The Official 7/16/2010 MCAT club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is taking the MCAT on July 16th 8 AM?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in! I'm using BR, EK 101, and TPR Verbal.

Ok so I'm taking this for EDP and we need our AMCAS apps in by August 1 but the EDP file completion is September 1. Will our scores automatically post to our apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be jumping in with you people. I have been out of school almost a full year, so I will be starting this weekend. I have some rust to knock off.

I will be using TBR, EK and any other study aids I find laying around. I've taken it once before and scored a 29 (ran out of time on the verbal section and left 5-7 blank :() so I am taking it again to break that mighty 30 mark and hopefully show adcoms I haven't lost anything through this year.

If you all would like to discuss concepts, share scores or any other things you think would be helpful, let me know and I will be happy to join in.

:luck::luck::xf: This thread gets two luckies and a finger-cross

Hey folks! I will be joining the 7/16 group. I will be ordering TBR physics since I heard that it is quite helpful. How long does it take to get the books (5-6days shipping)?

I have read through the Kaplan big book but still don't feel very comfortable with PS sections. I'm pretty good with biology though. Have a lot of upper division and grad courses in that area. My weakest section so far is physics since I took those classes 300 years ago.

I do have the really old BR books from 1995. Found them for a $1 each. Has it changed drastically? Does anyone know? I read something from BRteach that they haven't changed the science sections too much but they have changed VR section quite a bit.

Well, let's kill this beast folks! Study hard.

Will a retake/first initial take on July 16 be a hindrance to the application process? Schools don't really look at apps until they're complete with MCAT scores and stuff, so I was just wondering. I plan on taking it once 5/27, but in case I need to take it again, I won't be able to do it until 7/16.

Will a retake/first initial take on July 16 be a hindrance to the application process? Schools don't really look at apps until they're complete with MCAT scores and stuff, so I was just wondering. I plan on taking it once 5/27, but in case I need to take it again, I won't be able to do it until 7/16.

It takes a few weeks for AAMC to verify the data you provided in your application. So, if you were to take the MCAT on 7/16 you should still be in a good position. I checked with my in state school and they told me that its not an issue at all. I would recommend that you check with the school(s) that your are interested in. Keep in mind that most schools don't send out invitations until September. Therefore, make sure you complete other components of your application ASAP.

I am using the BR books and EK Verbal 101, but studying on my own. Any of you guys taking any review course atm?

Just changed my date from June 17 to July 16. Whhhaaatttss uppp? My 21st birthday is July 18 so I will have plenty to look forward to haha.

Just changed my date from June 17 to July 16. Whhhaaatttss uppp? My 21st birthday is July 18 so I will have plenty to look forward to haha.

Yo! Legit/Fithy,

Welcome to the club! How's studies going? I'm getting ready for finals.

I've got finals coming up as well. I won't start hardcore until April 30. Then I'm going to hit the ground running with TBR and EK. I'm just going to use Kaplan for their FLs, because everything is is kinda w/e from what I heard. I wasted $1500 on that **** so I better get something out of it.

P.S. - TBR
Verbal - EK + 101VP
B.S. - EK (Bio) + EK1001 Bio + TBR (Organic + Bio Passages)

FLs - AAMC #3-10, TBR #1-5, Kaplan #1-6

I'm planning on ripping this test a new ******* :smuggrin:. I want at least a 35 :D.

I've got finals coming up as well. I won't start hardcore until April 30. Then I'm going to hit the ground running with TBR and EK. I'm just going to use Kaplan for their FLs, because everything is is kinda w/e from what I heard. I wasted $1500 on that **** so I better get something out of it.

P.S. - TBR
Verbal - EK + 101VP
B.S. - EK (Bio) + EK1001 Bio + TBR (Organic + Bio Passages)

FLs - AAMC #3-10, TBR #1-5, Kaplan #1-6

I'm planning on ripping this test a new ******* :smuggrin:. I want at least a 35 :D.

