The Official 9/02/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhappytnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early?

Members don't see this ad.

Damn my score looks like junk compared to everyone else that's been reporting? (keyword: reporting)

Am I the ONLY one in the 30-34 range? wtf?

I would be happy with a score in that range. At the end of the day, the MCAT is only one part of the application. As long as you get into medical school, it doesn't matter if you get in with a 32 or a 42.

32Q. It's not awful, but I won't be getting into MD/PhDs with it.

I knew for the entire month that I did bad. I knew it the moment I walked out.
But seeing it today is just a whole new level of disappointment. I worked very hard for it and not getting a good score really just hammers my self-esteem.

I'm just going to be directionless and lost for the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be happy with a score in that range. At the end of the day, the MCAT is only one part of the application. As long as you get into medical school, it doesn't matter if you get in with a 32 or a 42.

PREACH! Everyone, embrace your score. Do your secondaries or start planning to retake the test. All in all be grateful because you could have scored lower but you didn't.

First Timer here....
Preparation: Bought BR books, EK 1001 Series, EK Bio, and had Princeton Hyperlearning Series books. Worked through all of the BR books except for Bio, used EK Bio book. Did about half the passages in the BR books, didn't even touch the EK 1001 Series books, and didn't look at the PR books (although I took the class the previous summer but didn't do the work, just attended lecture). Worked through all the BR tests (average: 35) and all the AAMC tests (average: 36) Highest PS = 15, VR = 13, B = 13, but averaged 13/11/12 on AAMC.

Predicted: 14 PS / 10 VR / 10 B / ?

After the test: Felt pretty confident about the PS, shaky about VR, and very shaky about Biology. Finished PS 15 minutes early, worked until the end with VR, guessed on 5 questions on the B section and it was the first time I didn't have about 10-15 minutes left over for B. Oh and bs'ed writing completely

Actual: 14 PS / 11 VR / 11 B / R

36R :D

Parents suggesting that I retake only because Biology score was low. Is it worth retaking if I'm considering top 10 med schools? (Not MSTP)

Worked through all the BR tests (average: 35) and all the AAMC tests (average: 36) Highest PS = 15, VR = 13, B = 13, but averaged 13/11/12 on AAMC.
Parents suggesting that I retake only because Biology score was low. Is it worth retaking if I'm considering top 10 med schools? (Not MSTP)

Great job!

I wouldn't retake. The composite was right in your practice range despite the low BS.
If you want higher, don't sign up until you are consistently scoring several points higher on practice (that you haven't already taken, of course).

40Q VR: 13 PS: 12 BS: 15 W: Q :love:

246ph03.png

Practice test scores:
Test: Total (PS, VR, BS)
TBR#1: 34 (11, 11, 12)
TBR#2: 36(11, 13, 12)
TBR#3: 31 (12, 9, 10)
TBR#4: 35 (12, 11, 12)
TBR#5: 34 (10, 12, 12)
AAMC#3: 32 (10, 11, 11)
TBR#6: 35 (11, 12, 12)
AAMC4: 37 (11, 13, 13)
AAMC5: 37 (13, 11, 13)
AAMC#7: 40 (13, 13, 14) O_O
AAMC#8: 39 (14, 11, 14)
AAMC#9: 38 (14, 11, 13)
AAMC#10: 37 (13, 11, 13)
AAMC#11: 37 (11, 11, 15)

Congrats! Awesome score. The improvement in your FL tests is truly amazing.

First Timer here....
Preparation: Bought BR books, EK 1001 Series, EK Bio, and had Princeton Hyperlearning Series books. Worked through all of the BR books except for Bio, used EK Bio book. Did about half the passages in the BR books, didn't even touch the EK 1001 Series books, and didn't look at the PR books (although I took the class the previous summer but didn't do the work, just attended lecture). Worked through all the BR tests (average: 35) and all the AAMC tests (average: 36) Highest PS = 15, VR = 13, B = 13, but averaged 13/11/12 on AAMC.

Predicted: 14 PS / 10 VR / 10 B / ?

