The Official 4/5/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's kind of already a thread, but this is the official one ;)

I'm registered at 1PM (I think the only time offered on 4/5?) and this is a retake for me.

Using a variation of SN2ed's 3 month schedule (109 days) and started studying a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Whew! Glad to hear the BS and PS were fairly "challenging". I've been studying like crazy since yesterday in panic mode. I feel like I can take some deep breaths and just sort of chug along now.

Yeah, verbal was a bit too straightforward. When I got to the problem that had the word "jackass" in it, I was like... :eek: If the MCAT ever said "jackass", I would kill myself laughing. Not exactly aligned there guys...

Were your science scores a lot better for TBR 2? I thought there was a huge difference in 'do-ability'...Verbal went back to normal though (Maybe lower). 11/9/12. Really really slow progress.

Were your science scores a lot better for TBR 2? I thought there was a huge difference in 'do-ability'...Verbal went back to normal though (Maybe lower). 11/9/12. Really really slow progress.

Work has been craaaaazy lately and I haven't had the time to dedicate to MCATing, as I should. As of yesterday, I officially jumped ship to the May 12th date, lol.

I'll probably end up taking it this weekend, so I'll let ya know! And congrats on your progress! Progress is still progress. :D

Work has been craaaaazy lately and I haven't had the time to dedicate to MCATing, as I should. As of yesterday, I officially jumped ship to the May 12th date, lol.

I'll probably end up taking it this weekend, so I'll let ya know! And congrats on your progress! Progress is still progress. :D

Ah! sad to see that you're no longer on the May 5th date man...but with that said, my scores for TBR 3 dropped across the board but came up again with TBR 4. Can't break a 32 on TBR CBTs. Anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
How's prep coming along people? I've got the BR books and been doing some review--but I haven't been following sn2ed's schedule. I've been super busy with school and have been nervous not having enough time to study. Took my first practice exam today--AAMC #7--and did better than I expected: 8/15/10.

I haven't been reviewing at all for verbal, it's always been my strong suit (recently took the GRE and had 99th %-ile for their verbal)--but I need to start focusing on physical sciences.

I'm happy with a 33 but I'm applying MD/PhD (in anthropology--being involved in social science most likely explains my strength in verbal) so I'm hoping to get it up a bit higher to compete with those other crazy people.

Anyway, time to hit BR physics and gen chem review and passages hard.

How's prep coming along people? I've got the BR books and been doing some review--but I haven't been following sn2ed's schedule. I've been super busy with school and have been nervous not having enough time to study. Took my first practice exam today--AAMC #7--and did better than I expected: 8/15/10.

I haven't been reviewing at all for verbal, it's always been my strong suit (recently took the GRE and had 99th %-ile for their verbal)--but I need to start focusing on physical sciences.

I'm happy with a 33 but I'm applying MD/PhD (in anthropology--being involved in social science most likely explains my strength in verbal) so I'm hoping to get it up a bit higher to compete with those other crazy people.

Anyway, time to hit BR physics and gen chem review and passages hard.
Holy crap dude, your verbal is awesome. Very jealous of your verbal! I can't seem to get higher than an 11 on verbal...any specific strategies that you use?

Holy crap dude, your verbal is awesome. Very jealous of your verbal! I can't seem to get higher than an 11 on verbal...any specific strategies that you use?

Man I really haven't studied verbal so I don't know what to tell you as far as strategies go. I am applying for MD/PhD programs in Anthropology, and all of my undergraduate research is in Anthropology. So I've spent the last 3 years reading things like Arthur Kleinman, Foucault, Talal Asad, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Stanley Cavell, Veena Das, hundreds of academic journal articles in anthropology, critical theory, etc., and other really dense theoretical work. I've also written hundreds of pages of papers. And I don't have a TV, so most of my media entertainment also comes from reading fun adventure novels or things like that.

So it's really not an MCAT prep thing, it's a different background thing. Just like some student who did a lot of work in physics and math as an undergrad will dominate me in the physical sciences section.

How much time do you have left before your MCAT? If it's a good amount of time, I would suggest downloading some academic articles in the social sciences or humanities and trying to work through reading those. The more you read things that you really have to push yourself to follow, the better you will get at this kind of stuff. You can PM me if you like for some suggestions on where to start here.

If your MCAT is soon, I would just suggest practicing as many verbal passages as you can, and reviewing them to try to see where and why you misread or misinterpreted the passage. There seems to be a consensus that TPR hyperlearning verbal workbook is a great resource.

