The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be doing my retake this time!

I've been trying to get done with the MCAT as early as possible but I always fell behind due to part laziness and part really weak content so I had to take the time out to teach myself many things like physics and a lot of biology. Also VR is a pain in the a$$. So I am taking my 1st Mcat for fun and experience, but Aug. 7 is going to be the real deal!

I'm hoping this is the last straw for me. I have went through much of the content almost twice. Still weak on a few topics, but my focus this time around is on PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE., then use my practicing to develop the content I am weak on. I will understand content deeper when I see it in question format to open my eyes to how it could be tested. Planning to use many Secondary FL's, Topical passages using various sources, and AAMCs. So I don't plan to do a SN2Ed schedule.

I plan to start May 1 and grind out gains everyday! No more hiding behind passive studying, no more laziness, and no more fear. Time to go ALL OUT and learn from my mistakes, rather than be afraid to make mistakes!

Let's see how it goes. I don't want to fall behind, so I'm commenting here to keep my self accountable :)

All it takes is serious motivation and dedication, and NOW it's time! Let's enjoy these next few days and get to it. Let's keep this thread alive when we all begin the journey, and keep each other informed, motivated, and up to date. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Checking in. I'll be using the Examkrackers books, starting around the second week in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Who is planning on applying this cycle? I am, I wanted to take the MCAT earlier so my app could get in earlier, but hopefully it wont be too late.

Hello!

Who is planning on applying this cycle? I am, I wanted to take the MCAT earlier so my app could get in earlier, but hopefully it wont be too late.

I had planned to apply this cycle originally, but no LORs + August MCAT = gap year for me.

Hey guys I'm taking this MCAT as well. I start my Sn2ed schedule this Saturday may 3rd. For those on that schedule, how much do you plan on studying daily?

P.S I'm on the same boat as @Wasted Energy. No LORs+late MCAT=gap year

Let's keep this thread active guys. The journey is beginning :)

After a long, hard, thought with some help from others, I decided it's best to stick to something similar to an SN2ED schedule after doing AAMC 3 as a diagnostic to see if I needed that intensity or a different pace. Definitely missing a lot of key content and application skills judging from my scores, so have no choice than to go at high intensity now for these 3 months. I really need a 32+. Going to be a long and draining ride.

I start officially Monday May 5, aiming for a day off every Sunday. I plan to probably give myself all day to study minus an hour work out, lunch break, and aiming to get 7-8 hrs of sleep. It's not set in stone, but depending on the topic of the day. I really want to have time to go in-depth on most content, but also as much practice as I get my hands on.

Hoping to modify schedule a bit as I don't think I want to use EK 1001 as a resource, maybe only for Bio. I have TBR and TPR so I am probably going to change EK 1001 for TPR science workbook. Unless Ek 1001 has a good reputation, but I just want tough practice. VR is a must everyday for me as it's going to challenge me :(Also hoping I find away to insert Practice FL's along the way to keep me in check.

Anyone doing something similar to this or just traditional SN2ED or something completely different?

Anyone doing something similar to this or just traditional SN2ED or something completely different?

That sounds pretty intense. I was able to get the EK books from 2007 for $50, so that's what I'll be using. I think I'll get started in a couple of weeks and I plan on putting in around 3hr/day 5 days/week.

Hope that'll be enough, although I have to say that your post has me feeling a little inadequate :rofl:.

I just don't have the time to devote all day to studying though, so oh well.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty intense. I was able to get the EK books from 2007 for $50, so that's what I'll be using. I think I'll get started in a couple of weeks and I plan on putting in around 3hr/day 5 days/week.

Hope that'll be enough, all though I have to say that your post has be feeling a little inadequate :rofl:.

I just don't have the time to devote all day to studying though, so oh well.

