korsian

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I have joined the crowd from 4/23/10 - didn't do too hot, want to retake! I'm submitting in June with just my state school and schools that give automatic secondaries and then go on from there! :)

Rocher

Hazelnut Goodness
10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Whats up! Joining you guys for round 2. Got a 29 the first time.

Good luck all!

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Joined the July 16 crowd!!!

Took MCAT b4...didnt too good...ran out of time...but ready to go this time...finishing up content review this week...and hopefully get ready do passages and exam from then....

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
I have joined the crowd from 4/23/10 - didn't do too hot, want to retake! I'm submitting in June with just my state school and schools that give automatic secondaries and then go on from there! :)
How do you know which schools give you automatic secondaries?

girlinthegarden

5+ Year Member
May 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
Same here!! Do you know what happens if we send in the app designating that MCAT is pending and then decide not to retake after all?

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
Same here!! Do you know what happens if we send in the app designating that MCAT is pending and then decide not to retake after all?
When you let them know you are taking the mcat again, some schools will put your application on hold and not make a decision on you until your second mcat scores are in. Some schools might not do this, and will take the first mcat scores into consideration even though you got another test date coming up. If you delete your retake test date, I guess all schools will just go ahead and process your application with your first scores.

korsian

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I talked to my adviser about this. You can look up which schools send you secondaries automatically in the MSAR. I mean, I know I won't be doing secondaries until after the MCAT, so my application won't be complete anyway until then. For schools that screen (e.g., the UCs) I'd hold off until you get your second set of scores back.

JSU

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, hoping for some advice :)

So I am applying this cycle. My GPA is solid (3.977 overall, 3.95 sciences). I took the MCAT two days ago and literally broke down in the middle of the test and had a panic attack. That being said, I don't think I did too hot and felt like I was guessing alot. I know that I may be a little over zealous about retaking already without knowing my scores, but I wanted to register to be sure I got a spot. Losing the money to cancel in the case of decent scores is worth the peace of mind to me. Anyway, I'm confused about when to send in my application. I know that either way they will see what I scored the first time, but will they also see that I plan to retake? Should I be selective about which schools I send to before I see my scores-like hold off on sending to my "reach schools"? I just don't know what to do. Sorry this may be a newbie question :laugh:
Got you beat... 3.979 overall! (though should round up when my physics grade goes through. 4.0 sci). Im taking the MCAT June 17th so my application is going out before then. Though you may want to wait for you MCAT scores before spending a few gs on applying.

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

Decided to join the 7/16 club. This is my second time taking it so hopefully I will do significantly better because I want to apply this cycle. How is everyone studying going?

korsian

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a 28S on the 4/23 MCAT, only used EK. I just signed up for the Kaplan online resources and man, they're kicking my butt! I wish I had signed up for this sooner. What I'm doing is going through all the questions and then going through each answer regardless of whether I got it right or wrong. I feel that this time around I'm getting a better handle on how to approach the inevitable crazy passage (or multiple) on each exam. I plan on trying to finish all the questions I can before 7/16...

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hope everyone is doing well studying.

I rescheduled from a previous date and feel that I'm personally financing AAMC...seriously, they really charge too much for rescheduling, especially considering how much it costs to sign up for the exam in the first place. I know the other graduate tests cost about the same but what ever happened to the SAT days where you paid $45 for a 3.75 hour exam?

Anyway, let's rock this date! Lots of time left to really get it together.

smmossey

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I hear you...it's great knowing all the money you have made over the past summers and years at work study is going toward med school and close to 200k debt :(

Anyway GL everyone!

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
This thread is super quiet, just thought I'd get it jump started. Where's everyone at? Done with content review? Doing passages/full lengths?

smmossey

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm done with everything except Physics (my worst so I figured I'd hit it last). I'm feeling better than last time but not 100%...especially BIO scares me, but I think a lot can be inferred from the passages so thats good.

My goal after is to just do practice FL's till the test date.

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
1 MONTH AWAY....Just rEviewing and doing passages!!!!!! Just took AAMC 3 last week...Probably do a few more early next week!!!

