The Official 5/31/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Okay here's a question. Will a 33P (13/10/10) compensate for a low cGPA (3.79) and a low sGPA (3.57)? I think I'm relatively well-rounded, with 250 volunteer hours (including 80 clinical), 50 hours of shadowing, and several multi-year ECs. What are your houghts? I'll post a 'WAMC?' eventually but I'm curious what you guys have to say :).

Also, is the 13 in VR a bright spot in my app? Is the 10 in BS a red flag?

Okay here's a question. Will a 33P (13/10/10) compensate for a low cGPA (3.79) and a low sGPA (3.57)? I think I'm relatively well-rounded, with 250 volunteer hours (including 80 clinical), 50 hours of shadowing, and several multi-year ECs. What are your houghts? I'll post a 'WAMC?' eventually but I'm curious what you guys have to say :).

probably not for top schools. 33 is only a little above average for most schools

probably not for top schools. 33 is only a little above average for most schools

Lol. I'm not going for any top schools. I'm applying to schools like the University of Kansas (3.7/3.6/29). My reach schools are UNC, Wake Forest, and maaaybe Vanderbilt.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your cGPA is not low unless you want to go to Harvard.

a 34 M

What the heck. an M? How does that happen? I had a Q quite easily the last time I took the exam.

Any ideas? I may not have hit "save" but that shouldn't matter?
:scared:

AAMC Average: 30 (ranged from 28-31)
Goal: 30+
Predicted: 28-32?
Actual: 30Q (9 physical sci, 10 verbal, 11 bio)

So happy to be done with this test!!!! Though I do think the PS curve must have been rather harsh considering I felt pretty confident when taking it and then got a 9, whereas I had more trouble in the Biological Sciences section and got an 11. Verbal seemed rather rough in terms of length and no time to double check anything, but I am glad with the turnout.

My best advice to anyone taking the test in the future is to trust your instincts and more importantly, DO NOT freak out during the test based on the difficulty of any passage/question/entire section. Just keep moving forward, clearing your mind before each section, trudging through each passage. I think that's what kept me in line with my AAMC average and kept my sanity throughout the whole process. Good luck to anyone retaking/taking in the future, you can absolutely do it!

Last edited:
a 34 M

What the heck. an M? How does that happen? I had a Q quite easily the last time I took the exam.

Any ideas? I may not have hit "save" but that shouldn't matter?
:scared:

The writing sample literally does not matter at all. Like, not at all.

Congrats to all of you for being done with this beast. Best of luck with your application!

Thank you so much. The prospect of a retake and dropping another $230 was eating away at me. Glad that's not going to happen now. And it felt pretty damn good to unsubscribe from mcatquestionaday.com. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd join the thread.

AAMC Average: ~37 (36,36,37,38,40)
Goal: 35+
Predicted:37
Actual: 33Q (12/9/12)

Super annoying verbal esp after my lowest AAMC VR was an 11 but what can ya do, guess i choked. Second time taking it. First time was 30.

I took the 5/31 test but haven't posted anything. So here it goes

AAMC ave :29

Predicted: I didn't even want to think about it after I was done

Actual: 32 P (11/10/11)

I am so grateful to God for his blessings and faithfulness. I never got higher than a 30 on any of the practice tests. I thank God I am done with this once and for all.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 32 (11/10/11)
Goal: 33
Predicted:27-33
Actual: 32Q (13/8/11)

will the 8 in verbal take me out of consideration at many schools? the rest of my application is strong (3.99gpa, strong LORs, volunteer at free clinic as EMT, research)

pondering a retake..

AAMC range: 35-38
Kaplan average: 37
Goal: 38
Actual MCAT: 35Q (PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 14)

Did anyone else notice anything curious about their PS section score?

