The Official August 2, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The date is quickly approaching and it is time to step it up guys!

Who all is taking the test on this date?

Lets work together and make sure we all score well!

Members don't see this ad.

SOOO many lurkers right now. (51 guests viewing)

10-15% will make an account just to post their scores and disappear again forever afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'll start.

PS-9 VR-13 BS-8 Total-30

Not disappointed with the total or the verbal but not happy with PS and shocked with BS. I have never scored that low on a bio section but I did feel like complete crap about that section post-test so... Hello September 11!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

jeHntFP.png

So either Qester is lying, or everyone else is too afraid to post their scores.

Pfft I am not a liar :p

I ended up hitting my 30 goal! And it is pretty balanced!
I am a little disappointed with my BS mark but am happy with my score

Last edited:
Pfft I am not a liar :p

PS- 9 VR- 11 BS- 10 Composite 30

I ended up hitting my 30 goal! And it is pretty balanced!
I am a little disappointed with my BS mark but am happy with my score

Congr...the composite is solid....and is well balanced. :thumbup:

Scored a 31

PS - 12
VR - 09
BS - 10

Improved from a 25O last year.

I have an exam scheduled for this Saturday and i'm wondering whether to retake or not. Although this sounds absurd, i'm from Canada and most schools have a VR cutoff of 10 with one school only taking your verbal score.

I suppose I'll take the exam on Saturday, see how i feel about it, and decide then whether to void or not.

Congratulations to all of you who got their dream score

The lack of people posting their scores makes me think this wasn't too great for everyone.

11 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS

Should I kill myself because of this 8 in verbal?

I honestly thought it was the least difficult section

Congrats to everyone who scored really well. I am so heartbroken at this point I am not sure what to do. I have an overall 27 but that verbal really killed me. I scored a 6. I have never scored that low in any practice test. With a 3.96 GPA and strong ECs, I think I will retake ad wait for next cycle. Really disappointed but congrats to those who scored well. Wish me luck...

I want to know from you guys if putting in 6-8hrs per day in your 3-4month period really worked out or 2-3hrs worked out just fine? I rescheduled to some date in 2014.

Thanks for the response...

I want to know from you guys if putting in 6-8hrs per day in your 3-4month period really worked out or 2-3hrs worked out just fine? I rescheduled to some date in 2014.

I technically took on august 3rd but I'll give a response.

I studied for 3 1/2 months, taking 2 weeks off during that period. I put in 4-6 hours a day. My study materials were Kaplan review books, and examkrackers 1001 questions. I also did 5 AAMC FL's and 5 Kaplan FL's.

My diagnostic was 31 (9 PS, 10V, 12BS)

My last three average on the AAMC was about a 37 (12, 11, 14)

My actual score was a 39 (12,12,15)

I would say about 4-5 hours a day is sufficient, but in reality everyone is different. I know 6-8 would've burnt me out personally

Putting a number on the amount of hours is difficult. I put in an average of 6-8 hours a day for about 2 months and honestly, I think quite a bit of that time was wasted/mismanaged. I studied so hard that when I took the test I was burnt out and couldn't use all that study time effectively. I had a very difficult time finishing each section and my conceptual understanding of a handful of the topics was not up to par. It has been said countless times but the value of studying intelligently is critical. Learn the concepts and apply them.. don't just read or make notecards all day like I did.

Congrats to everyone on their good scores by the way! For those who did not get what they wanted such as me.. take a breather, drink a beer, get out all the frustration in whatever way you prefer, and turn the aggravation into motivation. The journey begins again tomorrow.

I studied for 3 1/2 months, taking 2 weeks off during that period. I put in 4-6 hours a day. My study materials were Kaplan review books, and examkrackers 1001 questions. I also did 5 AAMC FL's and 5 Kaplan FL's.

I would say about 4-5 hours a day is sufficient, but in reality everyone is different. I know 6-8 would've burnt me out personally
thanks ARKR for that...seems to be the trend here...i need that insite...

Putting a number on the amount of hours is difficult. I put in an average of 6-8 hours a day for about 2 months and honestly, I think quite a bit of that time was wasted/mismanaged. I studied so hard that when I took the test I was burnt out and couldn't use all that study time effectively. I had a very difficult time finishing each section and my conceptual understanding of a handful of the topics was not up to par. It has been said countless times but the value of studying intelligently is critical. Learn the concepts and apply them.. don't just read or make notecards all day like I did.
thanks RC4L...words of wisdom...
love it when you guys help us out...

thanks to all

Congrats to everyone on their good scores by the way! For those who did not get what they wanted such as me.. take a breather, drink a beer, get out all the frustration in whatever way you prefer, and turn the aggravation into motivation. The journey begins again tomorrow.

Are you so sure about retaking a 3rd time? I'm sure you had a good month to lighten up a bit, but if you felt burnt out on 8/2 and still taking it again on 9/11......superstitions about that date aside (I'm from NYC)...... :eek:

Edit: just saw this

Looks like you know what went wrong, I guess. Hopefully you've been "learning concepts and applying them" since you took the 8/2!

It also really depends on your background and strength coming into studying. Someone who has their content very solid from the get-go will hardly find enough things to do for 6-8 hours a day for 2 months straight. i.e., there actually aren't enough things to do to sustain that much studying if you don't need content review and can jump straight into FLs... Whilst others who are shaky on content will need to read and do passages on isolated topics before even coming anywhere close to taking an FL.

Just a thought.

What was your average on Kaplan FL's? Similar to AAMC and/or 39?

It also really depends on your background and strength coming into studying. Someone who has their content very solid from the get-go will hardly find enough things to do for 6-8 hours a day for 2 months straight. i.e., there actually aren't enough things to do to sustain that much studying if you don't need content review and can jump straight into FLs... Whilst others who are shaky on content will need to read and do passages on isolated topics before even coming anywhere close to taking an FL.

Just a thought.
inycepoo...thanks much...

true on that content strength...am taking my last Orgo Class this semester and don't really want to mix that and work with mcat review...but i think i shud do some deep content build up...build that background strenght...

so thanks for all that

Are you so sure about retaking a 3rd time? I'm sure you had a good month to lighten up a bit, but if you felt burnt out on 8/2 and still taking it again on 9/11......superstitions about that date aside (I'm from NYC)...... :eek:

Edit: just saw this

Looks like you know what went wrong, I guess. Hopefully you've been "learning concepts and applying them" since you took the 8/2!

Well this will be my second retake on 9/11 and although I'm not superstitious, the thought has crossed my mind about the date haha. The two schools I am applying to are actually pretty lenient on retakes and are not the most difficult to get into to be honest(LSU-new Orleans and LSU-Shreveport). It is not uncommon for students who get accepted there to take the test 3 or 4 times so it is not a huge concern. I see SDNers speak of retakes so gravely and I'm guessing they are referring to more prestigious schools than what I am looking at. I have been lightly studying as well as taking practice exams since about two weeks post-mcat and I actually feel far more prepared conceptually and in my approach to the test. Hopefully it works out!

Just a thought.

True statement.

What was your average on Kaplan FL's? Similar to AAMC and/or 39?

My Kaplan were a little on the other side of my actual score. I averaged a 40.66 on the last three (41,42,39). I think if you take the average of my last 6 (AAMC and Kaplan) it would've worked out somewhere around my score.

Got a 30....I can finally sell my MCAT stuff and move forward...no foreign school for me