**The Official April 2005 Score Release Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres the format:

PS VR BS Writing Sample Total

Your form

Your expected score range

Your practice scores (including the source: EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR or AAMC)

Your thoughts (retaking? happy? ecstatic? despondent?)

Please do not post in this thread until scores come out at 10 pm ET June 15.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all who did well! For those who don't like your scores, take a deep breath and decided whether you can get it together for August.

sdnstud said:
No, do not retake. If you feel you're lacking EC, take a year off before medical school. You're golden with those numbers. :thumbup:

Totally agree. An improved MCAT score isn't a substitute for clinical experiences, ECs, and LORs. Address those separately, your MCAT score goes very, very well with your GPA.

criminallyinane said:
That's like rubbing salt in someone's wound and then saying, "I feel really bad that I did that." Mean! :(

Seriously. You're better than that, PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kazema said:
You'll be fine, don't sweat it. 9 is about the average verbal score for accepted students I think. Your 34 will definitely make up for any negative effects a 9 might possibly have.

So just relax for now while you wait for the secondaries to come it. Enjoy the lull and bask in your MCAT score ;).

Thanks :). Actually I got a 13 in verbal; the 9 was in PS! :(

hey guys, sorry to intrude on the posting numbers thing...but i dunno what to think about mine...

stats: 3.9 gpa, 33S on this past mcat...do you guys think i have a shot at a top 20 school? i was really really hoping for a 34/35, but i guess i shouldn't whine too much. please please tell me what you think

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

8 8 9 R 25R

Form: AK

Expected: 28-30

Did TPR class and scored in the very high 20s for the last few exams.

Thoughts: Pretty ****ed off right now. >:[

Have a 3.89 GPA. Returning student. 3.93 GPA for my pre-med stuffs. Have BA in English. My application is really strong (apart from MCAT hehehe)

Think I'll just hope for a miracle and retake next April if necessary. I don't think two months is long enough to bring my score up, especially since I haven't touched the material since April. Too busy working full time.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:
PS VR BS Writing Total
12 10 12 Q 34Q

Your form:
CG

Your expected score range:
29-31

Your practice scores (including the source: EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR or AAMC):

I've only gotten a 33 ONCE on Kaplan. The rest of them were consistently 30-31. EK verbals, I consistently got 8's, except for the night before mcat, I got 11, so I thought that was a fluke and it wasn't going to hold out.

Your thoughts (retaking? happy? ecstatic? despondent?):

I am sooo excited! I didn't expect it to be this high. Especially for PS, where I blindly guessed on a lot. I'm happy that I broke a 10 for verbal. I was just praying for a 30 because I didn't feel too hot after the test. And I'm happy about my writing score because I thought my essays sucked so much because I didn't like my prompts and I'm not too strong of a writer to begin with.

10 11 11 P 32P

Your form CG

Your expected score range 28-34

AAMC 3-8: Ranged from 27-35

So happy....SO FREAKING HAPPY! that this is over!

08 11 11 Q 30Q

Your form BK

Your expected score range 30-32

Your practice scores (including the source: EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR or AAMC) 32 Kaplan and 31 AAMC 3R

Your thoughts (retaking? happy? ecstatic? despondent?) Hmm. calm?

I have a question! What do you guys think about that 8? I have a 3.74 overall and 3.74 BCMP from Case Western, and I don't want to go anywhere spectacular, just any Ohio MD school. I have decent extracurriculars and good LORs, and I'm generally a good interviewee. Should I retake? I really don't want to... Any opinions would be great!

34R

P: 11 V: 11 B: 12

Practice tests: 31-37

Expected low 30's.

I'm very happy! Worked my ass of for this exam but thought I completely bombed it afterwards.

FutureDrKt said:
08 11 11 Q 30Q

Your form BK

Your practice scores (including the source: EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR or AAMC) 32 Kaplan and 31 AAMC 3R

I have a question! What do you guys think about that 8? I have a 3.74 overall and 3.74 BCMP from Case Western, and I don't want to go anywhere spectacular, just any Ohio MD school. I have decent extracurriculars and good LORs, and I'm generally a good interviewee. Should I retake? I really don't want to... Any opinions would be great!

hey, you're the first other person with BK i've seen! thank goodness.... i felt like it was so hard. i definitely expected a higher BS though, but am happy with the PS and VR sections.

ended up with a 33S (11,11,11) perfectly even. i think you should be ok with your score...only worry is the 8 PS....how about you try and talk to adcom's and see what they think about things like that?