I hear you. I was set to take the test on 5/22. I figured I should change it so that I can finish the semester without stressing out. I got the Kaplan big book and completed it last month. Don't remember much.:) Here's my plan:

PS: Phy; TBR + EK 1001; Chem: TBR + Kaplan
BS: Bio: TBR + Kaplan + GS; OChem: TBR + EK 1001 + Kaplan
VR: TBR + Kaplan

I'll start pushing harder around the second week of May. My goal is 35+ as well. Hope we can make it!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. I was set to take the test on 5/22. I figured I should change it so that I can finish the semester without stressing out. I got the Kaplan big book and completed it last month. Don't remember much.:) Here's my plan:

PS: Phy; TBR + EK 1001; Chem: TBR + Kaplan
BS: Bio: TBR + Kaplan + GS; OChem: TBR + EK 1001 + Kaplan
VR: TBR + Kaplan

I'll start pushing harder around the second week of May. My goal is 35+ as well. Hope we can make it!!! :luck:

That's a pretty interesting combo. I haven't really seen that one before. What made you want to use Kaplan for Chem and Orgo when you have TBR? What is GS for Bio? Do you have the new Kaplan books as well? If so, what is your opinion of them?

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get yalls opinion!

Is everyone planning to apply this cycle? I'm considering moving my date to the June 17th date because I work far too much to give MCAT its due attention. My friends seem to think that applying early will be in my favor but I want to hear what everyone here thinks! thanks

happy

I am in the 7/16 too! I have been trying to figure out a constructive way to study, but having some trouble. Any suggestions? I start the course class with Kaplan on May 8th, but I want to rock this exam so I feel that I should have more prep than just that.

That's a pretty interesting combo. I haven't really seen that one before. What made you want to use Kaplan for Chem and Orgo when you have TBR? What is GS for Bio? Do you have the new Kaplan books as well? If so, what is your opinion of them?

Oh, there is no big strategy.:) I got all those books from a friend so I will try to make the best of it. I am going to use TBR primarily. Since I have the Kaplan and GS books as well, I decided it wouldn't hurt to use those as well. They do cover some topics better than TBR. Kaplan's bio section is very comprehensive. I printed out the AAMC guidelines for each section. I'm just checking things off as I go.

I am planning on starting practice exams around mid June. I hope everything goes as planned.

I am in the 7/16 too! I have been trying to figure out a constructive way to study, but having some trouble. Any suggestions? I start the course class with Kaplan on May 8th, but I want to rock this exam so I feel that I should have more prep than just that.

Is it a summer intensive course? My TPR class just ended and I was in it for almost 3 months!
I would definitely try to keep up with the homework set (if there are any), do diagnostics on time (I didn't..), and ask instructors any questions you might have (if it is instructor-led class).
Good Luck studying :luck:

Hey everyone:

I am currently set to take the 6/17 test date but I really want to score well and am not sure if I should switch to the July date. Here is a little about me:

I took the test last year and got a 23R (9V, 6PS, 8BS) :(! NOt surprinsing since I literally didnt study and had just had a baby! I started studying for the VR in January and other stuff in April. I took a diagnostic test and scored a 27 (10V, 6PS, 11BS) so I know my weakness is PS. Question is do you guys think that 1.5 month is enough time to get the PS up? I havent really gone through all my content review yet. I have been taking lots of VR tests and seem to be improving steadly getting close to 11 now.

My plan is to study content/mini Mcats (EK) for the next two weeks, then mix in full lenght (2x per week) plus more content and the final weeks practice test everyother day (I got the Gold Standard 10 tests). DO you guys think this is okay or am I trying to do too much in too little time?

My test materials are :
Physics: NOVA, EK, EK 1001
ORgo and chem: EK and EK 1001
BIO: EK and EK1001
VR: EK

Should I switch? Main reason for not switching is the later mcat score release. Did anyone figure out about if the schools wait till they get your score or not?

thanks!

Well, I am joining the 7/16 MCAT date! NO turning back changed my registration!

-I read this post about submitting AMCAS without score
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-488818.html

so I will probably submit my AMCAS early July and then during the varification 4-6 weeks wait for my score. THen I will add more medical schools when my scores become available that way they see my second score too. Although I think some of them wait till they get your second score.