Haha, do you think so? Got me worried, I hope it's achievable within intent time, lol. I am going to have the odd day interpreted by my part time job, or a few activities, but hoping very little. Can't fall off my own schedule, or Ill be upset.
I was just shocked with my diagnostic and know if I need to pull a 32, there's going to be some sacrifices being made and long days. It's going to test my character too as I can think of ways many ways I could get distracted, especially over summer... Can't think about this lol. :whoa:

But ya, a good chunk of my day will be devoted to VR anyways. If you start off well on that section early on, then you're set for a nice ride and won't need to take that much time. Unfortunately, I have a long way to go.

What are you planning to do rougly in those 3hrs? When do you plan to do practice exams etc.?

Haha, do you think so? Got me worried, I hope it's achievable within intent time, lol. I am going to have the odd day interpreted by my part time job, or a few activities, but hoping very little. Can't fall off my own schedule, or Ill be upset.
I was just shocked with my diagnostic and know if I need to pull a 32, there's going to be some sacrifices being made and long days. It's going to test my character too as I can think of ways many ways I could get distracted, especially over summer... Can't think about this lol. :whoa:

But ya, a good chunk of my day will be devoted to VR anyways. If you start off well on that section early on, then you're set for a nice ride and won't need to take that much time. Unfortunately, I have a long way to go.

What are you planning to do rougly in those 3hrs? When do you plan to do practice exams etc.?

Going to be loosely following this schedule with some significant variations of of my own: http://www.examkrackers.com/MCAT/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx

I think I'll work 3 or 4 practice tests into the initial phase of my studying to track my progress, but I'm going to save most of them for the couple of weeks leading up to the exam.

Let's keep this thread active guys. The journey is beginning :)

After a long, hard, thought with some help from others, I decided it's best to stick to something similar to an SN2ED schedule after doing AAMC 3 as a diagnostic to see if I needed that intensity or a different pace. Definitely missing a lot of key content and application skills judging from my scores, so have no choice than to go at high intensity now for these 3 months. I really need a 32+. Going to be a long and draining ride.

How did you do on your diagnostic? I'm debating doing one myself but I can't decide whether or not it's worth the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Checking in, following the Sn2 schedule with TPR instead of TBR. I wanted to ask: Should I switch the TPRH Science workbook and instead do the TBR passage questions? Which would be better yield for time?

Also, physics is kicking my butt. Thankfully I have NOVA Physics to guide me along! :)

Hello everyone!
Originally planned on taking it june but a lot happened along the way so i had to change my date. Anyway lets keep this thread alive and keep each other going. I plan on sticking to practice passages as much as i can because this is the 3rd time trying to study for it and my mistake was focusing a lot on content review.

My inaugural post on SDN! :D I am working full-time this summer so I will (hopefully) be following a (very) modified SN2ED schedule with less emphasis on physics and orgo and more emphasis in bio, since those are my strengths/weaknesses, respectively. However, I will not be able to start studying until May 12th so this plan will be condensed.

Anyone else on the full-time work train?

Same here! Did you do the EK bio and BR passages yesterday? What did you think of those because they were extremely discouraging to me.

Agreed, the BR passages were remarkably tough. I'm going to supplement TPR Bio for additional content review, since EK wasn't sufficient preparation for the BR passages (at least for me).

How did you do on your diagnostic? I'm debating doing one myself but I can't decide whether or not it's worth the time.
Sorry forgot to reply to this.
I am not an expert on strategies and tactics regarding succeeding the MCAT. I learned the hard way that it just comes down to how hard you work. Either way, you are going to cover all the topics on the MCAT, but doing a diagnostic helps you see where you CANT go easy on yourself or have an "off" day or "let me just skip this today to catch up attitude" (speaking from experience). For example in the past I aim to do VR in the morning, but because I would take too long on the science content / practice the night before and stay up late and sometimes not done (some procrastinating etc.) I would say the next day I will do VR at night after I try to stay on schedule to finish this next chapter of science the next day. But that would take me too long and end up skipping on VR, then before you know it I skipped 3-4 days of VR and lose all progress I make, come back to it, get discouraged by my scores, say there is no hope, and get back to first base.
So what I am trying to say off my experience is - doing a diagnostic at first will tell you exactly where you can't mess around even if you felt like it. My VR diagnostic score was very low in Verbal. Now I know no matter how I feel, I need to do my VR every morning no matter what.
For me, constant repetition is key and that is why I needed to resort to sn2ed schedule and its intensity so I don't work hard 1 day and rest the next and lose progress and start forgetting stuff.
Hello everyone!
Originally planned on taking it june but a lot happened along the way so i had to change my date. Anyway lets keep this thread alive and keep each other going. I plan on sticking to practice passages as much as i can because this is the 3rd time trying to study for it and my mistake was focusing a lot on content review.
I feel like I can relate to this a lot! My reasoning is I never worked hard in the right direction. Now I am trying to work hard in the right direction so I have no other excuses, and hopefully this is when I start seeing results I want. For me practice is going to be key as well.
Checking in, following the Sn2 schedule with TPR instead of TBR. I wanted to ask: Should I switch the TPRH Science workbook and instead do the TBR passage questions? Which would be better yield for time?

