The Official 2008 What Are My Chances Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd2011

Random Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
its that time again folks, when applicants preparing for the upcoming cycle begin to wonder, what are my chances? each day applicants start new threads asking this question. so i was thinking... instead of ppl starting new threads, they could use this one to post their questions. i think this would also improve the quality of responses too.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA: 3.6
Sci GPA: 3.6 (closer to 3.7 after this semester)
DAT: 20/21/18
Research, shadowing, volunteering, extracurriculars, various awards, etc.

What are my chances?

Overall GPA: 3.6
Sci GPA: 3.6 (closer to 3.7 after this semester)
DAT: 20/21/18
Research, shadowing, volunteering, extracurriculars, various awards, etc.

What are my chances?

thanks for being the first to post. you should be set with those stats. work on your personal statement now b/c it can take some time to write. apply early. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for being the first to post. you should be set with those stats. work on your personal statement now b/c it can take some time to write. apply early. good luck.

Thanks. I already wrote the PS. I've been sitting around waiting for May 15 for a while. I've got all my materials ready (LOR's, transcripts, etc.) they just need to be sent out. I'm looking forward to starting this process.

haha i feel pretty good with my 4.0 gpa, but my dat isn't that great compared with previous ppls, so i hope that doesn't effect me. I made a 20TS/19AA/18PAT but a 16 in QR =(. I'm still thinking of retaking it in july or early august. Should I?

this is already making me nervous! Just think when we're all waiting for our interview invites.

haha i feel pretty good with my 4.0 gpa, but my dat isn't that great compared with previous ppls, so i hope that doesn't effect me. I made a 20TS/19AA/18PAT but a 16 in QR =(. I'm still thinking of retaking it in july or early august. Should I?

this is already making me nervous! Just think when we're all waiting for our interview invites.

QR is a section that doesnt matter that much. it will be better to get your complete application in early rather than wait to retake. if that is your only bad section, i say dont retake. your GPA should more than compensate for that 16 QR. good luck.

bump... i know more ppl will be asking "what are my chances?"

Physiology major, GPA is 3.29, will undoubtedly be bumped up a bit after this semester. Science GPA should be similar, maybe a little under that. I am taking DAT probably in June simply because I want to have some time to focus on studying on my own during the early part of summer.....physiology and biochemistry are taking up all my time for now. Worked for an oral surgeon for 3 summers, and plan on shadowing several general dentists come summer. Also have various volunteer hours. Probably not enough info to tell my chances because I don't have my DAT scores yet, but truly believe I'll be able to pull off 20+. GPA has been on an incline since freshman year, despite a bit of slip up last semester (didn't realize the intensity of physio and biochem until it was too late), but barring a breakdown during finals, I have more than fixed that this semester. Any suggestions on anything else I can do? Thanks a lot.

Overall: 3.7 Science: 3.4 DAT: 20
Research, LOTS of volunteering, Leadership positions, 30+hour/week job during school, TA for Bio lab, 100 hours shadowing
North Carolina resident

Weakness: Haven't taken Physics or O Chem yet. Taking this summer. Sending in application to AADSAS towards end of June.

Applying to: UNC, Tufts, NYU, Columbia, Maryland, Louisville, VCU, UF, Nova, Case, UNLV

What are my chances?

you all are starting this all too early you are going to be incredibly addicted over the next year but goodluck

17/18/15 with an overall GPA of 3.41 and 3.17 science (majoring in English literature). My healthcare-related extra-curriculars are next to nothing. Should I give up on my dream?

17/18/15 with an overall GPA of 3.41 and 3.17 science (majoring in English literature). My healthcare-related extra-curriculars are next to nothing. Should I give up on my dream?

