***The Official Dental College of Georgia Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

UGAbulldogs

Reaction score
Forum for DCG at Augusta University applicants applying for the class of 2024. Good luck everyone!

Link to last year's thread: ***The Official Dental College of Georgia Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Link to interview prep: Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University Interview Feedback

*edited by the staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super excited. Will anyone be interviewing at the same time?

Interview #1
School:
Dental College of Georgia
Notification date: 07/10/2019
Method of notification: Email
Residency: GA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/08/2019
Application complete date: 06/20/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.75/3.76
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/22/22/none
Interview date: 08/15-16/2019

Reactions: 3 users

Interview #1
School:

congrats! they started way early compared to last year it seems.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! they started way early compared to last year it seems.
Thank you! And definitely. Last year's thread showed early August interview invites but the actual first interview dates have remained the same.

Interview #1
School:

Congrats! What time did you receive your invitation email? I received mine at 9:48 am on July 10th.

Last edited:
Congrats! What time did you receive your invitation email? I received mine at 9:48 am on July 10th but it contained some wrong info (it said entering class of 2019, not 2020 and wrong interview days) so I had to ask them to send me another email with corrections.
I received mine at 2:24 pm on July 10th. Congrats yourself! Will you be interviewing on Aug 15-16 also?

Last edited:
Thank you! I guess I was the very first person who received the email then. Yes I will be interviewing on Aug 15-16 as well. Looking forward to meeting you at the interview!

Ar
Thank you! I guess I was the very first person who received the email then. Yes I will be interviewing on Aug 15-16 as well. Looking forward to meeting you at the interview!
Are yall in state?

Congrats! What time did you receive your invitation email? I received mine at 9:48 am on July 10th but it contained some wrong info (it said entering class of 2019, not 2020 and wrong interview days) so I had to ask them to send me another email with corrections.
What are your stats?

Are you in-state?

Interview #3
School: Dental College of Georgia
Notification date: 7/16/2019
Residency: Florida
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/4
Application complete date: 6/20
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/23/none
Interview date: 8/30 (switched from 8/15-16)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard back from DCG? I am still waiting :-(
It's still pretty early in the cycle, there's only so many people they can interview and it looks like mid august is the 1st interviews. DCG historically has interviews until December 5th.

Received an interview invite yesterday! Will be interviewing Sept 15-16

Reactions: 3 users

Interview #1
School:
Hey! How was your interview?

When did the interview day end on the friday?

When did the interview day end on the friday?
You're done with all the interview actives around 3pm. Afterward they bring you down to observe D4 and/or D3 students. You can stay and observe however long you wish. The admissions tell you that observing of the students doesn't have an impact on whether you get in or not. Most people interviewing leave after ~30-45 minutes.

You're done with all the interview actives around 3pm. Afterward they bring you down to observe D4 and/or D3 students. You can stay and observe however long you wish. The admissions tell you that observing of the students doesn't have an impact on whether you get in or not. Most people interviewing leave after ~30-45 minutes.

Thanks! I appreciate this.

Im assuming you had an informal night, the night before. How were people dressed? Any tips that you wish you would have known before hand

Im assuming you had an informal night, the night before. How were people dressed? Any tips that you wish you would have known before hand

The night before you have an "informal night" where you have a more casual conversation with current students on the admission team. Dress code is probably business casual and nicer. I.E button up and slacks for men (wear socks even if you have loafers guys! They don't care if you came out of a Brooks Brothers Catalog) and the equivalent for that in women's clothing (pantsuit?). When in doubt, dress more conservative.

Tips:
The casual night is about an hour long and you meet in the same place you'll meet the next morning.
1. Be professional yet show genuine interest and personality. The admission students will ask the interviewers questions and you will want to reciprocate and ask the students a well thought out question. Don't be the center of attention and don't try to be quiet and statuesque, find the safe middle ground. Be humble.
2. If you are a social butterfly - tone it down a bit. You're in professional school and should act professional.
3. Don't walk in 50 minutes late into this (this happened and he immediately asked some questions that were previously discussed...not a ideal start for the guy.
4. At no point should you bring your cell phone out during this meeting or interview (unless of course there is a scenario where you need to have your phone out and at that point you should notify admissions about your situation).
5. Don't be scared to have some M&Ms.

Interview Day:
1. Obviously practice for interview questions beforehand and be prepared to answer the "why dentistry?" question. Don't sound like you've memorized your responses either.
2. Interviews are open file minus GPA and DAT score, if you have some red flag in your application, you might want to have reasoning for it. Having said that, if you got an interview than they most likely already think you can handle the academics and are seeing how personable you are. (the interviews are laid back and sometimes you just end up talking about sports, traffic, or anything not related to dentistry.
3. Have questions to ask for your interviewers. You can pull this out if there is a awkward pause in conversation or towards the end of the interview.
4. You will write an essay around lunch time - pretty much to see if you can think and put those thoughts into writing in a coherent manner that makes sense. (don't stress about this just make sure whatever you write has some sort of flow to it.
5. Remember your interviewers names and if they give you a business card, go ahead and email them a thank you. They like that, remember this school is a bit conservative.
6. If someone asks you if DCG is your back-up school... don't say it is. I feel like this doesn't need to be said but.... here we are.
7. Keep in mind you are a guest at the school and you're there to see the environment that you will potentially be in for the next 4+ years. Take a moment and take everything in. Relax and enjoy the day.
8. Lunch is catering and its pretty good.

