The Official 8/15/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome August 15ers! Thought I'd get this started since anyone doing a 3 month study schedule is going to be starting up soon. Good luck to everyone, and hopefully we can help each other out through this beast!

I just sat for the 4/26 exam which was pretty rough, and I know given the summer to study I can do much better. Let's do this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a dream last night where I checked my score and it said I got a 25, but my subscores were only 9, 5, 9. I should've inceptioned that s*** and realized that it was a dream right then but it felt very real and I was sooooooo sad that I did so poorly.

Don't worry dude, we all felt like we failed it. To be honest, the test was extremely out of scope, there were a few things that AAMC said would not be on the test, and it was on the test. The test writer, esp for the sciences were just being jerks. They knew that they can get away with writing a terrible test, even when it was out of scope! I do believe that I am allowed to express my personal opinion as I have not released any information on the actual exam on August 15ths. So yeah, I know for sure, I guessed a a few questions because a few questions were like WTH is going on, this passage doesn't make sense, and thanks for putting some random paragraph in, and confusing us even more of what you want us to get from the sciences... So in the end, we all prob did bad on this exam so lets hope we just passed and get the score we want.

Is it bad that I'm delusional and think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by a great score? Even though I felt awful coming out of the test & know I guessed on a handful in each section? Why do I feel this way now haha. Talk about an emotional roller coaster.

Oh well, school starts tomorrow, that will be a wonderful distraction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad that I'm delusional and think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by a great score? Even though I felt awful coming out of the test & know I guessed on a handful in each section? Why do I feel this way now haha. Talk about an emotional roller coaster.

I feel the same way :p My emotions are all over the place

Despite my dreams of a crappy score, I try and stay pretty optimistic (hoping for 30+). My brother even said he had a dream I got a 36, which I don't even drink but I would go get smashed to celebrate if that was true haha. I can say with 99.9% certainty that isn't the case.

As long as it's possible I guessed right on a lot of questions however.....
58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

Don't worry dude, we all felt like we failed it. To be honest, the test was extremely out of scope, there were a few things that AAMC said would not be on the test, and it was on the test. The test writer, esp for the sciences were just being jerks. They knew that they can get away with writing a terrible test, even when it was out of scope! I do believe that I am allowed to express my personal opinion as I have not released any information on the actual exam on August 15ths. So yeah, I know for sure, I guessed a a few questions because a few questions were like WTH is going on, this passage doesn't make sense, and thanks for putting some random paragraph in, and confusing us even more of what you want us to get from the sciences... So in the end, we all prob did bad on this exam so lets hope we just passed and get the score we want.

You lost credibility with me here because the AAMC has never released any sort of statement concerning topics that will explicitly be excluded.

You lost credibility with me here because the AAMC has never released any sort of statement concerning topics that will explicitly be excluded.

By "AAMC," OP probably meant a prep company book/tutor who said erroneously that so-and-so topic would not be on the exam.

OP: look at the content outlines AAMC publishes. Then decide if the topics tested were out of scope.

I feel the same way :p My emotions are all over the place

Me too guys. I am optimistic that I will hit the upper range of my AAMC scores, but im hesitant that my brain is just tricking me. Its just those 2 or 3 questions that are left lingering in my mind... did I get them right!? could be the difference between a 33 and 36! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Me too guys. I am optimistic that I will hit the upper range of my AAMC scores, but im hesitant that my brain is just tricking me. Its just those 2 or 3 questions that are left lingering in my mind... did I get them right!? could be the difference between a 33 and 36! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Exactly!!! I'm planning on going in with the mindset that I got what I got last time (26) and it should be a very pleasant surprise, regardless of the number.

Two weeks. There'd be nothing like an amazon gift card to hold me over (kinda)...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm convinced I'm going to get a 7 on verbal. I normally know I did well after verbal and it's always my best score. I wasted time on one confusing question on the first passage and don't remember anything about verbal after I took the exam.

I'm convinced I'm going to get a 7 on verbal. I normally know I did well after verbal and it's always my best score. I wasted time on one confusing question on the first passage and don't remember anything about verbal after I took the exam.

I'm really afraid of my verbal score as well. I averaged 8 on FLs, but the way a lot of people were saying they thought it was easy (myself included) makes me think the curve is going to be crazy hard.