You shouldn't give up if this is what you really want to do, but maybe work on that DAT score a little bit (try to get minimum 18's on the big 3) and those volunteering things, although don't HAVE to be healthcare, but it sure helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahahahaha :) IHD, i thought i was going to see you at UCSF on Sep 17th, no? hahahahaha

LOL!!!:laugh:

Overall: 3.7 Science: 3.4 DAT: 20
Research, LOTS of volunteering, Leadership positions, 30+hour/week job during school, TA for Bio lab, 100 hours shadowing
North Carolina resident

Weakness: Haven't taken Physics or O Chem yet. Taking this summer. Sending in application to AADSAS towards end of June.

Applying to: UNC, Tufts, NYU, Columbia, Maryland, Louisville, VCU, UF, Nova, Case, UNLV

What are my chances?

how were you able to get a 20 on the DAT without taking ochem? other than that, everything else looks good. your GPA is pretty solid.

Physiology major, GPA is 3.29, will undoubtedly be bumped up a bit after this semester. Science GPA should be similar, maybe a little under that. I am taking DAT probably in June simply because I want to have some time to focus on studying on my own during the early part of summer.....physiology and biochemistry are taking up all my time for now. Worked for an oral surgeon for 3 summers, and plan on shadowing several general dentists come summer. Also have various volunteer hours. Probably not enough info to tell my chances because I don't have my DAT scores yet, but truly believe I'll be able to pull off 20+. GPA has been on an incline since freshman year, despite a bit of slip up last semester (didn't realize the intensity of physio and biochem until it was too late), but barring a breakdown during finals, I have more than fixed that this semester. Any suggestions on anything else I can do? Thanks a lot.

i think the best advice is to do well on the DAT. also, get your application in early.

At my school students take National exams after Core Science classes. I borrowed the Ochem national review book from a buddy and studied it and Kaplan.

Do you think it will be really disadvantageous to wait until June 30 to submit my transcript to AADSAS?? Right now my science GPA is 3.4, at the end of summer it should be closer to a 3.5. Is it worth a month and a half>?

At my school students take National exams after Core Science classes. I borrowed the Ochem national review book from a buddy and studied it and Kaplan.

Do you think it will be really disadvantageous to wait until June 30 to submit my transcript to AADSAS?? Right now my science GPA is 3.4, at the end of summer it should be closer to a 3.5. Is it worth a month and a half>?

In my opinion, you should submit your application in May. Once you've completed your summer classes, submit an updated transcript to each school. (You may want to contact each school and inform them that you'll be doing this).

Remember, dental schools look at applications as they are received -- it is MUCH better to be looked at earlier than later. I submitted my application on May 29, 2006 and was NOT in the first mailing to dental schools. If you wait until the end of June to submit your application, you could be in the fifth or sixth mailing -- that's a lot of applicants ahead of you in the queue!

Remember, dental schools look at applications as they are received -- it is MUCH better to be looked at earlier than later. I submitted my application on May 29, 2006 and was NOT in the first mailing to dental schools. If you wait until the end of June to submit your application, you could be in the fifth or sixth mailing -- that's a lot of applicants ahead of you in the queue!

i agree 100%

Hey...how is it possible to have your stuff in by the earliest date possible? Don't you have to print the match form for your transcripts and this is only possible after you register with aadsas which the earliest date is May
15th.....I'm just trying to set everything up so I can get everything in as soon as possible....and what about LOR's? I have two profs that I want to get LORs from but the class doesn't end until after May 15th.....Any advice? Thanks

Hey...how is it possible to have your stuff in by the earliest date possible? Don't you have to print the match form for your transcripts and this is only possible after you register with aadsas which the earliest date is May
15th.....I'm just trying to set everything up so I can get everything in as soon as possible....and what about LOR's? I have two profs that I want to get LORs from but the class doesn't end until after May 15th.....Any advice? Thanks

ask the prof to write the LOR now. to answer your first question, no its not possible to have everything there on May 15th. you should try to get everything there as soon as possible after you create your application on the 15th. you need the transcript and LOR matching forms which are only available to you after you create your application.