crazy_cavalier said:
Hey, you're in the same boat i'm in... :( (except you have higher gpa(s) ;) )
What should we do? I'm so #$%@ing jaded. I'm taking it as a sign that I should wait a while, retake it later, and apply through a non-traditional route. I was thinking of maybe spending some more years enriching myself, somehow, although I don't know how. Gosh. What is my life coming to anyway? It's funny I wouldn't even ask myself these questions if I had even ONE more point on this stupid test. That's really bizarre and silly and hilarious and sad all at the same time.

anyway, yeah I totally feel the HUGE :thumbdown: on my 29R... I don't wanna sound like a big whiner or anything, but I worked really HARD for this, and the results are simply put: disappointing. :mad: :( :(

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat- 290 with a 3.48 . . this is my second time taking it too . . .I dunno, any ideas? This is quite upsetting :mad: :( :(

wetlightning said:
hey guys, sorry to intrude on the posting numbers thing...but i dunno what to think about mine...

stats: 3.9 gpa, 33S on this past mcat...do you guys think i have a shot at a top 20 school? i was really really hoping for a 34/35, but i guess i shouldn't whine too much. please please tell me what you think

Yes you def have a shot. If you look, your gpa is higher than the avg for all top 20 schools. And top 20 schools have an avg mcat around 32, 33, 34, 35 so you are right there. If you have some good ec's and LOR's and can handle and interview you can get into a top 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
junebuguf said:
12p, 10v, 12b S

Total: 34S

I was averaging between 34-36 on the practice tests from AAMC

I am disappointed. I thought I would get at least a 35. Oh well. Numb right now

hey junebug,

i totally understand your sentiments. at the risk of sounding like a total ass, i must say that i'm disappointed with my score (33S), cause i was hoping for a 34 at least. well, just wanted to comment on that, and say congratulations to a fellow 99 percentile WS'er!!! i wish it wasn't totally meaningless....

best of luck, enjoy tonight

ferreed said:
10 11 11 P for a 32P, up from a 28P last year.

Feeling very, very blessed. :)

We're pretty much the same...how about that? :laugh:

10 11 11 R for a 32R, up from 28Q (8 10 10) last year

Well I scored under. Junebug got me right. My verbal jacked me.

Form BG
P: 11
V: 10
B: 12
W: Q <--- WHOA!

overall not happy or said, scored higher than practice tests but I wasn't hung over this time, and really was hoping for a push on verbal - had to be close.

Congrats to all.

wetlightning said:

stats: 3.9 gpa, 33S on this past mcat...do you guys think i have a shot at a top 20 school?

I am only going to say this once and I want you to believe me, okay?

You absolutely, 100% have a solid shot at a top 20.

The only qualification of this statement is if your breakdown is 15, 15, 3. ;)

VR 9
BS 11
PS 11
Overall: 31O

I am pretty disappointed with my BS (I had 12-14 in the month before the test) and writing scores, and thought I had a chance at a higher PS. But... oh well.... At least I didn't bomb verbal like I thought I would!! :)

QUESTION for you guys: With a 3.78 GPA (haven't calculated science yet) and average EC's, would you retake in August?? I'm leaning towards no... (practice tests were between 28 and 35) and I really don't want to put myself through that hell again, but do want to get into med. school... :( :( :(

lizanne11 said:
VR 9
BS 11
PS 11

I am pretty disappointed with my BS (I had 12-14 in the month before the test) and writing scores, and thought I had a chance at a higher PS. But... oh well.... At least I didn't bomb verbal like I thought I would!! :)

QUESTION for you guys: With a 3.78 GPA (haven't calculated science yet) and average EC's, would you retake in August?? I'm leaning towards no... (practice tests were between 28 and 35) and I really don't want to put myself through that hell again, but do want to get into med. school... :( :( :(

you will get in! with that score and that gpa. the question is are you set on top 20 schools? or would you like to get in, period. i would definitely think you would get in...most people i know with similar stats have gotten into places like georgetown and wake forest...excellent schools :luck:

PS=10 VR=11 BS=11 WS=Q Total=32Q

Form DG

No expectation

Practiced with AAMC and Kaplan with scores ranging from 9-12 on each section.

My thoughts: Very relieved about the balance, even though the score is on the lower end of an optimal result, based on my practice scores. My pre-med advisor said some schools de-emphasize the MCAT by seeing how many double digit scores a student may have rather than the total score. Probably an urban myth, but one I would like to believe.