Man I really haven't studied verbal so I don't know what to tell you as far as strategies go. I am applying for MD/PhD programs in Anthropology, and all of my undergraduate research is in Anthropology. So I've spent the last 3 years reading things like Arthur Kleinman, Foucault, Talal Asad, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Stanley Cavell, Veena Das, hundreds of academic journal articles in anthropology, critical theory, etc., and other really dense theoretical work. I've also written hundreds of pages of papers. And I don't have a TV, so most of my media entertainment also comes from reading fun adventure novels or things like that.

So it's really not an MCAT prep thing, it's a different background thing. Just like some student who did a lot of work in physics and math as an undergrad will dominate me in the physical sciences section.

How much time do you have left before your MCAT? If it's a good amount of time, I would suggest downloading some academic articles in the social sciences or humanities and trying to work through reading those. The more you read things that you really have to push yourself to follow, the better you will get at this kind of stuff. You can PM me if you like for some suggestions on where to start here.

If your MCAT is soon, I would just suggest practicing as many verbal passages as you can, and reviewing them to try to see where and why you misread or misinterpreted the passage. There seems to be a consensus that TPR hyperlearning verbal workbook is a great resource.
That's some dense stuff! I'm actually a History/Biochem double major myself...that means I'm really good at historical passages but as soon as it involves anything that doesn't interest me, I'm screwed. I'm taking the MCAT on April 5th so I have about 2 weeks before the MCAT so I think that I'm just going to do as much practice as I can and as many practice tests as I can. Idk. When are you taking the test? The 5th?

That's some dense stuff! I'm actually a History/Biochem double major myself...that means I'm really good at historical passages but as soon as it involves anything that doesn't interest me, I'm screwed. I'm taking the MCAT on April 5th so I have about 2 weeks before the MCAT so I think that I'm just going to do as much practice as I can and as many practice tests as I can. Idk. When are you taking the test? The 5th?

Yeah, I'm taking it on the 5th also. If I had been paying attention I would have realized this was the 4/5/2012 thread and wouldn't have been clueless about when you were taking it! :)

For me priorities are general chem, physics, and organic chem (in that order). I'll probably not do any more verbal or bio prep since there's so little time left anyway. I'm going to try to take 4-5 more practice FL's over the next couple weeks as well.

Yeah, I'm taking it on the 5th also. If I had been paying attention I would have realized this was the 4/5/2012 thread and wouldn't have been clueless about when you were taking it! :)

For me priorities are general chem, physics, and organic chem (in that order). I'll probably not do any more verbal or bio prep since there's so little time left anyway. I'm going to try to take 4-5 more practice FL's over the next couple weeks as well.

Sounds good! PS is a nightmare. If I can score an 11-12 PS 10 V and 12-13 BS I'd be ecstatic. You're lucky that Verbal scores hold your score up! The rest of us need to get that sort of support from other sources :(

2 weeks left! Is everyone getting ready to get this test over with? Everyone where they want to be progress-wise?

Had a killer week at school. Virology exam Tuesday, research conference presentation Wednesday, Med Micro exam yesterday, Stats exam today. So I didn't do as much physical sciences prep as I wanted :(

I'm hearing all the echoes of the advice to not take the MCAT during school, haha. Have another conference presentation in Baltimore next Friday, and I'll be staying in DC until Monday. So I'm trying to work in science review whenever I can. I'm going to try to do another full-length tonight after dinner. Will report back on how it goes!

Good luck with the final prep everyone! Remember it's 50% confidence--we are going to crush this test. The 4/5/12 MCAT thread will go down in SDN history as The Thread of the MCAT Giants. ;)

Well I just finished AAMC FL #8 -- 9/14/11. So pretty consistent with my previous score but 1 point higher. Hard to say if that means anything but I'm happy with it! Maybe I can bump it up a couple more points before the exam!

Keep at it ladies and gents!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just finished AAMC FL #8 -- 9/14/11. So pretty consistent with my previous score but 1 point higher. Hard to say if that means anything but I'm happy with it! Maybe I can bump it up a couple more points before the exam!

Nice. I'll be taking 8R tomorrow!

Nice going! I went from a 12/12/9 on TBR 6 to 10/8/11 on TBR 7. Think it was a lack of sleep and just relative exhaustion on TBR 7. Hopefully, when I start taking AAMCs (7-11) on Sunday, things will get better. Good luck on your exam MedPR!

dap, could you tell me how you are approaching the questions in the sciences? You obviously have a very high analytical ability after hearing your verbal scores. Are you retaining equations, working the problems, or relying mainly on the passage info and test taking skillls, etc?

I have a strong verbal as well, but it's been a long time since I've had the basic sciences. I rescheduled to May 19th to give me some more practice time for the actual exam.

