The Official August 2, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The date is quickly approaching and it is time to step it up guys!

Who all is taking the test on this date?

Lets work together and make sure we all score well!

Members don't see this ad.

So my prep for the test starts on May 9th, the day after my last exam. For materials I am using
TPR
EK
EK1001 Series
AAMC Official Tests
Old Baron/Petersen Tests
Chad's Videos

What is everyone else using?

Bringing the thread up, there must be more than just me writing on this date

I'm getting excited! My final exam is on Monday at 4, then its full steam ahead!

Members don't see this ad :)
My last final is the 9th... Studying to commence on the following monday. Right now I just have a whole bunch of old practice exams and such. What do you guys think the best section specific review books are? Im kinda new to this forum so any help is appreciated!

The general consensus from what I've read around here is that people prefer the Berkley Review books for most topics except Biology. The problem with TBR is that to order you must get them via mail order.

Others suggest Exam Krackers if you have a solid foundation already as it has less indepth explaining but is useful for quick content review

Most agree to use the 1001 Exam Krackers books
The actual AAMC exams are highly suggested to test yourself.

I personally will be utilizing The Princeton Review + Exam Krackers for my content review

Hey Qester, this is my take on each section. For chemistry and physics, I think hands down its Berkeley Review. They explain each topic really well and there's a lot of practice for each sections (This is the benefit of BR, there is a lot of practice for each topic). For biology, I think Princeton review is okay in terms of explaining the material, but there is not that many practice question. I supplemented my biology study with online material such as Khan academy and the EK biology book (but the thing with EK is that you also need supplemental materials, because they don't go too much in detail, but they explain each section pretty well). The BR is not that great for biology because they have too much fluff for each bio section. But the good thing is that they have really hard questions that really test to see if you know the materials which can be good practice for the MCAT. For O.Chem, I personally think BR does a great job in terms of explaining the material and the amount of practice we get. However, there are people on SDN who disliked BR for O. Chem because they have more than what you need to know. Which I think is okay because I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

In summary:

Biology: I don't think there is one single company that covers the material well, you need to use online materials to supplement the reading. As for the practice, BR gives you a lot of questions, but they are really hard( good practice for MCAT)

Chemistry and Physics: BR hands down due to the amount of practice and how well they explain the material.

O.chem: BR is good, but some people think there more stuff than you need to know.

nightowl0721, if BR was more accessible I definitely would be using them as my primary prep tool. As an international student however the increased shipping + shipping time just wasn't feasible for myself to use BR. I feel that TPR is lacking in their questions as well, so I have purchased all the EK1001 and the 101 verbal to help reinforce.

I personally use Chad's videos as well for clarity.

I also have some old school GS stuff, baron stuff and Peterson stuff including many practice exams that I will use for extra questions

Hi everyone,

I am also taking it on August 2nd and it is my third time taking this test :scared:
I graduated this year and don't start my graduate studies until August so I decided to fully devote my time into studying this time. Hopefully I can get the score I need!
I'm using EK but supplementing it with BR for the topics I am lacking on.
Wishing everyone good luck on studying! :) I will update from time to time~

Welcome Boto!

I hope you can pull out the score you want!

I just finished my final exam of nursing school ever! Soon I will take the NCLEX and hopefully pass that and become an RN.

I just got my final study prep book in EK verbal 101, study schedule starts tomorrow!

Hey all,

I'll be taking mine on August 2nd as well. I've actually signed up for a TPR course out of fear I'll lose intensity on my own mid-way through. At least this will allow me to get through content review in a guaranteed timely manner. Any supplemental self-studying I should be doing?

Also, I have one month after my TPR course finishes to prep for the MCAT. Any advice on what to do with this month once I've completed content review? My focus will be on going through the AAMC practice exams and reviewing them as well as using some of the TPR practice exams.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

I have already fallen behind on my studying, I need to step up my effort, how is everyone else doing?

Hi everyone! Glad that someone finally started this thread. Yes, I write my MCAT on second day of August as well and this will be my second time writing it. I wrote it last year and got a 30Q, bombing the verbal with a 6! So, this time around, my focus will primarily be improving my verbal except I am not really sure what to do, so the plan for now is practice practice and practice. Once I get started, I'll see what the verbal score trend is for me and if it doesn't show an improvement, I'll have to find a better strategy. Also, I see most of you guys have already started, I intend to start on May 18. I will primarily be using EK as well, and 1001 for verbal, and some Kaplan tests as well. Will keep everyone posted from time to time, and look forward to hearing on how everyone else is doing.

