The Official Case Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine Class of 2017 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and welcome to the Official Case School of Dental Medicine thread.

Help for applicants
Admissions Handbook and Viewbook
Facebook page
Google+ page
Twitter feed, including lists of feeds
Recruitment calendar, so contact us if you want us to visit or do an online presentation
Last year's recruitment presentation (Windows browsers with Adobe Flash player)
Countdown to AADSAS 2013 webchat

If you are invited to interview, this presentation may help your interview preparation with us (Windows browsers with Adobe Flash player).

Not part of Case admissions:
The mmiqd project (medical school interview question a day in 2012)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just quick question. Is that fine to pay supplemental fee even before my actual e-submission of ADEA online application or do I have to pay after the submission?

Just quick question. Is that fine to pay supplemental fee even before my actual e-submission of ADEA online application or do I have to pay after the submission?

As long as you have your 2013 AADSAS ID number, you can pay our supplemental fee before you submit your AADSAS application and pay their fees.

I am trying to pay the secondary fee on Case website, and it says that the first six digits of my aadsas number should be 201303_____, but mine started with 201302. What do I do?

I am trying to pay the secondary fee on Case website, and it says that the first six digits of my aadsas number should be 201303_____, but mine started with 201302. What do I do?

I went ahead and entered my aadsas # that also started with 201302 and it went through just fine. I believe this is the reason the secondary payment didn't work on opening day of the cycle, but they addressed the issue since and the payment went through on my credit card despite the differences in the number.

I went ahead and entered my aadsas # that also started with 201302 and it went through just fine. I believe this is the reason the secondary payment didn't work on opening day of the cycle, but they addressed the issue since and the payment went through on my credit card despite the differences in the number.

That's correct... it's a typo on our page. We're making the changes.

We are making plans to participate in the ADEA GoDental Dental School Virtual Fair. We hope you have registered and perhaps have gotten a chance to go into the "exhibit hall" to select the schools you'd like more information on so that you can be better prepared for future applications or interviews.

This fair is open to all interested in dentistry from high school through current applicant. Parents, health professions advisors, professors, and the public (I suppose) are welcome to register and participate. There will be several presentations scheduled in the main "auditorium" between noon and 4pm ET on Tuesday and Wednesday that may be of interest to you. You may even customize a program guide for yourself.

Furthermore, all the information will remain available for 3 months after the live portion of the fair so you can encourage your colleagues, peers, advisors, and others to access this information later.

Our chat schedule where someone live will be available to answer your questions is 10am to noon ET and 5pm to 9pm ET each day. We will post our schedule of presenters soon.

2012 ADEA Dental School Virtual Fair
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
Booth #9

Live chat schedule
Tuesday, June 26
10:00 am to 12:00 pm ET Emil Chuck, PhD., Director of Admissions
5:00 pm to 6:00 pm ET Ben Schechter DDS, Director of Clinical Services and Chair of Admissions Committee with Dr. Chuck
6:00 pm to 9:00 pm ET Chat with students from classes of 2013 to 2015 with Dr. Chuck

Wednesday, June 27
10:00 am to 12:00 pm ET Brian Sherman, Assistant Director of Admissions
5:00 pm to 6:00 pm ET Phil Aftoora, Director of Student Services with Mr. Sherman
6:00 pm to 9:00 pm ET Chat with students from classes of 2013 to 2016 (incoming students!) with Mr. Sherman

When the fair opens, make sure you put us in your briefcase so you can access the brochures and videos we posted over the next 3 months. The videos we are posting will be DIFFERENT than the ones I linked at the start of this thread, which you should all still watch anyway if you want to be a serious candidate for our consideration.

More specific information for those interested in the student perspective, here is our schedule for the Dental School Virtual Fair. If you tweet, use #dsvf .

