The Official April 11, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This happens to fall on my birthday...don't know if that's a good thing or bad. Starting sn2d's 3 month program on Monday! I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, this is my first post on SDN. I've finished content review, its my second time taking the exam and I did fairly well on BS last time around but didn't do as well on PS so I've gone much more heavily into that. I've taken a few FLs so far but I figured I'd do the self assessment while I still had time to cover topics rather than last minute, how did anyone go about taking them? Each section in its entirety, or portions of multiple over several days?

For the BS/PS i suggest just trucking right through them. for the verbal you can easily break them into 3 practice verbal tests and time yourself to do the first 40 questions then review it (this would require doing the first 40 questions and then having a friend/family member guess on the last 80 questions and then submitting and only reviewing the first 40)

For the BS/PS i suggest just trucking right through them. for the verbal you can easily break them into 3 practice verbal tests and time yourself to do the first 40 questions then review it (this would require doing the first 40 questions and then having a friend/family member guess on the last 80 questions and then submitting and only reviewing the first 40)

Since you can only take them once, you won't be able to go back and finish the last 80 ?s of verbal yourself right? Just do them after even though they are already graded?

Since you can only take them once, you won't be able to go back and finish the last 80 ?s of verbal yourself right? Just do them after even though they are already graded?

From my experience (I have a Kaplan course) I am able to take the self assessment as many times as I want. So i would guess on the last 80, and not look at them and then start a new section test fill in 1-40 with my original answers then do 41-80 (review 41-80) open a new self assessment fill in 1-80 with my original answers do 81-120 and review (at the end of the 3 I am able to see my average compared to everyone else since it will be my complete test after the 3rd go around)

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience (I have a Kaplan course) I am able to take the self assessment as many times as I want. So i would guess on the last 80, and not look at them and then start a new section test fill in 1-40 with my original answers then do 41-80 (review 41-80) open a new self assessment fill in 1-80 with my original answers do 81-120 and review (at the end of the 3 I am able to see my average compared to everyone else since it will be my complete test after the 3rd go around)

Thanks for the reply :) I bought them directly from AAMC and they say we can only take them once. Must be a Kaplan perk! I'll see what I can do, but if I can really only take them one I guess I'll just split it up into 3 sections and do one at a time, take a break, and come back later since it's not timed. No way I'm sitting there for how ever many hours just doing verbal passages!! I'll do the other self assessments all at once though.

Hey guys, this is my first post on SDN. I've finished content review, its my second time taking the exam and I did fairly well on BS last time around but didn't do as well on PS so I've gone much more heavily into that. I've taken a few FLs so far but I figured I'd do the self assessment while I still had time to cover topics rather than last minute, how did anyone go about taking them? Each section in its entirety, or portions of multiple over several days?

I want start those this weekend, so I would also like to know the best way to approach them too! Any advice from those who took them already?

First of all, the AAMC Self Assessments are administered differently from the Kaplan ones. DO NOT skip the last 80 ?'s because it is true, you cannot take the test twice.

I recommend taking the verbal SA over the course of 3 days. You can pause the SA at any point and come back at a later date. There are 21 passages, however the breakdown isn't like a normal test where 7 passages = 40 questions:

The first 8 passages have 42 questions. The next 7 passages have 39 questions. The last 6 passages have 39 questions. This is the breakdown I used for my self assessment, but it of course has its drawbacks as the passages vary in difficulty. You'll see what I mean when you take them. I just don't recommend doing them all in one day because it will diminish the efficacy of performance evaluation. Also, remember that you proportionally have 1:30 for each question. This should include passage time though, so again, this is somewhat of a drawback of the Verbal SA given the question-to-passage ratio breakdown if doing the passages in a consecutive manner.

As to the other self assessments, I have done the OChem, GChem, and Bio ones so far and I did one per day. It is also not representative of test-day conditions (since you will not have that many questions on one specific section) but I still feel it is more useful because then you don't have a period of time where you study that topic in between and skew your results. Also, doing 120 (in reality 128) questions in biology for example, is much more manageable than 120 questions in verbal reasoning.

Good luck you guys!

Hey guys!
Hows everyones studying going?
Im about to embark on AAMC 3.... totally delayed the FLs.
oh well, hopefully ill see improvement.

Hey guys!

Pretty well, I just need to come to the realization that Im not going to remember everything. I put such an emphasis on content review and I think I've come to a point where critical thinking skills need to be honed with practice tests/quizzes.

