******THE Official 2007-2008 Cycle Thread******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funky

This space is for sale
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know it's still extremely early for us but..
AMCAS out May 3!!! :eek:
Where are the 2007-2008 people at? :hardy: :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

So scarry! I am such a planner but I really dropped the ball this time. I made last semester easy so I could study for the MCAT, but this semester is so ridiculously busy I have no time to write my essays! AHHHHHHHHH:scared:

So scarry! I am such a planner but I really dropped the ball this time. I made last semester easy so I could study for the MCAT, but this semester is so ridiculously busy I have no time to write my essays! AHHHHHHHHH:scared:
I feel ya! I'm in pretty much the same boat. I told one of my letter of rec writers that I'd have a draft to him last month, but I still haven't started! I am running so behind. I was honest to him about it, and he said no worries, just let him know when I'm ready. Blah. Hope he's not secretly holding it against me.

I'm just scared out of my mind to start writing the PS. It is so important, and I am worried that I can't put my feelings into a concise, yet comprehensive, sincere, and convincing essay. However, I also realize that nothing's going to happen unless I actually start writing...

I'm also on the edge of my seat because I took the MCAT this month and am anxious to see my score. I just don't like this whole waiting thing... and if this is bad, I will feel much worse while I wait for secondaries, interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll join in the thread. I'm quite the underdog for this app cycle, I'm expecting it to be an uphill battle the entire time.

I definitely need to start on my PS. I've got major senioritis, it's hard to focus...

From a 2007 applicant, good luck to all of you! :D

Good luck to all of us. Should be fun ;)

I got a mediocre GPA (3.5) and I'm busting my balls to finish some science classes by end of May to raise my BCPM....

No clue how bad my situation will be until I get those MCAT scores on the 16th.

I'll join in the thread. I'm quite the underdog for this app cycle, I'm expecting it to be an uphill battle the entire time.

I definitely need to start on my PS. I've got major senioritis, it's hard to focus...
hold on there, there can be only one underdog and it's me :p

Wassup yall. There is now a 3rd underdog becuz I am definitely an underdog. I am re-applying so we will see what the good Lord has in store for me. I know my blessing is on it's way. God bless everybody in the upcoming cycle. We will all have the victory in the end.

I'll join the party too. I'm chomping at the bit for that application to become available. My personal statement is done (after 500 revisions) and I have all the transcripts ready. C'mon May 3rd! Of course, then I will just have to wait until June to submit it. But I like to hurry up and wait though. There is a certain comfort in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll join the party too. I'm chomping at the bit for that application to become available. My personal statement is done (after 500 revisions) and I have all the transcripts ready. C'mon May 3rd! Of course, then I will just have to wait until June to submit it. But I like to hurry up and wait though. There is a certain comfort in it.

You stink! (I'm jealous)

Hey silverlining, where in Cali are you located. Im from LA but Im at school in Sacramento.

I haven't decided if I want to keep my PS and make some changes to it or if I want to re-write it. What do you guys think?

May 3rd?! What happened to June? I'm certain it was early June when I applied (which, admittedly, was a few years back). This process just gets longer and longer!

Good luck to you all! Remember: applying early is the #1 thing you can do to help your chances of acceptance. :cool:

May 3rd?! What happened to June? I'm certain it was early June when I applied (which, admittedly, was a few years back). This process just gets longer and longer!

Good luck to you all! Remember: applying early is the #1 thing you can do to help your chances of acceptance. :cool:

Its still June, but you can start filling the AMCAS out online May 3rd.

Hey silverlining, where in Cali are you located. Im from LA but Im at school in Sacramento.
I'm from Orange County but my school is in the Bay Area. (Specific info is in my MDapps.)

Agh, I need to start my PS too! I've been "writing down ideas" all semester but those are extremely random at best. I can't wait until May 9th when my finals are OVER and I can take those last 24 days to really get my crap together. Ha, what am I saying- I'll be spacing out and :hardy:'ing until at least May 30th...

Best of luck to everyone here!

Count me in!

I already have at least a draft of my PS (my school has a premed committee where they write a composite LOR for you, plus you have a "mock" interview with a committee letter where they act as your spokesperson, so you have to give them a copy of your PS...although I don't think my interviewer really read mine!), but I will probably revise it a bit.
LORs should be in already.

I'm not really going to get started on AMCAS until school is over because I just have too much to do. But I will have about a month before I submit to pick schools, come up with those EC lists, finish my PS, and maybe start on secondaries, if I have time :laugh:

But I have been anticipating applying for about a year now, so I am definitely ready to actually start the process!

count me in as well. i'm excited to apply after all these years of pre-med! I've got my PS done, and half the recc letters are in, hopefully the essays won't take too long to write.

good luck everyone!

Good luck to everyone on the thread!

I'm on the final drafts of my PS, my transcripts are in, and I still haven't pestered my profs for LORs, but that's definitely on the agenda.

Does anyone know which schools have secondaries you can start RIGHT NOW? I know Hopkins does, and I think Tufts does too. Anyone?

