TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I think It may be too early for this, but curious to know who's writing on this date. Join this thread and let's share knowledge/experience and blow this test out of the water!!

dollarbill

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
woot woot...

im in on this. Just sent my order form on saturday for the BR books.

I'm going to be following sn2 3 month study plan!!!

Hopefully this will be the last time I ever have to think about this test

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
woot woot...

im in on this. Just sent my order form on saturday for the BR books.

I'm going to be following sn2 3 month study plan!!!

Hopefully this will be the last time I ever have to think about this test
right on. Same here, I am placing an order for BR Phys and Orgo sometime this month and then ill be set. I agree. Let's do it right this time and forget about it.

Last edited:

dollarbill

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
awesome. I ordered the BR physics, chem, orgo, and bio. Im also getting examkrackers 101 verbal. Im really excited about having the passages from the BR books. I took a kaplan course and the review books had no passages in them and now looking back we hardly worked on any. I'm excited that each chapter has like 9-12 passages. I just finished my degree in bio so im focusing on studying for this test, volunteer work, shadowing, and my job for the next 4-5 months.

yetstillirise

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
taking it on this date also!!! Plan on enrolling in a kaplan prep course...

Online or in class? Any tips?

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
taking it on this date also!!! Plan on enrolling in a kaplan prep course...

Online or in class? Any tips?
Don't know, i guess it boils down to how you study better. I am not taking any review course and i like to study at my own pace. As a matter of fact i feel review courses are counterproductive for me. I feel i waste a lot of time when i cannot tailor the study to my own needs. The great advantage is the access you would have to tons of questions, etc...my two cents.

achaverta

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm shooting for 4/29 but relying on the ability of pushing it to may.
Ordered EK book set, and still deciding if I should do kaplan or homestudy.
Any thoughts either way?

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I'm shooting for 4/29 but relying on the ability of pushing it to may.
Ordered EK book set, and still deciding if I should do kaplan or homestudy.
Any thoughts either way?
i like the fact that there's those two may tests as well, they are still early in the game. Like I said i gues it boils down to how you feel you study better. do you need a structured program? or can you structure your own schedule and follow it on your own? it's up to you. Saving 2k is not a bad idea either. I have ordered BR have some old PR stuff and have EK 1001 chem,bio and phys. Haven't started on those yet but i will.

dollarbill

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Like I stated earlier...I'm using sn2 study guide and mostly focusing on passages which is why I pick up TBR books. I think that is really key to doing well on the mcat is reviewing the material but mostly focusing on passages. The mcat isn't like any other test were you get a question and just memorize the answer. You really have to work on your critical thinking skills. So I believe you should do as many passages as possible. TBR have 9-12 passages after each chapter and you should do the aamc tests as well.

Also, I took the kaplan course for those of you that are wondering if you should take it. I will not put the course down. The online resources were above par. However, I did not like the lack of passages that were available. There were non in the review books and you only got like 3 per chapter when you had class. I also had family issues when I took the class so i can not speak on how good the kaplan tests are. Finally, I think kaplans verbal is way off. It is nothing like the mcat. That is my .02 cent for you guys.

Still waiting for my BR books to be shipped than Im ready to get this party started!!!!

Nov 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm signed up for the 29th as well! I'm doing Sn2ed's 3 month plan and praying I don't need the 4 months to study. I should start my studying around the 20th of this month and if all goes well I'll switch my date to the 9th if I can find a seat. Let's knock this out on the first attempt, it's too much of a headache to even think about doing it again.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
ok so I should be receiving the rest of my BR materials anytime now. looking forward to that! and yes MCVkid i agree its better to move the test to a closer date than postpone it. In any case take it when you really feel comfortable with it and your FL's say so.

Last edited:

aburnet2

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2010
Happy Place, Living the Deam
Status
Medical Student
I am also planning on taking the test this day. It will be my second time taking it. The first time I did the self study plan but with my workaholic attitude and money needs I fell short with the self discipline. So I did not do so hot. I did try to enroll in the Kaplan course but twice they cancelled it on me due to low enrollment. Therefore I say screw Kaplan! Now I am relying on about two months of self study and the TPR course. Hopefully this will be my successful study strategy. I heavily agree with the passage based study idea. I did about 90% concept review and it earned me a crappy score so passage based practice is crucial to success!!!!! Don't underestimate the need to practice applying the concepts. I believe that was my downfall. So with the course I think it will help. I will also try to get some BR verbal books. Is BR stuff really worth the money?