I will be revising my study schedule now.

I am planning on doing 1 every other day for the last month of my studying (All the AAMC and 10GS-Gold Standard) I also will be springkling in some the second month in to keep my practice up and will plan on doing VR passages everyday...as soon as my BR verbal arrives.

How about everyone else? Are the kaplan FL any good? or the BR ones?

Hey guys I'm also taking on this date as well!!

PM me if you wanna rant/talk/share info about mcat

Welcome to the 7/16 club. This thread is usually rocking. Not!:smuggrin: I guess we must have a studious group.

Nah, every group is like this. Here in a month this thread will be bouncin'. So what are you all studying at the moment? I'm redoing physics since it's my nemesis. :thumbdown:

I just got the BR stuff so I'm using that instead of EK which is what I was using up until now. I'm getting solid 10 with the Ek verbal but pretty close to an 11. I hope to be able to bring it up to 11 for the real test.

Looks like im joining y'all. I just finished finals (i dont have to take my physics one on monday). So its time to buckle down and study for the MCAT. I just got a 15 on ps on AAMC 9 so i pretty psyched about that. Though im still going through TBR gChem because I cant remember much gChem... Bio is from 9-13 depending on how much Ochem is on there (Ochem = Good) as I have only taken Gen bio 1. Verbal is also all over the place and ranges from 7-11 (mode is 11).... So I have a lot of work to do!

I was originally scheduled for January when that was canceled and I was rescheduled for April 10th. Got my score back and now I am scheduled for 7/16 for a retake...

It may seem like a petty thing, but getting rescheduled like that is a huge ordeal when you have planned out everything months ahead of time. Reusing past tests and used EK 1001 books was my biggest mistake in my personal opinion beyond the fact that I 'freaked' out during PS and kinda went into passive mode from then on.

Having said, I am back in the books doing some review on the weakest topics and reorganizing my strategy. One big thing I noticed from April was how much focus there was on genetics and molecular biology in the BS section. I have got a bunch additional practice questions from various sources that I did not use previously that I am using now to hone my testing taking abilities. I took all of the AAMC CBT's so I am going to order a new set of Gold Standard CBT's in June to get back into the test taking mentality.

Regardless, I thought I would post up some of my thoughts and wish everyone the best of luck! :xf:

I just registered for this date. Took it on 4/17 and didn't do quite as well as I wanted to do. Hoping for better luck this time.

I was originally scheduled for January when that was canceled and I was rescheduled for April 10th. Got my score back and now I am scheduled for 7/16 for a retake...

It may seem like a petty thing, but getting rescheduled like that is a huge ordeal when you have planned out everything months ahead of time. Reusing past tests and used EK 1001 books was my biggest mistake in my personal opinion beyond the fact that I 'freaked' out during PS and kinda went into passive mode from then on.

Having said, I am back in the books doing some review on the weakest topics and reorganizing my strategy. One big thing I noticed from April was how much focus there was on genetics and molecular biology in the BS section. I have got a bunch additional practice questions from various sources that I did not use previously that I am using now to hone my testing taking abilities. I took all of the AAMC CBT's so I am going to order a new set of Gold Standard CBT's in June to get back into the test taking mentality.

Regardless, I thought I would post up some of my thoughts and wish everyone the best of luck! :xf:

4/10ers unite! Physics definitely rocked my dome on this one! I would have liked to see more organic on the BS though. Hopefully this one will pan out for us!

I am sooooo hype I am starting to study NOW!!! Have two SOLID MONTHS to MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! What books every1 is using. I am using TBR for Physics and G Chem and EK for Bio and TPR and EK for Verbal #boaw:)

Did everyone took a practice AAMC Test before they started!!!

I am sooooo hype I am starting to study NOW!!! Have two SOLID MONTHS to MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! What books every1 is using. I am using TBR for Physics and G Chem and EK for Bio and TPR and EK for Verbal #boaw:)

Did everyone took a practice AAMC Test before they started!!!

I'm basically using SN2's books.

