The Official (2017-2018) WAMC for Psychiatry Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cincy is a reasonably strong program that really struggles to attract quality applicants, definitely worth a look. Also consider U of L, which is not that far outside the borders of Ohio.
Case Western and OSU pretty darn solid as well.

Members don't see this ad.

throwaway account :/

Step 1:200-205
Step 2 CK/ CS: 215-220
School: midwest MD school
Class Rank: bottom quartile
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system): Pass in surgery and OB high pass in everything else with honor in psych
AOA: uh nooo...
Research/ Publications: psych research for years prior to med school, 2 publications in psych, a few poster presentations related to psych, psych research during medical school, psych award
Extracurriculars: admission volunteer, psych orgs, student government, and other student org leadership roles
Quality of LORs if known: i know 1 will be good from my mentor since M1 year, but they haven't worked with me in a clinical role then 2 more psych LORs one from a chair and one from a new attending then my non psych letter is IM
Red flags: medical LOA (explained in my PS)
Where you would like to end up: Henry Ford or Wayne State after that midwest

i was hoping my step 2 score was going to be better! i was disappointed when i got my score today to say the least. how many programs do I need to apply to?? I'm starting to worry!

bump any one have any ideas on midwest programs to apply to? Please help this scared applicant!

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted today and am in a similar boat in the Midwest. I don't know much about Louisville and UK but I am very curious. Also I assume they are all solid but is competitiveness among CC, Case, OSU, and Cincinnati pretty similar? Thanks!

What are the boundaries of Midwest for you? Louisville and University of Kentucky are probably reasonable to apply to.

no hard and set boundaries so I will add these 2 programs to the list. any other suggestions for the midwest?

no hard and set boundaries so I will add these 2 programs to the list. any other suggestions for the midwest?

The midwest is pretty huge. Anything more specific? Michigan, U Chicago, Northwestern, University of Minnesota, Mayo, Hennepin County (HCMC) and Regions Hospital, University of Wisconsin Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, and many more are solid programs.

I posted above in more detail but for screenings are a Step 1 of 238 and Step 2 of 234 decent to get interview invites at places like Pitt or Michigan if I am living and going to school in the area to begin with? How competitive are these two scores in general for the higher tier psychiatry programs? I am a little concerned about doing slightly worse on Step 2 but I was just wondering where I stand with these.

The scores are not going to get you auto-screened out for sure. Doesn't mean you'll get an interview but if not it will not be the fault of Steps.

Step 1: 256
Step 2 CK/ CS: Just took, won't be out by Sept 15th
School: Top 10
Class Rank: Middle of the pack
Clerkship Grades (H/HP/P/F): Mostly HP, no honors in 3rd year (though did honor psych sub-I 4th year)
AOA: nope
Research/ Publications: PhD in a field tangentially related to psych, but I can speak about how it's motivated me. 3 first author pubs, other secondary authors, presented at a national conference, but again only tangentially related to psych at best.
Extracurriculars: nothing special other than research mentioned above.
Quality of LORs if known: 2 from psych, 1 IM, 1 from my PhD mentor. I expect decent-to-strong letters.
Red flags: No honors in 3rd year psych rotation (HP)
Where you would like to end up: Top tier research track program (I want to go into academics, so reputation is at least somewhat important)... places like MGH, Pitt, Penn, Yale, Michigan, UCSD... also looking at a few less-obvious places like MUSC and UNC which have some research I'm interested in and solid clinical training.

My biggest questions are how many schools I need to apply to, my chances at getting interviews with average clinical grades and no step 2 score at top places, and whether I need true safety schools on my list. I don't want to be overconfident and send too many apps to highly competitive places, but I also don't want to spend the time/money interviewing at schools I'm not really interested in either.

Lurking the past two weeks. I pledge to fill in interview reviews along the way!