For the past 4 Kaplan practice tests and 2 AAMC tests, I consistently got 14 in PS. And I felt like I did even better on PS on the actual MCAT than in my practice tests. I was pretty confident that it would on the higher side of 14. I knew it was possible to maybe get lower, but I didn't expect to get 3 points lower! =/

I genuinely think there's something unusual about my PS score. Am I just over-analyzing and simply messed up on that section? Should I submit for a rescore / regrade?

AAMC Average: 32 (11/10/11)
Predicted:27-33
Actual: 32Q (13/8/11)

will the 8 in verbal take me out of consideration at many schools? the rest of my application is strong (3.99gpa, strong LORs, volunteer at free clinic as EMT, research)

pondering a retake..
I heard 8 is usually the cutoff...Therefore, you should be fine with the 32Q

AAMC range: 35-38
Kaplan average: 37
Goal: 38
Actual MCAT: 35Q (PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 14)

Did anyone else notice anything curious about their PS section score?

For the past 4 Kaplan practice tests and 2 AAMC tests, I consistently got 14 in PS. And I felt like I did even better on PS on the actual MCAT than in my practice tests. I was pretty confident that it would on the higher side of 14. I knew it was possible to maybe get lower, but I didn't expect to get 3 points lower! =/

I genuinely think there's something unusual about my PS score. Am I just over-analyzing and simply messed up on that section? Should I submit for a rescore / regrade?

I thought I did relatively well on PS but I only got a 10. I would have guessed an 11 or 12. Maybe there ws something fishy about it. Have there been high PS scores posted here yet?

Long time lurker, but finally decided to make an account after getting my scores

AAMC average: 35 (33-38)
TPR average: 31
Prediction: honestly, 28-32
Actual: 36, PS/VR/BS 14/9/13

I'm extremely pleased with my score, above all thrilled with not having to retake and finally deleting my "MCAT question of the day" app from my phone. But, do any of you think that 9 might hurt? With a 3.91cGPA and a 3.85 BPCM, and significant research/volunteering/shaddowing, what are my chances at some top schools? I'll appreciate ANY feedback!

Congrats to everyone!!!!

How long did you study for your retake? Im kinda in the same boat with the verbal :/

i only studied 20 days max...if that. this time around, i was just way way way more relaxed which helped me.

I have a 4.0 science gpa from a very respectable institution, and 500 hours of shadowing...so i am applying to my state school and hoping for the best.

AAMC Average: 31
Goal: 30
Post-test prediction: 28
Actual: 29 (10, 9, 10)

I knew I didn't give myself sufficient time to practice. i am caught practically in the no-man's zone.
Very depressed yesterday. Basically my plan for this cycle is half-ruined.
Not really sure what to do know. Maybe retake.

I took the 5/31 test but haven't posted anything. So here it goes

AAMC ave :29

Predicted: I didn't even want to think about it after I was done

Actual: 32 P (11/10/11)

I am so grateful to God for his blessings and faithfulness. I never got higher than a 30 on any of the practice tests. I thank God I am done with this once and for all.

Long time lurker on this site; but I just had to join and do this...

I didn't have much time to study (about a month of intense study), and I felt pretty rushed going into the 05/31 exam. I was basically taking a test every other day during that month.

Physics and Biology are usually strong points for me but VERBAL??......In all the practice AAMC's, I only hit a 9 on verbal once. I took 3 Kaplan Fl also and hit a 10 in verbal the first time but followed that up with a 6 and 5. I was worried my verbal score would force a retake if I could not hit an 8. Take a look at this

Kaplan FL 4 - (9/10/9)
Kaplan FL 5 - (12/6/11)
Kaplan FL 6 - (11/5/13)

AAMC 3 - (10/9/10)
AAMC 4 - (10/6/12)
AAMC 5 - (11/7/10)
AAMC 10 - (12/6/11)
AAMC 11 - (12/5/11)

I only hit a 30 once BECAUSE OF VERBAL!...

I didn't even bother calculating my AAMC or Kaplan average because I figured out it would just discourage me the more.

