The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
did you use any of the AAMC material? how many full lengths and which ones? if it were me i would do a retake and instead of taking a course i would self study and create a good schedule. some people might say otherwise because your ECs and gpa is good, but what would you say in an interview if they asked you why didnt you retake?

Hello,

Also April test taker here. I got 510, 127/127/128/128. I have a 3.2 gpa. I am a Washington state resident and UW is my dream school. Should I retake and wait to apply for next cycle? Any advice would be appreciated. :)

You can apply to UW. They prefer in-staters. I have a buddy that is from Washington state that got an interview with worse stats (he was eventually rejected).

Remember to apply to the new DO school that's opening in-state.

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to retake the mcat. Here is the breakdown 125/128/125/129 (507 total) (chem/CARS/bio/psych). I'm upset about the science scores. here's a little of my background
gpa 3.83 , science gpa 3.7
research assistant for 2 years (orthopedics), co-authored 3 papers, presented at international conference
Research assistant in college as well
strong LOR's
shadowing>200 hrs
1 yr volunteering at children's hospital (200hrs)

I am happy to go D.O. route. I was wondering if I'm competitive for D.O. schools with these scores? Am I at all competitive for M.D. ?
Also, I don't want to skip this round because I'm pushing 30 and would like to move forward with my life

Thanks for the advice and please be kind but honest

You are competitive for DO, for sure. What state are you from? I once read somewhere that if you score below 127 on two sections it raises eyebrows for MD schools. Most places give a "free pass" for 125 or 126 on one section. I'm not an adcom member so I can't verify that but it's what I've heard.

If you definitely want MD -- and I think you could do it safely with your stats and a slightly higher MCAT -- you'd be more secure with a retake. IMHO if you're a psych major and scored that well in CARS, you don't have much to risk by doing a retake. C/P and B/B just require some more practice and your psych+CARS aren't likely to go down that much if at all.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to UW. They prefer in-staters. I have a buddy that is from Washington state that got an interview with worse stats (he was eventually rejected).

WSU is going to be MD.

Just got home from vacation today and finally checked my score. Feeling so relieved right now.

Overall 517
C/P: 130
CARS: 129
B/B: 128
P/S: 130

So happy with how this turned out, and relieved to finally be done with the dang thing. Kinda surprised by B/B as it was always my best section but honestly can't complain!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got home from vacation today and finally checked my score. Feeling so relieved right now.

Overall 517
C/P: 130
CARS: 129
B/B: 128
P/S: 130

So happy with how this turned out, and relieved to finally be done with the dang thing. Kinda surprised by B/B as it was always my best section but honestly can't complain!
How did you do on the sample and scored?

You are competitive for DO, for sure. You might be able to score an MD acceptance as well but it'd be a toss-up. What state are you from? Unless you're from Cali, I'd apply to your state MD schools and the private MD schools with lower MCAT requirements. I once read somewhere that if you score below 127 on two sections it raises eyebrows for MD schools. Most places give a "free pass" for 125 or 126 on one section but for two sections it makes you seem unbalanced/unable to handle the diversity of the med school curriculum. I'm not an adcom member so I can't verify that but it's what I've heard.

If you definitely want MD -- and I think you could do it safely with your stats and a slightly higher MCAT -- I'd recommend a retake. IMHO if you're a psych major and scored that well in CARS, you don't have much to risk by doing a retake. C/P and B/B just require some more practice and your psych+CARS aren't likely to go down that much if at all.
I'm in Oregon...Thanks so much for the advice. I think you're right. I think If I just key in on those two sections and utilize more of the AAMC materials and perhaps Khan academy it will bump my scores up. Thanks!

did you use any of the AAMC material? how many full lengths and which ones? if it were me i would do a retake and instead of taking a course i would self study and create a good schedule. some people might say otherwise because your ECs and gpa is good, but what would you say in an interview if they asked you why didnt you retake?
I relied way more on kaplan. 6 practice tests all kaplan (tried the aamc practice test and it kept crashing). You're right about the interview. Thanks!

Jeez guys, I was cool as a cucumber till I saw your guys' scores. I even walked in and out of that testing center relaxed and confident. Now I'm freaking the heck out because I'm seeing people score lower than their scored practice

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to retake the mcat. Here is the breakdown 125/128/125/129 (507 total) (chem/CARS/bio/psych). I'm upset about the science scores. here's a little of my background
gpa 3.83 , science gpa 3.7
research assistant for 2 years (orthopedics), co-authored 3 papers, presented at international conference
Research assistant in college as well
strong LOR's
shadowing>200 hrs
1 yr volunteering at children's hospital (200hrs)

I am happy to go D.O. route. I was wondering if I'm competitive for D.O. schools with these scores? Am I at all competitive for M.D. ?
Also, I don't want to skip this round because I'm pushing 30 and would like to move forward with my life

Thanks for the advice and please be kind but honest

As you have likely deduced from feedback already, you have a strong application with the exception of the two science sections. The 125 in B/B is going to be a thorn in your application's side. Repeating the MCAT is probably necessary for DO (and a must for MD), but you have to get 127s in those two sections to make the delay in your application worthwhile.