Also, physics is kicking my butt. Thankfully I have NOVA Physics to guide me along! :)
On day 3 of a bit of a modified schedule for my liking and needs with my part-time work, and volunteering I am in. I am trying to do instead of having it mixed all over the place the review/content days, I will do the chapter content/passages in the first 4-5 days and the last 2-3 days of the week do the 2/3 of TBR and maybe squeeze in an FL once a couple weeks or so. Probably not going to use EK1001 for favor of TPR SW.

Lets get working guys and keep the thread alive! Share anything you think useful for all of us :)

Hello!

I really want to apply. But I'm going to start being realistic I guess and just apply next year.

i'm still contemplating applying this cycle, i mean i know people who took it this late and still got it. They did score in the 30+ range though. So if we can do it, i don't see why not. i do have to think about it. I figured i try my luck at a couple schools.

It really depends on my mcat score I guess. Idk what to do I'm still thinking about putting one throw away school on my app just so it can get verified and then see what happens. I'd have to write a PS, do committee interview while studying for mcat. And then pre-write secondaries after mcat.

I pretty much have all of my app materials together - PS, LOR's, and so on, but I'm still not sure :-/ I have people telling me I should just go for it and people saying to wait until next year since I'll have a "late" application. I was going to have my primary app sent in June that way I could already have everything verified too.

That's what i wanted to do too but i just really don't know which way to go but i think depending on my practice test scores, i might consider. Or just not apply to as many schools.

Hey guys, I am doing EK Bio for content + BR Bio Passages, and honestly what is going on lol..
BR Bio passages are relatively easy so far (or maybe im doing easy passages, and just comparing it to physics which killed me) but they are asking questions that weren't focused on EK Bio content, like the amino acids! Do we have to know the amino acid structures like seriously! 2 separate passages asked for structures for amino acids, isn't this overkill?

I pretty much have all of my app materials together - PS, LOR's, and so on, but I'm still not sure :-/ I have people telling me I should just go for it and people saying to wait until next year since I'll have a "late" application. I was going to have my primary app sent in June that way I could already have everything verified too.

I've heard both too. Most people on here tell me to wait since I have a great overall resume so id be doing myself a disservice to apply late...

So now I really don't know what to do. Especially if I blow the mcat, then it was all for nothing because I'm stuck having to apply next year.

Last edited:
I've heard both too. Most people on here tell me to wait since I have a great overall resume so id be doing myself a disservice to apply late...

So now I really don't know what to do. Especially if I blow the mcat, then it was all for nothing because I'm forever to apply next year.

I'm just going to go for it!! I'm applying to more D.O. schools compared to M.D. and they have a much longer timeline. So it wont be as late of an app for M.D. compared to D.O. If you have a specific school that you really want to go to then maybe it's a good idea to wait, but I have a few I'm really interested in.

I haven't explored the idea of DO as much. There's only a couple DO schools I've really looked into (PCOM isn't too far away). I just want to keep my options open.