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm mainly working on Orgo now.

AMCAS during MCAT studying has proved to be a really bad combination. Throw in the World Cup and you've really got a doozy. :boom:

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah...I have to agree with AMCAS..and World Cup not a good combo...I just submitted my AMCAS this Monday...so that is a reliever, but I have to catch up doing more passages and problems!!!

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah worrying about AMCAS and the MCAT at the same time really sucks. Time management for the win!

xanman

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Moved mine to this date, hope I can improve a good amount in this next month. I have a fairly low (3.0) gpa and would love to get a 35+ on this thing to prove myself.

I took the AAMC practice 3 last week and got a 28, not too bad for a first try but I have to get muuch better than that to be accepted.

If anyone is in or around Davis, CA hit me up for a study group!

good luck everyone!:)

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone...

Some of you may have seen me post these links before, however, people often tell me they wish they'd seen them sooner, so I'm going to post them here. I posted them on the thread for the tests that happened today, and on the 7/8/2010 thread, but you seem to be a bit more active.

These are the sites I used the most for my MCAT prep.

For a great last-minute review, read through as much of http://mcat-review.org as you can. They take those study outlines the AAMC has on their website and actually add extra notes to them. I went through all of it the day or two before the test and I think it was a HUGE help! I was crunched for study time by the end of it and this site saved my butt.

If you're like me, and learn best when you're hearing, seeing and writing the material, then check out the videos at www.Khanacademy.org. This videos include (I'm pretty sure, anyway) all of the general chemistry material, almost all of the physics material (aside from Optics), and most of the biology material you may see on the test. I know a lot of people have trouble with the kidney/nephron and his video on that one is particularly good. He does not have any organic chemistry on there... at least not yet.

Another EXCELLENT video site is www.wikipremed.com. Don't be fooled by the title; it is not a wikipedia site (though I believe he gets a lot of images from wiki) and it's not like anyone can edit it. His videos are longer than Khan's, but very detailed and great for relating concepts. If you have the time, you will benefit from his videos, IMO. I believe some of the vids are still missing, but most of the things that are missing from Khanacademy (mostly organic chemistry, optics and some parts of biology) you can find here.

For organic chemistry, I also made O-chem flash cards from this website, and DRILLED them into my brain. I think there were 2 or 3 questions on the actual McKitty that I got right as a direct result of that. http://www.goldstandard-mcat.com/organic-chemistry-mechanisms/

For Verbal, I used the EK 101 book, but I didn't do nearly as much of it as I originally planned to. I think VR REALLY benefits from practice and getting used to the kinds of questions asked. I got an 11 on the real deal, which was my average (10s and 11s on most of the practice tests) but I think if I had more time, this book could have gotten me a 12... maybe even a 13.

I had the big ass Kaplan book, but I barely used it at all. I also had a Barron's book I bought a few years ago that I mostly used to distract my toddler and let her scribble on/rip pages out of it. >.< The EK 101 book and the EK 1001 General Chemistry book I grabbed were the only ones I used. I didn't get as far into them as I'd like, but I thought they were great.

These sites were all great resources that are largely responsible for my 14/11/14 score breakdown. I hope they can help you guys, too!

Good luck!

xanman

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status
Thank you for the links! I am sure I will be using them now. :)

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the link...

And Yeah... I took AAMC 3 last week too...How did you feel about that one??? I got a 30...but didn't feel too confident after I took the test though...but gonna take a few more next week too

ChocoMoo

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I took AMCAS 3 yesterday and got a 27 :/

think its possible to increase my score by 3 points every week? hahahah

xanman

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status
Choco- I hope so, I want to get above a 35 and got a 28 on that test....

Jun 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I will also be doing the MCAT on July 16th. I am a bit concerned that I may not be studying enough. I have been in a TPR class since May 3rd and have been keeping up with reading, homework, and diagnostics. However, I work at a lab whenever I'm not in class and so, after getting home at around 5-6pm, I only have a few hours to study each night (if im not burnt out), so I don't really feel like I'm studying intensely. I'm generally familiar with most of the material and everything is really review, but I don't think it's worth spending time at this point to memorize the tiny details of each subject since the MCAT is more of a conceptual than detail oriented exam. It's my first time doing a standardized test and I am slightly intimidated by the insane study habits being posted on these forums.