AAMC FL scores: 30-35
Kaplan FL 1: 31 (10, 9, 12)
Kaplan FL 2: 34 (14, 9, 11)
Kaplan FL 3: 35 (13, 10, 12)
Kaplan FL 4: 30 (10, 9, 11)
Kaplan FL 5: 29 (10, 8:mad:, 11)
Kaplan FL 6: 32 (11, 9, 12)
Kaplan FL 8: 26 (9, 6, 9) AND thats when i stopped doing Kaplan FL's. 8-11 are confidence destroyers

Thermodynamics and Torque will be the death of me hopefully I don't see them on my MCAT.

As for you taking AAMC 3, GL they will def seem easy but the curves are really tough, from my experience Kaplan tests (minus verbal, I think AAMC verbal is more reasonable) are a good indication of the exam format

Hey guys!

I was going to do my last self assessment today, but I'm tired as sh**. I've been progressively adjusting my sleep schedule to get used to waking early for this test. I'm going to do my Physics SA tomorrow and then AAMC 3 the following day. Have you done all of the SA's so far?

Good luck on AAMC 3 today!

Hope everyone's studying is going well!

One question type in particular seems to be getting me every time in the verbal section the "if this statement is true then.....", does anyone have any advice on how to tackle these types of questions, also any advice on how to attack very dense political passages, usually the ones on litigation and government would be much appreciated!

I need advice :( . I'm finishing up my kaplan corse this week. I took my 2nd practice test and got a 22 7/7/8. How can I get up to a 30 by test day. I have access to kaplan test material, EK books, TBH books, and AAMC test.

Ok so finished AAMC 3

11/10/11 (32)

as I was going through they felt sort of easy... but then the score turned out lower than I was really hoping for (I already got 30 on the real thing in September)
Idk im sort of neutral about it. Im gonna do a really thorough post game which I never did the first time around.
My verbal score though ... I literally do a happy dance every time I maintain a 10.
Shooting for at LEAST a 34 on the real thing.

@inasensegone I haven't done the SA s. So much $$. Do you think they are worth it? I would have to buy less FLs to afford those.

@Love_Cats_without_the_M Your scores look good! My next plan of action is to buy some Kaplan tests. I saw a book of them for 50$ at barnes and noble.

Ok so finished AAMC 3

11/10/11 (32)

as I was going through they felt sort of easy... but then the score turned out lower than I was really hoping for (I already got 30 on the real thing in September)
Idk im sort of neutral about it. Im gonna do a really thorough post game which I never did the first time around.
My verbal score though ... I literally do a happy dance every time I maintain a 10.
Shooting for at LEAST a 34 on the real thing.

@inasensegone I haven't done the SA s. So much $$. Do you think they are worth it? I would have to buy less FLs to afford those.

@Love_Cats_without_the_M Your scores look good! My next plan of action is to buy some Kaplan tests. I saw a book of them for 50$ at barnes and noble.

Haha, I feel you on that happy dance. I'd be stoked for a 10 on the real deal. I'm fairly solid on the sciences (maybe not 15 territory yet, but close) but I can't master verbal. It sucks because it's so arbitrary. But anyway...

The SA's basically combine 3 previously administered tests and organizes the content into individual topic self assessments. I feel like they've been pretty useful to me, but you may not feel the same way. I also haven't taken a full length test yet, so that may be a factor. You mentioned before that you have already taken all the AAMC FL's, so the SA's might be a good way to get all new material. I would consider buying on credit if you really need the extra practice. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jcb. Don't skimp on tests. Buy the said, official mcat guide and basically all aamc material. Of you need more Fls, do gs or tbr. I wouldn't do the Kaplan book even if it was free.

Haha, I feel you on that happy dance. I'd be stoked for a 10 on the real deal. I'm fairly solid on the sciences (maybe not 15 territory yet, but close) but I can't master verbal. It sucks because it's so arbitrary. But anyway...

The SA's basically combine 3 previously administered tests and organizes the content into individual topic self assessments. I feel like they've been pretty useful to me, but you may not feel the same way. I also haven't taken a full length test yet, so that may be a factor. You mentioned before that you have already taken all the AAMC FL's, so the SA's might be a good way to get all new material. I would consider buying on credit if you really need the extra practice. Good luck!

Definitely considering the SAs. Especially because I feel my errors are from holes in content knowledge.

Jcb. Don't skimp on tests. Buy the said, official mcat guide and basically all aamc material. Of you need more Fls, do gs or tbr. I wouldn't do the Kaplan book even if it was free.

