The Official 9/02/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhappytnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early?

Members don't see this ad.

8am test taker. 7/6/8. Very dissapointed with my scores because this is the third time I have taken the test. I took it the first time last August and used Kaplan online to study. After that, I used Exam Krackers to review matieral again and took the test again in May 2011. The third time, I practiced only AAMC and Kaplan FLs, and reviewed only the material that I missed.

I'm a straight A student, with a great GPA, a ton of volunteer experience and 5 years of experience working with patients in a hospital. I just TRULY SUCK at standardized tests!!!! One would expect for a 3 time test taker to quit, but I will do no such thing. I really want to go to med school b/c I cannot see myself doing anything else. But, I need to better my test taking skills!! I wasn't a real nig fan of Kaplan, though I still have access to all their online material (and books) and I also have Exam Krackers books. CAN SOMEBODY RECOMMEND ANOTHER MCAT PREP COURSE PLEASE?? What are your guys' thoughts on The Princeton Review and Berkeley Review?

Members don't see this ad :)
8am test taker. 7/6/8. Very dissapointed with my scores because this is the third time I have taken the test. I took it the first time last August and used Kaplan online to study. After that, I used Exam Krackers to review matieral again and took the test again in May 2011. The third time, I practiced only AAMC and Kaplan FLs, and reviewed only the material that I missed.

I'm a straight A student, with a great GPA, a ton of volunteer experience and 5 years of experience working with patients in a hospital. I just TRULY SUCK at standardized tests!!!! One would expect for a 3 time test taker to quit, but I will do no such thing. I really want to go to med school b/c I cannot see myself doing anything else. But, I need to better my test taking skills!! I wasn't a real nig fan of Kaplan, though I still have access to all their online material (and books) and I also have Exam Krackers books. CAN SOMEBODY RECOMMEND ANOTHER MCAT PREP COURSE PLEASE?? What are your guys' thoughts on The Princeton Review and Berkeley Review?
If you suck at standardized tests, how did you get a great GPA? And medical school will be one standardized test after another. And I heard The Berkeley Review are the best books for the MCAT, so I would suggest you getting them (I'm trying to buy them as well).

Well, your GPA is based on overall academic performance, not on a standardized test. I never took a standardized test during my undergrad... maybe this is unique to my school?

If you suck at standardized tests, how did you get a great GPA? And medical school will be one standardized test after another. And I heard The Berkeley Review are the best books for the MCAT, so I would suggest you getting them (I'm trying to buy them as well).

Well, your GPA is based on overall academic performance, not on a standardized test. I never took a standardized test during my undergrad... maybe this is unique to my school?

Wait...no standardized tests during undergrad? What major are you? Regardless, your fear of tests is something you're going to have to overcome since medical school will be test after test after test. Not to mention Step 1...

Anyway, I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but from what I gathered after reading multiple threads here is that The Berkeley Review books are the best for the MCAT. You might also want to check out "30+ MCAT Study Habits". Good luck.

12PS/12VR/10BS

Overall very happy with my score although it is below my later practice aamc scores. But I do have to say WTF BS?? I am a bio major and was scoring 13-14 on aamc exams (14 on AAMC 8 and 11) so I really have no idea what happened there. VR came out at the higher end of my practice scores, so I guess I would prefer to have the high VR score than high BS score. Would a 10 in BS be an issue at competitive schools though? I have a 4.0 gpa.

I got a 31Q. VR10/PS11/BS10.
I know this isn't terrible, it just seems so average :(
My average practice score was a 32.5 and my highest score was a 35. I know I shouldn't be feeling bad about this because a 31 isn't "bad," but I didn't want a "not bad" score, I wanted a great score.
Is it ridiculous that I am beating myself up over this?

I got a 31Q. VR10/PS11/BS10.
My average practice score was a 32.5 and my highest score was a 35. I know I shouldn't be feeling bad about this because a 31 isn't "bad," but I didn't want a "not bad" score, I wanted a great score.

Almost exact same boat as you. 32Q, 10/12/10. Avg of 32, high of 36.
I don't know if it's ridiculous or not, but I feel the exact same way.
I know that I put in a lot of work for this. Scoring good and not great, I feel like a failure, because in the past, I've always managed to do great through hard work. And it's bruised my ego because this may be a sign of something that's out of my control - something hard work can't overcome. That just might be me and my narcissistic self.

But I've kind of moved past that. I'm retaking it next year, and so I have to work even harder now.

I know I shouldn't be feeling bad about this because a 31 isn't "bad," but I didn't want a "not bad" score, I wanted a great score.

I don't know if it's ridiculous or not, but I feel the exact same way.
I know that I put in a lot of work for this. Scoring good and not great, I feel like a failure, because in the past, I've always managed to do great through hard work. And it's bruised my ego because this may be a sign of something that's out of my control - something hard work can't overcome. That just might be me and my narcissistic self.

Same here (32). I have also never actually tried at something and come out middle-of-the-road. I've been there plenty of times, but only when I didn't care and so didn't put in any effort. Definitely a (very selfish) shock. I am concerned that I am going to be just average in med school despite hard work.