Well I did my first two ek1001 "practice tests today"
Using aamc scaling for my bio test I scored a 9 and for my VR i scored a 10. I haven't done physical sciences yet because I am afraid

Members don't see this ad :)
I fell a bit behind already too due to the long weekend (I'm in Canada).

So far, I've covered the first three physics and biology chapters and the corresponding practice questions from EK in class, EK 1001 and PR Science Workbook (should start doing BR passages as well).

As for verbal, I took all three in class tests in the review book and scored very poorly on all of them (got 6s and one 4 :scared:). Got really discouraged after that and stopped taking EK verbal and instead started reading bunch of news articles from the local newspaper, Economist, NY Times etc... everyday and have taken PR verbal psgs instead and been regularly getting 1-3 wrong/psg so I hope it is improving!

I think the first few weeks of review period can be the most diffucult time during the MCAT studying. I hope the studying is going well for everyone! Hope the hard work pays off and we can all achieve the scores we need in the end.

Go Canadians:) If you haven't guessed I am Canadian too! I am trying to get this date too, hoping someone drops a seat.

Well gr222403 I wish you luck! I have some friends writing on the same date who may or may not take the test where are you looking to write it?

I just took the EK physics in class lecture 1 and was able to score a 12 which I am extremely happy with, lets just hope I am able to keep this up for the next 2 lectures and onto the MCAT.

I'm taking the August 2nd exam as well. I'm doing the Kaplan course and supplementing it with BR for physics, gen chem, bio, and verbal (whenever my books get here). I officially got started on the 21st of May, I needed a good break after I graduated. Right now Kaplan just has me doing physics and chemistry, with a lot of problems. After taking a test I go back through it, write down what I missed and how to get the correct answer. This is my third time taking the exam as well; I hope the Kaplan course and TBR (whenever I receive them) help me get the score that I need/want. :D :thumbup:

I'm taking the August 2nd exam as well. I'm doing the Kaplan course and supplementing it with BR for physics, gen chem, bio, and verbal (whenever my books get here). I officially got started on the 21st of May, I needed a good break after I graduated. Right now Kaplan just has me doing physics and chemistry, with a lot of problems. After taking a test I go back through it, write down what I missed and how to get the correct answer. This is my third time taking the exam as well; I hope the Kaplan course and TBR (whenever I receive them) help me get the score that I need/want. :D :thumbup:

Welcome! What score do you hope to get? How are you studying differently this time ?

Well gr222403 I wish you luck! I have some friends writing on the same date who may or may not take the test where are you looking to write it?

I just took the EK physics in class lecture 1 and was able to score a 12 which I am extremely happy with, lets just hope I am able to keep this up for the next 2 lectures and onto the MCAT.

I am writing in Halifax, good luck to you too!

Welcome! What score do you hope to get? How are you studying differently this time ?

I would like to get a 30. I'm taking a Kaplan course and I'm gonna spend a lot more time on content review and answering stand alone questions for that section. I'm also gonna do the TBR for practice passages. Then after that I'm just gonna do a tone of practice test; going over each question that I miss and guess on and understanding why the answer is what it is. The first two times I studied for it I just did a little bit of content review and some practice test, and not reviewing that test afterwards.

Well work hard and I'm sure you will get it! Also if anyone has any videos or links they'd like to share to liven this up that would be great

Taking it also on this date (08/02/13)... I am shooting for 28+ and I have taken 2 AAMC FLs already....

AAMC#3 (10/6/8 = 24)...
AAMC#6 (11/6/9 = 26)...

I need to get my VR up to a 9, work more on BS, and polish my PS a little bit... I will keep you updated...

Got my Berkeley Review books yesterday!! Today I'm just gonna review my Bonding and Chemical Interactions quiz (Kaplan) and look back at my science assessment and MCAT Diagnostic (Kaplan) for that section and see if I missed any questions on that topic. I'm also gonna do 2 physics quizzes today as well and some practice AAMC physics passages. Gonna start doubling up my Kaplan books with Berkeley after my first practice test. We are 63 days out!!

Taking it also on this date (08/02/13)... I am shooting for 28+ and I have taken 2 AAMC FLs already....

AAMC#3 (10/6/8 = 24)...
AAMC#6 (11/6/9 = 26)...

I need to get my VR up to a 9, work more on BS, and polish my PS a little bit... I will keep you updated...

You have got this 28+ in the bag temp!