Step 1
: 245
Step 2: pending
School: Middle of the pack
Clerkship grades: 50% honors (including psych x2), 50% HP
AOA: ?
Research/pubs: Plenty of research in quasi-related field; pubs and posters and a talk
Extracurriculars: yep, leadership, volunteering, outreach, etc
Quality of LORs: I believe them to be strong
Red flags: don't think so? years off for PhD, but explained.
Where to end up: small/moderate city with research and teaching opportunities. Collaborative feel. Midwest is home, and big cities aren't my gig. Looking mostly middle of the country but good programs nonetheless.

Reachy: Yale, Mayo, UPMC/Pittsburgh, U Washington, OHSU, Brown, U Penn, Dartmouth, Maybe MGH/McLean
Target (plus I like these a lot, anyway): Wash U, U Iowa, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, MCW, Indiana U, U Michigan, U Utah, U Mass, U Rochester, U Utah, +/- Duke and Cincinnati, maybe HCMC

Last edited:
Clerkship Grades (H/HP/P/F): Mostly HP, no honors in 3rd year (though did honor psych sub-I 4th year)
Research/ Publications: PhD in a field tangentially related to psych, but I can speak about how it's motivated me. 3 first author pubs, other secondary authors, presented at a national conference, but again only tangentially related to psych at best.
Quality of LORs if known: 2 from psych, 1 IM, 1 from my PhD mentor. I expect decent-to-strong letters.
Where you would like to end up: Top tier research track program (I want to go into academics, so reputation is at least somewhat important)... places like MGH, Pitt, Penn, Yale, Michigan, UCSD... also looking at a few less-obvious places like MUSC and UNC which have some research I'm interested in and solid clinical training.

My biggest questions are how many schools I need to apply to, my chances at getting interviews with average clinical grades and no step 2 score at top places, and whether I need true safety schools on my list. I don't want to be overconfident and send too many apps to highly competitive places, but I also don't want to spend the time/money interviewing at schools I'm not really interested in either.

Is your Step 2 going to be coming out a bit later in September, or are we talking February? If it's the former, I think you are in great shape, just update it when you get the score and I don't think you need to be applying all that broadly, probably in the area of 10-15 programs told including a couple of safeties just in case you have the personality of a dumpster fire.

Lurking the past two weeks. I pledge to fill in interview reviews along the way!

Step 1
: 245
Step 2: CK pending, CS scheduled
School: Top 50, central
Clerkship grades: 50% honors (including psych x2), 50% HP
AOA: ?
Research/pubs: PhD in quasi-related field, plenty of pubs and posters and a talk
Extracurriculars: some leadership, volunteering w/ science outreach for several years, developed training protocols, one semester psych 'intern' at local org
Quality of LORs: strong research letter, presumably strong psych letters x2 but from lesser known folks, and a strong IM from middle of pack prof
Red flags: don't think so? years off for PhD, but explained.
Where to end up: small/moderate city with research and teaching opportunities. Collaborative feel. Midwest is home, and big cities aren't my gig (NYC, southern Cali, even Boston and Chicago are likely out per SO request). Looking mostly middle of the country but good programs nonetheless.

Reachy: Yale, Mayo, UPMC/Pittsburgh, U Washington, OHSU, Brown, U Penn, Dartmouth, Maybe MGH/McLean
Target (plus I like these a lot, anyway): Wash U, U Iowa, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin/Madison, MCW, Indiana U, U Michigan, U Utah, U Massachusetts, U Rochester, U Utah, +/- Duke and Cincinnati
? Safety? : HCMC MN (or will they get caught up on my research desire and just pass on me)

Primary question is what would constitute a safety school here. Less interest in small community programs that may offer little to no ability for research. And is 20 sufficient if they're mostly moderate schools? Thanks much!

I think Cincy is a safety school for you, honestly. Otherwise you sound like a fantastic fit for Pitt on paper.

