***The Official 2006-2007 D.O. Schools Secondary Release Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be a good way to centralize all the incoming information before the storm of secondaries rush in.

So far the OFFICIALLY released secondaries of the DO schools are as follows:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

Lets just keep adding to the list to make an exhaustive matrix of all the secondaries released.

Thanks everyone! and GOOD LUCK :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

for those waiting from the following schools: VCOM will send out secondaries the last week of July. CCOM next week and UMDNJ-SOM you don't have to be invited do a secondary you can just download it from their website and mail it to them as soon as possible.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
CuttinEmUp said:
Thought this might be a good way to centralize all the incoming information before the storm of secondaries rush in.

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

Lets just keep adding to the list to make an exhaustive matrix of all the secondaries released.

I received OU-COM today by snail mail, too!

BengaliDocIsl said:
for those waiting from the following schools: VCOM will send out secondaries the last week of July. CCOM next week and UMDNJ-SOM you don't have to be invited do a secondary you can just download it from their website and mail it to them as soon as possible.

:luck:

Did you call those places?

CuttinEmUp said:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

Looks like we can add UMDNJ and OU-COM as well. Interestingly, I applied to OU-COM and didnt receive a secondary yet. hmm..i was in the first batch too. uh oh :(

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. UMDNJ-SOM

Packamylase said:
Did you call those places?

no but i got emails from them (with unimportant stuff deleted).

here's the one from CCOM dated July 5th:

We are currently in the testing process of uploading applications for the 07 cycle. It does appear that your application will be in mailing #1 from AACOMAS, so assuming the testing period runs smoothly and you meet our requirements after you are uploaded into our system your Supplemental Application will probably be mailed out to you no later then 17 July. We are hoping to, in fact, have this mailing into our system at the end of this week. If you have, any further questions please feel free to contact the Admissions office. Have a great day!

here's the one from UMDNJ-SOM dated July 10th:

You may go online to obtain the secondary application. Just go to the
www.som.umdnj.edu website & click on Admissions. You may download the
application, complete it & send it in right away.

here's the one from VCOM dated July 13th:

We anticipate sending our first round of Secondary Applications during the last week of July.

NSU sent out their secondary but for the Letter of evaluation do u need to have those filled out b/c my school (university of Illinois) has their own evaultion forms that are identical, how are u supposed to get those letters out if u just get them cuz teachers dont do them right away, can i just use the ones from my school and have my school send it out..please help

turbo40 said:
NSU sent out their secondary but for the Letter of evaluation do u need to have those filled out b/c my school (university of Illinois) has their own evaultion forms that are identical, how are u supposed to get those letters out if u just get them cuz teachers dont do them right away, can i just use the ones from my school and have my school send it out..please help

I started a thread today about receiving the NSU secondary, and I asked that same question. The consensus is that the evaluation forms are optional if you don't have a pre-med composite letter or if your physician LOR doesn't write one on official letterhead.

See http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=298335&page=1&pp=25 and CuttinEmUp and I answered that question on the 2nd page.

BengaliDocIsl said:

We are currently in the testing process of uploading applications for the 07 cycle. It does appear that your application will be in mailing #1 from AACOMAS, so assuming the testing period runs smoothly and you meet our requirements after you are uploaded into our system your Supplemental Application will probably be mailed out to you no later then 17 July. We are hoping to, in fact, have this mailing into our system at the end of this week. If you have, any further questions please feel free to contact the Admissions office. Have a great day!

We anticipate sending our first round of Secondary Applications during the last week of July.

That was great, Bengali!

yea can we also have the content of these secondaries on here... if possible.
that would be very nice... to get everything in 1 place.

thanks ppl!

Here are the application questions for thie NSU Secondary:

Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician (e.g., family physician, relative, or close friend)? If so, please provide name, relationship to physician, institution and date of graduation and where they earned their osteopathic degree (in that order).

Please indicate which of the following applies. I grew up in a community of :
- Less than 10,000 people
- 10,000 to 50,000 people
- More than 50,000 people

If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List your significant health care-related activities since graduation from high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List all the osteopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, institution applied, interview, and status of application.

List all the allopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, insitution applied, interview and status of application.

If you have ever matriculated into an M.D. or a D.O. program, please explain reason(s) for leaving. Please use the following format: date, institution, status. If non-applicable, please type "none".

Anyone from the second batch received any secondaries yet?

My mailing date was July 7th.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't get mine yet either... yikes!