At this point I'll be happy with just a 25. Anything higher and I'll be ecstatic. Anything lower and I think its time to consider another path, lol.

I think I did at least as well as my AAMC averages (29) but the fact that my scores were growing and peaked at 33, then went back to 30 on aamc 11 makes me uneasy..because I was disappointed in 29 or 30 and hoped i'd do better :(

How do you guys know what section? Mine just says what percent I scored correctly. How can I tell if that's referring to biochem or psych? I had a lot of psych questions and I think a few biochem.

43% as well. I'm not terribly worried though because I know I skimmed the passages at best and was done in about 20 minutes flat. However, for those of you who think you "did so bad--I'll get a 25 etc etc who are getting 50%+" just stop. Lol. You may not get a 35 but I'm sure you will all be fine :thumbup: :)

How do you guys know what section? Mine just says what percent I scored correctly. How can I tell if that's referring to biochem or psych? I had a lot of psych questions and I think a few biochem.

The AAMC website says that the trial section gives you "32 new questions in either: biochemistry, biology, chemistry, and physics or in psychology, sociology and biology," so it sounds like you had the latter.

I've taken 3 trials in my life (this was the 2nd) and I've only ever had biochem/chem questions. Never a psch/soc. Weird.

Lol bro hallucinations

No way you had both psych and biochem.

43% as well. I'm not terribly worried though because I know I skimmed the passages at best and was done in about 20 minutes flat. However, for those of you who think you "did so bad--I'll get a 25 etc etc who are getting 50%+" just stop. Lol. You may not get a 35 but I'm sure you will all be fine :thumbup: :)

That would be awesome! But I don't think it will happen :(

I'm not even attempting to guess what I got on the real deal, but for the socio trial section I got in top quarter. I'm hoping that, at least, translates to some degree of VR competency/alertness. :ninja:

I pulled off a whopping 44% which apparently puts me in the top 50%... and I gave up reading the passages when I realized that I had. no. clue. what they were about. Was wishing I hadn't agreed to do the trial section-- but now I have my Amazon gift code so guess it was worthwhile to some degree.

40% in biochem. Not taking it in any light because I was braindead and literally guessed randomly on most of this haha.

Scores are usually out between 3 and 3:30pm on the release date
Thank you!
I guess it's a good thing it's in the middle of an important class...it'll keep me focused until 4:10pm, atime which the scores should certainly be out?

I pulled off a whopping 44% which apparently puts me in the top 50%... and I gave up reading the passages when I realized that I had. no. clue. what they were about. Was wishing I hadn't agreed to do the trial section-- but now I have my Amazon gift code so guess it was worthwhile to some degree.
I too pulled off a 44%
I certainly know at certain points in that section I was just guessing, though ... just wanted to go home.

Thank you!
I guess it's a good thing it's in the middle of an important class...it'll keep me focused until 4:10pm, atime which the scores should certainly be out?

Yea definitely, I've only heard of the scores coming out earlier than 3:30, not later. They also post on the aamc mcat twitter acount that the scores are out.

Wow, pulled off a 41% on the psych/soc. I have no idea how I did that. I started to read the passages, and the first few went smoothly. If it was something I didn't know, which was most of them because a lot of it was theory based stuff I have not studied, I just went with my gut feeling on the questions. After I was about 20 minutes in (most of which was spent contemplating my existence) I was dunzo.

Misery loves company. What's up, fellow 41%er! :laugh:

I remember that I only knew how to do that math related passages in the trial section, all the psych/soc stuff I just guessed on. Apparently, I'm not a very good guesser.

gift card used on a candle warmer and some scented wax, going to need some aroma therapy to balance the hysterics that will follow the full release of scores on Tuesday :scared::cry:

If you bothered to read the rest of the thread or the AAMC website you would know the social section also has some bio questions.

If you bothered to read my post properly instead of jumping at a pathetic chance to get at me, you would know that I wrote "biochem," which is entirely distinct (though subtly) from "biology.". Also, you would have noticed that OP explicitly wrote "biochem," and therefore I was disagreeing with that assertion as such. It is impossible to get both psych and biochem. He is mixing the two subjects up, which is why I facetiously called it a "hallucination."