You'll probably need to apply to around 10 programs, maybe 15 max. I would add Stanford to that list as they have 1 month to do research in 1st year as well as a 1 month course on research methods that year as well. Their research track is phenomenal. Places like Columbia and UCLA are also extremely strong for research, especially with how much time they give you dedicated to it. MGH even though it has a strong name, their clinical training is intensive and may not give you as much research time as other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your Step 2 going to be coming out a bit later in September, or are we talking February? If it's the former, I think you are in great shape, just update it when you get the score and I don't think you need to be applying all that broadly, probably in the area of 10-15 programs told including a couple of safeties just in case you have the personality of a dumpster fire.

Thanks for the feedback. My scores should be coming out by the end of September for CK, and by the end of October for CS. I like to think I did well enough on these (at least around the same level as my step 1), but you don't really know until you get the score back. Would places like UNC or MUSC be enough to qualify as "safety" schools for me (despite the fact that I could see myself picking them over a "top" program depending on how interviews go), or should I find some less competitive places? Trying to avoid applying anywhere I don't have a legitimate interest in if I can.

You'll probably need to apply to around 10 programs, maybe 15 max. I would add Stanford to that list as they have 1 month to do research in 1st year as well as a 1 month course on research methods that year as well. Their research track is phenomenal. Places like Columbia and UCLA are also extremely strong for research, especially with how much time they give you dedicated to it. MGH even though it has a strong name, their clinical training is intensive and may not give you as much research time as other places.

Thanks, UCLA is definitely on my list, and I was leaning toward applying to Columbia and Stanford as well (only reason I wouldn't is cost of living concerns). I have heard about the intensive program at MGH, but I've also heard enough good things on the research side I'm willing to give it a shot. There are a couple other top programs that have excellent clinical training where I won't be applying for essentially that reason though (Hopkins being the most prominent example).

With some updates...
(thank you all in advance !)
Step 1: 239
Step 2 CK/ CS: 260
School: US top 40 school
Class Rank: top 1/3
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system): we have letter grades and also an Honors grade which is obv. above an A. I got honors in everything except neurology
AOA: yes
Research/ Publications: 4 papers (not 1st author) a couple poster presentations. some in psych, some in medicine. did good amount of research at large research center nearby in the summer breaks of college
Extracurriculars: GHHS, president of multiple interest groups, did lots of volunteer work
Quality of LORs if known: fantastic letters from medicine attending and psych attending. big-name research guy at our school writing my other letter and another psych attending who i had a great sub-I with but is definitely harder to read/not the warmest person.
Red flags: none
Where you would like to end up: Harvard, Columbia, Penn
What are my realistic chances of ending up at these ^^ programs?

With some updates...
Clerkship Grades (specify if H/P/F system): we have letter grades and also an Honors grade which is obv. above an A. I got honors in everything except neurology
Research/ Publications: 4 papers (not 1st author) a couple poster presentations. some in psych, some in medicine. did good amount of research at large research center nearby in the summer breaks of college
Extracurriculars: GHHS, president of multiple interest groups, did lots of volunteer work
Quality of LORs if known: fantastic letters from medicine attending and psych attending. big-name research guy at our school writing my other letter and another psych attending who i had a great sub-I with but is definitely harder to read/not the warmest person.

Huh, never heard of that grading scale. But sounds like you did well with it!
It looks like there's a lot going for you, so unless we're missing some minor red flag, I'd imagine you'd get interviews at those programs you like (in my humble opinion as a applicant myself), and from then out may depend more on interview with goodness of fit? Best of luck though!

I think Cincy is a safety school for you, honestly. Otherwise you sound like a fantastic fit for Pitt on paper.
That's a good thing since I really like what Pitt has to offer, too! I'll probably add Cincy as well then. Thanks clausewitz!

With some updates...

You will have your pick of those programs, except Harvard isn't a residency program so I'm assuming you're referring to one of their 5 affiliated residency programs. So very realistic.