In my past three diagnostics I scored above a 10 in both PS and BS, but verbal is my weak point. I just did the AAMC practice 3 today and got a 32: 12PS 9VR 11BS but I felt the test was easy compared to the TPR ones.

Let me know what you think; is it better to study intensely or to pace reading and practice? Also, for those who have done practice tests, do you have any idea how close they measure to actual performance on the test? Finally, I finish class in 2 weeks, which gives me from July 2 to 16 of full study days. I plan on doing a practice test every other day and doing light review the off days, any other advice? Sorry for the long post, I would appreciate any input. Good luck!

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah Choco and Xan: I think It is possible to boot the scores by test day!!! I hope so:), But Ill be taking 2 more practice tests this weekend and see where I am at after doing EK 1001

ChocoMoo

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
dahhhhh fml i got a 24 on AMCAS 4. but then again i just couldnt focus at all..

i'll be taking more practice tests wednesday and friday...hopefully by friday i can hit a 30 lol :oops:

for now more content review!

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical

i'll be taking more practice tests wednesday and friday...hopefully by friday i can hit a 30 lol :oops:

Did you finish all your content review and you're just "re"reviewing it or are you still going through it the first time and taking FLs at the same time? Finishing all of it could help with your score.

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

yeah focusing will help you out!!! I tend to lose focus in verbal...which I am trying to work at right now!!!But Don't worry...we have time....Lets get that 30+++++

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I will also be doing the MCAT on July 16th. I am a bit concerned that I may not be studying enough. I have been in a TPR class since May 3rd and have been keeping up with reading, homework, and diagnostics. However, I work at a lab whenever I'm not in class and so, after getting home at around 5-6pm, I only have a few hours to study each night (if im not burnt out), so I don't really feel like I'm studying intensely. I'm generally familiar with most of the material and everything is really review, but I don't think it's worth spending time at this point to memorize the tiny details of each subject since the MCAT is more of a conceptual than detail oriented exam. It's my first time doing a standardized test and I am slightly intimidated by the insane study habits being posted on these forums.

In my past three diagnostics I scored above a 10 in both PS and BS, but verbal is my weak point. I just did the AAMC practice 3 today and got a 32: 12PS 9VR 11BS but I felt the test was easy compared to the TPR ones.

Let me know what you think; is it better to study intensely or to pace reading and practice? Also, for those who have done practice tests, do you have any idea how close they measure to actual performance on the test? Finally, I finish class in 2 weeks, which gives me from July 2 to 16 of full study days. I plan on doing a practice test every other day and doing light review the off days, any other advice? Sorry for the long post, I would appreciate any input. Good luck!

I am not sure really, how do you feel with the material so far? If you have been keeping up with your class and everything....I think you are in good shape...I think you should not burn yourself out...But since you been going good since May...I think you are in the right position to finish up pretty good...and after your class over you still have time to do anymore practice tests and questions....

Just stay with it...and stay focused...WE got THIS!!!

Jun 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
anybody know if we can bring scratch paper to the test or if we have to use the paper they give us? I tend to write alot and really big...need like 5 pgs for the physics lol

May 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I might be jumping ship from this date. I was signed up, but realized that the three weeks are rapidly approaching. Maybe someone can shed some light on my situation, but I think I already have a good idea of what I am going to do.

I am pretty much done with my general chemistry review, I think I have a good handle on things in this area. I have done several random passages out of my TPR book and am missing 0 to 1 depending on the subject. As for physics, I am lost. I went through my entire TPR book, read the chapters and did all the freestanding questions. However, I still feel like I don't have a good grasp on things, I thought I did, but looking at some of the passages I am just like WTF. I am working from www.coursesaver.com and Chad's Physics reviews. I have already watched them once, but because I spent so much time studying gen chem, it feel like I lost all my physics knowledge!