I need some insight from anyone that can offer anything. I have taken all the AAMCs before last August (roughly 7 months ago). I decided to retake them and took AAMC 7 today. I pretty much didn't remember anything, not even the passages. The first time I took it, I received a 11/10/10. Today I got a 15/11/14. I mean I am overjoyed, but does this score have any chance of being a legitimate score? Another thing to note is that I barely went over my exam the first time I took it.

I need some insight from anyone that can offer anything. I have taken all the AAMCs before last August (roughly 7 months ago). I decided to retake them and took AAMC 7 today. I pretty much didn't remember anything, not even the passages. The first time I took it, I received a 11/10/10. Today I got a 15/11/14. I mean I am overjoyed, but does this score have any chance of being a legitimate score? Another thing to note is that I barely went over my exam the first time I took it.

I had a similar situation back when I took it in January. The first time I took the AAMCs before my test in August, I was somewhere between the 29-31 range for most of them (bleah...verbal:eek:). When I srarted retaking them before my January test date, I was scoring in the mid 30s. Eventually, I ended up with a 33 :) so I would say its somewhere in the middle

I had a similar situation back when I took it in January. The first time I took the AAMCs before my test in August, I was somewhere between the 29-31 range for most of them (bleah...verbal:eek:). When I srarted retaking them before my January test date, I was scoring in the mid 30s. Eventually, I ended up with a 33 :) so I would say its somewhere in the middle

Thanks! It's nice to have someone who's been there before share their experiences.

Getting really close to exam day! 9 days left! I took AAMC 8 and thought it was really tough. Anyone have any plans for how they'll review in the final week?

t- 8 days!
Taking AAMC 11 today and #10 on saturday. Broad review on tuesday and wednesday to relax

And geez, april 5th seems to be the least popular testing data on sdn

t- 8 days!
Taking AAMC 11 today and #10 on saturday. Broad review on tuesday and wednesday to relax

And geez, april 5th seems to be the least popular testing data on sdn

Agreed. I resigned myself to thinking that no one is taking the test on this day. I'm taking AAMC 9, 10, 11 every other day starting tomorrow. Are you still putting passages from practice books into your routine or just letting the testing be the main practice? I'm a little worried that my calculations will get a bit rusty...:thumbdown:

I'm still wrapping up the Berkeley review passages begrudgingly, as well as some extra verbal passages every day
AAMC 11 BS had me so incredibly bored i didn't care what I got.

There must be some people taking it, I couldn't sign up in CA for it until 2 weeks ago.

I'm still wrapping up the Berkeley review passages begrudgingly, as well as some extra verbal passages every day
AAMC 11 BS had me so incredibly bored i didn't care what I got.

There must be some people taking it, I couldn't sign up in CA for it until 2 weeks ago.

Ah interesting. Glad you got a spot! Looks like you're a night owl like me as well. haha and AAMC 11 BS is very similar to what I saw when I took the test, except I came out of the real test thinking that I bombed the BS section. It was extremely difficult compared to anything that I had ever seen. The TBR CBTs come closest in types of questions that were on the test. I haven't finished my final 3rd of the TBR passages, but I don't think that I will. At this point, all that I'm doing is taking tests, making flashcards of concepts that I get wrong on the tests, make more flashcards from my notes and go over them during my free time. It's gotten to the point that I have close to 500...which takes me an extremely long time to plod through. Have to say though, it's been a pretty good strategy because my PS scores have gone up meteorically.

First timer on SDN : ) With how busy my schedule is, i hope I don't regret signing up for the April 5th test as opposed to waiting until May. Just one more week to go!. I hope everybody is feeling ready by now. We can do this!

Yeah, i also realized i still have the aamc official guide to go through (which is about one fl), and that the TBR bio books have "diagnostics full sections" at the end of each half of bio. I guess I have to go through those now too huh...

Studyings just been boring as **** for the past month, anyone else feel that way?

Uyy this feels like its approaching WAY too quickly, Freaking out Stage 1

I need to take 4 FL's before the real thing still...

Its comin up guys!!! I'm ready to f**k this thing up!!!!!!!!!!! Still takin FL's every other day, saving aamc 11 for next wednesday

OMG ONE WEEK PEOPLE.

About to start #10, and will be doing #11 in 2 days. I'm worried because I haven't hit neither the min nor max (obviously) score I want. But I'm going through with it anyways because... I just don't want to study anymore after April 5th. Unless I fail. Oh God.

Yeah, i also realized i still have the aamc official guide to go through (which is about one fl), and that the TBR bio books have "diagnostics full sections" at the end of each half of bio. I guess I have to go through those now too huh...