Focus completely on passages. Get books with the most useful and helpful answer explanations (ones that are detailed and centered around problem solving). You've reviewed the material already, so now it's time to practice, practice, practice. But that practice is only going to be helpful if you learn from every question how to be a faster, more insightful test-taker.

this teach guy probably isnt allowed to say it so I will. Berkeley review is hands down the best content books I bought and I highly recommend you get their stuff. you probably can skip physics because kaplan and khan will be enough but get their chemistry and bio books and you wont regret it

Reactions: 1 users
Not only that, I took the Berkeley Review Course and I got a 503 the first time (cars was 123). I just re-took on May 20th. Do every BR passage you can, and for some of them who cares what you score on them. The most absolute critical thing you have to do is read through their long ass answer explanations, because I promise you that is how you learn. Do the passages and try to do the best you can on them under timed conditions then make sure you spend 3-4 times as long on reading each answer explanation.

My C/P was a 127 B/B was a 126 and P/S was a 127. I personally needed more time than just 2.5 months to do well on the MCAT thats why I was a little low on my scoring but I still stuck with BR

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay, thank you for your feedback! :)

I got a 506 on my scored FL (127/126/128/125) and an 80.5% on my unscored exam. I'm taking the exam next week. think I could score higher than a 506?

Keeping your cool in the testing room is pretty much all you can do now. Do your best to stay focused. If you haven't been doing your practice MCATs in one sitting, practice that.
I beat my scored FL by 2. Some people have been as high as 4+ but I'd say the avg is being [-1 up to +2] on the real compared to your scored FL.

That is to say, you certainly could. If you haven't gone through the AAMC section banks, make it a point to at least scan those so you're familiar with all the content. It would've gotten me a point or two to have done that. I was kicking myself on some of the straight-up content.

Good luck and stay calm.

Keeping your cool in the testing room is pretty much all you can do now. Do your best to stay focused. If you haven't been doing your practice MCATs in one sitting, practice that.
I beat my scored FL by 2. Some people have been as high as 4+ but I'd say the avg is being [-1 up to +2] on the real compared to your scored FL.

That is to say, you certainly could. If you haven't gone through the AAMC section banks, make it a point to at least scan those so you're familiar with all the content. It would've gotten me a point or two to have done that. I was kicking myself on some of the straight-up content.

Good luck and stay calm.
I def did the banks: scored ~65% on all of them. That's what frustrates me because I did well on all the aamc stuff except this test. And even when looking at the scored FL, psych was what got me...

Walking out on 4/23 i felt ok about C/P, kicked around by bio, and good about CARS, and P/S
But CARS and P/S were my weakest sections...Not Bio.

I def did the banks: scored ~65% on all of them. That's what frustrates me because I did well on all the aamc stuff except this test. And even when looking at the scored FL, psych was what got me...

Oh don't worry so much about that percentage. Every passage on an MCAT has one or two questions that are 'zingers,' intentionally designed to be harder than the rest of the questions in the passage. The Section Bank is made up almost exclusively of those 'zingers.' The parts of the section bank I did get through (like...50%, maybe?) weren't a whole lot better than that. The most important reason that I mention them is to get the content. Things like K_d, which is heavily tested on the MCAT, but is not present in any Kaplan books (or my biochemistry course, for that matter).

Oh don't worry so much about that percentage. Every passage on an MCAT has one or two questions that are 'zingers,' intentionally designed to be harder than the rest of the questions in the passage. The Section Bank is made up almost exclusively of those 'zingers.' The parts of the section bank I did get through (like...50%, maybe?) weren't a whole lot better than that. The most important reason that I mention them is to get the content. Things like K_d, which is heavily tested on the MCAT, but is not present in any Kaplan books (or my biochemistry course, for that matter).
So then did you score similar to me (506) on the scored FL? No idea how that happened, but my breakdowns were: 127/126/128/125. The psych brought me down. The unscored FL put me at a 515...although I had taken it before but remembered nothing.

So then did you score similar to me (506) on the scored FL? No idea how that happened, but my breakdowns were: 127/126/128/125. The psych brought me down. The unscored FL put me at a 515...although I had taken it before but remembered nothing.

Not quite. My scored FL was 522 and my real ended up at 524 (April 1st). I didn't keep track of my actual %ages but I think my section bank scores were in the low/mid 70's.

Even if you think you remembered nothing, it is very unlikely that you were actually coming into it tabula rasa. Our minds remember more than we realize sometimes.
What is your targeting? Where are you hoping to go? Have you established a retake threshold for yourself?

I really have to say, great choice in TV show for your profile, one of my top 3 favorite shows for sure.

Not quite. My scored FL was 522 and my real ended up at 524 (April 1st). I didn't keep track of my actual %ages but I think my section bank scores were in the low/mid 70's.