After the test: Felt pretty confident about the PS, shaky about VR, and very shaky about Biology. Finished PS 15 minutes early, worked until the end with VR, guessed on 5 questions on the B section and it was the first time I didn't have about 10-15 minutes left over for B. Oh and bs'ed writing completely

Considering retaking is ridiculous. Sure BS isn't a 14-15, but an 11 isn't exactly a "low score". Your composite score of 36 is 97th percentile, and your BS is still ~85 percentile. It would actually probably be worse off for your application to retake, even if you did improve BS. If you don't get into a top 10, it will not be because of your mcat score. Be happy and know you did well.

For anyone posting scores (or did already post), can you guys also post your predicted score?

I definitely have the lowest score!

25Q!

PS 11 V4 (WTF) BS 10

I'm actually really surprised that my BS score was a 10 since I had the test that seemed to be impossible. I was expecting a low Verbal score because I was the last tester to enter the exam and everyone was typing while I started verbal. :( I was definitely planning on retake after I took my test and looks like I'll have to go at it again! Hooray retakers!

i took the test on 7/16 and totally ****ed up (i even accidentally didn't answer a page!!) i found out my score, studied for 3 weeks, and retook on the 2nd. so relieved. i know i could still do better, but at least its above 30! :love:

09/02/2011 11VR 09PS Q 11BS 31Q
07/16/2011 10VR 08PS R 10BS 28R

Always sucked at PS but at least all my scores went up a point

Members don't see this ad :)
44,000+ still viewing this page?

holy crap.

:eek:

Isn't school in session already?

The 44,000+ isn't the # of people actively viewing the thread. That is the number of views this thread received total for the lifespan of the thread.

Currently, 49 people are viewing the thread.

Thanks. I'm going to look into it. Verbal is my strongest score, and I wouldn't mind getting out of the country for a while. Do they teach in French?
McMaster's teaches in English. I think the only Canadians schools that teach in french are ottawa and the quebec schools, but they don't take internationals.

I wrote this day as well.

Expected (due to avg. AAMC's) = 8 Verbal, 10 Physical, 12 Bio, R in writing

Actual: 9 Verbal, 10 Physical, 11 Bio, S in Writing

I am going to apply to MD with this score. I lurked this thread throughout my MCAT studying. Thanks for all the help :)

My scores don't matter anymore, but here they are:

Composite: 33R, 10 PS/12 VR/11 BS. Totally disappointed with BS (I was scoring consistent 13's and 14's for my last five AAMC's), happy with PS (consistent 10's and 11's on AAMC's), and happy with VR (consistent 11's and 12's on AAMC's).

Overall, satisfied with this score, but I could have done better. The BS section definitely tested me heavily on all my weaknesses, and it didn't help that I was bedridden at home with mono about 3 hours after I finished my MCAT.

Yay!

I definitely have the lowest score!

25Q!

PS 11 V4 (WTF) BS 10

I'm actually really surprised that my BS score was a 10 since I had the test that seemed to be impossible. I was expecting a low Verbal score because I was the last tester to enter the exam and everyone was typing while I started verbal. :( I was definitely planning on retake after I took my test and looks like I'll have to go at it again! Hooray retakers!

I also got a 25Q (10-06-09-Q). With a 3.92GPA and lots of volunteer work plus research, I am still going to apply MD. Note I am not a science major. GOOD LUCK!

I initially wanted to go to the carribeans but with this score im thining DO. I have a 3.2 GPA 3.0 science. i got 11 8 10 N. what are my chances for DO ?

Wow guys, a lot of you guys did amazinggggggg!
I got a 29Q - not that bad, I suppose, but I'll be retesting for sure.

Sighhhh... time to get out the physics books again, although I'm surprisingly happy with my writing samples :)!

Fingers crossed, see you fellow retesters in 2012! ^^

I read the "retake" Thread, but I am in Grey zone. I really want some suggestions on whether I should retake.

I took MCAT twice already. For the first time, I did not prep fully. But for the second time, I studied for another 3 months.

My scores are

1st time PS8/VR8/BS11 27M
2nd time PS 14/VR6/BS10 30M

My PS jumped from 8 to 14, but my VR dropped from 8 to 6. I really don't know what happened on both PS and VR.....But one thing I do remember was for the 1st VR, it had more scientific passages and those fit my taste, but I run out of time. For the 2nd VR, it had more philosophy and art passages, which I hated......

Dear SDNers, 1) do you think I should retake? with GPA of 3.8 and applying (MD schools) next cycle?