Tuesday
10am-12pm Emil Chuck
5pm-6pm Ben Schechter

Students:
6:00 Adam Kennedy '14
6:00 Emerson Milla '13
6:30 Reya Das '14
7:00 Youngdae Kim '13
7:30 Sarah Park '15
8:00 Janet Wong '15
8:30 Marie Vitullo '15

Wednesday
10am-12pm Brian Sherman
5pm-6pm Phil Aftoora

Students
6:00 Alan Baughman '14
7:00 Youngdae Kim '13
7:30 Van Nguyen '16
8:00 Adam Kennedy '14
8:30 Winnie Wong '16

Also note other sections of the Virtual Fair will include Chat Rooms where attendees can chat among themselves about specific topics, including international experiences, applying, and post-presentation follow-ups (from the auditorium area).

If you register as an attendee, take the time to go through the preview link/presentation sent to you so that you can be familiar with the interface when the fair opens.

Hi everyone,

If you were included in the first mailing and have not received a confirmation of receipt of application yet, don't worry. We are in the process of making sure our communications systems are running properly to inform you of receipt of your application and subsequent communications about your application to us. We are noting applications that are not yet complete and beginning to review those that are.

Members don't see this ad :)
(July 3) Save the date/time for a webchat on Saturday, July 28, at 2pm ET for those interested in Case, including AADSAS 2013 applicants.

The webchat is free but space is limited. If you would like to participate, reserve your spot here. Here's the link to the Facebook event but inclusion there is NOT registration.

Last edited:
Dear Director,

I am kind of confused about the application process. Does it matter if an applicant is in the first, second, or third batch in the summer? That is, do rolling admissions apply to applicants in June-Aug as well?

Do you happen to know if there's a general rule about that for all dental schools?

Thanks!

Dear Director,

I am kind of confused about the application process. Does it matter if an applicant is in the first, second, or third batch in the summer? That is, do rolling admissions apply to applicants in June-Aug as well?

Do you happen to know if there's a general rule about that for all dental schools?

Thanks!

Could you be more specific? In what way do you think it matters?

Am I correct to assume that my file will not be reviewed until my committee letter is finished and therefore won't be able to receive an interview invite until then?

Am I correct to assume that my file will not be reviewed until my committee letter is finished and therefore won't be able to receive an interview invite until then?

Yes, we have to review your completed file before we can issue an invitation to interview. As long as you keep us informed of when we should expect the institutional evaluation letter, you'll be okay. We really do like institutional evaluations, and we will try not to disadvantage anyone whose application is held up waiting for those letters to come in.

Could you be more specific? In what way do you think it matters?

I am sorry for the vagueness. I mean, in the summer do you process,evaluate, and invite the qualifying first batch applicants before the second batch applicants and so forth or no?

Thanks, I hope that helps

I am sorry for the vagueness. I mean, in the summer do you process,evaluate, and invite the qualifying first batch applicants before the second batch applicants and so forth or no?

Thanks, I hope that helps

It depends on when we get our computer systems working to do invitations. Of course, one can't help but process in chronological order of receipt. It is rolling admissions. Specifically, we review for invitations when we know your file is COMPLETE. So someone in the first mailing who is incomplete (no DAT, no letters) may be passed up for someone in the second mailing who has DAT and letters received. So the first step is to be sure the file is complete before we do a full file review to make you eligible for an interview.

Hi,

Have the "application complete" emails been sent out already? I was in the first batch and my application was complete and fee paid but I only received an email stating that my aadsas application had been received. Thank you so much!

Hi,

Have the "application complete" emails been sent out already? I was in the first batch and my application was complete and fee paid but I only received an email stating that my aadsas application had been received. Thank you so much!

Yeah, I would like to know that too. I e-mailed to check last week, but they said to wait.

We do our "application completes" on a rolling basis because our payment site is hosted at a different site, so we have to verify manually. It takes a little time to get all the information together. If you want verification, just send us an email note and we'll make sure we have everything.

