The Official 7/16/2010 MCAT club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is taking the MCAT on July 16th 8 AM?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting semi-burnt out from studying again... trying to push through...

You can do it!! We all can!!

Keep at it! :D

When I get burnt out...I listen to some motivational music..it helpsss!! You should try ittttt....!

You can do it!! We all can!!

Keep at it! :D

When I get burnt out...I listen to some motivational music..it helpsss!! You should try ittttt....!

I agree! I always listen to this its an hour and half long and it makes the time go by super fast! also it really helps me focus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWpSfkLyQc

Question: How well do you guys review the AAMC exam B.S and VR sections? I have trouble reviewing those two sections because I feel like I am wasting my time. So I usually I just end up reviewing the questions I got wrong or passages where I got more than 2 wrongs. Is that bad? should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! I always listen to this its an hour and half long and it makes the time go by super fast! also it really helps me focus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWpSfkLyQc

Question: How well do you guys review the AAMC exam B.S and VR sections? I have trouble reviewing those two sections because I feel like I am wasting my time. So I usually I just end up reviewing the questions I got wrong or passages where I got more than 2 wrongs. Is that bad? should I be concerned?

Thanks guys! This is my second time taking it AND I'm applying this year so it's been a bit stressful. For the AAMC exams - I'm doing a second run-through of the exams right now section by section.

I felt that the first time I wrote the exams it was a waste of time to review the BS and VR as well. With one MCAT administration under my belt, I would suggest reading the answer explanations carefully and seeing the pathway they used to arrive at the "correct" answer, especially the VR. This will help, especially since the normal test taker can come down to two answer choices in any given question.

For BS, if you've missed questions that were in the passage (as I certainly have), I suggest reading the explanation and then going back and reasoning it out carefully through the figures and text as the test maker explains it -- writing it out may be helpful. I would then go through each answer choice to see WHY that answer choice wouldn't be the best.

man I so don't want to study today! my whole family is home hanging out n I am in my room "trying" to study! ugh Can't wait till next Saturday!

man I so don't want to study today! my whole family is home hanging out n I am in my room "trying" to study! ugh Can't wait till next Saturday!

Haha you're telling me! I've got big plans coming up after I bomb this bad boy. I got my 21st birthday celebration waiting for me at LIV in the Fontainbleau in South Beach, a week cruise to Mexico in August, and a week long vacation in NYC after that. Hopefully, all of that will make up for my miserable summer so far LOL... :D

mmm... i'm taking it on the 16th too

ive taken a few practice tests and have done fine (36-37), but im starting to get nervous about a few things:

--running out of time. i tend to run over by about 5 minutes when i take practice tests
--the stress of the real test. i imagine myself getting to that first confusing passage, looking at the questions and realizing i need to reread the passage, getting nervous that i'm wasting time, etc. etc. i havent taken it before and am applying this cycle so this is my one shot

anyway, gl to you all during these last few days

mmm... i'm taking it on the 16th too

ive taken a few practice tests and have done fine (36-37), but im starting to get nervous about a few things:

--running out of time. i tend to run over by about 5 minutes when i take practice tests
--the stress of the real test. i imagine myself getting to that first confusing passage, looking at the questions and realizing i need to reread the passage, getting nervous that i'm wasting time, etc. etc. i havent taken it before and am applying this cycle so this is my one shot

anyway, gl to you all during these last few days

make sure to test under timed conditions the rest of the way. Good luck.

so I just finished aamc8 and bombed the verbal . this also happen with aamc7. aamc 3,4,5 I was getting 11s with ample time left over and suddenly I find myself with 30 seconds left and struggling! I dont know what happen! this is frustrating considering the test is in 5days!

so I just finished aamc8 and bombed the verbal . this also happen with aamc7. aamc 3,4,5 I was getting 11s with ample time left over and suddenly I find myself with 30 seconds left and struggling! I dont know what happen! this is frustrating considering the test is in 5days!