Hello all. Thank you for all these information+advice! Long time lurker here and just applied for 2018 Match. My Step score ain't so hot:/

Step 1: 192...
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Pass
School: Top 3 Carib
Class Rank: bottom half maybe? GPA 3.3
Grades in Clerkship: A's and B+'s
AOA: N/A
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2nd author on a book chapter, 3 poster presentation, did research in Johns Hopkins U, journal article with team of JHU phds already submitted and currently being peer-reviewed.
Majored Psychology in undergrad. Was a resident advisor so I counseled lots of college students (and busted parties). VP for oncology club, did volunteer work with Peds club on the island. Did my Psych core clerkship in an urban community hospital in NYC; worked with substance abuse patients during my CDU clerkship; did a clinical internship with a bipolar FM physician. Included some of these experiences in my PS, Good LoRs, no bad comments on MSPE.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc):
1. US-IMG
2. 192 Step 1 + 212 Step 2
3. T/W for step studying:/
4. Low scores/pass in 1st and 2nd year.
Overview of where you want to end up: I'm so nervous I applied to 110 programs. I don't really care where I go, but does anyone have any suggestions what programs these stats can get me into? I'm interested in academic psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and child/adolescent psych.

Thank you!

In case this helps anyone-I matched last year, am currently PGY1. Here are my scores and where I got interviews, might help you gauge your competiveness.

Us MD- known school but not top school
Top1/3 of class
Step 1-234, step 2-245, CS pass 1st try
Gold humanism
2 psych letters, 1 Medicine, 1 neurology

Stanford
Upenn
BIDMC
Cambridge health
Nyu
Mt. Sinai (all 3)
Maryland
Emory
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Einstein
Hofstra
Brown
Dartmouth

Did not get mgh, Yale, columbia, northwestern, Brigham

I wanted northeast obviously lol

I matched at my top choice

Any questions about these lemme know

Reactions: 1 users
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking it this week, practice was a 254 / CS = Pass 1st Attempt
School: Central Europe, but I'm a US Citizen and native English speaker.
Class Rank: top 1/4.
Clerkship Grades: Highest marks in Psych and a few others.
Research/ Publications: None.
Extracurriculars: Student organizations. Lots of basic sciences tutoring. I worked as a computer programmer for years before medicine. I played poker for a living for a while too.
Quality of LORs if known: Very good. Psych is unfortunately the blandest, he told me to write my own and then said I was too modest.
Red flags: YOG 2013. I finished medical school and immediately had a family medical emergency. I had to manage the family business until it could be wound down. I think it's severely damaged my application, but it had to be done. I just hope it hasn't sunk me.
Where you would like to end up: Literally anywhere. I'd be happy absolutely anywhere.

I'm not applying for any other specialties. I'm only interested in psych. If this match cycle doesn't work. I'll spend a year working in the UK, and try for one more cycle.

Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking it this week, practice was a 254 / CS = Pass 1st Attempt
School: Central Europe, but I'm a US Citizen and native English speaker.
Class Rank: top 1/4.
Clerkship Grades: Highest marks in Psych and a few others.
Research/ Publications: None.
Extracurriculars: Student organizations. Lots of basic sciences tutoring. I worked as a computer programmer for years before medicine. I played poker for a living for a while too.
Quality of LORs if known: Very good. Psych is unfortunately the blandest, he told me to write my own and then said I was too modest.
Red flags: YOG 2013. I finished medical school and immediately had a family medical emergency. I had to manage the family business until it could be wound down. I think it's severely damaged my application, but it had to be done. I just hope it hasn't sunk me.
Where you would like to end up: Literally anywhere. I'd be happy absolutely anywhere.
My main concern is your lack of a step 2 score for which you have no excuse. This will hurt you more than anything. You need to be ECFMG certified to be considered by any decent program and most shady ones. Essentially your application is incomplete until you are ECFMG certified (typically takes a week or so after getting your USMLE scores) and I would not expect you to get (m)any interviews until then. Graduation of 2013 is not ideal if you have not been practicing at all in the mean time. Do you have any US clinical experience? ideally from when you were a med student?