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I am also planning on taking the test this day. It will be my second time taking it. The first time I did the self study plan but with my workaholic attitude and money needs I fell short with the self discipline. So I did not do so hot. I did try to enroll in the Kaplan course but twice they cancelled it on me due to low enrollment. Therefore I say screw Kaplan! Now I am relying on about two months of self study and the TPR course. Hopefully this will be my successful study strategy. I heavily agree with the passage based study idea. I did about 90% concept review and it earned me a crappy score so passage based practice is crucial to success!!!!! Don't underestimate the need to practice applying the concepts. I believe that was my downfall. So with the course I think it will help. I will also try to get some BR verbal books. Is BR stuff really worth the money?
hey welcome to the thread! Well regarding the BR books questions i have bought gchem and bio and waiting to get phys and orgo delivered by fedex. in my experience and for so many others here, yes they are worth it, if anything for the passages,tricks and solid content. I personally think TPRH is pretty good too, but i am liking BR better. HOWEVER, don't buy the VR section of BR...or so i hear. I have bought and will start sometime next year 101 EK book and TPRH verbal workbook. When do you plan to start your content review?

dollarbill

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey bros, excited to tell you that I got my BR books this past friday and did Day 1 of the SN2 mcat schedule. I was going to start on 1/1/2011 but I figure I get a head start on Physics and Gen Chem since those are my weak areas. I must say...so far I'm super impressed. I really enjoyed reading the BR book. I felt like the book is written like you have a personal professor sitting there and talking to you. Also, they give some pretty sick tips for easy calculations...I actually got upset that KAPLAN didn't share any of these for the $$$ that it cost to take the class compared to these books! arrrrr!

Good point aburnet...concept questions are still important to hit. I believe the EK 1001 are very good for this. I'm going to go check those out and will get back to you.

TX I saw another post you made and I must say after doing 4 passages from the BR physics it's pretty darn close to the real thing. I think the passages that I've done have been on the short side compared to the real thing but the questions that they ask are spot on to the real thing...conceptual w/ a few math here and there.

Keep ya updated and and ? let me know!!!!

LETS GET'R DONE BOYS!!!!!

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
TX I saw another post you made and I must say after doing 4 passages from the BR physics it's pretty darn close to the real thing. I think the passages that I've done have been on the short side compared to the real thing but the questions that they ask are spot on to the real thing...conceptual w/ a few math here and there.

hey what up dollarbill, glad you got your books and you are enjoying them man. There's nothing wrong in starting to study earlier right? Mine should be here this week i hope. Hey what do you mean when you say the passages are on the short side but the questions are spot on. Do you refer to the questions asked within the chapter itself, those short problems at the end of each topic?
Thanks dollar and good luck

TXK

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student

Nevermid dollar I got it man...

shha16

RN2MD
Oct 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also planning to take the exam on the 29th. Btw work and school I'm not sure how much time I will have for studying!!! Lets stay motivated!!

shha16

RN2MD
Oct 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys--- I'm kind of new at this... I am also scheduled to take the test on the 29th of April. I have purchased kaplan books and EK 1001 (all subjects). I have one pre-req left, ochem II. I'm getting really nervous. I'm trying to find time to study between work and school... :rolleyes:

shha16

RN2MD
Oct 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
LOL- So I've tried to post 3x already and I haven't seen my post yet!! LOL Hopefully, this one works... Yes, I am new at this... Anyway take 4- I am a non traditional student scheduled to take the exam on the 29th of April. I have purchased kaplan books and EK 1001 (all subjects). I am getting really nervous. I have one more pre-req, ochem II. I just need to find the time to study btw work and school!!!

