The Official 8/4/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's in? I just rescheduled from June 21st. I've been studying off and on since late march, but really started to kick it in about three weeks ago. Applying DO this cycle.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also taking it on Aug 4th. So far I finished the first 4 chapters of TBR, but feel like I retained nothing, especially in Physics.

I'm on Aug 3; this is close enough. Also following SN2, around chapter 5 in each book.

I'm also taking it on Aug 4th. So far I finished the first 4 chapters of TBR, but feel like I retained nothing, especially in Physics.

I just finished the 4th chapter in Physics in TBR today and got blown up, big time. It's pretty disheartening, as I'm fresh off of physics 1 material and know torque COLD. Some of those torque questions in the passages made me feel like a *****.

Anyway, using TBR for Physics and Gen chem, using EK for biology and organic (Idon't need TBR's depth for organic) Also using the 1001's and Kaplan's qbank, which is highly underrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm totally getting owned on physics

I got a 9/22 on chapter 3 phase 1
8/21 chapter 3 phase 2
8/21 chapter 4 phase 1

I really feel like this stuff isn't sticking. I'm thinking of spending 3 straight days with physics nova to solidify my fragile foundation before continuing tbr

I am considering a re-take on this date, but am worried that it is too late if I am applying this cycle? (i.e. I am going to apply with my current (decent, not good) score in the next two weeks, then attach this new score onto the application process in September?) Is that possible/practical?

Just finalized it and registered for this date... lets hope I don't choke again like I did in april...

I am trying the TBR route this time for a change... but I've used almost all the aamc practice exams...any advice where I can buy some good ones that are similar, because the aamc ones seemed tremendously easier then the real thing

8/21 chapter 3 phase 2
8/21 chapter 4 phase 1

I really feel like this stuff isn't sticking. I'm thinking of spending 3 straight days with physics nova to solidify my fragile foundation before continuing tbr

Keep at it man. I'm getting close to 60% right on the passages. I don't know about nova, but I feel that berkeley will stiffen up your foundation quite well if you take your time and do your best to be active in absorbing it all. It's not as brief as EK.

And remember: It's well known and on purpose that the passages from TBR will kick your ass. It's what the authors tried to do, to simplify the real test. I've spoken with people in the past that confirmed that it made test day more straight forward. I've been hearing a lot of people feel like they're getting beat to a pulp by this years tests. I wonder if the overall scores will reflect that.

We'll get there man. :thumbup:

I am considering a re-take on this date, but am worried that it is too late if I am applying this cycle? (i.e. I am going to apply with my current (decent, not good) score in the next two weeks, then attach this new score onto the application process in September?) Is that possible/practical?

'tis exactly what I'm doing. My first score was a 30S, so this is a retake for me. Most schools will wait to process your app if they know you are re-writing, however.

Just finalized it and registered for this date... lets hope I don't choke again like I did in april...

I am trying the TBR route this time for a change... but I've used almost all the aamc practice exams...any advice where I can buy some good ones that are similar, because the aamc ones seemed tremendously easier then the real thing

TBR Full lengths are your next best bet.

8/21 chapter 3 phase 2
8/21 chapter 4 phase 1

Make sure you're thoroughly reviewing; it will help increase your score as you do the second and third round of questions - the questions are tough and the first time through the questions is usually still a "learning" process; for me at least.

'tis exactly what I'm doing. My first score was a 30S, so this is a retake for me. Most schools will wait to process your app if they know you are re-writing, however.

I am retaking on 8/1. I wish I knew this as I wouldn't have included this information on my application. Does this negate the benefits of applying early?

is it better for those with a low mcat score (like me) to retake the mcat before submitting primaries (even though it will be a late app) if there is a high probability of getting autoscreened?

is it better for those with a low mcat score (like me) to retake the mcat before submitting primaries (even though it will be a late app) if there is a high probability of getting autoscreened?

Please ask this elsewhere. This thread is reserved for August 4th MCAT discussion.

So anyway, I'm feeling a little more confident with the Berkeley material as time goes on. I very informally took a Kaplan full length yesterday. I skipped verbal. My scores weren't at all impressive, but reviewing the ones I got right showed me that the topics I've covered thus far with TBR, I just about ACED! Also, the full length questions seemed so much more sophomoric compared to the berkeley beast passages I've experienced. My PS score would have been (I know, talk is cheap) 2-3 points higher but I had two passages on topics I am in the dark on (1 sound and 1 optics passage).