I too did really badly on 7 and 8 (Didn't it seem the VR passages were exceptionally long and convoluted?). Doing a lot of review today + some VR from EK101 and hoping to pwn 9 and 10 in the next 3 days.

I too did really badly on 7 and 8 (Didn't it seem the VR passages were exceptionally long and convoluted?). Doing a lot of review today + some VR from EK101 and hoping to pwn 9 and 10 in the next 3 days.

I did 7 yesterday...and I agree Verbal was pretty tough...Plus my mind was everywhere reading those passages...

Just took AAMC 10.....verbal was a total killer.....AAAHHH!! PS wasn't too bad..and BS was okay too..but verbal kicked my butt!!

My best score from AAMC 7-10...was AAMC 9 followed by 8,then 7, and then 10.

All I've got left is AAMC 6..which I'm gonna take on Tuesday! Hopefully it goes well.
:xf:

I really really want the real thing to go well...!!! Lets all walk in fierce and confident! :D

Just took AAMC 10.....verbal was a total killer.....AAAHHH!! PS wasn't too bad..and BS was okay too..but verbal kicked my butt!!

My best score from AAMC 7-10...was AAMC 9 followed by 8,then 7, and then 10.

All I've got left is AAMC 6..which I'm gonna take on Tuesday! Hopefully it goes well.
:xf:

I really really want the real thing to go well...!!! Lets all walk in fierce and confident! :D

relax on AAMC 10 VR. I saw a girl get a 32 on AAMC10 and walk out with a 40 on the real deal. Also I've seen many people say AAMC 10 VR is a killer. Don't fret on it.

AAMC 6 PS was very easy, also BS. Usually people take 7-10 last but whatever works. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

relax. You know you can get 11's so you just have to do what you've already done before.

relax. You know you can get 11's so you just have to do what you've already done before.

It's strange, but you can also have the exact opposite effect on the MCAT. In the sections that I normally excelled at on the MCAT, I did bad but on the one section that I sucked at... I did well. Go figure.

However, I'm starting to think that it maybe luck of the draw on the MCAT sometimes because a few people whom I know that scored -30 ended up scoring +35 on the MCAT the second time around with no actual strenuous studying to compensate.

I'm just hoping that this MCAT does not contain a lot of OCHEM or nonsense verbal passages about art.

It's strange, but you can also have the exact opposite effect on the MCAT. In the sections that I normally excelled at on the MCAT, I did bad but on the one section that I sucked at... I did well. Go figure.

However, I'm starting to think that it maybe luck of the draw on the MCAT sometimes because a few people whom I know that scored -30 ended up scoring +35 on the MCAT the second time around with no actual strenuous studying to compensate.

I'm just hoping that this MCAT does not contain a lot of OCHEM or nonsense verbal passages about art.

Absolutely each tests matters.

The difference b/t a 29 and a 35 could be as little as 3 VR questions, 2-4 BS and 2-4 PS questions. On a test that can chose between arguably 40 chapters of science topics, 3-4 questions on your favorite topic can be the difference between 5 points. Also VR, at least for me, a 3-4 question swing is very probable. I get a lot to 50/50 and then have trouble, sometimes I hit sometime I don't.

i completely agree that as little as 2 questions per section can all make the difference...im always 2 away from getting the next higher score! just means I should really pick and choose my answers carefully !

Good Luck everyone - 5 more days ....this is getting pretty crazy intense!

have you guys taken aamc8 yet? i bombed it--totally kills my confidence =/

have you guys taken aamc8 yet? i bombed it--totally kills my confidence =/

I did worse on 7 but also didn't do well on 8. Taking 9 in an hour or so, hoping to kick its ass :D

Even though its damn near impossible, we gotta keep positive! Only a few more days of hell left!

You guys should take 9 for sure..its much better than 7 & 8. :) When I saw the earthquake passage on the PS part of 7...I was like WTF?? But yeah...I mean I guess its good to get a few WTF passages in practice so that way on the real thing we're not totally shocked.