Even if you think you remembered nothing, it is very unlikely that you were actually coming into it tabula rasa. Our minds remember more than we realize sometimes.
What is your targeting? Where are you hoping to go? Have you established a retake threshold for yourself?

Targeting close to a 509-510. I def can't afford a retake on this test, been through too much already. I did section bank with 65% approx in each. I'm a Texas resident so I'd like to stay in state.

I know but I definitely had no knowledge of that exam. I'd taken it back in August, totally blind in what I remembered. Maybe 1 question out of all

Targeting close to a 509-510. I def can't afford a retake on this test, been through too much already. I did section bank with 65% approx in each. I'm a Texas resident so I'd like to stay in state.

I know but I definitely had no knowledge of that exam. I'd taken it back in August, totally blind in what I remembered. Maybe 1 question out of all

As a fellow TX resident, let me just say you live in the right state to want to go into med school. There's, like, 9 schools now.
If you really didn't remember it, what is your theory as to why the grade seems so high? How much do you trust the percentile-score converter you used?
How good are you in high-stress?

As a fellow TX resident, let me just say you live in the right state to want to go into med school. There's, like, 9 schools now.
If you really didn't remember it, what is your theory as to why the grade seems so high? How much do you trust the percentile-score converter you used?
How good are you in high-stress?
Yeah, hopefully I'll get into one of them. Kind of hoping for a UT school though.

I felt like I knew how to read the passages and interpret information a lot better this time around. I'd been doing well in the section banks also. I'm reviewing the scored FL and a lot of mistakes were indeed due to careless.

It depends. I think I tend to calm down after the first few questions though

You can't count it when you take it the second time

The 125 in B/B is going to be a thorn in your application's side. Repeating the MCAT is probably necessary for DO (and a must for MD).

@Nousername31788 ^ This is NOT true at all. You should be fine applying with a 507 as long as you apply EARLY, BROADLY, and with a quality application. If you call most admissions offices they will tell you you are a competitive applicant for this cycle. Unless you are stingy on your school choices, you will be fine applying with your score. Worst case scenario, you don't get any love by early Winter, then you retake in January for next cycle. But by all means do not 1) rush to retake or 2) delay your application with that score. Submit BROADLY and get verified ASAP. And be sure to have a quick turn around for your secondaries.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if MSAR is worth it? I have an idea of some schools I want to apply to, but not entirely sure. I'd rather not shell out another $27 to AAMC when these applications are gonna be several hundred. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if MSAR is worth it? I have an idea of some schools I want to apply to, but not entirely sure. I'd rather not shell out another $27 to AAMC when these applications are gonna few several hundred. Any thoughts?
it's a drop in the bucket lol
just sell your old mcat materials

Does anyone know if MSAR is worth it? I have an idea of some schools I want to apply to, but not entirely sure. I'd rather not shell out another $27 to AAMC when these applications are gonna few several hundred. Any thoughts?
100% worth it

Are you guys putting high school classes into AMCAS? If you are, are there certain ones you are putting in? Like AP's?

I didnt use any of my high school courses for AP's so I should just not list them?

I really wouldn't unless you had one of those experiences with a partner college where you do half your high school at the comm college and grad high school with an associates. Med schools don't care.

Does anyone know if MSAR is worth it? I have an idea of some schools I want to apply to, but not entirely sure. I'd rather not shell out another $27 to AAMC when these applications are gonna be several hundred. Any thoughts?

The cost of the MSAR is offset by figuring out at least 1 school that you will not to apply to for whatever reason

How do I even begin making a school list? MSAR has 10th-90th percentile range for MCAT and GPA. How do I interpret that? Do I pick the number in the middle of the range and see if I am above that and pick that school to apply to? Also, how do I interpret the Lizzy score? Any suggestions?

Is it really?? Lol are you guys verified by AMCAS yet? I haven't filled in all my work/activities yet, or finished my PS. How long does it take to get verified usually?

Is it really?? Lol are you guys verified by AMCAS yet? I haven't filled in all my work/activities yet, or finished my PS. How long does it take to get verified usually?

Can't be verified until AMCAS submission starts (June 7). It typically doesn't take that long if you get your app in early, but if not, it can take up to 5-6 weeks.

Is getting your AMCAS verified the same as submitting it? Do they have to verify it and THEN you apply, or is it just one step?

Is getting your AMCAS verified the same as submitting it? Do they have to verify it and THEN you apply, or is it just one step?
Once it's verified it's submitted to all the schools you've applied to. But only after June 27th I believe. Don't quote me on that date though

my mind at this point is basically void of all things MCAT but I can't keep myself from coming to this place lol

Reactions: 2 users
I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)

does anyone have any feedback/insight on whether i'm ready for my exam this friday 7/8, im aiming for a 507-508+
for NS 1-6 exams I ranged between 502-506
EK 3=62%, EK 4=61%

do you guys think a 507 is doable?