Anyone with the same form PM me. Just curious.

Good fortune to all, there's still a long way's to go . . .

criminallyinane said:
The only qualification of this statement is if your breakdown is 15, 15, 3. ;)

haha....good point....much more even breakdown (11P, 11V, 11B, S)

lizanne11 said:
VR 9
BS 11
PS 11

Wow lots of overachievers! You better believe with a 3.8 and a 31 and that even breakdown you have an excellent chance. Well, not even a chance -- you'll get in somewhere. Avg for all schools is like a 3.6 and a 30, which means half of ppl who get into those schools are below those stats, and half are above. Being on the higher side, you're set! Everyone keep your heads up, I am heheh. :D

13P 10V 14B Q = 37Q

Expected Range: 34-37

Form: AH

Still shocked...and smiling :)

10 V
10 P
11 BS
Writing--P

--> AAMC Practice 5-7: 23-30
--> Princeton Review: 24-26 (No joke.)
--> Kaplan: 26

I took the Princeton Review class, used a general Kaplan book for a comphrensive overview and made a LOT of notecards!!

I'm in tears, I'm so excited and happy!! I thought I had totally bombed the thing. YAY!! :D

JustBreathe said:
11 13 14 R 38R

BG, I think

I had no idea

I didn't really have any practice scores.

PS is kind of low, but I will take it. I don't have to retake, right?
This isn't really a great thread for trolls, jack @ss.

SailCrazy said:
This isn't really a great thread for trolls, jack @ss.

I'm not a troll, lol. Just a long-time lurker, first-time poster. This board really helped me through my anxiety in the past couple of days. It was great to see that I wasn't the only one freaking out over the impending release of scores.

15P, 12V, 11B, S, 38S

I was expecting anywhere from 30-40...I could have sworn I bombed PS.

I had form FM

I took TPR...

Practices were: 27, 27, 32, 34, 38. Looks like the last diagnostic (AAMC 7) was right on the mark.

Expected range: 30-35

Practice scores:
Kaplan - Low 30's
AAMC - 34 to 37
Tried one TPR and totally bombed it

Must have been a very generous curve on the PS... although I had noticed that after the test the people with my form seemed to consistently post about the PS being impossible.

FutureDrKt said:
08 11 11 Q 30Q

Your form BK

FutureDrKtl,

I had the same breakdown as you, 8, 11, 11. Don't think I will retake. I am worried about the 8 though. I think you will be fine as an ohio resident. What, 8 schools right? I met a few MCO students a year or so ago, w/ similar and slightly worse numbers. You should be fine. Good luck!!

PS-12 VR-12 BS-12 Writing Sample-Q Total-36Q

Your form - uh...CN maybe? i don't remember

Your expected score range - I was figuring on a 34-36

Your practice scores - 30-34 from Kaplan (who, by the way, turned me down when I applied to teach for them...oh well)

Your thoughts - My thoughts are that I'm ecstatic. I did better than i thought I would, and I was consistent across all the sections.

Anyone have any idea what's up with the scores not showing up on AMCAS though? Or when that might be happening?

JustBreathe said:
I'm not a troll, lol. Just a long-time lurker, first-time poster. This board really helped me through my anxiety in the past couple of days. It was great to see that I wasn't the only one freaking out over the impending release of scores.
That's a little hard to believe from a brand-spanking-new poster who claims to have gotten a 38 with no practice tests and then makes a sarcastic comment about retaking the MCAT.

If you're really not a troll, sorry to call you out. If you are...

enough said.

PS 10
VR 10
BS 11
WR O

Total = 31O
Form: CM
Expected: 28-32
Practice scores (chronologically): 24, 21, 24, 28, 33

I took TPR. I felt I did *TERRIBLE* on PS on test day--I literally had to make random guesses on 3 sections because I mismanaged my time. Verbal is what stunned me most though... I've never broken double digits before (for VR) on a full length test. For nearly 2 solid weeks before the actual test day I did full length verbal tests from EK101... apparently it paid off. The BS score is a little lower than I hoped. I got a 13 on AAMC-7. Oh well, I'm just thrilled beyond words that my score is so balanced. I've never had double digits in ALL sections before!!! :D

SailCrazy said:
That's a little hard to believe from a brand-spanking-new poster who claims to have gotten a 38 with no practice tests and then makes a sarcastic comment about retaking the MCAT.

If you're really not a troll, sorry to call you out. If you are...

enough said.