Goodluck.

I'm basically using SN2's books.

Goodluck.

Me too! Also I'm going to start taking weekly FL this next week to keep my test stamina up. I think I will post all my scores on my tests as I take them to have a running list of my (hopeful) improvements.

Also don draper, are you doing the 1/3 for each BR chapter? And also do u prefer TPR, br,or EK for verbal? I'm currently using Ek but have the other two that I will practice off of later.

Me too! Also I'm going to start taking weekly FL this next week to keep my test stamina up. I think I will post all my scores on my tests as I take them to have a running list of my (hopeful) improvements.

Also don draper, are you doing the 1/3 for each BR chapter? And also do u prefer TPR, br,or EK for verbal? I'm currently using Ek but have the other two that I will practice off of later.

Call me Don. I'm doing the 1/3 of BR and polishing weak areas with 1001/Hyperlearning Workbook.

FLs final 2.5 weeks, tons of passages for now. Due to time, only EK101 for verbal outside AAMC/BR FLs.

Call me Don. I'm doing the 1/3 of BR and polishing weak areas with 1001/Hyperlearning Workbook.

FLs final 2.5 weeks, tons of passages for now. Due to time, only EK101 for verbal outside AAMC/BR FLs.

Are the BR FL pretty good Sample of the real mcat?

I'm noticing I'm having trouble recalling information, specifically chemistry related stoichiometry stuff. Any tips to mastering subjects I don't particularly find interesting?

I would like to know how long everyone has been studying exactly 3 months or have you been studying for 2.5 months lol And yeah I have to brush up on the physics. But I only been doing chem and physics simultaneously and then I am studying Biology and Orgo together next week but i really want to focus on PS since BS is pretty much understanding and content, PS too but it's a different ideology though and Verbal I have been practicing everyday.

I'm taking it this date as well for the second time, crossing my fingers I do well. I find physics really got me on the last exam so I will be focusing on that...but really everything lol.

Does anyone have any advice to studying when the weather outside is gorgeous? I live in NH and it's so beautiful (it usually isn't) I find it hard to stay in the house haha!

I'm noticing I'm having trouble recalling information, specifically chemistry related stoichiometry stuff. Any tips to mastering subjects I don't particularly find interesting?

Hey I had the same problem but I've been using BR chem and it's been helping specifically with the doing the math faster and rounding shortcuts. I find that if I know different ways of approaching the problem and get practice, I'm not so intimidated anymore.

I would like to know how long everyone has been studying exactly 3 months or have you been studying for 2.5 months lol And yeah I have to brush up on the physics. But I only been doing chem and physics simultaneously and then I am studying Biology and Orgo together next week but i really want to focus on PS since BS is pretty much understanding and content, PS too but it's a different ideology though and Verbal I have been practicing everyday.

I've been stdying since mid April (8-15 hrs) then I'm may like 20+ hours a week. I just had finals this week so I'm going to spend more time on it now

retaking on this day too.

do you know how this will affect our applications if we send in our mcat score this late?

for those of you who are retaking, are you guys not releasing your score to schools until you get your updated score?

My question is - do schools automatically reject you if they see a poor score EVEN IF you state you are retaking in July?

retaking on this day too.

do you know how this will affect our applications if we send in our mcat score this late?

for those of you who are retaking, are you guys not releasing your score to schools until you get your updated score?

My question is - do schools automatically reject you if they see a poor score EVEN IF you state you are retaking in July?

I'm retaking and going to submit my application without mcat during early July because it takes 4-6 weeks to process so it will be ready around when the scores are released. I am only submitting with the medical school that I have checked with that will not get rid of my app because of my previous score. Then I will add the other schools a when the new score comes.

I hope it doesn't set me back too much.

I'm retaking and going to submit my application without mcat during early July because it takes 4-6 weeks to process so it will be ready around when the scores are released. I am only submitting with the medical school that I have checked with that will not get rid of my app because of my previous score. Then I will add the other schools a when the new score comes.

I hope it doesn't set me back too much.

Isasmommy - where did you check to see if med schools throw out apps or not?