As for the biological sciences, I am pretty strong in organic chemistry because I TA for it, so I'm not worried at all here. Maybe a day at tops to review everything and work some problems. Bio is another story, I put this off for last because I thought it would be an easy subject to finish off with (no math, etc). However, I quickly realized that there is so much information and detail. I am trying to get the "Big picture" of things and not paying so much attention to the details, but it's hard with TPR. I have the EK series, but that's too "to the point," and I need something that will break things up and simply difficult concepts (It's been a while since I took bio). I am only through the second chapter in TPR.

Verbal, well yeah..haha. I am working from the EK book. My first diagnostic I took when in the TPR class several months ago was a pathetic 2!!! How this happened, I don't know. I would have scored higher guessing "B" for all of the answer choices. I have taken the first 3 practice tests from EK and have already jumped from a 4 to an near 8! I have plenty more practice and am praying that things only get better as I have ~12 more practice tests plus my other material from EK. I feel that the more I practice and read these crazy passages, the more I take away and the better my reading comprehension is getting.

Anyway, I am not even done with my content review. I don't think it would be feasible to take the July 16th test. I have not taken another diagnostic since the one I took in my TPR class months ago as I think it would be a waste of time. I want to be completely done with my content review to see where I stand. What do you guys think? Keep the 16th or jump ship to the 29th? The two week difference may not seem like a lot, but for someone who is just finishing their content review, I think it would be beneficial to spend the time taking as many practice tests I can get my hands on and working passages. I have a pretty strong app otherwise, I don't want the MCAT to blow my chances of not matriculating in 2011.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Good luck studying!

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I might be jumping ship from this date. I was signed up, but realized that the three weeks are rapidly approaching. Maybe someone can shed some light on my situation, but I think I already have a good idea of what I am going to do.

I am pretty much done with my general chemistry review, I think I have a good handle on things in this area. I have done several random passages out of my TPR book and am missing 0 to 1 depending on the subject. As for physics, I am lost. I went through my entire TPR book, read the chapters and did all the freestanding questions. However, I still feel like I don't have a good grasp on things, I thought I did, but looking at some of the passages I am just like WTF. I am working from www.coursesaver.com and Chad's Physics reviews. I have already watched them once, but because I spent so much time studying gen chem, it feel like I lost all my physics knowledge!

As for the biological sciences, I am pretty strong in organic chemistry because I TA for it, so I'm not worried at all here. Maybe a day at tops to review everything and work some problems. Bio is another story, I put this off for last because I thought it would be an easy subject to finish off with (no math, etc). However, I quickly realized that there is so much information and detail. I am trying to get the "Big picture" of things and not paying so much attention to the details, but it's hard with TPR. I have the EK series, but that's too "to the point," and I need something that will break things up and simply difficult concepts (It's been a while since I took bio). I am only through the second chapter in TPR.

Verbal, well yeah..haha. I am working from the EK book. My first diagnostic I took when in the TPR class several months ago was a pathetic 2!!! How this happened, I don't know. I would have scored higher guessing "B" for all of the answer choices. I have taken the first 3 practice tests from EK and have already jumped from a 4 to an near 8! I have plenty more practice and am praying that things only get better as I have ~12 more practice tests plus my other material from EK. I feel that the more I practice and read these crazy passages, the more I take away and the better my reading comprehension is getting.

Anyway, I am not even done with my content review. I don't think it would be feasible to take the July 16th test. I have not taken another diagnostic since the one I took in my TPR class months ago as I think it would be a waste of time. I want to be completely done with my content review to see where I stand. What do you guys think? Keep the 16th or jump ship to the 29th? The two week difference may not seem like a lot, but for someone who is just finishing their content review, I think it would be beneficial to spend the time taking as many practice tests I can get my hands on and working passages. I have a pretty strong app otherwise, I don't want the MCAT to blow my chances of not matriculating in 2011.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Good luck studying!
To be honest, it's clear your mind is set on changing the date. Writing it out and asking for advice is just a formality. I have been you and when told that it was feasible to keep my date I'd have a specific answer for why it wasn't (which you also do). So save yourself some energy/mental angst and just switch already. That being said, I do think you're in a position to do this in time (lol). You have 3.5 weeks and you're done with content, you just have to keep "re"-reviewing while you do FLs. But at the end of the day you won't listen and that's okay because YOU'RE the one who needs to feel comfortable with your date and you are clearly not comfortable with the 16th right now. Enjoy the $55 fee :)