:lol:

just give up man...i mean sure harvard, ucla, ucsf, penn, etc... wanted you but still

just give up

do all d-schools look at the application as soon as they arrive or some of them? i thought it depends on schools...some have rolling process...some wait till like december & then start looking at application:confused:

do all d-schools look at the application as soon as they arrive or some of them? i thought it depends on schools...some have rolling process...some wait till like december & then start looking at application:confused:

they're all rolling if i'm not mistaken, except some are a bit slower than others in terms of going through applications, handing out interviews, etc...

most schools begin to offer interviews in september. that means that they probably start reviewing applications in july or august. Dec 1 is the first day that schools are allowed to notify applicants of acceptances.

I don't think my application will be ready to go by May 15th. I just decided I was going to apply this year instead of next. June 30th doesn't seem that late to me as an in state at UNC with decent stats... Or am I dead wrong? Also, how would applying then affect my application to say NOVA??

Thanks

I don't think my application will be ready to go by May 15th. I just decided I was going to apply this year instead of next. June 30th doesn't seem that late to me as an in state at UNC with decent stats... Or am I dead wrong? Also, how would applying then affect my application to say NOVA??

Thanks

i didnt apply to either of those schools, so i dont know what to tell you. As a general rule you should get your application in as early as possible.

Last edited:

You'll get into d-schools, it's just a matter of which ones. If you're gunning for the top schools, I'd retake it. You don't want to give them an excuse to reject you. But as a prevous poster stated, your LORs, PS, at ECs will problably carry more weight at this point than a couple of extra points on the QR section.

does the AADSASS application become availible at 12:01 a.m. EDT on May 15th?

does the AADSASS application become availible at 12:01 a.m. EDT on May 15th?

lol thats a good question.... i dont really know. i dont think it will hurt you to submit the application within the first few weeks of it being available. when ppl say to apply early, they mean the first few weeks, not the first few seconds.

lol thats a good question.... i dont really know. i dont think it will hurt you to submit the application within the first few weeks of it being available. when ppl say to apply early, they mean the first few weeks, not the first few seconds.

yeah isn't it impossible to send it out on the first day (or first few days for that matter). Because you need your official transcripts in before AADSAS can send your app and in order to get your official transcripts you need to give your school(s) the transcript matching form which is only available after the cycle opening. Is this correct?

yeah isn't it impossible to send it out on the first day (or first few days for that matter). Because you need your official transcripts in before AADSAS can send your app and in order to get your official transcripts you need to give your school(s) the transcript matching form which is only available after the cycle opening. Is this correct?

you can submit the application on the first day it is available. it wouldnt get sent to dental schools the first day because they need to get the transcripts and LORs. it takes a few weeks for AADSAS to verify your GPA and get everything ready to send out. you just want to make sure that everything gets to AADSAS within a few weeks of the cycle opening.

I didn't mean to reply to this message.. but I am a newbie and don't know how to just make a new post.
Was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I'm a sophomore at U of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Molecular and Cellular Biology major. My GPA is not super strong at 3.4 (3.2 science). I am of course trying to get that up. I haven't taken the DAT yet but am planning to begin studying hard core this summer. As for EC's... I am senior coordinator for a Hispanic tutoring project for the CU area, I work in a research lab, violinist (although not in orchestra at school), committee member for a group trying to improve our MCB curriculum, hospital volunteer over the summer, actress for a children's theatre company... I went on 5 mission trips in high school, can I include this on my app or is high school too out of date? I am also applying to be on a committee that serves as a jury to students who are up for expulsion.

I want to kick ass on the DAT, do you think that will sort of pick up some slack for my average (or less than average :( ) GPA? I'm starting to freak out that I won't get into dental school? What can I do... I know I do still have a little time.

And what can I do this summer? Most dental offices I've been calling don't want a dental assistant who would only be seasonal. I plan on shadowing my dentist, but is there something else I can do? A paid job that's related to dentistry? Any tips at all that you guys have?