Guys good luck on the mcat! I took the 7/8 one and yea its a beast =(.
My scores for 7-10 were 36 32 36 37 (mainly cause of verbal which is always a 10 or 11 -_-). Whatever you do, do NOT spend 20 minutes on 1 passage!!! Unless it's the only passage left

Good luck on the MCAT guys ....lets do this ...still verbal is killing me but it should be alrite ....and ya remember
DO your best and forget the rest !!!!

Im going to finish studying tomorrow. Then take Wed, and Thursday completely off to be ready for Friday.

Woot! Did much better on today's practice exam (aamc 9) :D

Yeah the physics and bio was easy but I didn't do so well on the bio b/c I felt like I rushed in answering some of the questions... Verbal was pretty tough though.

Guys good luck on the mcat! I took the 7/8 one and yea its a beast =(.
My scores for 7-10 were 36 32 36 37 (mainly cause of verbal which is always a 10 or 11 -_-). Whatever you do, do NOT spend 20 minutes on 1 passage!!! Unless it's the only passage left

I wish I could get 10 or 11 on verbal... =.[

Yeah the physics and bio was easy but I didn't do so well on the bio b/c I felt like I rushed in answering some of the questions... Verbal was pretty tough though.

Yeah I felt this one was a bit easier also, unless my studying is just really paying off. lol

I got 11's on every section, just one or two ?s on each section would have gotten me my target score! I really hope by some fluke this happens to me on test day :)

I feel like after the first essay, even if I'm on a roll on it, my second essay suffers every time. Especially if the second one is about politics in any way.

I keep getting 8s and 9s on verbal. To those of you who are getting 10+, was there a point in your studying when you were at 8s and 9s? If so, how did you improve?

Just finished up AAMC 9 earlier today....my verbal sucKKED at least they had a generous curve...I thought I would be able to be ok with this but now getting a little worried about my past 3 exams not doing well...and I am completely exhausted, but I have one more to do tomorrow AAMC 10 and and do light review from the rest of the way til Friday...

We are almost there!!!:thumbup:

i got owned on VR for AAMC 9. But I found that my focus was off, I've studied pretty hard the last month and a half, so my brain was wearing.

Light day tomorrow and aamc10 wed. the aamc10 vr is supposed to be rough to.

I feel like I'd be a superstar if I knew how to read.

the past two weeks
aamc 10: 31
aamc 8: 28 wtf.
aamc 9: 34
aamc 7: 34
aamc 5: 34

debating on whether to take 4 or 6 on wednesday as my last FL ...
trying really hard to avoid burnout
and praying that friday's test isnt heavy on E&M

I keep getting 8s and 9s on verbal. To those of you who are getting 10+, was there a point in your studying when you were at 8s and 9s? If so, how did you improve?

I guess it's a matter of practice hours. Have you ever compared the amount of hours dedicated to the science sections with that dedicated to verbal?
I know my ratio tends to the science side. Just get a huge bunch of passages to practice with. For the first time this week I found facebook really useful for practicing. just search for a product/service called MCAT and you can get some free verbal passages and a verbal guide if you agree to comment on the level of questions.

I hope it's not too late to join the party! :D

I am retaking. I have been studying for 2 months and I hope it will pay off.

Bio is my weakest section right now....

i got owned on VR for AAMC 9. But I found that my focus was off, I've studied pretty hard the last month and a half, so my brain was wearing.

Light day tomorrow and aamc10 wed. the aamc10 vr is supposed to be rough to.

I feel like I'd be a superstar if I knew how to read.

I thought AAMC 10 was one of the easier ones (got 12 and usually get 10/11). To be honest, I think that the level of difficulty is dependent on the person. I freaking hate those ******** humanities passages. The natural sciences passages are usually a joke. The social sciences passages are meh....

I thought AAMC 10 was one of the easier ones (got 12 and usually get 10/11). To be honest, I think that the level of difficulty is dependent on the person. I freaking hate those ******** humanities passages. The natural sciences passages are usually a joke. The social sciences passages are meh....