Doing the 2nd 1/3rd of Berkeley passages today, and got 52% correct on my first couple of sections (Work & equilibrium), then got a 65% on the Microbiology 30 minute exam.

How's everyone else coming along? :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on re taking it on Aug 4th as well. I'm focusing on Organic and Bio for now...completely neglected it the first time around. This time around I plan on finishing EK 1001 for both subjects. As far as Physics I'm doing Nova, TBR is soooo lengthy to me so imma just stick to that

Planning on re taking it on Aug 4th as well. I'm focusing on Organic and Bio for now...completely neglected it the first time around. This time around I plan on finishing EK 1001 for both subjects. As far as Physics I'm doing Nova, TBR is soooo lengthy to me so imma just stick to that

Good luck. I've heard consistantly that EK 1001 bio isn't worth the money, so I passed it.

Lacking some SERIOUS motivation today. Can barely get off the couch. :(

Some chapters in TBR physics are worse than others; it's a weakness for me so I've been doing TBR and it seems to be helping my understanding.

Good luck. I've heard consistantly that EK 1001 bio isn't worth the money, so I passed it.

Lacking some SERIOUS motivation today. Can barely get off the couch. :(

I've wasted 3 hours watching CSI: Las Vegas :scared:

I've wasted 3 hours watching CSI: Las Vegas :scared:

Glad I'm not the only one struggling here. :laugh::thumbup:

I changed my verbal strategy a little bit (per what I read on here), and so far it's been paying off. Using EK 101, yesterday my two passages were 8/12 (not bad), and todays two passages were 9/11. I will add, however, that one of the passages today was politics based, which I normally tank, and I was 5/5 on it. Going to keep pushing.

We've got lots of time left, but man I want to push through this content review and move into full lengths already. Then I'll see exactly how badly I can do. :scared:

Glad I'm not the only one struggling here. :laugh::thumbup:

I changed my verbal strategy a little bit (per what I read on here), and so far it's been paying off. Using EK 101, yesterday my two passages were 8/12 (not bad), and todays two passages were 9/11. I will add, however, that one of the passages today was politics based, which I normally tank, and I was 5/5 on it. Going to keep pushing.

We've got lots of time left, but man I want to push through this content review and move into full lengths already. Then I'll see exactly how badly I can do. :scared:

I'm the exact opposite. On EK101 I can usually get perfect or one wrong per passage but, as soon as I hit one on politics, I fall to 1-2 correct!

Must be because I'm a Canadian; American politics is so confusing! :laugh:

I'm the exact opposite. On EK101 I can usually get perfect or one wrong per passage but, as soon as I hit one on politics, I fall to 1-2 correct!

Must be because I'm a Canadian; American politics is so confusing! :laugh:

Yeah, I usually get trumped by the political ones too. They've been the bane of my verbal existence. Getting better though. I'm treating it like a big puzzle now. :idea:

Oh wow ok, what study material do you recommend for Bio then?

EK Bio supplemented w/TBR. I've noticed that sometimes EK is too vague on concepts, but maybe that's just me. Definitely TBR for passages though.

After boasting about my recent VR success, I went ahead a pulled a 2/6 on a passage. :rolleyes:

I was on par for a 10+ for the total test, and now I'll be happy with a 9. Still better than the 6 I got on the first test.

I've also recently been thinking that I'm blowing through TBR chapters entirely too fast. I can go through a thick chapter in a little over 2 hours. Then, I read on here that people are spending 6+ hours on that very same chapter. Well, that 46% I got on the buffers passage was a wakeup call. I need to stop doing the readings for completion, and start doing them for understanding and content absorption.

Going much better today with periodic motion and waves.

After boasting about my recent VR success, I went ahead a pulled a 2/6 on a passage. :rolleyes:

I was on par for a 10+ for the total test, and now I'll be happy with a 9. Still better than the 6 I got on the first test.

I've also recently been thinking that I'm blowing through TBR chapters entirely too fast. I can go through a thick chapter in a little over 2 hours. Then, I read on here that people are spending 6+ hours on that very same chapter. Well, that 46% I got on the buffers passage was a wakeup call. I need to stop doing the readings for completion, and start doing them for understanding and content absorption.

Going much better today with periodic motion and waves.

My VR has actually been going up. I started with a 9, now I am scoring around 11. Don't know what has happened but, I feel I better understand what I'm reading. I'm also getting through the passages in about 6min 30 sec.