There are times though that we cannot list the application as complete because we are missing letters of recommendation. Sometimes this includes the fact that if you are an applicant not using an institutional evaluation (committee or prehealth advisor), you have to have two science professor letters, and in these cases it takes a little time to verify if this condition has been satisfied. So you may have your fee paid and all your letters received, but if the two science letters are not there in a non-committee letter application, you may still be considered incomplete with your file.

I can say right now there are a few people that I think would be of interest for my pre-committtee "consider for interview" list, but they didn't submit their fee or have the requisite letters to make them eligible. It takes time to be sure we have everything, so if you think we have everything, just touch base by email.

Last edited:
Director,

What's the best e-mail address to contact CASE and check our application status? I e-mailed a week back and haven't gotten a response yet.

Thank you

We do our "application completes" on a rolling basis because our payment site is hosted at a different site, so we have to verify manually. It takes a little time to get all the information together. If you want verification, just send us an email note and we'll make sure we have everything.

There are times though that we cannot list the application as complete because we are missing letters of recommendation. Sometimes this includes the fact that if you are an applicant not using an institutional evaluation (committee or prehealth advisor), you have to have two science professor letters, and in these cases it takes a little time to verify if this condition has been satisfied. So you may have your fee paid and all your letters received, but if the two science letters are not there in a non-committee letter application, you may still be considered incomplete with your file.

I can say right now there are a few people that I think would be of interest for my pre-committtee "consider for interview" list, but they didn't submit their fee or have the requisite letters to make them eligible. It takes time to be sure we have everything, so if you think we have everything, just touch base by email.

Those people to 'consider for an interview' that may not have everything in yet (i.e. committee letter), will they be at the top of the pile when the final requirements come in?

Kudos for being on the ball Case! I'm impressed with the speed and efficiency you guys have when dealing with applications.

Kudos for being on the ball Case! I'm impressed with the speed and efficiency you guys have when dealing with applications.

Thank you! We're trying to make sure your level of anxiety (at least when it comes to our program) is at least at a manageable or justifiable level. We are doing online scheduling for the first time so that our office's level of anxiety is reasonably manageable too. :)

We are in the process of going through the second mailing. We should also be issuing invitations for interview soon. Interview dates should be available beginning mid-August.

Hello Director,

Does this mean that the committee is finished looking at the first mailing applications?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

I have the same question. If we were in the first batch and didn't receive an invite should we consider ourselves rejected or wait listed? And are international students given equal preference? Thank you so
much!

We're not done looking at the first batch since we can always go back and review. A lot of people in the early mailings don't have completed DAT's or haven't gotten all their letters received or haven't paid their application fee. Once we see this has been done, we'll go back in and review. On the other hand, we do have to keep the process going and review the files we have received. It does take a while to go through over 800 applications and sometimes we do want to look at them again. If you've ever been in an emergency room, it is the same principle as triaging.

Until we start sending out letters of rejection, you shouldn't read anything into this as a rejection. It's like waiting in line for your airplane flight. Just because your ticket isn't in boarding group 1 doesn't mean you won't take the flight. Granted, we want to try to tell you as soon as we can if you have a ticket.

Dear Director,

I'm sure you have been asked this a million times, but are there minimum scores that Case accepts for the DAT, like for each section of the test, or something like that? :)

Thank you!

Dr. Chuck,

When do you anticipate to send out your second invitations?

I'm very impressed with the level of interaction that Case has with their applicants. I do have one question though.I sent my application out in the first batch (without LOE or DAT) and got an email saying it was received. Then the next week my LOE and DAT scores got sent out, do you send another email verifying that you have received both the LOE and the DAT scores?

casedentalmed, my application was sent by AADSAS in the first batch and you should receive my last evaluation tomorrow in the third batch. However, I am still waiting for my DAT scores to be uploaded (taken june 27th). My question is, would it be beneficial for me to fax or email the unofficial scores ASAP?