May 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
To be honest, it's clear your mind is set on changing the date. Writing it out and asking for advice is just a formality. I have been you and when told that it was feasible to keep my date I'd have a specific answer for why it wasn't (which you also do). So save yourself some energy/mental angst and just switch already. That being said, I do think you're in a position to do this in time (lol). You have 3.5 weeks and you're done with content, you just have to keep "re"-reviewing while you do FLs. But at the end of the day you won't listen and that's okay because YOU'RE the one who needs to feel comfortable with your date and you are clearly not comfortable with the 16th right now. Enjoy the $55 fee :)

Thanks for the advice, you completely hit the nail on the head. I guess I am just worried based on the fact that I am so behind in biology. I guess it also freaked me out about physics. But I guess if I keep re-reviewing physics while keeping up on my general chemistry, and working a chapters in the TPR bio book, it doesn't sound too bad. I just wanted ample to to take practice exams, but it didn't seem like I would have much time, if any to accomplish this with the July 16th exam.

Thanks again.

ChocoMoo

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
does anyone have a verbal strategy that actually works? (as in a score of 10+ in VR)

i cant seem to break a 10 in this section and its starting to really make me worry, since our test is so close

i only have about 9 EK verbal reasoning tests, along with some kaplan ones, so i REALLY need to get this section down before i run out of tests!!

any advice would be appreciated! :)

IDoctor23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
anybody know if we can bring scratch paper to the test or if we have to use the paper they give us? I tend to write alot and really big...need like 5 pgs for the physics lol

They will give you paper and pencil....But to my knowledge if you need more you have to turn in your previous paper to get more scratch paper

bamboo44

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2010
Status
Hi all,

Signed up for this date as well. Good Luck to everyone!

I'm basically reviewing all content I need extra work on and doing practice tests every few days...

If anyone has any advice for the Ochem part of the Biological Section...I'd really like someeee...thankssss

Also, I realize I'm pretty poor with enzyme material..with competitive and noncompetitive inhibitors,etc. Any suggestions to get a better grasp on this?

:)

xanman

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status
Ahh I too got destroyed on AAMC 4 with a 25 :-(

Got 9, 8, 8.

Choco- I too had a very hard time focusing on this one, hopefully my mind will be on its A game during the real test...

Last edited:

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Is anyone still finishing content review? Please tell me there's someone else out there. I plan to finish by this Friday and just have 3 weeks of FLs and looking over everything again. Feasible?

HockeyDr09

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is anyone still finishing content review? Please tell me there's someone else out there. I plan to finish by this Friday and just have 3 weeks of FLs and looking over everything again. Feasible?
Yeah, I still have plenty of Physics and Gen Chem content to review. No worries :)

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was still wrapping up content review the week of my MCAT. Not ideal, but it worked out just fine.

pakbabydoll

Average student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys... only 21 days left YIKES!! I was just wondering what you guys think about this... So I just finished my content review yesterday (well besides physics which I hate and can't understand so I plan on doing problems instead of reading the material). Anyway so I have Kaplan topicals and sectionals. I am planning on just doing them along with passages from BR (orgo and chem), EK (biology) and verbal. The only thing is I suck at physics beyond words can explain so I kinda put it off till now and I just realized that I don't have a lot of material to practice with *besides kaplan stuff*... What do you suggest I do?

bamboo44

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2010
Status
I KNOWWW...21 daysss!!! AAHHH! :scared:

I'm in the same boat as you are...except with ochem instead of physics. I say you spend a few days (just a few) going through just the physics equations and understanding what each variable means..and all the relationships (like which ones are proportional to others, etc.). Then...do a whole bunch of discrete questions and see if you get most of them..oh and make sure you go over them.

