The official EK Biology 1001 Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jryck3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your scores!! I've noticed that there IS an EK scores thread, but not one officially done for EK Bio 1001..

I am doing one section of Biology, then the 30 minute review test, then 1001 corresponding section all in one day.. Takes me about eight hours per chapter (phew!)

So here it goes so far:

Lecture 1:
68/113 - 60% - 8
Lecture 2:
72/108 - 67% - 9
Lecture 3:
60/111 - 54% - 7
Lecture 4:
76/113 - 67% - 9
Lecture 5:
78/111 - 70% - 9
Lecture 6:
87/111 - 78% - 11
Lecture 7:
83/114 - 73% - 10

I feel like my scores are slightly improving because I am getting used to the tricky question structures and am learning to rely on passages more and more... But still, seeing 7-9 range isn't what I'm looking for

Here is a "score conversion chart" I've very roughly interpolated from the EK Bio 30-minute In-Class Exams:

%: Score
100 - 15
95-100 - 14
89-95 - 13
83-89 - 12
77-83 - 11
71-77 - 10
65-71 - 9
58-65 - 8
53-58 - 7
47-53 - 6
42-47 - 5
34-42 - 4

Hope we can get this thread going somewhere:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
my ek bio book will be in tomorrow..freakin amazon took forever to "process" it..newho..glad you created this.. COMEON UPS!!!!

ok..my books finally came in today...just finished up with lecture 1 and took the 30 min in class lec..according to their scaled score chart i got a 10...whatever...i'll be taking the 1001 lecture one review test tomorrow morning and will post it then...but until then i thought this thing could use a bump...

DAMN....that was time consuming..but i learned a whole helluva lot...i began by doing two passages in 14 min and put my pen down for review...i kept this pattern through all 113 ?'s. I noticed that after 1-50 i got 24 wrong ...WTF:mad:...so i decided to change the way i was approaching things...instead of looking for the right answer off the bat, i started eliminating wrong answers and used intuitive/educated guesses for tricky question...This worked well...51-113 i averaged 45 correct..equates to 75% --10---. There is def a certain finesse you have to develop when taking this damn thing. Ill keep posting. Lecture two tomorrow. Any body else want to share how their learning? I sure could use any help i can get. trying to get to the 85%-90% right range. Good luck and reply:xf:
Lecture 1: 71/113---10

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was doing some of the 900's just now(population stuff) and picked one question when I saw the "correct" answer that jumped out at me.
"Yep! That's it! I know it and won't bother with the other questions. I know that that's the correct answer!"

It turned out to be the one just under it. I think it was one of those "most likely" or "best" answer types of questions.

Yeah, I was doing some of the 900's just now(population stuff) and picked one question when I saw the "correct" answer that jumped out at me.
"Yep! That's it! I know it and won't bother with the other questions. I know that that's the correct answer!"

It turned out to be the one just under it. I think it was one of those "most likely" or "best" answer types of questions.

thanks for the reply...you know i think all of us would love to be that guy/girl who has the uncanny ability to "know it all" and have a bullet proof arsenal of applicable knowledge. Everytime they step up to a question, no matter how freaking random, know the "right" answer immediately. I had gen chem years back with a girl like that...we could both lay eyes on new material and in a matter of seconds she had it processed and filed away in some sort of superhuman automatic recall system in her brain. I wanted to bitch slap her every test. We actually became good friends :laugh:. I had to come to grips with the fact that i'm not that kinda person. what i can control is when i quit!!! I know there are ppl out there that are 10 times smarter than me, and more power to them. I will out work this mcat!!!! i might not be the braniac superstar but i will find a weakness (some way that works for me) and slowly chip away at it until i'm hitting 13-14 range!! OK i'm done pounding on my chest..:D

Hey I just finished lectures 1 and 2, and I'm thinking these passages and questions are way too easy for the MCAT. What are your guy's thoughts? Is this good for simply content refreshing, or is it a legitimate way to practice?

Any body else want to share how their learning? I sure could use any help i can get. trying to get to the 85%-90% right range. Good luck and reply:xf:
Lecture 1: 71/113---10

Sure. Ok so here is my typical format for doing the questions:

I break it up into four "Phases"
EK bio is set up with 3 passages, then discrete questions (x3)
Time allowed for first three phases: 30 minutes

And then 2 passages, then discrete questions (x1)
Time allow for last phase: 22 minutes

That basically comes out to 8 min/passage and 6 min for the discrete questions, and I almost always finish with plenty of time to spare. After each "Phase", I review every answer and augment my lecture notes from the review book to stress important points as well as rewrite the harder concepts and high-yield facts on a separate "1001 Lecture # Notes" sheet for each lecture section. This is a great way to track the rough parts of your knowledge and serves as an easy reference point for my problem areas for future review. Also, using different colored highlighters and highlighting the "high yield facts" with a particular color and using other like colors to link same ideas works well to connect ideas. But, to each his own - what works for someone does not necessarily mean it will work for someone else.