Aug 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Doing the same 4 month plan but working part time on weekends. Still having trouble keeping up because of holidays. Accidently got mailed an extra set of BR books. I'm gonna order later the CBT tests for BR and then AAMC.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Doing the same 4 month plan but working part time on weekends. Still having trouble keeping up because of holidays. Accidently got mailed an extra set of BR books. I'm gonna order later the CBT tests for BR and then AAMC.
Welcome to this thread. Hey, got extra BR orgo?

deep122

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
I'm planning on taking this exam, but I guess we'll see how the semester goes. Are you guys gonna be in school as you study?

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I'm planning on taking this exam, but I guess we'll see how the semester goes. Are you guys gonna be in school as you study?
Hey, welcome to this thread and jump in this boat! I am not going full time to school. I work full time 40+ hrs and I'm only going to take biochem (spring) on T and TH evenings. So I'll be kinda busy too.

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Yeah I'm doing full-time in a graduate pharmacology master's program at USF (FL), so I am going to have to take the test on 4/29 before finals start.

This will be my third attempt:
May 2010- 24P (10P-08B-06V)
August 2010- 29O (08P-10B-10V).

Does anybody know how many schools take the best scores from each section? I'd have a 30 for those.

Happy Studying everyone! :cool:

MidnightSun32

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm taking the test this day too and will be in school. I took a lighter load so I would have time to study though. I bought the BR books, but haven't really looked through them yet. I hope they are helpful like everyone says. :) I'm already getting nervous about this whole thing :(

deep122

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
I'm taking the test this day too and will be in school. I took a lighter load so I would have time to study though. I bought the BR books, but haven't really looked through them yet. I hope they are helpful like everyone says. :) I'm already getting nervous about this whole thing :(
Yeah, I'm taking a lighter load and taking a TRP class. Hopefully I can balance everything.

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just wondering, if you guys are useing AAMC pratice test how did you guys do on the first one test 3. I got a 29 ( 9 PS 10VR 10BS) and this is ok but needs improvement.
Also should I expect a slow but steady improvement with each test if I study properly or will the score not change much? I really just want to break 32 and I think 29 on the first practice test is a first step on the way there.

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
I think the more you see an exam the more you familiarize yourself with the question style/layout. That said, consistent and effective practice will increase your chance of scoring better, IMO. For example, I went from a 6V (24 overall) to a 10V (29 overall) just by taking the real exam twice.

Breaking 32 is certainly achievable, happy studying!

Just wondering, if you guys are useing AAMC pratice test how did you guys do on the first one test 3. I got a 29 ( 9 PS 10VR 10BS) and this is ok but needs improvement.
Also should I expect a slow but steady improvement with each test if I study properly or will the score not change much? I really just want to break 32 and I think 29 on the first practice test is a first step on the way there.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I'm doing full-time in a graduate pharmacology master's program at USF (FL), so I am going to have to take the test on 4/29 before finals start.

This will be my third attempt:
May 2010- 24P (10P-08B-06V)
August 2010- 29O (08P-10B-10V).

Does anybody know how many schools take the best scores from each section? I'd have a 30 for those.

Happy Studying everyone! :cool:
Welcome Anthro....by the way was your undergrad in anthropology by any chance?.. well talking about finals I am taking biochem during the spring and I have to do well enough in the class so i don't have to take the final (it's optional if you have an A in the course up to that point) because 4/29 is my biochem final too and of course the MCAT...meaning I can't be both places at the same time...we'll see.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I think the more you see an exam the more you familiarize yourself with the question style/layout. That said, consistent and effective practice will increase your chance of scoring better, IMO. For example, I went from a 6V (24 overall) to a 10V (29 overall) just by taking the real exam twice.

Breaking 32 is certainly achievable, happy studying!
you made a pretty good jump there from 6 to 10...how did you improve so much, just by having tested again or did you practice heavily?