Coming out of the 5/31 exam, I felt devastated. I randomly guessed on the last 2 questions on verbal because I ran out of time. Throughout the writing and Bio section, I couldn't get verbal out of my mind.

My prediction - (10/6/9)....(11/5/8)......(12/6/10)....It was all over the place.

Score - (11/9/10) Q - much more balanced

My Bio section definitely took a hit but my writing section survived the hit. However, I DID NOT FAIL VERBAL....I actually scored the highest I could possibly have and I am totally excited about that. ...I know I will do much better if I retake but I have a full-time research job at the moment so i can't put in the hours I need to. Plus I have a 3.99 gpa in a reputable school and hundreds of hours of research, shadowing, volunteering...etc..

I am definitely very grateful to God for his blessings and faithfulness too because I couldn't have done it without him. I am sure he will also get me a medical school admission.

I wish everyone the best!...You guys kept me sane over the last month.....Good luck!

Actual-36
Practice-34-35

Retake raised from 30 to 36. It can be done. Also, like most people say don't really trust your post test feelings. I came out feeling like I scored in the 20's especially because of the verbal.

Posting on my GF's account..

AAMC average: 31.5 (n=8)
Prediction: honestly, 28 - I left the center feeling like I had BOMBED verbal and bio
Actual: 33, PS/VR/BS 12/10/11

Just wanted to add that I got a 25 on my very first practice AAMC test. So I hope the fact that I've gone up 8 points shows that it can be done! Just stay motivated and if you take Kaplan, make sure you use their online materials as much as you can for your weakest subject (i.e., do as many online quizzes, section tests, etc). Their materials are much harder than AAMC but it will be great prep for test day.

AAMC average: 36
Kaplan average: 35
Predicted: 32 (although I felt like I could have scored anywhere from a 29 to a 36)
Actual: 36Q (12-10-14)

Verdict: I thought PS was like the AAMC but more...abstract. I used fewer of the skills I had developed while studying and more wild ass conjecture than anything else.
Verbal was hard, I had no idea how I did, I'm just glad that it turned out semi-decent. Blame it on sleep deprivation.
BS was hard as well, but I finished with 16 minutes left and was able to go rethink questions that seemed impossible.

Psychological state is everything.
At the end of the test, I felt like I had just gotten into a bar fight, all bruised up and not sure who won.

Long time lurker, but finally decided to make an account after getting my scores

AAMC average: 35 (33-38)
TPR average: 31
Prediction: honestly, 28-32
Actual: 36, PS/VR/BS 14/9/13

I'm extremely pleased with my score, above all thrilled with not having to retake and finally deleting my "MCAT question of the day" app from my phone. But, do any of you think that 9 might hurt? With a 3.91cGPA and a 3.85 BPCM, and significant research/volunteering/shaddowing, what are my chances at some top schools? I'll appreciate ANY feedback!

Congrats to everyone!!!!
With a good overall app and a 3.9/36, you're a qualified candidate anywhere. Congrats!

AAMC Average: about a 31.5 (roughly 09PS, 11VR, 12BS)
Post-test prediction: 30 (10PS, 08VR, 12BS)
Actual: 27 Q (09PS, 09VR, 09BS)

I am completely devastated.

I didn't score below a 10 a single time in Bio... even before I had studied. I have no idea what happened.

Like Kasho, I fell more than 4 points below my average somehow.

Retake.

Might have to push off medical school for another year... I have a full time job so I can't dedicate the appropriate number of hours to studying.

EDIT: I got a 07PS, 09VR, 10BS (26) on my DIAGNOSTIC (on 2/14/12) And then studied really hard for 3.5 months. How can I have gotten a 9 for the first time ever on Bio ... it went up to 13s closer to the test date, a 9 in VR .... I was up to 12s/13s by the time of the test date.... I'm totally shocked. I was at first thinking they gave me the wrong score or mixed my test up .... WTF... like I am barely holding it together here.