It depends how you read them. I used to take 6-8 hours to read them since I would read and take extensive notes. I've reduced that time to about 3-4 hours since I don't take extensive notes anymore. The re-read days tend to also take me less time.

EK Bio supplemented w/TBR. I've noticed that sometimes EK is too vague on concepts, but maybe that's just me. Definitely TBR for passages though.

Yeah I've noticed that too, even on the Organic lesson book they say that you only need to know the basics for Organic so studying other material is pointless. As much as I don't want to read all of that I think Im going to give it a try this time around. When do you guys plan on taking the full length AAMC practice exams?

Yeah I've noticed that too, even on the Organic lesson book they say that you only need to know the basics for Organic so studying other material is pointless. As much as I don't want to read all of that I think Im going to give it a try this time around. When do you guys plan on taking the full length AAMC practice exams?

Knowing the basics is important for Organic and I think TBR gives detailed and great explanations of the very basics that help you understand why something is the way it is. While they may provide to much detail in specific areas of reactions, I find that there explanations of basic concepts is great.

When do you guys plan on taking the full length AAMC practice exams?

I'm going to start on the AAMC's (or kaplan's...just full lengths in general) as soon as I finish my content review, in about 3 weeks.

How's everybody's weekend going? I took an accidental day off yesterday. :thumbdown: A buddy showed up to my apartment, cracked a few beers, and he left 7 hours later. :rolleyes:

Rereading my chapters from this week, and hitting up EK 1001's and 2 30 minute bio exams. Wish me luck. :sleep:

Re-take...I got a 29O ( 9 10 10 ) the first time around. Already submitted my applications, hoping this MCAT score allows me to be more attractive to the private schools who super score.

My advice from my last test:

Sleep...If your test is at 1 pm and you don't fall asleep the night before than by the time it starts you will be as dead as I was.
Use the bathroom...my testing center had a screwed up men's bathroom
Take your full breaks between sections, and have a plan on what to do during your break.
Do as many of the AAMC computer tests as you can afford. If you have all of them, do them in order. At the bare minimum do the free practice test 3. If you can afford one test do 11.
Be confident, but don't be a dick.

Good Luck! :luck:

hey 8/04 people. are you all applying this cycle or next?

Applying DO this cycle.

I'm late man. Finishing up personal statement, and waiting to hear back from the 3 schools I've attended as to getting AACOMAS the transcripts.

Did gases this afternoon and netted a 74% on passages. Feels good man. :thumbup:

So apparently people got done blowed up by today's PS section. Sounds like once again, the Bio section called for inferences from the passage. It also sounded like PS was a bit more conceptual and a little less math this time.

What does this tell me? This ****'s random. There have been super calculation heavy PS. Here's what I expect:

-TOUGH PS. Either calculation or conceptual, it's gonna be a rough one.
-Long VR. Everyone says that passages are a bit longer than they're used to, and it wears them out.
-Critical BS. Answering first from the passage, and second from content base.

What do you guys think?

I think it will be like nothing we expected, and afterwards we will think it was way harder than other peoples. That is what happened the first time at least. :)

Berkeley really grinds my gears sometimes. I swear, it will give you 8 rules of gravity during the chapter, and in the review passage it will ask you for the 9th rule.

Anyway, it's starting to hit home a bit more exactly how well I need to do on this exam. I mean, like 32+. I feel confident that my verbal will be 11+, but damn it, I need my sciences to be at least 10's.

I'm hurrying up through gen chem and bio content review, as that's what it is...review. I'm now touching on physics 2 material, a class I have yet to take. I ideally want to finished with content review by July 3rd at the latest. This gives me 30 days to take full lengths, review them, and connect the dots.

My last full length I took was in like March, and it was a 7/7/7. Terrible, but my PS has strengthened tremendously since then, VR is way stronger, and BS is a little bit better. I'd really like to hit a 25 at least for my first full length after finishing content review. Goal is a 33, and I think I can do that through reviewing full lengths and documenting trends and weaknesses.

Where's everybody else at?

Berkeley really grinds my gears sometimes. I swear, it will give you 8 rules of gravity during the chapter, and in the review passage it will ask you for the 9th rule.

Anyway, it's starting to hit home a bit more exactly how well I need to do on this exam. I mean, like 32+. I feel confident that my verbal will be 11+, but damn it, I need my sciences to be at least 10's.