Thought I'd share my study schedule. I know we are all doing content review and quizzes at different times but I was curious if anyone else has their 8 AAMC FLs planned out like I do? (second picture)

As you can see, I am hammering all the PS review early on because I know this is my weakness.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm basically just doing things as they come along. I'm not following the sn2ed schedule though. I'll plan out FLs once content review is done lol

I'm using TPR and EK for bio. I have all the TBR books though so I have extra passages to go with my science workbook if I need them.

Physics is my weakness so likewise, I have the EK 1001 for that.

It could be better. I'm having a very hard time with physics, so that's taking up a lot of precious time!
I know physics is the devil and i know that i will have a hard time doing it as well but we are all going to get through this.

I know physics is the devil and i know that i will have a hard time doing it as well but we are all going to get through this.

I hope so! Which books are you using? I'm using TBR, and I have a Nova physics book.

@R35 @3655 I'm using a bunch of resources for physics. Strict content review using TBR (their end of chapter questions are harder than any others). I do the ICE exams in EK Physics. I do questions out of EK 10001 Physics.

The more questions I do the better I become. Rereading through a chapter doesn't help at all... unless I flat out don't know something.

Started the ExamKracker's 10 week home-study schedule today. I'll update soon, good luck everybody.

I hope so! Which books are you using? I'm using TBR, and I have a Nova physics book.
I'm using Tbr and i hope to tackle their question more than anything else. I'm going in expecting not to do as well at first and to pay less attention to the percentage i get for now. I also have tprh workbook which i hope to use later on. I have all of kaplan stuff as well.
@R35 @3655 I'm using a bunch of resources for physics. Strict content review using TBR (their end of chapter questions are harder than any others). I do the ICE exams in EK Physics. I do questions out of EK 10001 Physics.

The more questions I do the better I become. Rereading through a chapter doesn't help at all... unless I flat out don't know something.

I'm also hoping that the more questions i do the better i get because that's where i hope to focus on. I didn't like the ek 1001 very much tho because i felt the answer explanations were very short and not helpful. So hopefully i can just focus on passage based questions for now until i get comfortable with everything.

Hello! I just signed up to slay this beast as well. I am a nontradItional student in that I graduated with my second Bachelor's degree back in 2012 and have been teaching science for the past two years. I began college back in 1999 and my gen chem dates back to that first semester, with Physics and O Chem not too far behind. My degrees are in Human Development and Family Science, as well as Microbiology.

I just took AAMC 3 as a diagnostic and scored a 9 in BS, a 9 in verbal and a terrifying 5 in PS. I am teaching full time and we will be out of school June 6th, so I'm studying as much as possible now and plan to basically live in a cave over the summer to be ready.

Prep wise, I'm working my way through the PR books and using the workbook to check understanding, at a chapter a day pace. This will leave me about a month and a half for the rest of the AAMC exams, practice exams from Kaplan, as well as EK 1001, BR practice items, etc. I will be applying this cycle if my score is 30+. Otherwise, I'm going through the University of North Texas masters in medical science, which I'll be highly competitive for, and try again next year.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my undying love for Chad's videos. Between TPRH and Chad, things actually make sense to me!

I'll be starting tomorrow guys. How's everyone's studying going?
I graduated ugrad last Friday first 4.0 of the collegiate career and started yesterday doing TPR content review. I took the on-site intensive class last summer, but did not find that I had enough time for out of class content review with school. This forced me to push back the exam two times in the past year, and really concentrate on boosting my GPA. So I am really looking forward to this summer of drenching myself with each subject a day at a time to annihilate this "bad boy" once and for all.

Study Tips are appreciated!
And
Best of Luck to everyone and keep me updated on the progress! Let's do this!

Aug 7, 2014 2PM CT!

It could be better. I'm having a very hard time with physics, so that's taking up a lot of precious time!
I feel like that subject is the most difficult for me as well. Verbal coming in as a close second or third along with GChem. Everything else is good.
But it's the math that I deceive myself into thinking is much harder than it really is. I feel like that is the first step is overcoming the fear of the finite math on this exam and then cranking out the understanding of the general topics of physics. Then Practice.... Practice..... Practice!

NOVA is nice for the practice.