In order to get over my ungratefulness for what is indeed a good score, I am telling myself:

1. While most of the SDN posters have posted higher, they are not representative of the general population. My score was 85%, which I shouldn't be complaining about. Not to mention, it's the first time I've taken it.

2. It's probably not truly "average" (which is how I've been thinking of it). The MSAR says 32 is the average for all accepted. Considering people with scores near 40 are probably getting multiple acceptances while those in the upper 20's might only get one, that "average" is most likely weighted towards the high side. You will probably find that we are in the upper half of many schools' matriculants.

3. Even being in the middle of an accepted medical student distribution (and at the top of those trying) is nothing to scoff at. This isn't the SAT which almost everyone takes. The pool of people taking the MCAT is already on the higher scoring end of the population.

I must keep repeating this as I am tempted to try again in January. I am not planing on heading to Harvard, so I should be happy with my shot at mid-tier schools.

It's been 15 years since I took my pre-reqs, so I had to re-learn a lot of info. Plus, I've got 3 young kids at home as well as a part-time job, a couple of classes, and various volunteer activities. I just don't think it's worth the effort for me to (again) take away from all of those other areas for the many necessary hours of studying to get a higher grade just for my ego's sake. I am a solid applicant at many schools, and that will have to do.

I'm sure that at some point I'll have to learn that I can't be the best at everything; I guess this is a good place to start. (Although, frankly, if I was single and childless, I'd be all over spending all my spare time studying to get a higher score!)

I'm sure that at some point I'll have to learn that I can't be the best at everything; I guess this is a good place to start. (Although, frankly, if I was single and childless, I'd be all over spending all my spare time studying to get a higher score!)

you have kids and are trying top "cope" with a 32? You'd think having kids would give you a fresher and less narrow perspective.

you have kids and are trying top "cope" with a 32? You'd think having kids would give you a fresher and less narrow perspective.

I agree - you would think. However, I've always been competitive (with myself, anyway), and old habits die hard. I'm still very hard on myself when I think I could have done something better. Logically, I know there are more important things...hence the internal dialogue as to why I should be okay with doing fine. It's a learning process.

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, the kid thing is part of the reason I would love a higher score. They will all be in elementary school when I matriculate, and I would love not to move/change schools/friends/support systems we've had since they were born. Well, at least not until residency. I was hoping to have my pick so I could go to one of the local med schools. It's still a possibility, but probably not as good as a 35+ MCAT would have gotten me.

I agree - you would think. However, I've always been competitive (with myself, anyway), and old habits die hard. I'm still very hard on myself when I think I could have done something better. Logically, I know there are more important things...hence the internal dialogue as to why I should be okay with doing fine. It's a learning process.

fair answer! And a 32 on the first shot...is very good! :)

well i finally got the time after all my mid-terms to look at my score, still disappointed in myself, but here they are

1x-6-1x

sigh, i did well on sciences but this time I used EK Verbal + TPRH Verbal, did well on both of their tests averaging 9+s on each section, but still ended up low.

The issue I feel I'm coming from is the whole reading for detail on a computer screen. I'm having a hard time with it, so i'm still applying and hopefully get into the 5-6 schools I apply to, but overall I feel as if I just need to practice more on a computer-based verbal tests. paper is easier for me because i mark it up so much and link key points, but on a computer I'm not able to do that so I'm struggling there.

Goodluck to everyone

I've written this thing 3 times now. First time, my highest score was in PS. Second time, my highest score was in VR. Third time, my highest score was in BS and on the WS. In other words, the predictive validity of this test is on some ol' bull****.

I've written this thing 3 times now. First time, my highest score was in PS. Second time, my highest score was in VR. Third time, my highest score was in BS and on the WS. In other words, the predictive validity of this test is on some ol' bull****.

i am in kinda a similar situation. took it three times. composite score is always around the same range. if i go up in bio, then i go down in physical. if i go up in phys then i go down in bio. verbal stays the exact same for me. i hate the stupid mcat

Can someone please clarify something for me I'd really appreciate it.

I have an AMCAS application open, but I haven't submitted it yet. SOme of the schools I want to apply to have October 15th deadline.

Is the October 15 deadline when I have to submit my AMCAS application or a verified AMCAS application...???

I have an AMCAS application open, but I haven't submitted it yet. SOme of the schools I want to apply to have October 15th deadline.

Is the October 15 deadline when I have to submit my AMCAS application or a verified AMCAS application...???

It is the former. That deadline is for amcas submission and adding the school.

I submitted mine this week. I called many schools and was told it's the submission deadline, NOT verification deadline. Strangely, Case Western has a Nov. 1st deadline and upon calling, and they told me not to apply and Northwestern sounded a bit negative. So I didn't bother with those schools. I never wanted to go to Ohio and Illinois anyways :)

thank you for the reply guys

I have gone through so much this year, diagnosed with breast cancer, 2 surgeries, many tests and hospital visits and on top of that preparing for MCATs and rescheduling it for the Sept 2nd date

I am going to apply even though it is late in the cycle...because I know I will regret it if I don't..at least I know I tried :(