Yeah your probably right. Invest now, get the benefits of a good score later!

Anyone looking to do some verbal practice via EK 101 but do not want to pay for it, type "EK 101 Verbal PDF" in google and it should be the first link that pops up.

GL studying!

Just took a Kaplan FL you guys.... so rough....

29 (11, 9, 9) :wtf:

Although I found a ton of questions to be very un AAMC (especially in bio), Im entering panic mode.

Hope everyone elses studying is going a lot better

Although I found a ton of questions to be very un AAMC (especially in bio), Im entering panic mode.

I'm also in panic mode...debating postponing until May ughhh

What books did you use for study material?

From my experience (I used Kaplan/TPR) and scored well on the Kaplan practice tests, but when I started using the TBR CBT's my scores dropped because I was not used to how they worded questions and their way of presenting the passages was foreign to me. I believe that whatever score you get on your AAMC on average is the score you are most likely going to get on the real deal. This was exactly the case on my first MCAT.

Unfortunately I'm a re-taker so I cant trust my AAMC practice tests (afraid they will give em a false sense of security), So im just taking other tests and not worrying about the score, its more important to fix mistakes and learn from them then it is to worry about a Kaplan FL score.

From my experience (I used Kaplan/TPR) and scored well on the Kaplan practice tests, but when I started using the TBR CBT's my scores dropped because I was not used to how they worded questions and their way of presenting the passages was foreign to me. I believe that whatever score you get on your AAMC on average is the score you are most likely going to get on the real deal. This was exactly the case on my first MCAT.

Unfortunately I'm a re-taker so I cant trust my AAMC practice tests (afraid they will give em a false sense of security), So im just taking other tests and not worrying about the score, its more important to fix mistakes and learn from them then it is to worry about a Kaplan FL score.

What exams are you taking? I am also a retaker and exhausted all of the AAMCs. I'm not sure what else to purchase!

What exams are you taking? I am also a retaker and exhausted all of the AAMCs. I'm not sure what else to purchase!

I am taking TBR CBT's 1-5, and just doing section tests by Kaplan there are seven for each section for PS/BS, so I'm going to take the PS section test, 10 minute break, followed by EK/TPR verbal passage test (I don't like kaplan for verbal) and then end with Biology section test. I've taken the first 3 and score anywhere from 70-80% on the section tests which is good enough for me, because I heard they are generally tougher than the the Kaplan FL.

Also I bought The Official Guide to the MCAT exam which contains basically a Physical sciences section (4 gen chem passages/3 PS) and some discrete questions, a Biological science section, and a Verbal reasoning, so I was going to do that close to my MCAT date.

I use mainly TBR and TPR.... the Kaplan wording really got me

Im a Re-taker too.... but I don't believe my AAMC scores are too inflated because I tend to remember nothing after taking a test and did minimal post game.

Had I paid more attention to the AAMC test I probably would have scored better the first time around

Just wondering, for those of you taking Full Lengths, are you taking them at 8 a.m.? I'm going to wake up early and attempt to take Kaplan Full Length 3 around 8 a.m. tomorrow (tend to be a night owl so will be a bit of an adjustment). Hoping to finally break 30 on a test (fingers crossed).

Based on review of Full Length 2, I could have done quite a bit better on the PS section (not so sure about the other two sections). I was always good, but very slow, at physics and chem calculations. Always focused on getting the right answer, but until the MCAT was never really rushed to solve problems.

Just wondering, for those of you taking Full Lengths, are you taking them at 8 a.m.? I'm going to wake up early and attempt to take Kaplan Full Length 3 around 8 a.m. tomorrow (tend to be a night owl so will be a bit of an adjustment). Hoping to finally break 30 on a test (fingers crossed).

Based on review of Full Length 2, I could have done quite a bit better on the PS section (not so sure about the other two sections). I was always good, but very slow, at physics and chem calculations. Always focused on getting the right answer, but until the MCAT was never really rushed to solve problems.

Yeah, I started taking them at 8am last week. Hit my high score on AAMC 4, mid 30's. Gonna review it to see if it's a content gap issue sure how to interpret that... anyone else have similar experience?

Last edited:
I just took Kaplan 3 and a had a reversal to below my baseline score as well. Seemed to run out of time on all sections on this one, which is unusual for me. I usually only run out of time on PS. Oh well, time to review and keep on trekking forward.

I'd be more concerned if the trend continues (fingers crossed - this was a one off).