CuttinEmUp said:
Looks like we can add UMDNJ and OU-COM as well. Interestingly, I applied to OU-COM and didnt receive a secondary yet. hmm..i was in the first batch too. uh oh :(

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. UMDNJ-SOM

BengaliDocIsl said:

this is a little off topic but in case anyone is interested... I called and asked UMDNJ-SOM if there is any specific GPA cut-offs for the applicants and they stated that there is not any. However the Average GPA is 3.5 they told me which I assume is for accepted students of last year. Good luck everyone! :luck: (I know i need it :oops: )

TerpDO said:
this is a little off topic but in case anyone is interested... I called and asked UMDNJ-SOM if there is any specific GPA cut-offs for the applicants and they stated that there is not any. However the Average GPA is 3.5 they told me which I assume is for accepted students of last year. Good luck everyone! :luck: (I know i need it :oops: )

i was in the first batch of applicants and i didn't get the e-mail with the secondary :(

bigfatk said:
i was in the first batch of applicants and i didn't get the e-mail with the secondary :(

for me, UMDNJSOM didn't send me a secondary by email. I just emailed them and asked if they had received my AACOMAS application and they told me they didn't for some reason (i was in the first batch) and they told me to go to their website for the secondary.

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. UMDNJ-SOM

7. PIkeville College (7/14/2006)-Mail

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. UMDNJ-SOM

8. PCOM (7/14/06) Mail

Dafertilizer said:
HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. UMDNJ-SOM

8. PCOM (7/14/06) Mail
For UMDNJ-SOM, was there any notification from UMDNJ-SOM to complete their secondary application or are we just supposed to know to do the one on the website. If you save the application, it says its for the year 2004-2005. I'm assuming that it is standard from year to year, as most of them are, so its a moot point. However, can anyone give me confirmation of this? Thanks!

dafertilizer, what was pcom's secondary like? any essays? what are the topics and how much space is there to write? thanks :)

laurenem said:
dafertilizer, what was pcom's secondary like? any essays? what are the topics and how much space is there to write? thanks :)

"please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to become and osetopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopatic Medicine"

(next question)
"What healthcare related experiences have you had?"

Then it asks for names of relatives who attended pcom, and the Are You A Re-applicatn question, then the good ol Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
then it talks about LOR's and the $50 they want, thats pretty much it...

I have received one for NSU, OU, and PCOM now. NSU by e-mail, OU and PCOM by snail mail.

Dafertilizer said:
"please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to become and osetopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopatic Medicine"

(next question)
"What healthcare related experiences have you had?"

Then it asks for names of relatives who attended pcom, and the Are You A Re-applicatn question, then the good ol Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
then it talks about LOR's and the $50 they want, thats pretty much it...

Did the PCOM secondary happen to mention any length restrictions for the essays? From what I gather, secondary essays are generally supposed to be a long paragraph; straight to the point.

Boner said:
Did the PCOM secondary happen to mention any length restrictions for the essays? From what I gather, secondary essays are generally supposed to be a long paragraph; straight to the point.

There is a small space provided on the secondary to write on, but it is suggested that if you want to write more, that you attach a separate piece of paper.

I believe that the secondary essays should be more substantial than stylish.

I have received secondary via email from CCOM.

I was gone all weekend and just got home.

I found that I have been snail-mailed the Ohio secondary and PCOM.

:) I was getting worried when people started receiving OU's and I hadn't got it yet.

BengaliDocIsl said:
I have received secondary via email from CCOM.

Just received the CCOM secondary via e-mail, too!

I have 4 secondaries to fill out right now!

Packamylase said:
Just received the CCOM secondary via e-mail, too!

I have 4 secondaries to fill out right now!
I know what you mean, pack. at first we were so anxious, now there's so many pouring in, i don't know which to do first!

rub1003 said:
I know what you mean, pack. at first we were so anxious, now there's so many pouring in, i don't know which to do first!

:eek: me too! just received CCOM and PCOM at the same time meanwhile i was working on my TUCOM-NV! are you guys having your secondary essays proofread? what do you think matters more, that it is well written or that it gets there quickly?

In the CCOM email it says "You will be receiving your official letter from our school in about one week, also including the supplemental application." what does this mean "official letter".

bigfatk said:
:eek: me too! just received CCOM and PCOM at the same time meanwhile i was working on my TUCOM-NV! are you guys having your secondary essays proofread? what do you think matters more, that it is well written or that it gets there quickly?