I'm REALLY starting to freak out!
My top school choices are UIC and NYU (though that would be an enormous stretch financially-- I live right near Chicago so at least UIC is convenient). What schools are even within reach for me?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND I'LL BE FOREVER THANKFUL:)

I didn't mean to reply to this message.. but I am a newbie and don't know how to just make a new post.
Was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I'm a sophomore at U of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Molecular and Cellular Biology major. My GPA is not super strong at 3.4 (3.2 science). I am of course trying to get that up. I haven't taken the DAT yet but am planning to begin studying hard core this summer. As for EC's... I am senior coordinator for a Hispanic tutoring project for the CU area, I work in a research lab, violinist (although not in orchestra at school), committee member for a group trying to improve our MCB curriculum, hospital volunteer over the summer, actress for a children's theatre company... I went on 5 mission trips in high school, can I include this on my app or is high school too out of date? I am also applying to be on a committee that serves as a jury to students who are up for expulsion.

I want to kick ass on the DAT, do you think that will sort of pick up some slack for my average (or less than average :( ) GPA? I'm starting to freak out that I won't get into dental school? What can I do... I know I do still have a little time.

And what can I do this summer? Most dental offices I've been calling don't want a dental assistant who would only be seasonal. I plan on shadowing my dentist, but is there something else I can do? A paid job that's related to dentistry? Any tips at all that you guys have?

I'm REALLY starting to freak out!
My top school choices are UIC and NYU (though that would be an enormous stretch financially-- I live right near Chicago so at least UIC is convenient). What schools are even within reach for me?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND I'LL BE FOREVER THANKFUL:)

I would only be concerned about the GPA if you are applying this cycle and trying to get in without a degree.

However, if you are applying next year, than you will be fine and need not freak out. Your GPA is average-ish, but you have plenty of time to pick it up. It sounds like you have more than enough ECs/leadership roles.

Getting a seasonal job will be unlikely in a dental office unless you have connections. Just get some shadowing done, and find part-time work elsewhere (assuming you need the money).

You can mention things you did in High school, but obviously the more recent activities will carry the most weight.

The only weakness is your GPA, which has time to improve. Just nail the DAT and apply away.

There will be plenty of schools in reach, so make a list and start browsing their web sites to see how you stack up with their admissions criteria and pre-reqs.

about how weak of an applicant i am?

GPA will be 3.5 (3.4 science) overall...
100+ hours volunteer in hospital in PT department (continuing throughout summer)
30 hrs shadowing ob/gyn
50 hrs shadowing physical therapist
30 shadowing dentist (started already, hours will be complete by May 15)
volunteering at another dentists office... will continue thoughout summer
Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol
Delta Delta Delta (party head, social events chairman, vice president of administration)
provost honor roll 1 semester, deans honor roll 2 semesters
held job as street marketer for past 2 1/2 years
bachelors degree in 3 years from University of Miami (just decided to graduate 1 year early since I could, and I have a family member with health concerns back home)
will be working, volunteering, and taking micro/biochem classes in the fall

(does one include an academic scholarship that was received for undergrad?)

biggest concern: application will be rather late, since not taking DAT til mid july (however, i am studying my butt off, and if i don't get 20s all around, i'll probably just not even bother this cycle) but if I do manage 20s, should I at least give it a shot, and send out the application? or is having my stuff in early august just way too late? I'm concerned about taking two years off from school...

advice?

19AA/20TS/23PAT

Computer Engineer with 2 years of experience.

3.6 Academic Average/ 4.0 Science Average

Usual shadowing dental assisting stuff. 100+ hours
Campus tour guide, freshman orientation leader
Mechanic
Web Designer with a live website
Help running family business and opening a new location in June

What are my chances? with 16 RC? English is my second language, it is not that I don't understand what it says, I just read slow.

overall GPA =3.9
science GPA = about 3.8
haven't taken DAT yet
:( (i'm planning to take it on July. would this be too late????)
shadowing, volunteering, working experience
but I'm kind of worried about not having any research experience. (i'm planning on doing some research over summer. do you guys know if that would work?)
and what else...

o by the way...
everybody says work on your personal statement early;
and i'm wondering what is the topic for the personal statement?
thanx!