Yeah, I started taking them at 8am last week. Hit my high score on AAMC 4, mid 30's, then took Kaplan FL 3 and got my low score :(( Flippin out because I trended up for 3 tests straight, and then totally reversed on this one to below Kaplan FL 1. Gonna review it to see if it's a content gap issue or whether I just suck

Not sure how to interpret that... anyone else have similar experience?

Last edited:
I just took Kaplan 3 and a had a reversal to below my baseline score as well. Seemed to run out of time on all sections on this one, which is unusual for me. I usually only run out of time on PS. Oh well, time to review and keep on trekking forward.

I'd be more concerned if the trend continues (fingers crossed - this was a one off).

Thats wild - we did the same test on the same day at the same time and had the same experience.

Just curious which other FLs you've taken and what you've gotten? I took Kaplan 1, 2 and AAMC 7, 4 (i don't count 5, it was a diagnostic). Trended from 30 all the way to 35 and tanked to 29 on Kaplan 3.

Last edited:
My scores are way lower than yours (embarrassingly so). I started at a baseline of 23 and worked up to a 28, only to fall to a 22. I am doing my post game now. My Kaplan verbal score is very unpredictable (scored 7 twice and 10 twice). My other scores are around 8/9 generally, but bio fell to a 7 this go around.

I think I had two huge issues that contributed to my poor performance. I focused too much on trying to do questions fast (following Kaplan's 1 min per discrete and 16 minute per passage pair) rather than getting them right. I just have to concede that I won't get to all PS passages, but make sure all questions I do answer are correct. Focusing on timing resulted in a lot of mistakes I shouldn't have made. Also, it is first test I took at 8 a.m. (well, 8:30). It'll take some adjustment.

I have a lot of very old coursework (I took g-bio in 2002 for example) so if I can work my way to a 30 in the end, I'll be ecstatic. Clearly, you should be aiming for a 35+.

PS - Don't focus too much on Kaplan scores. It's the AAMCs that count. I only took Kaplan 1, 2 and 3 thus far. I plan to take 4 and 5 later this week and then do a few sections tests in my weak areas and then switch to the AAMC tests.

Thats wild - we did the same test on the same day at the same time and had the same experience. Really f***s up your whole day doesn't it...

Just curious which other FLs you've taken and what you've gotten? I took Kaplan 1, 2 and AAMC 7, 4 (i don't count 5, it was a diagnostic). Trended from 30 all the way to 35 and tanked to 29 on Kaplan 3.

Last edited:
Thats wild - we did the same test on the same day at the same time and had the same experience. Really f***s up your whole day doesn't it...

I didn't do so hot on Kaplan 3 as well. Let's see what Kaplan 4 has in store.

I have seen ranking of full length tests, but the info seems to be pretty old (Gold standard has updated their practice tests for example lately). Could anyone tell me out of Kaplan, TBR and Gold standard which practice tests would be the best to take (I'm leaving out AAMC for obvious reasons).

Thanks

I have seen ranking of full length tests, but the info seems to be pretty old (Gold standard has updated their practice tests for example lately). Could anyone tell me out of Kaplan, TBR and Gold standard which practice tests would be the best to take (I'm leaving out AAMC for obvious reasons).

Thanks

Judging from the company size and the number of students they teach every year I would say Kaplan=TBR (though they focus on different areas) >>>>> Gold Standard

Thanks

I don't know anything about gold standard, so I think that might be a red flag. TBR is more difficult than an MCAT, and way too content specific, but it could help solidify weak content areas. So I would say Kaplan>TBR>Gold Standard.

Ahhhhhh, my scores are all over the place... Can't seem to gauge what's going on.
AAMC 3 - 20 (4PS/8VR/8BS) --> Dont know how I bombed PS
AAMC4 - 33 (10/13/10)
TPR exam - 20 (7/6/7)

Ahhhhhh, my scores are all over the place... Can't seem to gauge what's going on.
AAMC 3 - 20 (4PS/8VR/8BS) --> Dont know how I bombed PS
AAMC4 - 33 (10/13/10)
TPR exam - 20 (7/6/7)

Judge by your AAMC scores. But that 4 in physics is obviously a fluke because you can get a 10.

I really want to know what peoples opinion is on the Self Assesments. Does the SA package help to eliminate weak spots more than FLs?
Or have you guys felt that you improved from doing the SA problems?

Judge by your AAMC scores. But that 4 in physics is obviously a fluke because you can get a 10.