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I recently got BR, like them a lot...Welcome to the thread.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
hey worldchanger i think 29 is a pretty good score for being your first test. I took AAMC 3 on September. I took it cold- that is no studying,reviewing,etc whatsoever - this is after being out of school for 6 years...I scored a 24:
PS-7
VS-8
BS-9
so I kinda set my strategy around my perceived weaknesses...I am pretty sure you will improve as you go...good luck

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
Sure was, I graduated May of this year with a BA in Anthropology. That's rough having both exams on the same day. Doing well in Biochem is good for med school because it's only recommended but shows that you can handle some intense stuff. There is this grad class I just finished that is ridiculous: each exam is like covering an entire undergrad bio class. The first test was all biochemistry (I nailed it), second test was all genetics, third test was kinda new with PM receptor biology, fourth was eukaryotic cell structure, and the final was embryology and immunology. Needless to say, I think I am going to demolish the bio part this time around on the MCAT.

As for how I managed to bring up my Verbal from 6 to 10, I shouldn't say I merely registered for a second try. I went over all the EK Verbal 101 Passages again and read the passages as if my girlfriend was reciting them to me. Because I'll be totally honest, the first MCAT I was soooo freakin' bored and annoyed at a couple passages that I lost focus. IMO, reading it to yourself in another person's voice helps keep focus/interest if that's what you're having an issue with.

The Verbal section of the MCAT can be rough if you don't know how to handle time and focus. Practice always helps though! :cool:

Welcome Anthro....by the way was your undergrad in anthropology by any chance?.. well talking about finals I am taking biochem during the spring and I have to do well enough in the class so i don't have to take the final (it's optional if you have an A in the course up to that point) because 4/29 is my biochem final too and of course the MCAT...meaning I can't be both places at the same time...we'll see.

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
TXK do you like the BR Physics so far? I'm trying to see what else is out there besides EK. I've watched a few WikiPreMed lectures and it seems to be pretty helpful for me. I tried the whole in-home Kaplan thing and it was a disastrous waste of time...

I recently got BR, like them a lot...Welcome to the thread.

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey worldchanger i think 29 is a pretty good score for being your first test. I took AAMC 3 on September. I took it cold- that is no studying,reviewing,etc whatsoever - this is after being out of school for 6 years...I scored a 24:
PS-7
VS-8
BS-9
so I kinda set my strategy around my perceived weaknesses...I am pretty sure you will improve as you go...good luck

Thanks. I studied hard for that 29 and I have made notes of my errors and I will take test 4 today to see if I have cleaned them up for good and if any new ones are poping up.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Sure was, I graduated May of this year with a BA in Anthropology. That's rough having both exams on the same day. Doing well in Biochem is good for med school because it's only recommended but shows that you can handle some intense stuff. There is this grad class I just finished that is ridiculous: each exam is like covering an entire undergrad bio class. The first test was all biochemistry (I nailed it), second test was all genetics, third test was kinda new with PM receptor biology, fourth was eukaryotic cell structure, and the final was embryology and immunology. Needless to say, I think I am going to demolish the bio part this time around on the MCAT.

As for how I managed to bring up my Verbal from 6 to 10, I shouldn't say I merely registered for a second try. I went over all the EK Verbal 101 Passages again and read the passages as if my girlfriend was reciting them to me. Because I'll be totally honest, the first MCAT I was soooo freakin' bored and annoyed at a couple passages that I lost focus. IMO, reading it to yourself in another person's voice helps keep focus/interest if that's what you're having an issue with.

The Verbal section of the MCAT can be rough if you don't know how to handle time and focus. Practice always helps though! :cool:
Cool man, Anthropology was my major too! I like cultural better than physical so I kinda focused on cultural/social stuff. Seems you had fun on that graduate class..lol.. I'm pretty confident it will help you on the mcat, sounds like you only need to review your hormones and some systems. I bet your cell and molecular bio are keen...Yeah, I've got the EK 101 and plan to start on those soon, I need lots of practice, I think my main issue is speed...regarding that biochem it's odd but some schools in Texas actually require biochem and statistics, both of which are not common premed req's... I mean I kind of see why biochem but statistics?...do you really need that? oh well...

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I studied hard for that 29 and I have made notes of my errors and I will take test 4 today to see if I have cleaned them up for good and if any new ones are poping up.
Go for it...from what I have read here and talked to friends smart practice makes perfect for the mcat..good luck.