My main concern is your lack of a step 2 score for which you have no excuse. This will hurt you more than anything. You need to be ECFMG certified to be considered by any decent program and most shady ones. Essentially your application is incomplete until you are ECFMG certified (typically takes a week or so after getting your USMLE scores) and I would not expect you to get (m)any interviews until then. Graduation of 2013 is not ideal if you have not been practicing at all in the mean time. Do you have any US clinical experience? ideally from when you were a med student?

I did an observership in a private practice with a pediatrician earlier this year. It was all I could arrange in the area. She wrote me a great letter, she was happy with me. I didn't realize the timing on CK was so essential, I think you're right and it really will end up hurting me. That's a self-inflicted wound. I was focused on winding down the business, I let it slip. I thought some programs would extend interviews without it. In retrospect it seems like an obvious error.

Is there anything you think I can do to improve any of this? Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Step 1: 225
Step 2 CK/ CS: 239
School: DO school
Class Rank: Middle
Clerkship Grades Pass
Research/ Publications: 3 abstracts, none psych related unfortunately
Extracurriculars: Volunteer work, some research
Quality of LORs if known: One letter from medicine definitely quality. Hopefully one more psych quality letter. Third letter not sure and still waiting for one from an attending
Where you would like to end up: Somewhere where I'll get great training

Am I screwed? Seeing the caliber of people i nthis topic I don't feel good

Clerkship Grades Pass
Quality of LORs if known: One letter from medicine definitely quality. Hopefully one more psych quality letter. Third letter not sure and still waiting for one from an attending

Gonna need to at least endorse some preferences to get more useful specific suggestions. I think in general if you were an MD you would be pretty close to the median psych applicant and thus fine.

@Dharma probably can adjust for DO-relevant factors.

Reactions: 1 user
Clerkship Grades Pass

Thanks for the cue @clausewitz2.

Far from screwed. As a DO, you will not have much interest from the so-called upper-tier programs although an interview invite is not out of the question. That said, you are in the running for the vast majority of university programs out there, dependent upon location.

What part of the country would you like to end up in? Location is a huge factor when it comes to competitiveness.

Remember (or learn) the rule of relative 1/3s when determining your interview schedule: 1/3 reach, 1/3 reasonable, 1/3 safety. 'Relative' is key... "One man's ceiling is another man's floor." As a DO, regardless of scores, grades, letters... well, we're not exactly starting in the penthouse.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the cue @clausewitz2.

Far from screwed. As a DO, you will not have much interest from the so-called upper-tier programs although an interview invite is not out of the question. That said, you are in the running for the vast majority of university programs out there, dependent upon location.

What part of the country would you like to end up in? Location is a huge factor when it comes to competitiveness.

Remember (or learn) the rule of relative 1/3s when determining your interview schedule: 1/3 reach, 1/3 reasonable, 1/3 safety. 'Relative' is key... "One man's ceiling is another man's floor." As a DO, regardless of scores, grades, letters... well, we're not exactly starting in the penthouse.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am originally from the NE and would like to possibly practice in Manhattan, or I'd be happy in the Southeast as well I think. Thank you again.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am originally from the NE and would like to possibly practice in Manhattan, or I'd be happy in the Southeast as well I think. Thank you again.
Your chances in NYC- especially Manhattan- are pretty slim. You may have a chance at one of the more community based programs (SLR, BE) especially if you rotated (and did well) there. Outer borough programs are within reach. (So, Maimo, SIU. Other places you will be in the game for in Manhattan or other boroughs not worth mentioning IMO). Even Northwell (formerly NS-LIJ) is becoming a reach for DOs the last 2 cycles and will likely remain so.