That's pretty much a quick 5 minute write up. I should note that I've interviewed 3 times and have been wait listed. I have not been accepted here...Yet?
I also have not had an interview invite this cycle at DCG.
With that info and some of the above, its not difficult to narrow down who I am if you're on the admission team. Hi Mom!!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am happy to help. :)

Reactions: 2 users
The night before you have an "informal night" where you have a more casual conversation with current students on the admission team. Dress code is probably business casual and nicer. I.E button up and slacks for men (wear socks even if you have loafers guys! They don't care if you came out of a Brooks Brothers Catalog) and the equivalent for that in women's clothing (pantsuit?). When in doubt, dress more conservative.

Tips:
The casual night is about an hour long and you meet in the same place you'll meet the next morning.
1. Be professional yet show genuine interest and personality. The admission students will ask the interviewers questions and you will want to reciprocate and ask the students a well thought out question. Don't be the center of attention and don't try to be quiet and statuesque, find the safe middle ground. Be humble.
2. If you are a social butterfly - tone it down a bit. You're in professional school and should act professional.
3. Don't walk in 50 minutes late into this (this happened and he immediately asked some questions that were previously discussed...not a ideal start for the guy.
4. At no point should you bring your cell phone out during this meeting or interview (unless of course there is a scenario where you need to have your phone out and at that point you should notify admissions about your situation).
5. Don't be scared to have some M&Ms.

Interview Day:
1. Obviously practice for interview questions beforehand and be prepared to answer the "why dentistry?" question. Don't sound like you've memorized your responses either.
2. Interviews are open file minus GPA and DAT score, if you have some red flag in your application, you might want to have reasoning for it. Having said that, if you got an interview than they most likely already think you can handle the academics and are seeing how personable you are. (the interviews are laid back and sometimes you just end up talking about sports, traffic, or anything not related to dentistry.
3. Have questions to ask for your interviewers. You can pull this out if there is a awkward pause in conversation or towards the end of the interview.
4. You will write an essay around lunch time - pretty much to see if you can think and put those thoughts into writing in a coherent manner that makes sense. (don't stress about this just make sure whatever you write has some sort of flow to it.
5. Remember your interviewers names and if they give you a business card, go ahead and email them a thank you. They like that, remember this school is a bit conservative.
6. If someone asks you if DCG is your back-up school... don't say it is. I feel like this doesn't need to be said but.... here we are.
7. Keep in mind you are a guest at the school and you're there to see the environment that you will potentially be in for the next 4+ years. Take a moment and take everything in. Relax and enjoy the day.
8. Lunch is catering and its pretty good.

That's pretty much a quick 5 minute write up. I should note that I've interviewed 3 times and have been wait listed. I have not been accepted here...Yet?
I also have not had an interview invite this cycle at DCG.
With that info and some of the above, its not difficult to narrow down who I am if you're on the admission team. Hi Mom!!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am happy to help. :)

As far as the writing section, was there a prompt and if so, what was it (if you can answer that)?.. also, why do you think you were not accepted last cycle? Do you think something went wrong in the interview .. did you gain any feedback from the school last year on this?

As far as the writing section, was there a prompt and if so, what was it (if you can answer that)?.. also, why do you think you were not accepted last cycle? Do you think something went wrong in the interview .. did you gain any feedback from the school last year on this?

Hey JLHarrison,

I'd rather not say what specific prompts I have had. I will say the essay leaves room for you to give a personal response. An example (and I'm totally making this up) would be "give an example of hardship and define hardship". You have 1 page and ~30 minutes to write a response.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, a good amount of you guys and girls have been messaging me asking me this soooo I guess I'll answer it publicly. I'm not a traditional applicant.

Alright, I'll save everyone on the specifics. This is my 5th cycle applying to dental school. I received interviews at DCG my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cycle. I was wait-listed on my 3rd cycle. Yes, it hurt I didn't get in last cycle but I'm resilient or stubborn. Thus, I applied again because I have dreams, aspirations, and drive for self-improvement.

After each rejection I made appointments with Ms. Perry, Dr. Hanes (now retired), or Dr. Messer to discuss what I could do to be a better applicant for the following cycle. You should 100% do this too if you get rejected. Listen to their suggestions and do anything they want you to do.

As far as reasoning why I didn't get in last cycle, Ms. Perry told me admissions reasons why I didn't get accepted. It comes down to me not impressing enough at my interview. I have a low undergraduate GPA so I need to be perfect applicant everywhere else. My master's degree helps my GPA but it's not enough to climb out of the gigantic hole I put myself in.

Once you get an interview, the school thinks you can handle the academic load. In my last interview, I came off too confident and comfortable as it was my 3rd interview and I've known some of these administrators for 6 years. Yeah that's on me. I fully accept that. I didn't do poorly in my interviews, I just didn't give enough reason for my interviewers to advocate for me to be a student.