I think you should focus on: the Big Five equations (they are needed in more than just kinematics), Waves, Simple Harmonic Motion (pendulums & springs), Projectile Motion, Optics (there are three equations that are a must), Energy Conservation, Resistors/Capacitors. ....these are the areas of physics I've seen most often on practice tests...especially WAVES...but yeah..there may be other areas I'm missing...

Oh and I feel like a lot of the physics on the MCAT is knowing how to manipulate variables...so knowing the equations and what each variable means is VITAL. And if you know the equations, even for the some of the concept questions they can help you eliminate wrong answers....so yeah.

Anyway, have any advice for me for ochem?? lol. I don't know what I should focus on.....I went over sn1/sn2 and e1/e2.....and I know my separation techniques....but all those random reactions..like Wittig, Claisen, something-something.....I have no idea...what should I do??

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for all the positive vibes everyone about being able to get it all done in time, really helps you get into the mindset to conquer this!

As for hating or being bad at X subject (it's different for everyone) I suggest just plowing through it. I used to hate physics, thought I was horrible at it and I'd never get it. So of course I put it off. Then finally I thought it would be best to just do it and get it out of the way...turns out it's not so bad! We often build up a negative perception of some subjects and that can be more detrimental than the actual subject matter itself.

@pakbabydoll, all the Kaplan stuff will be enough, there really are a lot of questions. Do all the ones at the end of each chapter in the book (they also have them online if you want to do them there instead) and all of the ones you get time to do. In all likelihood you probably won't finish all those Kaplan physics topical/subject/section tests anyway. Before doing the problems I'd suggest reading the summary at the end of each chapter and looking over the formulas. Kaplan also has the "foundation review" pdf online and you should look through that (just click on any physics lesson and look for something that has "additional material" in blue, it's a file you download)

ChocoMoo

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Ahh I too got destroyed on AAMC 4 with a 25 :-(

Got 9, 8, 8.

Choco- I too had a very hard time focusing on this one, hopefully my mind will be on its A game during the real test...

dont worry, we got this!!! I'm planning on taking a TRP FL on saturday :/ lets see if I went up 3 points in a week haha.

if u haven't already, take a look at those score reports for the AAMC FL's. They give you a pretty good breakdown of what your weaknesses are. On AAMC 3, I got like a 33% correct for acids and bases. So I re-studied that chapter in my gchem TBR. Then when I took AAMC 4, I got 100% in acids and bases. I was like "OMG THERE'S HOPE!" hahah

I hope everyone's studying is going well! Only 3 weeks left guys :scared:

bamboo44

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2010
Status
SoFreakedOut,

Do you have any OChem advice?? or anyone for that matter..anything to help with OChem will be appreciated.......thankss

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
SoFreakedOut,

Do you have any OChem advice?? or anyone for that matter..anything to help with OChem will be appreciated.......thankss
Hah, I'm still working on finishing content review for that subject. I'm on board with you about there being a lot of "random" extra reactions. Although people say it's not about memorizing, it's about "understanding" it, I still think there's a lot of memorization involved. Obviously you should understand what's going on but it does help to memorize that hot KMnO4, H+, and heat fully oxidizes a double bond (2 carboxylic acids when non terminal, 1CA + CO2 when terminal, Ketone when disubstituted). That way the moment you see KMnO4 you know what to do rather than thinking about electrophiles, nucleophiles, what could possibly happen, etc.

I think reviewing the reactions and doing extra problems will help drill the reactions in. I want to do non-passage based questions for it first (1001 Examcrackers has all the Orgo questions in the form of discretes). Getting answers wrong, going over them, and then getting similar questions right really helps with memorization more than writing the reaction out over and over (which makes me think I know it until I get a problem that's slightly tweeked). It helps you apply the concepts of the reaction to different reactants. Good luck, I'd like to hear what others are doing to know all the reactions in orgo too.