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
Another Anthro major? Nice! Glad to see that we are making our presence known! I kinda like all of anthropology, but the cultural classes I took were amazing. My Aztec and Maya Civ. professor wrote one of my letters, I really enjoyed both those courses. I'm Hispanic so it also brought me back to my roots somewhat lol.

Speed is definitely a constant struggle for me too. However, when you finish the EK 101 Passages I think you'll feel a LOT more comfortable with time. I think part of the reason I got a 6 on the first MCAT was that I didn't finish the last passage. I was able to finish all passages in time for the 10, though.

GOOD LUCK! :cool:

Cool man, Anthropology was my major too! I like cultural better than physical so I kinda focused on cultural/social stuff. Seems you had fun on that graduate class..lol.. I'm pretty confident it will help you on the mcat, sounds like you only need to review your hormones and some systems. I bet your cell and molecular bio are keen...Yeah, I've got the EK 101 and plan to start on those soon, I need lots of practice, I think my main issue is speed.

Last edited:
OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Another Anthro major? Nice! Glad to see that we are making our presence known! I kinda like all of anthropology, but the cultural classes I took were amazing. My Aztec and Maya Civ. professor wrote one of my letters, I really enjoyed both those courses. I'm Hispanic so it also brought me back to my routes somewhat lol.

Speed is definitely a constant struggle for me too. However, when you finish the EK 101 Passages I think you'll feel a LOT more comfortable with time. I think part of the reason I got a 6 on the first MCAT was that I didn't finish the last passage. I was able to finish all passages in time for the 10, though.

GOOD LUCK! :cool:
I know, there are not many of us out there. I took this course on Maya culture too and it was awesome too, some of the smartest professors I had in college were my Anthropology profs...going back to VS, I hope practice pays good for me, sometimes I feel I lose comprehension if I speed up, but can't finish on time if I don't...catch 22

AnthroMD

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Status
Give a whirl at trying to read the passage with a friend's voice in your head. It helped me with speed marginally, but mostly with comprehension when going faster because it's easy to lose focus when speed reading.

I'm curious to see if it works for other people. It surprised me a lot.

I know, there are not many of us out there. I took this course on Maya culture too and it was awesome too, some of the smartest professors I had in college were my Anthropology profs...going back to VS, I hope practice pays good for me, sometimes I feel I lose comprehension if I speed up, but can't finish on time if I don't...catch 22

Aug 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Timing seems to be my biggest problem on MCAT. I'm training to tell myself that if I can't solve it in 2 minutes to move on. Still have those extra BR all science books.

TXKnight what Texas city? I'm from Houston.

OP
TXKnight

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
Timing seems to be my biggest problem on MCAT. I'm training to tell myself that if I can't solve it in 2 minutes to move on. Still have those extra BR all science books.

TXKnight what Texas city? I'm from Houston.
Cool MF I'm from Austin, got some fam in houston. By the way, if given the option would you choose med school in houston vs SA vs UTMB?...just curious. Changing topics, I guess i need to train myself to let go after 2 minutes too. I get stuck with the feeling i can answer q's correctly.

Aug 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Cool MF I'm from Austin, got some fam in houston. By the way, if given the option would you choose med school in houston vs SA vs UTMB?...just curious. Changing topics, I guess i need to train myself to let go after 2 minutes too. I get stuck with the feeling i can answer q's correctly.

UTH> UTMB=UTSA

Biased towards Houston of course bc I'm from there but also bc you intern in the Texas Med Cntr. I hear Galveston has class till noon and SA next year will shorten their core curriculum to 1 1/2 years like Baylor.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Accidently got mailed an extra set of BR books.
Nice luck! Hopefully it's a good omen of the luck you'll have with the exam.

DJack

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
Status
Medical Student
I haven't officially signed up yet, but will be signing up for this date in a couple days! A little nervous because I'm taking the MCAT in April + Kaplan's online course (started in November) + 19 credit (semester) hours. Bad idea? Probably. I'm taking 19 credit hours to get a final boost to my GPA and doing Kaplan to give me a strong studying structure.

Jan 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm favoring SA, then Houston, then UTMB