I really want to know what peoples opinion is on the Self Assesments. Does the SA package help to eliminate weak spots more than FLs?
Or have you guys felt that you improved from doing the SA problems?

The Self-Assessments were helpful in that they show you weak spots you may not think you have. Due to the large volume of problems, you're able to see subtle weaknesses that are harder to see on FLs just because there may not be that many problems. I think that the sheer number of questions on SAs makes them a valuable resource, especially if you post-phrase. I did each section on a different day, except for verbal which I broke up into four sections and did before each subject. Also, since they are AAMC, they're pretty similar to the real thing. Hope this helps!

The Self-Assessments were helpful in that they show you weak spots you may not think you have. Due to the large volume of problems, you're able to see subtle weaknesses that are harder to see on FLs just because there may not be that many problems. I think that the sheer number of questions on SAs makes them a valuable resource, especially if you post-phrase. I did each section on a different day, except for verbal which I broke up into four sections and did before each subject. Also, since they are AAMC, they're pretty similar to the real thing. Hope this helps!
that's helps..... I think I will make time my deciding factor....If I can fit it into the remaining weeks ill do it.
Thanks!

Hey guysss

How's studying?
Just finished AAMC 7 . 33 one point away from my target score (however only one point above my first FL also)

Any one seeing major improvements in their FLs?

That's a great score ! I took it too and got a 31 been getting around the same scores on all aamcs slightly lower on 5 got some reason

Hey guysss

How's studying?
Just finished AAMC 7 . 33 one point away from my target score (however only one point above my first FL also)

Any one seeing major improvements in their FLs?

That's solid.

How did it compare with AAMC #4? or any later ones if you've done them?

So far I have

PS, VR, BS
AAMC 3: 11, 10, 11 (32)
AAMC 5: 11, 10, 11 (32)
AAMC 7: 10, 10, 13 (33)

Im psyched about bio although in between these FLs I spend 85% of my time on PS... my scores don't really reflect that.

Have you takenFLs?

I took AAMC 4 yesterday: 10, 9, 11

Totally guessed on an entire o-chem passage...going to do some serious post-gaming tonight. Verbal was pretty rough too, especially the first passage. Going to do AAMC 7 next Wedneday. Still need to do a lot of content practice from now until then!

Yeah I took a few Kaplan and AAMC. I am really worried about my inconsistency - I think I have serious content gaps but I am having trouble improving them. Kaplan FL 3 is totally psyching me out.

FL1 31 (10, 11, 10)
AAMC 7 30 (10, 11, 9)
FL2 32 (11, 10, 11)
AAMC 4 35 (10, 11, 14)
FL 3 29 (9, 10, 10)

Have you guys done Kaplan section tests? How are you doing on those vs. your AAMC avg?

Yeah I took a few Kaplan and AAMC. I am really worried about my inconsistency - I think I have serious content gaps but I am having trouble improving them. Kaplan FL 3 is totally psyching me out.

FL1 31 (10, 11, 10)
AAMC 7 30 (10, 11, 9)
FL2 32 (11, 10, 11)
AAMC 4 35 (10, 11, 14)
FL 3 29 (9, 10, 10)

Have you guys done Kaplan section tests? How are you doing on those vs. your AAMC avg?

Yeah I would like to know too. Kaplan bio is hard and very verbal-like which hopefully is good practice?

14 on bio niiice

Im not going to do another Kaplan. I hate the way they are worded. that said they can probably help people that like them.

14 on bio niiice

Im not going to do another Kaplan. I hate the way they are worded. that said they can probably help people that like them.

But you haven't done any Kaplan section tests? I've been bombing their PS sections so far : / 50% - 60%'s

Section test vs FL's anyone?

But you haven't done any Kaplan section tests? I've been bombing their PS sections so far : / 50% - 60%'s

nahh... im not really a fan of Kaplan I just did one of the free tests. (although I like their bio book that's about it)

I do TBR for PS and I ignore scores for specific sections...

When I do section tests I see my wrong answers as an opportunity to learn something. then treat my FLs as pretending its the real deal.

14 on bio niiice

Yeah they are like verbal especially bio. I have only done one AAMC and don't really know if AAMC BS is like Kaplan's? I have heard the real deal has verbal-like BS. So that's why I like using Kaplan. If that's not the case then I'll be wasting my time.

Yeah, Kaplan section test 60% correlates to around 10-11 on FLs. They are meant to be hard. How do you do on their BS and VR section tests?