I used the Kaplan book for review, though I didn't take full-length practice tests like other people did. And the scores that I posted are accurate. My comment about retaking the MCAT was not sarcastic - I really was disappointed that my score wasn't a little more balanced. Sorry for posting as a newbie, I guess I should have refrained.

2 8s and 6 (VR)
this is my third time,
and the end of the line for me...

COngrats and good luck to the rest of you.

tigress said:
Thanks :). Actually I got a 13 in verbal; the 9 was in PS! :(

Oh sorry, my mind was all hopped up on seeing Batman Begins. I think it's even better this way actually.

13 PS / 11 VR / 10 BS / P WS

34 P

I was just hoping for a 31.

I was hitting 30-32 on the diagnostics.

I'm freaking pumped up. I thought I completely scewed the test. Especially Physical Sciences....and I ended up w/ a 13? what the hell? I'm just happy. :D

verbal: 11
PS: 13
BS: 15
WS: S
Total: 39S

i did the kaplan course, and my highest practice test was like a 37 or 38. My lowest was around 32, except for the diagnostic which was in the 20s

happy with bs (i'm a biochem major) and happy with ps (ps was my best section in practice, i was getting 12-14, but i thought it was hard on the test day so 13 is fine with me)

happy with WS because i thought i had messed up one of the essays by going off on a tangent

don't want to sound trollish, but i am applying to top 20 schools, and i had hoped verbal would be a 12. In practice, it was 10-12 though so 11 is prob what i should have expected. still wish it was a 12....but it's all good :)

LadyBulldog--tough act to follow, but CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SCORE(S - ALL OF YOU)! :)

PS = 11
VR = 8 (satisfied about this considering i didn't even read 1 of the killer passages with 14 questions... entirely ran out of time!)
BS = 11
WS = T (elated here. at least i can write decently... just can't read good--er, WELL, rather. :laugh: )

Form: DG
Actual score: 30T
Expected: 25-28 M/N
Practice Scores: TPR 4011 = 24, 4021 = 25, 4031 = 28, AAMC 5R = 33, AAMC 6R = 30, AAMC 7 = 29
GPA: 3.9 with B.S. in Biochemistry

I took the TPR course and frankly, the books were excellent, yet I felt that the lectures were not very helpful. I stopped attending lecture in the last 3 weeks to study at the library on my own. I went through the verbal EK 101 passages in the 2 weeks before the exam... sat for a timed VR practice almost daily. I struggled with VR throughout the process, and I considered voiding my exam after the VR section. I thought my exam resembled the TPR exams in difficulty and passage length to a far greater extent than AAMC's practice materials. Although I know many illustrious posters out there who attained far more desirable scores, I'm still happy with my score! In-state early decision, here I come!!!

Good luck to all in the application process! :)

April 04 - PS 7 VR 9 BS 7 - 23M (wanted to cry)
August 04 - PS 10 VR 10 BS 9 - 29Q
April 05 - PS 11 VR 10 BS 11 - 32P

Form: don't recall, but man PS was tough.

Range: pre-april 04: Kaplan 25-29 post April 04 - AAMC 27-32 EK 29-32

Expected: Just praying I didn't go down :)

Thoughts: For everyone who didn't get what you were hoping, don't give up. I got scores last June and took again in August and went up quite a bit. I work fulltime and go to school at night so stayed up until 1AM most nights studying. Took Kaplan pre-april 04 and thought I was doing OK, but apparently not. Complained to Kaplan and they let me re-enroll. Took all the AAMC practice and every Kaplan subject and topic test before August. Didn't get into any schools (but I applied late after getting scores in October), so decided to try it one more time. Retook the AAMC and got the EK books and practice tests which I thought were pretty good. Probably would have been best if I just studied straight from last June to this year, but not going to complain. Instead I waited to hear from schools and didn't start studying again until Feb 05.

junebuguf said:
Ok, heres the format:

Your form

Your expected score range

Please do not post in this thread until scores come out at 10 pm ET June 15.

12 11 12 35Q
Form AG
Expected: 30-33
Kaplan Practice Tests: 29-34
This is awesome...little puzzled about writing, but that's the best section to be puzzled on I think. I don't have to take it again! Woo Hoo! :D

medMaybe said:
April 04 - PS 7 VR 9 BS 7 - 23M (wanted to cry)
August 04 - PS 10 VR 10 BS 9 - 29Q
April 05 - PS 11 VR 10 BS 11 - 32P

Form: don't recall, but man PS was tough.