Catzzz u ok?... its hard but its not the end of the world... if this is your first time taking it then u are still ok... just re up and go extra hard for the retake... u have experience and know what ur mistakes were
"success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts"
Im in the same boat as u, 31aamc avg and a 29real... i wanted to cry... but EFF it... Sept 7th here i come!
LEGOOO!!!!

AAMC average: 36
Kaplan average: 35
Predicted: 32 (although I felt like I could have scored anywhere from a 29 to a 36)
Actual: 36Q (12-10-14)

Verdict: I thought PS was like the AAMC but more...abstract. I used fewer of the skills I had developed while studying and more wild ass conjecture than anything else.
Verbal was hard, I had no idea how I did, I'm just glad that it turned out semi-decent. Blame it on sleep deprivation.
BS was hard as well, but I finished with 16 minutes left and was able to go rethink questions that seemed impossible.

Psychological state is everything.
At the end of the test, I felt like I had just gotten into a bar fight, all bruised up and not sure who won.

definitely agree

I thought I did relatively well on PS but I only got a 10. I would have guessed an 11 or 12. Maybe there ws something fishy about it. Have there been high PS scores posted here yet?
I will confirm this as well. I felt like I got a 12 or 13, didn't run out of time or anything. I ended up with a 10... the curve must have been pretty harsh on PS this year.

AAMC Average: 31.5
Goal: 32
Predicted:27-30
Actual: 32M 11/12/9 (PS/VR/BS)

Was really happy with my overall score, but should I be more proud of my 12 in VR or bummed about the 9 in BS? I feel like I have a weirdly distributed 32, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. NC resident really hoping to get into UNC (3.65 GPA, 3.45 sGPA). Thoughts?

AAMC Average: 31.5
Goal: 32
Predicted:27-30
Actual: 32M 11/12/9 (PS/VR/BS)

Was really happy with my overall score, but should I be more proud of my 12 in VR or bummed about the 9 in BS? I feel like I have a weirdly distributed 32, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. NC resident really hoping to get into UNC (3.65 GPA, 3.45 sGPA). Thoughts?

What's your major? It would be a fitting score if say you have an arts major, but if you are in biochemistry or something then yeah it's off heh.

What's your major? It would be a fitting score if say you have an arts major, but if you are in biochemistry or something then yeah it's off heh.

I'm a Psych Major / Chem Minor, so I guess that makes sense. Thanks for your response!

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Bought Kaplan 5 Book Subject Review set and thought they were pretty good and I would recommend them for PS AND VR, but I felt the Biology review book was somewhat scattered and ended up having to refer back to school texts to review for it.

Kaplan : 27.5
AAMC: 27, 28, 29, 28
Predicted: 27-28
Actual: 31Q (10/11/10)

Really happy with my score and happy to be done with this test. Congrats to all those who reached their goal and good luck to those who will be retaking!

okay here's a question. Will a 33p (13/10/10) compensate for a low cgpa (3.79) and a low sgpa (3.57)? I think i'm relatively well-rounded, with 250 volunteer hours (including 80 clinical), 50 hours of shadowing, and several multi-year ecs. What are your houghts? I'll post a 'wamc?' eventually but i'm curious what you guys have to say :).

Also, is the 13 in vr a bright spot in my app? Is the 10 in bs a red flag?

are. You. Serious!?!?

Let's not let this thread die, okay? Everyone should provide updates regarding their application cycle. Good luck to all you 5/31ers!

Actual-36
Practice-34-35

Retake raised from 30 to 36. It can be done. Also, like most people say don't really trust your post test feelings. I came out feeling like I scored in the 20's especially because of the verbal.

This is great! any tips on how to approach/ prep for the retake?

Aelse in here receiving emails from DO schools about applying to their programs? I'm wondering if it's a mass list generated from the 5/31 MCAT date, since it references the exam in mine.

Aelse in here receiving emails from DO schools about applying to their programs? I'm wondering if it's a mass list generated from the 5/31 MCAT date, since it references the exam in mine.

Yup, I've received about 2 or 3 emails.