I haven't taken a full length yet just timed chapter tests from EK. So far after chapter1 I am looking at

Bio:9
Verbal:8
Physics:12
Chemistry:10

I haven't taken an orgo yet, still self-teaching myself it and man is it hard.. I would like a 28 as well so hopefully lets work hard and get this together

Hi all, I'm trying to get myself motivated to retake this test again.
I took it this in April this year, score was released yesterday, and I bombed with a whooping 20. I immediately signed up for the August one because my applications have already been sent.

I know, I'm coming to terms with the idea of reapplying again.
In any case, I was insufficient in studying before (obviously) but I'm trying to zone in more now. This is a wake up call, and I hope you'll all give me love these upcoming months :)

About myself -- 20 y.o, 3.86 GPA UG, I'm going into my senior year, +670 hours of clinical experience working in the ER, tons of ECs, research, etc. Major BIO, Minors: Chem, Spanish, and Business. I've been working really hard but slacked off when preparing for my last MCAT.
I took 7 AAMC practices in a week and improved my scores from 17-24. Clearly, I can improve it more given more content review and time.

LET'S DO THIS EVERYONE. I don't think I can keep an 8-5 schedule of studying, but I'll try my hardest to commit 3-4 hours/day and slowly increase in summer II after my class is done.

I WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK.

Hi all, I'm trying to get myself motivated to retake this test again.
I took it this in April this year, score was released yesterday, and I bombed with a whooping 20. I immediately signed up for the August one because my applications have already been sent.

I know, I'm coming to terms with the idea of reapplying again.
In any case, I was insufficient in studying before (obviously) but I'm trying to zone in more now. This is a wake up call, and I hope you'll all give me love these upcoming months :)

About myself -- 20 y.o, 3.86 GPA UG, I'm going into my senior year, +670 hours of clinical experience working in the ER, tons of ECs, research, etc. Major BIO, Minors: Chem, Spanish, and Business. I've been working really hard but slacked off when preparing for my last MCAT.
I took 7 AAMC practices in a week and improved my scores from 17-24. Clearly, I can improve it more given more content review and time.

LET'S DO THIS EVERYONE. I don't think I can keep an 8-5 schedule of studying, but I'll try my hardest to commit 3-4 hours/day and slowly increase in summer II after my class is done.

I WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK.

I took on april 27; my score was 24 (7/8/9). My goal is at least a 1 point improvement for each section. I thought my preparation was adequate (AAMC practice test average = 26.5), but a few of my weakness showed up in a big way on thee physical sciences section (2 FULL passages). I was averaging 11 on the practice tests and was caught off guard on test day. I'm using a TPR review course that goes from tomorrow until Aug. 2. I am retaking on August 3. Also, I'm taking organic chemistry ii right now, I hope that helps give me a little bump in my score too, but the MCAT only had one passage about organic chemistry.

You have got this 28+ in the bag temp!

I haven't taken a full length yet just timed chapter tests from EK. So far after chapter1 I am looking at

Bio:9
Verbal:8
Physics:12
Chemistry:10

I haven't taken an orgo yet, still self-teaching myself it and man is it hard.. I would like a 28 as well so hopefully lets work hard and get this together

I really need that 28+ so I can be competitive for DO due to my lackluster cGPA (3.15)...I think if I can get that VR to 9+, 28+ is very much attainable...I will continue to work my @ss off in verbal and BS until test date... We can do it!:thumbup:

I took on april 27; my score was 24 (7/8/9). My goal is at least a 1 point improvement for each section. I thought my preparation was adequate (AAMC practice test average = 26.5), but a few of my weakness showed up in a big way on thee physical sciences section (2 FULL passages). I was averaging 11 on the practice tests and was caught off guard on test day. I'm using a TPR review course that goes from tomorrow until Aug. 2. I am retaking on August 3. Also, I'm taking organic chemistry ii right now, I hope that helps give me a little bump in my score too, but the MCAT only had one passage about organic chemistry.

Do not settle only for 8 in PS! You can easily increase PS by 3+ points if you use TPR and EK1001....I think you should shoot for 30+ since you VR skill is not that bad--but probably needs some 'refining' so to speak...

Hey Everyone! Glad to be part of this thread. August 2nd will be my second official MCAT. I bombed my first exam with a :scared: 20 (7,7,6). My AAMC practice tests were all over the place ranging from 19-30, and I had trouble balancing classes with my MCAT prep. I used the EK homestudy schedule, but I know know that I need the guidance of a course, strategy, etc... I am taking the classroom Kaplan summer course to prepare :thumbup:

Pre-med student
GPA 3.5
Goal MCAT 28, would love to see a 3 in front of my number!:love:
Is anyone else doing Kaplan?

You can do this!!! We can do this!! What time do y'all start studying? I try to be in the books by 10.