Thanks

Dr. Chuck,

When do you anticipate to send out your second invitations?

It depends on when the earliest available date that is not full becomes after this first group. I'd like to give at least 3-4 weeks of planning time for those invited to interview, but we'll see if that wish can be sustained. We also are keeping an eye on how many invitations we are sending out so that we do not overextend before other schools' committee letters come in, or other DAT scores come in, etc.

Not a policy, but I prefer to give the full seven days to the first group we sent out. I can't say when we will send out a batch after that because I also want to be fair to everyone in mailing 2 (and 1) that we at least have checked if their applications are complete. But we do want to have a lot of our interview days booked up by the start of the cycle to keep my interviewers busy.

casedentalmed, my application was sent by AADSAS in the first batch and you should receive my last evaluation tomorrow in the third batch. However, I am still waiting for my DAT scores to be uploaded (taken june 27th). My question is, would it be beneficial for me to fax or email the unofficial scores ASAP?

Thanks

Go ahead and email me. I don't think the benefit is so significant at this point, but I can't say it won't hurt you. :)

I'm very impressed with the level of interaction that Case has with their applicants. I do have one question though.I sent my application out in the first batch (without LOE or DAT) and got an email saying it was received. Then the next week my LOE and DAT scores got sent out, do you send another email verifying that you have received both the LOE and the DAT scores?

In an ideal world we do. :)

Dear Director,

I'm sure you have been asked this a million times, but are there minimum scores that Case accepts for the DAT, like for each section of the test, or something like that? :)

Thank you!

I'll put it this way: the middle 50% of our admitted students have DAT scores ranging from 19 to 21 in AA and PAT. It won't take just your DAT scores to be rejected unless they really don't fit within range of what we usually see in our entering classes. That said, if you have lower, you probably have something to still grab our attention (in a positive sense) about your profile.

Dear Dr. Chuck/casedentalmed,
I am also very impressed at the efficiency of application review by Case. Very helpful! I have a question for you: I was in the second batch of mailings--yesterday i received an email from Case saying they got my application. I have submitted by app fee, DAT scores, and letters. Will I get a "complete" notification? I emailed back asking if my application was complete or not.

Thanks in advance!

I'll put it this way: the middle 50% of our admitted students have DAT scores ranging from 19 to 21 in AA and PAT. It won't take just your DAT scores to be rejected unless they really don't fit within range of what we usually see in our entering classes. That said, if you have lower, you probably have something to still grab our attention (in a positive sense) about your profile.

Thanks for your reply so quickly. How often do you see students with 2-3 years of dental experience working under an orthodontist as a lab tech/assistant? This would be my biggest attention grabber as well as my current undergraduate research with dental compounds. My current gpa is 3.7 and DAT scores are 17AA/17TS/18PAT/18Bio/15GC/17OC/22RC/15QR and I am retaking Sept. 8th. I havent taken gen chem since 4 years ago, so I had a hard time studying for it.

Would I still be considered?

It depends on when the earliest available date that is not full becomes after this first group. I'd like to give at least 3-4 weeks of planning time for those invited to interview, but we'll see if that wish can be sustained. We also are keeping an eye on how many invitations we are sending out so that we do not overextend before other schools' committee letters come in, or other DAT scores come in, etc.

Not a policy, but I prefer to give the full seven days to the first group we sent out. I can't say when we will send out a batch after that because I also want to be fair to everyone in mailing 2 (and 1) that we at least have checked if their applications are complete. But we do want to have a lot of our interview days booked up by the start of the cycle to keep my interviewers busy.

Thank you Dr. Chuck. So, I will be looking forward to your e-mail in 3-4 weeks. :)

I had another question: I wanted to update my professional experience list in my AADSAS application since I submitted it in early June. For example. my number of shadowing hours and other dental experience has increased dramatically. How can I update that with the school since we cannot make any changes to the AADSAS app right now?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.