Studyings just been boring as **** for the past month, anyone else feel that way?

Moosher that's a really good point. I should go through that diagnostic as well. Nice! I agree that studying is terrible. About to start AAMC 9 right now so hope things go as well on this one as they did on 7 & 8. Good luck everyone!:thumbup:

Yikes, I'm just chilling the day before

Yeah, its more to get my body in the groove. I just want my 35 on test day. Have scored as high as 38 on a Kaplan.

Are Kaplan's easier or the same as the real? I've been hearing different things.

Is it just me or AAMC R versions are much harder and steeply curved than the CBT version..? I get consistent 11s on PS and BS on CBT but barely get 9s on the R version.. wtf

Yeah, its more to get my body in the groove. I just want my 35 on test day. Have scored as high as 38 on a Kaplan.

Are Kaplan's easier or the same as the real? I've been hearing different things.

Idk about Kaplan's in particular but generally test prep companies offer harder tests. If you're scoring around a 35-38 on those, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. To put it in perspective, I scored anywhere from 27-33 on TBR CBTs and I've gotten 40 (AAMC 7), 37 (AAMC 8), and 38 (AAMC 9).

Think we're almost on the same schedule MedPR

Idk about Kaplan's in particular but generally test prep companies offer harder tests. If you're scoring around a 35-38 on those, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. To put it in perspective, I scored anywhere from 27-33 on TBR CBTs and I've gotten 40 (AAMC 7), 37 (AAMC 8), and 38 (AAMC 9).

Yea, same schedule but your scores are better than mine! I think I got a 35 on 8 and a 34 on 9.

Yea, same schedule but your scores are better than mine! I think I got a 35 on 8 and a 34 on 9.

Don't sweat it! I honestly categorize the general 34-39/40 in the same group. So props to both of us for scoring well 1 week before the real deal!:thumbup:

Don't sweat it! I honestly categorize the general 34-39/40 in the same group. So props to both of us for scoring well 1 week before the real deal!:thumbup:

Yea, I was thinking about that today too. Too bad ADCOMS don't see it that way!

The fact that 3-4 wrong is probably going to get you a 13, maybe even a 12 on the sciences and 6-7 wrong yields a 10 on VR is just brutal.

In any other world, if you considered a ~90% on what basically is a comprehensive final exam of 8-9 classes with completely different topics, you'd probably be pretty impressed. 90% right on the MCAT only puts you just a little above average in terms of matriculants!

I've gotten between 33-37 on AAMC's (average 34.5?) . It's definitely down to how many gaffes you make and luck in that range.

Yea, I was thinking about that today too. Too bad ADCOMS don't see it that way!

The fact that 3-4 wrong is probably going to get you a 13, maybe even a 12 on the sciences and 6-7 wrong yields a 10 on VR is just brutal.

In any other world, if you considered a ~90% on what basically is a comprehensive final exam of 8-9 classes with completely different topics, you'd probably be pretty impressed. 90% right on the MCAT only puts you just a little above average in terms of matriculants!

Haha they tend to group 35-40 in the same range. Well at least for UCSD they do. A guy I know is one of the interviewers for UCSD and he explained that he tends to group those numbers as essentially the same thing so don't sweat it!

Idk if its a luck, but I took a Kaplan FL yesterday and got a 15/9/12 but I guessed on half of them and was freaking out, because I didn't know much of the content.
(also, the scale on the PS allowed me to get 8 wrong and a 15...)

More FLs all weekend! Gl guys

Last edited:
Took my last fl , AAMC 10. Got a 36 :)
AAMC average: 34.6 and 33-37 range

Goin through the official mcat guide passages monday and tuesday

Took my last fl , AAMC 10. Got a 36 :)
AAMC average: 34.6 and 33-37 range

Goin through the official mcat guide passages monday and tuesday

Nice! Way to go for the last CBT! I got delayed today because the library closed early so I chose not to take 10 today. Tomorrow will be 10 for me and 11 on Monday. Hopefully I'll do well too!

Taking 11 today. Seriously hoping to break 30. I don't get how I haven't... I know all the material and either end up changing my answer from the correct one or confusing myself. Ugh ):

Taking 11 today. Seriously hoping to break 30. I don't get how I haven't... I know all the material and either end up changing my answer from the correct one or confusing myself. Ugh ):

Stick with your gut!!!

Good luck today!

I'm in the same boat as you, I cannot seem to break 30 either and it's beyond frustrating. But I did my best on AAMC 11 so far so hopefully the same goes for you. Best of luck !

uy I was supposed to do a FL today but I got held up with other things and I wanted to get at least 2 more done! :/