2) If I don't retake, do medical schools look at your highest composition score and use the highest composition score to screen applicants? because obviously, with 6 in VR, I would be screened out regardless of what I got for other parts......

23Q.

9 Bio, 8 PS, 6 V.

I am so disappointed with my VR. I am happy with the science sections because this is an improvement from where I began so I can't complain there. My hard work studying did pay off there. But this is an absolute abboration in terms of my VR. On all of my practice exams this section was most consistent. Always got a 9 sometimes a 10 and 8 at the worst. I am in disbelief about that part I don't get it. Of all the sections that was the least of my worries, I really should have got a 25 at worst!

I have a Masters Degree, clinical experience, and a 3.3 Science GPA, can I still be competitive for DO? I mean I know my overall is mediocre, but my science sections are pretty solid, will that be considered?

36Q
14 PS/ 8 V/ 14 BS

First post on this forum, ever. I was lurking a bit while MCAT prepping, but now that I have my scores I should probably come out of the woodwork.

Kind of pissed about verbal, was averaging 10s/11s on the AAMC practice tests.

Will such a lopsided score hurt my chances at med schools with matriculants averaging a similar composite?

Hi guys!

So i also took it 9/2. I just got my scores today and I was soo happy. I thought I had bombed it. I got a 34P :

P:14 V:10 B:10

I am satisfied with my 34 I'm just worried about my really low bio score. Do you think this bio score is ok or do you think that i will be cut out from a lot of the med schools?

Thanks for your opinions!

Wow, I feel horrible after seeing all of you all's scores! I felt decent after leaving the test and so far I have scored lower than everyone. Oh well, I guess I will retake it in January. I guess being out of school for 7 years and being 35 years old will catch up to you after while!

Wow, I feel horrible after seeing all of you all's scores! I felt decent after leaving the test and so far I have scored lower than everyone. Oh well, I guess I will retake it in January. I guess being out of school for 7 years and being 35 years old will catch up to you after while!

35 here and took all these classes in the mid-90's. :laugh: I'm keeping my score because it's decent, and it was such a pain to re-learn it all the first time. My (local) dream school is out, but I can't take it again.

Good luck to you! I totally understand your position.

I never thought I'd make an account to this forum, having insisted throughout college on maintaining an identity as far from "pre-med" as I could; I've seen too many personalities swallowed up by the preparation and application process.

However, having read so many posts from the shadows, I feel it is only fair that I contribute. Hopefully, my experience will inspire other readers - anonymous or otherwise - who may be despairing over a less than stellar MCAT score. It is possible to improve, and it is impossible to improve significantly.

I took my first MCAT on 8/24/10.
Average: 38
Range: 31-42

During my actual exam, I panicked and could not bring myself to focus on anything. I don't think my heart has ever beat so quickly before or since. My score was exactly in-line with my own impression of my performance leaving the testing center: 24R.

I did virtually no studying between that first devastating experience and my retake on 9/2/11. This did not concern me in the least, since it was my test anxiety and not my knowledge of the material that prevented me from doing well. To this end, I put a lot of practice and thought into learning how to maintain my composure in a stressful testing situation.

My score: 33S (11 across the board).

Now, this may seem paltry compared to some of the other scores posted on this thread (Congratulations, everyone!), but I am using myself as a case study of the kind of improvement that is possible.

Just got from the dean's list ceremony and knew I wasn't going to do good....scores as expected....9 PS 4 VR 9 BS...writing P but who cares....good luck to everyone who did good and stay strong anyone who is going to retake it again. There is always a second chance....

Just got from the dean's list ceremony and knew I wasn't going to do good....scores as expected....9 PS 4 VR 9 BS...writing P but who cares....good luck to everyone who did good and stay strong anyone who is going to retake it again. There is always a second chance....

that reading killed you bro :(

that reading killed you bro :(

Yea but I ain't that mad...I admit I didn't practice enough...only 2 tests from EK 101 verbal and two practice tests from AAMC that's all. I'm ESL too and verbal is always going to be hard for me. I will retake in january again....

31P

PS: 8
VR: 11
BS: 12

Ehh....that 8 is really bothering me. I wonder if I should retake the test or not. On a more positive side, I did better on the BS than I thought.