If you have an interview, remember that your interviewer is on your side and you need to give all the ammo you can so they can fight for your seat in the class. I believe I didn't supply enough ammo therefore I didn't get a spot.

Feel free to message me with any questions

Apologize for any mistakes - on mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey JLHarrison,

I'd rather not say what specific prompts I have had. I will say the essay leaves room for you to give a personal response. An example (and I'm totally making this up) would be "give an example of hardship and define hardship". You have 1 page and ~30 minutes to write a response.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, a good amount of you guys and girls have been messaging me asking me this soooo I guess I'll answer it publicly. I'm not a traditional applicant.

Alright, I'll save everyone on the specifics. This is my 5th cycle applying to dental school. I received interviews at DCG my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cycle. I was wait-listed on my 3rd cycle. Yes, it hurt I didn't get in last cycle but I'm resilient or stubborn. Thus, I applied again because I have dreams, aspirations, and drive for self-improvement.

After each rejection I made appointments with Ms. Perry, Dr. Hanes (now retired), or Dr. Messer to discuss what I could do to be a better applicant for the following cycle. You should 100% do this too if you get rejected. Listen to their suggestions and do anything they want you to do.

As far as reasoning why I didn't get in last cycle, Ms. Perry told me admissions reasons why I didn't get accepted. It comes down to me not impressing enough at my interview. I have a low undergraduate GPA so I need to be perfect applicant everywhere else. My master's degree helps my GPA but it's not enough to climb out of the gigantic hole I put myself in.

Once you get an interview, the school thinks you can handle the academic load. In my last interview, I came off too confident and confortable as it was my 3rd interview and I've known some of these administrators for 6 years. Yeah that's on me. I fully accept I'm immature at times and joke around too much. I didn't do poorly in my interviews, I just didn't give enough reason for my interviewers to advocate for me to be a student.

If you have an interview, remember that your interviewer is on your side and you need to give all the ammo you can so they can fight for your seat in the class. I believe I didn't supply enough ammo therefore I didn't get a spot.

Thank you for taking the time to write this and for your advice!

Hey JLHarrison,

Once you get an interview, the school thinks you can handle the academic load. In my last interview, I came off too confident and confortable as it was my 3rd interview and I've known some of these administrators for 6 years. Yeah that's on me. I fully accept I'm immature at times and joke around too much. I didn't do poorly in my interviews, I just didn't give enough reason for my interviewers to advocate for me to be a student.

THANK YOU for the info and sharing your story. I'm reapplying as well and didn't get an interview last cycle due to low DAT score via admissions advice. From your story, I can tell you are very dedicated and persistent in pursuing dentistry. Keep it up and you'll get it!

Just want to confirm, DCG at Augusta does NOT provide in-state tuition after the first year for out-of-state students. Correct?

Thanks.

Just want to confirm, DCG at Augusta does NOT provide in-state tuition after the first year for out-of-state students. Correct?

Thanks.
As far as I know (and i'm not 100%), DCG does NOT give in-state tuition after the first year for OOS students.

Interview #1
School: Dental College of Georgia
Notification date: 9/10/2019
Residency: Florida
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/28
Application complete date: 7/15
GPA (science, overall):
DAT (AA/TS/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/25/none
Interview date: 10/3-10/4

Anyone with the same interview date? Would love to discuss talking points and hotel accommodations.

Any other Georgia residents who have heard back from other schools but not Augusta? Feeling sad :/

1568809685200.png

So I was complete and ready for review 8/6. Do you think they wait to interview "maybes" after they receive all of the apps on Sep. 30th?

I hope so! I was complete and ready to review in mid July. I'm out-of-state and haven't heard anything.

FINALLY GOT THE INTERVIEW!!!!!! Invited today. Was ready for review 8/06!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get a thank you letter from Dr. Messer after interview?
looks like lest year they sent out thank you letters to students after the interview.

Did anyone get a thank you letter from Dr. Messer after interview?
looks like lest year they sent out thank you letters to students after the interview.
From what I understand, everyone who interviewed got a thank you letter. It may take a while but you'll get it.

Have any re-applicants received interview invites yet?

FINALLY GOT THE INTERVIEW!!!!!! Invited today. Was ready for review 8/06!
What is the day of your interview? Just curious cause I know they don't do post December interviews and was wondering if they have offered all interview spots yet.

Monday, October 28
Friday, November 1
Friday, November 8
Friday, November 15
Monday, November 18

These were the Dates offered

Reactions: 1 users
Monday, October 28
Friday, November 1
Friday, November 8
Friday, November 15
Monday, November 18

These were the Dates offered

Are they not offering invites to re-applicants this year? Lol

Are they not offering invites to re-applicants this year? Lol
They always offer re-applicants interviews assuming they are strong applicants (this is not including those who break the 3 attempt rule).

They always offer re-applicants interviews assuming they are strong applicants (this is not including those who break the 3 attempt rule).
what do you mean by the l”3 attempt rule” ?