Step 1: 243, COmlex 1 620
Step 2 CK/ CS: 251, comlex 2 600
School: Unranked DO school
Class Rank:top 1/3
Clerkship Grades:
Average HP with H in psych and neuro
AOA: N/a
Research/ Publications:6 publications, 3 poster presentation, 2 more projects in the works(manuscript writing)
Extracurriculars: Extensive, officer in multiple clubs, started one of my own and several other initiatives. Leading own research initiatives in 4th year.
Quality of LORs if known: As far as I know they are all very strong, Read 2 of them and they are A++. All but one from major academic centers.
Red flags: Not that I know of...
Where you would like to end up:California,sparing that any major academic program so I can do research

No interviews yet, not sure if I am just being rediculous

Step 1: 243, COmlex 1 620
Step 2 CK/ CS: 251, comlex 2 600
School: Unranked DO school
Class Rank:top 1/3
Clerkship Grades:
Average HP with H in psych and neuro
AOA: N/a
Research/ Publications:6 publications, 3 poster presentation, 2 more projects in the works(manuscript writing)
Extracurriculars: Extensive, officer in multiple clubs, started one of my own and several other initiatives. Leading own research initiatives in 4th year.
Quality of LORs if known: As far as I know they are all very strong, Read 2 of them and they are A++. All but one from major academic centers.
Red flags: Not that I know of...
Where you would like to end up:California,sparing that any major academic program so I can do research

No interviews yet, not sure if I am just being rediculous
It's still very early, only a minority of invites have gone out.
Looks like you have a strong application but hopefully you didn't apply exclusively to top programs.

It's still very early, only a minority of invites have gone out.
Looks like you have a strong application but hopefully you didn't apply exclusively to top programs.
No sir, I applied to about 15 high ranked programs, 30 mid range, 12 low tier. I basically added all the programs I liked and dropped all the ones that had no DO residents with exception of Beth Israel, Uni of Chicago, and Stanford. Kept UCSF as well since they gave me an audition and have taken a DO here and there. I was hoping that my long research resume would open those doors.

Hello all. Thank you for all these information+advice! Long time lurker here and just applied for 2018 Match. My Step score ain't so hot:/

Step 1: 192...
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Pass
School: Top 3 Carib
Class Rank: bottom half maybe? GPA 3.3
Grades in Clerkship: A's and B+'s
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2nd author on a book chapter, 3 poster presentation, did research in Johns Hopkins U, journal article with team of JHU phds already submitted and currently being peer-reviewed.
Majored Psychology in undergrad. Was a resident advisor so I counseled lots of college students (and busted parties). VP for oncology club, did volunteer work with Peds club on the island. Did my Psych core clerkship in an urban community hospital in NYC; worked with substance abuse patients during my CDU clerkship; did a clinical internship with a bipolar FM physician. Included some of these experiences in my PS, Good LoRs, no bad comments on MSPE.
Red Flags: (step failures, etc):
1. US-IMG
2. 192 Step 1 + 212 Step 2
3. T/W for step studying:/
4. Low scores/pass in 1st and 2nd year.
Overview of where you want to end up: I'm so nervous I applied to 110 programs. I don't really care where I go, but does anyone have any suggestions what programs these stats can get me into? I'm interested in academic psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and child/adolescent psych.

Thank you!

Just due to the fact that you were a Resident advisor in college and "busted" parties.

I hope you don't match.

Just due to the fact that you were a Resident advisor in college and "busted" parties.

I hope you don't match.
Sometimes I wish this forum had a "dislike" button.

Reactions: 2 users
In case this helps anyone-I matched last year, am currently PGY1. Here are my scores and where I got interviews, might help you gauge your competiveness.

Us MD- known school but not top school
Top1/3 of class
Step 1-234, step 2-245, CS pass 1st try
Gold humanism
2 psych letters, 1 Medicine, 1 neurology

Stanford
Upenn
BIDMC
Cambridge health
Nyu
Mt. Sinai (all 3)
Maryland
Emory
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Einstein
Hofstra
Brown
Dartmouth

Did not get mgh, Yale, columbia, northwestern, Brigham

I wanted northeast obviously lol

I matched at my top choice

Any questions about these lemme know

Did you have research/pubs/presentations?
Extracurricular?
Grades?

Sorry for all the questions but my stats are similar to yours and I’m interested in many of the schools you mentioned