Range: pre-april 04: Kaplan 25-29 post April 04 - AAMC 27-32 EK 29-32

Expected: Just praying I didn't go down :)

Thoughts: For everyone who didn't get what you were hoping, don't give up. I got scores last June and took again in August and went up quite a bit. I work fulltime and go to school at night so stayed up until 1AM most nights studying. Took Kaplan pre-april 04 and thought I was doing OK, but apparently not. Complained to Kaplan and they let me re-enroll. Took all the AAMC practice and every Kaplan subject and topic test before August. Didn't get into any schools (but I applied late after getting scores in October), so decided to try it one more time. Retook the AAMC and got the EK books and practice tests which I thought were pretty good. Probably would have been best if I just studied straight from last June to this year, but not going to complain. Instead I waited to hear from schools and didn't start studying again until Feb 05.

Congrats, just goes to show hard work really does pay off. Good luck.

10 ps, 9 bs, 8 vr... 27O and content! Im applying osteopathic and am happy w/ my scores... where are the other 26-29er's and how do they feel? seems like everyone here is either low 20's or 32+?

Hi y'all - congrats to everyone and for those of you who are disappointed chin up and keep on fightin'

PS: 11
BS: 11
VR: 10
WS:Q
=32Q

Form: CM

Expected score- 20-30 I thought I had bombed the test completely (28 and above was only wishful thinking)

Diagnostics: Kaplan- 23, 24, 29, 30, 31..I have never had all sections in the double digits

Feelings: I am in a total state of shock. I was ready to void the test after the physical sciences because I blindly guessed on 3 passages. There must have been a serious curve! I am thanking my lucky stars! Good luck to you all!

PS-11
VR-10
BS-12
WS-R
33R
Last year: 29R

Wow!!! So many SDNers have done so well!!! Congrats! Can't wait to follow everyone's progress. At first I was ecstatic, as I was hoping to break 30, but now my scores feel so inadequate. Anyhow, I'm still stoked. I studied on my own. I used study materials from friends (Berkeley Review, Kaplan, and Princeton Review). Lots of Starbucks coffee at the cafe and also finding that quiet corner in the library. For those planning on taking it again: focus on your weaknesses and do LOTS of timed practice sets. That's all you need.

koalabear said:
Feelings: I am in a total state of shock. I was ready to void the test after the physical sciences because I blindly guessed on 3 passages. There must have been a serious curve! I am thanking my lucky stars! Good luck to you all!

That is so freaky. We are like MCAT twins or something...

I also had form CM, also never got double digits on all sections before the real thing, and I also blindly guessed on 3 full passages on PS

PS: 14
VR: 11
BS: 14
WS: O

Your form: BH

Your expected score range: 35-40. I expected to do much better on the writing before I took the test, but expected more along the lines that I got after I totally screwed up one of my essays.

Your practice scores:
5r: 36, 6r: 37, 7: 37, 8: 40

Your thoughts (retaking? happy? ecstatic? despondent?):

Very happy, and releaved with the verbal (the only section I had any doubts on). I'd be running around screaming, but I *really* wanted to get a 40, but that's a disapointment I can deal with :) . My main goal was to be in the ballpark of my expired score that I got while I was still in school (13,12,13, P = 38P). I did that, so now it's just time to finish up my application.

It's a good thing I did good, cause I'm interviewing people all day Friday, and I'd be ripping people new ones if I'd done badly. :smuggrin:

11 10 9 N 30N
AT
27-29(uhh don't really know was going from 26-32 sometimes, bad days thinking a 27 good days thinking could be a 32)

Kaplan
Diag 24
Prac I 27
Prac 3 28
Prac 4 30
Prac 5 31
AAMC: very wierd I would do good in one section like 11s in PS and then 7 or 8s in BS or vice versa
AAMC 6 29
AAMC 7 PS 8 BS 10 did not take verbal
AAMC 8 PS 10 BS 8 did not take verbal

My thoughts: Alhamdulillah I'm soooo happy I was on the train when my friend called me that scores are out so I called my brother at home to check it out for me. People on the train thought I was crazy afterwards lol

PS 10
VS 9
BS 11
WS P

My GPA is a 3.95

Should I retake it or do any of you think I have a good chance of getting into a school? Thanks for any imput.

P.S. took the kaplan class and do not think it helped any

13 11 12 N 36N

form: AH
expected: 32-37
practice scores: 32-37

my feelings=numb, confused... is this good enough? everyone in this forum is so brilliant...

Status
Not open for further replies.