studying already for a month and all of the sciecne is coming back.

Gonna tear this test apart!