I'm going to do my best that my secondaries are both well-written and returned quickly!

bigfatk said:

Both. The secondaries need to be first well written and second returned as soon as you feel comfortable with the quality. gl

Have those who received PCOM secondaries received them for Phila campus or GA campus?

i remember those secondaries (PCOM)..they came with like a mini cd...pretty cool...although worthless

Boner said:
Have those who received PCOM secondaries received them for Phila campus or GA campus?
Phila! Finally finished proofreading today and ready to be sent out tomorrow!

so here's the list so far (i removed UMDNJ-SOM because no one has officially received a secondary from them, although you can go to their website and fill it out)

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. PIkeville College (7/14/2006)-Mail

7. PCOM (7/14/06) Mail

8. CCOM

bigfatk said:
mine's from Philadelphia as well

The PCOM secondary covers both the PA and GA campuses.

If you read the instructions under the double lines at the bottom of the page, it says "If you are applying to both the Philadelphia and Georgia campuses, please send separate materials in support of each application."

So, I guess that means that we should give answers to why PA and why GA in the first sentence? What do y'all think?

Packamylase said:
The PCOM secondary covers both the PA and GA campuses.

If you read the instructions under the double lines at the bottom of the page, it says "If you are applying to both the Philadelphia and Georgia campuses, please send separate materials in support of each application."

So, I guess that means that we should give answers to why PA and why GA in the first sentence? What do y'all think?

So far, I have created a universal "why osteopathic medicine" paragraph to be used for most secondaries. I then have a short second paragraph that specifically addresses "why our school". I have pumped out three secondary essays using this format and I think they're all pretty informative and to the point.

Anyone else care to share their format?

Boner said:
So far, I have created a universal "why osteopathic medicine" paragraph to be used for most secondaries. I then have a short second paragraph that specifically addresses "why our school". I have pumped out three secondary essays using this format and I think they're all pretty informative and to the point.

Anyone else care to share their format?

I did pretty much the same thing. But the Touro-NV secondary asks to list your personal characteristics and life experiences and how they would make you an outstanding osteopathic physician. I'm having trouble of writing a full essay on this without restating my primary app essay.

:thumbup: My point exactly that was ignored before. lol. Oh well.

bigfatk said:
so here's the list so far (i removed UMDNJ-SOM because no one has officially received a secondary from them, although you can go to their website and fill it out)

HERES THE LIST:

1. TCOM

2. NSU

3. OSU-COM

4. TUCOM-Nevada

5. OU-COM

6. PIkeville College (7/14/2006)-Mail

7. PCOM (7/14/06) Mail

8. CCOM

HemaOncoDoc said:
:thumbup: My point exactly that was ignored before. lol. Oh well.

But, are we expected to find the UMDNJ-SOM application ourselves, fill it out, and send it in?

Packamylase said:
But, are we expected to find the UMDNJ-SOM application ourselves, fill it out, and send it in?

I called UMDNJ and asked the admission office if I needed to wait to be invited to complete the secondary online and send it in, or if I could just do it right away.

She informed it that I could complete and return the secondary right away, without waiting for an email or anything from them, so thats what i did

Can anyone post the CCOM secondary please? That's my top choice and I'm still waiting for my GPA calculations :(

Once anyone from the second batch of primaries sent out (ie - first week of July) receives any secondary, let us know. Thanks!

Hey guys, I've received a few secondaries:

Touro-NV (7/18), and NOVA (7/19, today). Gonna get crackin on them so I can send them ASAP!

I'm wondering if we should have threads for each supplemental app, or if that would just get too messy b/c there'd be too many of them.

Packamylase said:
According to a previous post, yes. We can do that "before" notification. I don't know why they don't send a mass email. They had to have gotten my AACOMAS by now. Who knows... Another application to do now!

Does anyone have any clue on the WVSOM application?

I get the feeling there is no supplemental, and you just have to send the letters of rec and application fee to WVSOM, as the website suggests.

http://www.wvsom.edu/applicants/admissions.cfm (look under submit to WVSOM).

If anyone has any more information, let me know. Thanks.

heyimnick said:
Does anyone have any clue on the WVSOM application?

I get the feeling there is no supplemental, and you just have to send the letters of rec and application fee to WVSOM, as the website suggests.

http://www.wvsom.edu/applicants/admissions.cfm (look under submit to WVSOM).

If anyone has any more information, let me know. Thanks.

The WVSOM site says that supplemental apps are sent to those people who get interviews, so the supplemental seems to be highly-screened. I found this under FAQ for Current Applicants.