I first off would like to say congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted. For those who didn't keep on working towards it, that is what I did. Also, I wanted to clear up the these forums typically bring out the majority of those who scored 30+ but the average is much lower. I sure would have loved to get in that range, but I'm satisfied (and not taking that awful exam ever again) with my 25Q. Since I'm most interested in DO programs, it'll be fine especially with the rest of the applications. The MCAT serves as a way to quickly categorize applications, but is by no means the only factor in acceptance to medical school. At least for myself, I can feel confident that my current 3.8 GPA, several years in EMS, volunteer work, shadowing, lab research, etc. will be a huge help. All that said, there are people with 36+ that get denied from schools for a variety of reasons, such as poor interviews, lack of EC's, or personality issues. Conversely, there are cases of very qualified applicants that had a bit lower score that were admitted. Ultimately medical schools want student who will best represent the institution and be good doctors.

31O

P: 11
V: 7
B: 13

I'm pretty bumbed out about verbal since I've been consistently getting 9/10's on the practice exams. I think the 7 in verbal will prevent me from getting into most medical schools...I better retake it, huh? :(

Samantha, I would apply and consider retaking it. Since the next available time is not until next year, why not give it a shot? Most medical schools like to have 7+ on each section and with a 31, you are doing well. an O is also a bit above the average written score, so even though it doesn't hold as much weight as the three sections, it does show you can compose a essay.

13/10/11 and with my 12 in bio before, that might possibly be a 35!!
everything is possible with hope, and with examkrackers!!
I had a 30 before, now with a 34/35, I cannot wish for anything better.
Keep it up you guys, really, anything is possible.

Samantha, I would apply and consider retaking it. Since the next available time is not until next year, why not give it a shot? Most medical schools like to have 7+ on each section and with a 31, you are doing well. an O is also a bit above the average written score, so even though it doesn't hold as much weight as the three sections, it does show you can compose a essay.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouraging words. I guess I was afraid that I won't show much improvement taking the test again, but I'll try my best and study my butt off for the Jan exam! :)

damn all these scores are making my 29 look like a 19 lol

on another note, does anyone have any good recommendations on how to obtain good EC's? i have a couple for a while now, but cant seem to find anything else.

Samantha, I can't speak for everyone, but for myself the first time I took the test I was studying 8+ hours per day for the entire month before. The second time around, I did much less, instead looking at old practice exams and carefully looking at the wording and seeing where I made my mistakes. Some people suggest going with your gut instinct, but I disagree. Those who write the MCAT know that, and would be too easy. If you just pay attention to the main points you'll do great. Anyways, med schools love to see dedication and persistence; after all who would want a doctor that gives up?

chipper10- its hard to do EC's this late in the process but I have a ton of experience in this. If you are still working on your degree, I would say seek out any clubs/organizations in the sciences, find a professor to do research with, attend science/medical conferences, shadow a physician (if applying for DO school, it is strongly recommended that you find a DO). Also volunteer around your town/city for homeless shelters, food banks, clinics...EC's do not have to be medically oriented. A well rounded applicant is better than one that has a narrow focus.

chipper10- its hard to do EC's this late in the process but I have a ton of experience in this. If you are still working on your degree, I would say seek out any clubs/organizations in the sciences, find a professor to do research with, attend science/medical conferences, shadow a physician (if applying for DO school, it is strongly recommended that you find a DO). Also volunteer around your town/city for homeless shelters, food banks, clinics...EC's do not have to be medically oriented. A well rounded applicant is better than one that has a narrow focus.

thanks, yea i plan on applying in the next cycle, but wouldnt mind getting more EC's in to help make my mcat score look a little better. but im only applying to DO schools and two MD's

It's midnight on the west coast, i am more than slightly inebriated, and I am writing this...

AAMC average (3-11): 33.5
AAMC range: 31-37

Actual score: 37P!!!!

I read many times before that your feelings coming out of the exam have no indication of how you actually did, and I never believed this. Having seen my score I can not agree with this statement any more. I was honestly hoping I broke a 30. In my bio section I guessed on almost all the questions in 1 passage. In PS i spent the first 4 minutes on the first question because I couldn't make a simple unit conversion and thought that doomed me for the rest of the section. I ended up with a 14 in PS.