You got this though! keep chopping at it and it's eventually going come down
Don't let up!

Is anyone else struggling as badly as I am with physics? I feel like I understand literally nothing. I'm using TPR. Is there something better?

Is anyone else struggling as badly as I am with physics? I feel like I understand literally nothing. I'm using TPR. Is there something better?
Do you have the online content with TPR or just the books.

Here's the ebook:
http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Physics-Book-Garrett-Biehle-ebook/dp/B009MOA1A4

1st things first with that TPR book you've gotta make sure you got that chapter 2 which is Houdini hidden in the back. If you don't do the math review you'll be dead in the water for the rest. The math will slap you in the face.

What I usually do is hit the book and get through a chapter. Then whether I understand or not go listen to the online "make up lectures" that guy on there is good, but can sometimes leave out things that won't be covered. But for the things he does master for you he'll ask questions and then you can pause and answer the questions if possible.

After the recordings are done for the section do the end of chapter passages and Free standing problems. I use those as open book time. Go find the answers and kind of commit to memorizing how the stuff is done.

Next NOVA - Find the section of Nova that is covered and try to do those problems as best you can without checking out the answer till the end.
Finally end of the study sesh you're prob worn TF out... take a break cause you're about to hit two (or one depending on how you feel) more sample passages covered from the subject. GO TIME. crank those out and then call it a night day or w/e you want to call it.

Schleep then wake up and repeat or change subject.

Anyone have any alternate methods with verbal? Or any tips on reading faster and accurately?

Well, fortunately math isn't really a problem for me at all.
My issue lies with concepts. I'll sit here and draw out a force diagram and have no idea what I'm looking at.
I have a list of equations and I don't know how to use them. That's my issue. I'm hopelessly confused.

And what recordings are you talking about?

I might have to invest in NOVA. I'm getting nowhere with this and wasting so much time on content review, especially for this.

Should I use Chad's videos to help? I'm really lost at what more I can do, because none of this is working. I am starting to freak a little bit.

Well, fortunately math isn't really a problem for me at all.
My issue lies with concepts. I'll sit here and draw out a force diagram and have no idea what I'm looking at.
I have a list of equations and I don't know how to use them. That's my issue. I'm hopelessly confused.

And what recordings are you talking about?

I might have to invest in NOVA. I'm getting nowhere with this and wasting so much time on content review, especially for this.

Should I use Chad's videos to help? I'm really lost at what more I can do, because none of this is working. I am starting to freak a little bit.
Oh I was talking about the video make up lessons that come with the online content from Princeton's class.
(If you have access to that it is under tools at the bottom of the screen ---> Make up lessons) They are extremely clutch because they give you a teacher that is going to tell you how to do the high yield problems so that you don't get hung and allow for more guidance.
If you don't have that I've (not personally done this b/c I have Princeton's online content) had many friends who have resorted to Khan or even YouTube to reteach them tedious parts of these books.
Good thing about Khan and YouTube is they are free... Which I've heard Chad's aren't
I like searching videos to master topics in classes that are tedious and haven't gone deep into the studying yet this summer (started yesterday). But When I get there and get stuck I will google methods.

And the NOVA book is good for practice material and tell you the best explanation for why the answers are what they are, but it's not good for the teaching of methods to solve the problem.
Reason it goes good with TPR is it supplements it, gives you further practice, and also different versions of problems that TPR has.

Ciestar,

Chad's videos MIGHT help, but have you considered sitting down with a tutor for an hour? I know I had NO idea how to solve those problems that you work with proportions on and I paid $40 for a medical student to sit with me and make it work. It clicked very quickly when he helped and it was $40 very well spent. Or, if you're still in school, ask your former physics TA for the same thing. Another idea for that specific problem is to go to a Barnes and Noble or other big bookstore nearby and work through a high school level book just on that one section. Online tutorials like http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/u2l2c.cfm or videos like Khan academy could help too. Good luck!

Thank you @cccc1914 ! I found those videos from TPR. I had no idea they existed.
I hope this helps. I may need to watch them for Chapters 1-4…