From a past applicant... Good luck! Just remember that this is a very looooong process. Even at this point next year, some of you will not know where you will be going! Try to relax some and not worry too much. Good luck to all of you!

I'm interested in the thread, but I already feel way behind. I haven't thought about my ps, transcripts (all 4 of them) or lors yet. ahh! I can't believe it's almost time to start the amcas:scared:

Can anybody tell me an overview of everything i'm gonna need?? In general, what's the PS statement like, LORs, and etc??

it's my first time... lol

Re-app here and ready to kick some med school app booty :D I'll be revising my personal statement a bit but it's pretty good otherwise. And I am NOT making the same mistake I did last year by not applying out of Texas! Anybody know when the new MSAR comes out? Or is it worth it to wait for the new one?? This is going to be nuts with the Texas app and AMCAS opening up within 2 days of each other!!!

Re-app here and ready to kick some med school app booty :D I'll be revising my personal statement a bit but it's pretty good otherwise. And I am NOT making the same mistake I did last year by not applying out of Texas! Anybody know when the new MSAR comes out? Or is it worth it to wait for the new one?? This is going to be nuts with the Texas app and AMCAS opening up within 2 days of each other!!!
yeah, i was wondering if it's worth getting another one. I have the 06-07 one from when i was applying the first time around. Should I even bother buying another one? What do you guys think?

My pre-med advisor just came by my office and told me to get off work early.. The head honcho of ADCOMS at one of my top choice schools is going to be on campus at 4 for a seminar, and i'm speaking with him afterwards!!

Just a reminder of what all that MCAT stress really is about.. I'm excited.. it may just be a "hello" but it's one baby step closer!!!!

ok so i'm applying, and i am sure i will not be getting in anywhere but hey, im gonna try anyway... so whatever...

3.0 gpa... yea im a freaking underdog... well its not even underdog... its DENIAL!!! lol

mcat; may 25... practice tests so far show 14Verbal 10bio 8phys... ehh is ok...

but we shall support one another and hope for the best for all of us.

lets keep eachother posted and help... anyone need me to proofread a ps, I'm a grammar nazi (obviously not when i post on forums lol) lemme know and thats about it...

yeah im just happy to finally be applying even if i do not stand a chance anywhere...

:D

Hey guys........just wishing you guys future good luck. Because the process sucks @ss! Just keep your heads up and plow it through!:thumbup::luck:

It's nice to know that I'll only have to worry about applying to med school after turning in my senior thesis next week. :D

I don't have anything meaningful to write, just had to save the thread from the second page. :clap:

Now I feel even more behind! I don't take the MCAT until May 31st, I haven't asked anyone for LORs yet and I can't seem to get started on my PS.

I'm a walking disaster before I have even started! This can't be a good sign...

I've asked 2 people for LORs so far (will ask the 3rd next week when I'm in town)....and I did my best to write the MCAT so I can have the scores by the time I apply - April 12th for me.

However, I won't have my pre-reqs ready by June 1st, which sucks, because I have a low BCPM due to some stupid classes I didn't care for back in freshman year and the fact that I was not a science major, so the few courses I took since didn't compensate for that old C+ and B completely. So I'm a little concerned. My BCPM right now is 3.37.

Erased comment

heyyy...any other canadians out there applying this year?!

I feel a little out of it...q for you guys, how soon can/have you asked your schools for transcripts? do we have to wait till amcas opens on may 3? or until you submit your primary? Sorry, im really clued out of these things!!

Also for LOR's, for those who've already started asking profs, how does it work? Do your references send it straight to aamcas?

You can send in your transcripts before June 1 so they can get verified (it takes a while).

I'm using interfolio for recs, so I'm not sure how it works if you don't have a credentials service? Any ideas, anybody?

Applicants this year around ~ 50,000
Number of applicants with GPA 3.7-4.0 ~ 20,000
Number of applicants with MCAT above 35 ~ 30,000
Number of applicants with great extracurriculars ~ 15,000
Number of sopts available ~ 17,450
Number of applicants ready to get everything in on time...~100 lol

Applicants this year around ~ 50,000
Number of applicants with MCAT above 35 ~ 30,000
Number of sopts available ~ 17,450
Number of applicants ready to get everything in on time...~100 lol

Let's zero this in...
Applicants this year around ~ 44000
Number of applicants with MCAT above 35 ~ 3,500
Number of slots available ~ 17,450
Number of applicants ready to get everything in on time... hopefully none:banana:

I am a reapplicant for the 2007-2008 cycle too. Just one semester left until I finish my MPH, which has gotten in the way of writing more than a paragraph of my PS and getting around to asking letter writers for LORs

Let's zero this in...
Number of applicants ready to get everything in on time... hopefully none:banana:

Yeah that sounds more like it. I was like, um, 30,000 is like 50% of the people who take the MCAT...but it's around 95th percentile....

But yikes those numbers are scary regardless.

Let's zero this in...
Number of applicants ready to get everything in on time... hopefully none

This is gonna be one twisted ride. (Sorry, I had to delete that damn dancing banana).