Honestly, if you work your ass off for this exam and eat, sleep, and dream MCAT like I did you will be surprised at how well you can preform. I may have been lucky because I was above my AAMC average, but i seriously believe i deserve this score based on how much work I put into this test.

Before studying for this test, I read testimonials about really high MCAT scores and seriously thought I lacked the intelligence to match those scores. I'm here to say that if you take the right mindset going into this set and put in a good amount of work, you really can exceed your expectations.

Definitely use this forum for advice. SN2ed's schedule is pure gold. Berkeley Review's passages and text were a HUGE help during my studying. Above all else, focus on improving your TEST TAKING SKILLS. The best way to acquire these skills is by doing as many passages/practice tests as possible.

Seriously, push yourself and do as much work as you can for this test, and you will do well. I really am not that smart. I just wanted this score more than the guy sitting next to me.

Good luck to everyone taking advice on this thread. And remember: do not worry about how you are scoring at the moment, just focus on getting better throughout your studying.

13/10/11, 34Q !!!

I don't care what anyone says, I checked my scores in my favorite bar and with a shot of ketel one in my hand, and shrieked in happiness upon seeing them:)
I had an 8 in PS TWO TIMES, and finally got what I worked so hard for.
Please never give your hopes up. Good things come to those who wait and work hard and relentlessly study Examkrackers

I retook some of these after my 2nd MCAT in janurary
AAMC 10- 34
AAMC 9 -33
AAMC 5- 33
AAMC 8- 30
AAMC 3- 31
AAMC 6- 30

It's midnight on the west coast, i am more than slightly inebriated, and I am writing this...

AAMC average (3-11): 33.5
AAMC range: 31-37

Actual score: 37P!!!!

I read many times before that your feelings coming out of the exam have no indication of how you actually did, and I never believed this. Having seen my score I can not agree with this statement any more. I was honestly hoping I broke a 30. In my bio section I guessed on almost all the questions in 1 passage. In PS i spent the first 4 minutes on the first question because I couldn't make a simple unit conversion and thought that doomed me for the rest of the section. I ended up with a 14 in PS.

Honestly, if you work your ass off for this exam and eat, sleep, and dream MCAT like I did you will be surprised at how well you can preform. I may have been lucky because I was above my AAMC average, but i seriously believe i deserve this score based on how much work I put into this test.

Before studying for this test, I read testimonials about really high MCAT scores and seriously thought I lacked the intelligence to match those scores. I'm here to say that if you take the right mindset going into this set and put in a good amount of work, you really can exceed your expectations.

Definitely use this forum for advice. SN2ed's schedule is pure gold. Berkeley Review's passages and text were a HUGE help during my studying. Above all else, focus on improving your TEST TAKING SKILLS. The best way to acquire these skills is by doing as many passages/practice tests as possible.

Seriously, push yourself and do as much work as you can for this test, and you will do well. I really am not that smart. I just wanted this score more than the guy sitting next to me.

Good luck to everyone taking advice on this thread. And remember: do not worry about how you are scoring at the moment, just focus on getting better throughout your studying.

I like that you score very high and your first thought is to advise and help others! congratulations, that's the sign of a good future doctor.

for me, i'm in the january 28 retake batch. anyone know when you can register, my AAMC site isn't letting me in. last year was 10/6 for 1/28, so i hope it's same.

CONGRATS Mighty B! And all others. Chin up to peeps in my boat, I was meant to do this, so, I'm going to fix it.

D712

13/10/11, 34Q !!!

I don't care what anyone says, I checked my scores in my favorite bar and with a shot of ketel one in my hand, and shrieked in happiness upon seeing them:)
I had an 8 in PS TWO TIMES, and finally got what I worked so hard for.
Please never give your hopes up. Good things come to those who wait and work hard and relentlessly study Examkrackers

I retook some of these after my 2nd MCAT in janurary
AAMC 10- 34
AAMC 9 -33
AAMC 5- 33
AAMC 8- 30
AAMC 3- 31
AAMC 6- 30

Awesome, Congrats!
Retester here. Last year I only managed 27R. This year 34S!!!!! Sooo happy with the 7 point increase even though its unbalanced as s***. Breakdown: PS14, VR10, BS 10. I was averaging 30 on my AAMCs too.