It is summer and my sleeping schedule is wack. I had a dream of doing a 1000-1900 regimen, but it's becoming more and more like a 1500-0300 with breaks since I only wake up at 1400ish lol. Ah well. Sleep mucho importante.

Random, but why do internationals say "writing the exam?" Makes it sound like you're designing the questions. Is this one of the few things where the American way makes more sense?!?!? :confused: "Taking the exam" flows a lot better imho.

Lets get this thread going! We should start posting our progress so we can encourage each other. It seems like most in here are hibernating...Lol... I, myself, have not seen that much progress in VR, but I have been getting 8 average in EK 101, which is a score I'll be happy with in the real test. I might take AAMC#4 tomorrow... Hoping to get 28+ on it after get 26 in AAMC#6.

AAMC#4....(9/9/9) = 27 .... Very disappointed with my PS score, but I am extremely pleased with my progress in VR... I could not access the periodic table in that test, which cost me one point in PS....

Last edited:
Lets get this thread going! We should start posting our progress so we can encourage each other. It seems like most in here are hibernating...Lol... I, myself, have not seen that much progress in VR, but I have been getting 8 average in EK 101, which is a score I'll be happy with in the real test. I might take AAMC#4 tomorrow... Hoping to get 28+ on it after get 26 in AAMC#6.

Congrats on the verbal, just keep practicing and I think you can bump it up more. As for me, I started out with a 6 in verbal and sometimes I would get like a 7/8. But now, I'm constantly getting 8/9 and maybe a couple of 7s. So overall my base score has definitely improved and my highest score has also improved. But the constant 8/9 that I am getting recently is really making me happy.

Congrats on the verbal, just keep practicing and I think you can bump it up more. As for me, I started out with a 6 in verbal and sometimes I would get like a 7/8. But now, I'm constantly getting 8/9 and maybe a couple of 7s. So overall my base score has definitely improved and my highest score has also improved. But the constant 8/9 that I am getting recently is really making me happy.

Have you taken any FLs yet? If so, what scores have you been getting?

No not yet. What I do for EK is that I would do them in ~40 questions and aim to get 29 problems right, which is a 9 in almost all of the AAMC's scale.

No not yet. What I do for EK is that I would do them in ~40 questions and aim to get 29 problems right, which is a 9 in almost all of the AAMC's scale.

I have been getting 24-29 out 40 from EK as well, but I want to stay in the 28-30 range because VR is what might stop me from getting my target score.

I have been getting 24-29 out 40 from EK as well, but I want to stay in the 28-30 range because VR is what might stop me from getting my target score.

Keep practicing, I think that is the most important way to improve your verbal score or any other section. What other resources are you using for verbal?

Hey Everyone! Glad to be part of this thread. August 2nd will be my second official MCAT. I bombed my first exam with a :scared: 20 (7,7,6). My AAMC practice tests were all over the place ranging from 19-30, and I had trouble balancing classes with my MCAT prep. I used the EK homestudy schedule, but I know know that I need the guidance of a course, strategy, etc... I am taking the classroom Kaplan summer course to prepare :thumbup:

Pre-med student
GPA 3.5
Goal MCAT 28, would love to see a 3 in front of my number!:love:
Is anyone else doing Kaplan?

I am!!! So far so good. :thumbup:

Hey all!

I am currently scheduled for the July 2nd mcat but have been very disappointed with my aamc practice scores (18-22). I have the capability to change my test date to August 2nd.

What are your thoughts on the August 2nd date corresponding to the application process? I have been told this is too late to be considered at all :(

Thanks for any help and or advice!

Hey all!

I am currently scheduled for the July 2nd mcat but have been very disappointed with my aamc practice scores (18-22). I have the capability to change my test date to August 2nd.

What are your thoughts on the August 2nd date corresponding to the application process? I have been told this is too late to be considered at all :(

Thanks for any help and or advice!

August 2nd test date (score release in September) is really late. Labor Day is well-known by adcoms to be the really late deadline. An 18-22 plus a late application will make it very risky to even get replies from DO schools, unless you have a stellar GPA and incredible ECs, but they can only go so far. Perhaps delaying your application by a year and taking time to get a >25 on the MCAT would pay off better in the long run.

Just finished another ek verbal test
10 on my last 2
Scored a 9 on my micro section
Still struggling with physical sciences
I am on a treadmill as I write this after my workout 2 more hour of physical before bed

I have not been studying that much since my last AAMC FL on June 13th... How do I stay motivated? I don't want to blew my chance on test day since I am making some progress...I cant seem find a way to stay motivated....