Definitely agree. I do a lot better on the natural/social science passages than on humanities passages. Hopefully they have only one or two humanities passages on the real thing..lets just see! :xf:

I'm taking my last AAMC starting in a few minutes..and then tomorrow and the day after are just light review/relax days.

Can't wait for this to be overrrrr!! :)

Definitely agree. I do a lot better on the natural/social science passages than on humanities passages. Hopefully they have only one or two humanities passages on the real thing..lets just see! :xf:

I'm taking my last AAMC starting in a few minutes..and then tomorrow and the day after are just light review/relax days.

Good luck! Taking mine tomorrow, today I'm going over some of my weaker subjects and doing a lot of practice problems.

Best advice ive read was to spend 8 minutes per passage. in the end ur supposed to end up with an extra 4 minutes (im usually left with two). Since I started doing this I havent gotten below an 11 on verbal.

I'm just not a reader. I've never scored 11 on VR, on AAMC's I've gotten a few 10's and one time I got a 5. I kind of laughed and forgot about it, hoping that I end up closer to my average.

As I reviewed my 5 I noticed I wasn't paying attention half the time. I swear I have a minor form of ADD combined with average reading skills. I just want to pull off a 10 on VR.

Best advice ive read was to spend 8 minutes per passage. in the end ur supposed to end up with an extra 4 minutes (im usually left with two). Since I started doing this I havent gotten below an 11 on verbal.

Yeah. I think my major flaw too is I'm a "never satisfied with my answer" type of person. I just need to say screw it and move on more often, but I always want that right answer (my math/science nature) and I try to confirm it sometimes too. I'll try to stick to 4/4 (read passages slower 4 min and 4 min on Q's) on AAMC 10 and the test. Sometimes I run into questions and I'm like, "****, I have no idea what this is." Then I spend 2:30 minutes trying to figure it out, then I get time busted at the end of the VR section.

good luck :) hopefully your score falls where you want to be.

i actually do the 8 minute per passage thing, too. verbal is my most consistent section ... i usually end up scoring an 11, and i'm fine with that.

the difference between getting an 11 and a 13 can be a matter of a couple of questions on VR, but when i stress over each question and freak out about getting those extra points, I find myself too pressed for time come the last two passages. for me, that's counterproductive. so i just spend 8 minutes on each passage and make sure i answer every question, even if there's 6-7 overall i feel pretty crappy about. then i have about 2 minutes at the end of the section to calm myself down and go over anything i have time to review ... having those 2 minutes has really helped me not feel like a wreck going into writing and bio

Good luck everyone! I finally submitted my application today. I know I am kinda "latish" but with work and this MCAT stuff I have not had the time. So the pressure is on. See you guys on the other side!!

Good luck everyone! I finally submitted my application today. I know I am kinda "latish" but with work and this MCAT stuff I have not had the time. So the pressure is on. See you guys on the other side!!

Hey dont worry ....I still have to submit my application gonna do it after 16th July as it doesnt really matters as most of the schools dont consider your applications until they receive your MCAT scores ...correct me if I m wrong ...hopefully I ll figure out my PS after 16th and submit asap ...
Good Luck studyin ....

I can't bring myself to study anymore, so I'm pretty much relaxing this week just getting ready for the big day. I'll look over some orgo, but that's pretty much it... good luck guys!

Hey dont worry ....I still have to submit my application gonna do it after 16th July as it doesnt really matters as most of the schools dont consider your applications until they receive your MCAT scores ...correct me if I m wrong ...hopefully I ll figure out my PS after 16th and submit asap ...
Good Luck studyin ....

You should take your time. I did not want to submit but my school has a deadline for the committee letter. I feel like I could have articulated things better in my application and gotten more than one person to proof read but I did not really have time. I just finished entering everything in yesterday and I got one of my prof to read it and I had to submit it today to meet the deadline.

Good luck with everything! I hope we all do really good!