I'm hurrying up through gen chem and bio content review, as that's what it is...review. I'm now touching on physics 2 material, a class I have yet to take. I ideally want to finished with content review by July 3rd at the latest. This gives me 30 days to take full lengths, review them, and connect the dots.

My last full length I took was in like March, and it was a 7/7/7. Terrible, but my PS has strengthened tremendously since then, VR is way stronger, and BS is a little bit better. I'd really like to hit a 25 at least for my first full length after finishing content review. Goal is a 33, and I think I can do that through reviewing full lengths and documenting trends and weaknesses.

Where's everybody else at?

I am more or less where you are at. A bit behind in Orgo though.

I am more or less where you are at. A bit behind in Orgo though.

I'm actually saving Organic for last. I'm using Examkrackers for it, though, as I'm still pretty fresh in it. I"ll spend about a week on Organic, and hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. I can't imagine it will take more than a quick refresher though. I hope. :scared:

I just finished up Waves, sound, phase changes, and gases.

Gen chem isn't a weakness, that's for sure. However, waves are. I don't know what it is about them that's just over my head, but I intend to figure it out. I usually tear EK 1001's up, and even waves got the best of me there as well.

Berkeley fluids tomorrow.

At this point, I'm half done with the NOVA Physics book, and done with the first book of all the other books. I'm still getting owned on verbal though. My scores on verbal are really inconsistent. Sometimes I'm getting 1-2 wrong per passage, and other days I'm getting half wrong per passage. Any advice?

At this point, I'm half done with the NOVA Physics book, and done with the first book of all the other books. I'm still getting owned on verbal though. My scores on verbal are really inconsistent. Sometimes I'm getting 1-2 wrong per passage, and other days I'm getting half wrong per passage. Any advice?

i starting mouthing the words while reading the passages and it seems to help me. this was after the warm up i took below:

(6/21/2012) warm up: 10/17
(6/26/2012) EK #1: 23/40 (7)
(6/27/2012) EK #2: 26/40 (8)
(6/28/2012) EK #3: 27/40 (8)

note: i received a 6 on VR on the 5/19 and am signed up to retake on this date

Def kicking it into high gear

I'm trying to do the same myself.

I have remaining:

Gen Chem:

-Kinetics
-Electrochemistry (this KILLED me when I took the class)

Physics:

-Electromagnetism
-Circuits
-Light and Optics

Biology:

-Cardiovascular
-Muscle Bone and Skin

Organic:

-Entire EK book. Going to beast through this in 2 days (orgo is still fresh)

I'm really hustling to be done with content review by 7/3 but not sure if I'll reach that goal. I'm planning on taking AAMC on the fourth of July (I have nothing else to do that day. :laugh:)

Physics is a killer though. I haven't taken physics 2, so all this information from Sound-on is new to me. Really trying to get an intuitive feel for it, though. Once I take AAMC, depending on my score, I'm going to kill myself for 2 weeks. I mean really get after it. I read all the time about people bumping up their score like 8 points in two weeks, and I'd like to get exactly that. I figure if I get a 24 on AAMC 3 I'll be on track (Shooting for a 33). My last FL (march) was a 7/7/7 and I know 3x as much information now than I did then. I hope I don't pull like a 19 on aamc 3. I'll cry.

I'm going to review the all-mighty hell out of everything I miss.

Almost crunch time ladies and gentleman! Lets get it! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Going to make a brief schedule I intend to adhere to to finish my content review.

Today: Finish Thermochemistry
Friday: Electromagnetism
Saturday: Kinetics and Cardiovascular
Sunday: Circuits
Monday: Electrochemistry and Muscle/Bone/Skin
Tuesday: Light and Optics
Wednesday: AAMC 3!

Anybody else work? Man, I've been working 30+ hours per week this entire time. I don't get home until like 7pm, and man I don't feel like cracking a book then. Tomorrow I work 10a-7p, and I have a feeling Electromagnetism is going to molest me. /complaint

The thing that seemed to immediately help me with VR was to constantly question the passage. After every paragraph I try to organize my thoughts and question "Why did they write this? Does this tie in with the other paragraphs? What is the author trying to get across, and what is the main theme?"

I got a 6 (20/40) on EK VR test 1 and a 9 (28/40) on EK VR test 2. I read the passage carefully and with purpose and attack the answers. I rarely go back to the passage after reading it. Obviously, a 9 isn't something to gloat over. However, there was an instant change in my scores when I adopted the new tactic.