All in all, I get one page front to back for the "1001 lecture (#) notes" for each lecture and now have 32 pages of handwritten notes from the bio lecture series book through chapter 6. For me, the best way to learn is to write your own notes! Good luck! Keep posting scores. I'll continue to update my first post with new scores so it is easier to see all the scores together :thumbup:

Last edited:
Also made a quick 1001 spreadsheet for answers as well as an answer sheet for the 30-minute in class lectures. I'm not writing in the books so they have good resale value.. also, we can't write on them in the test anyways, so might as well get used to it!:cool:

Attachments

• 1001MCAT.xlsx
    56.2 KB · Views: 311
  • MCATBioInclass.xlsx
    47.1 KB · Views: 239
Woohoo! My first double digit score. Lecture 6 - 87/111 - 78% - 11

A quick note though - #647 is AWFUL wording. This is the first question I have come across so far which was horribly written. There have been a few questionable things, but not nearly enough for me to discredit the book, as all books have some degree of errors.

Side note: This is the first answer explanation I have come across throughout the entire book so far that has been unacceptable. I would throw this question out. In fact, I have access to the errata forum on EK because I paid, and IMO it is "worth" $12.99 because I saved a crap ton of money by not taking a course, however, I was disappointed that The entire EK 1001 Bio section has no corrected errata on it! The only good thing is you can post questions on their forum and their mods are very helpful and quick with getting back with answers, so I guess it is worth it... The moderator on the EK forum admits he is not a fan of this question, so throw it out!

Ok..i'm back..ive had my face in chemistry for a few days and returned to the bio..NEWAY...i realize these are rough at best approximations of how we are doing but I'm getting smoked in CH 4...i've got maybe 50 ?'s left to redeem myself but man I'm getting the sh-- kicked out of me so far...i mean, the freakin detail is deep!!!!...WTF...are the real MCAT question also so set up to where you have to understand all of the little things independent of a passage...I'm doing fine with the passages bc I'm able to pull stuff out of them but damn, the freakin discrete are cutting my nuts off....NEWAY trying to figure out if i should pull out an old KAPLAN book to nail down the details bc I'm tired of missing...NE thoughts would be appreciated
-one pissed off underdog:mad:

Hi All,

I'm joining you guys in posting Bio 1001 scores :)

Lecture 1:
85/113 - 75.2% ~ 10

Lecture 2:
79/108 - 73% ~10

Lecture 3:
74/111 - 67% ~9 (Boo! I guess Micro & D. Bac didn't quite have the desired effects :-\)

Lecture 4:
84/113 - 74% ~10.

Looking fwd. to posting my stats for lectures 5+6 late next week when I hope to be done with them.

Just curious: anyone on this thread amenable to discussing questions/concerns about stuff we don't understand? I still have some review to do, but I figured since this is such a specific/dedicated thread, I'd ask :)

Slight thread hijack, but I just got the EK Bio book (not 1001 Bio), and did the In-class exam for Lecture 1, and was wondering if you guys thought the In-class exams were a good predictor of MCAT passages.

Is it worth it to get the 1001 book for more authenticity, or is it just another source of practice in general?

Slight thread hijack, but I just got the EK Bio book (not 1001 Bio), and did the In-class exam for Lecture 1, and was wondering if you guys thought the In-class exams were a good predictor of MCAT passages.

Is it worth it to get the 1001 book for more authenticity, or is it just another source of practice in general?
If you can you really need to grab the 1oo1 book...it takes a lot of time but man...the concepts get drilled bc it comes at ya from so many different angles...30 min exam is decent but once you get the other you will see the dif.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I'm joining you guys in posting Bio 1001 scores :)

Lecture 1:
85/113 - 75.2% ~ 10

Lecture 2:
79/108 - 73% ~10

Lecture 3:
74/111 - 67% ~9 (Boo! I guess Micro & D. Bac didn't quite have the desired effects :-\)

Lecture 4:
84/113 - 74% ~10.

Looking fwd. to posting my stats for lectures 5+6 late next week when I hope to be done with them.

Just curious: anyone on this thread amenable to discussing questions/concerns about stuff we don't understand? I still have some review to do, but I figured since this is such a specific/dedicated thread, I'd ask :)
Would def be willing to help/share thoughts pertaining to this stuff...Just PM me or we can figure out how to do this via another thread so this one can stay on topic :)

Would def be willing to help/share thoughts pertaining to this stuff...Just PM me or we can figure out how to do this via another thread so this one can stay on topic :)

Thank you so much for responding! I will PM you once I have my Q's in order :)

You all are getting pretty good scores on these passages.
I, on the other hand, got a bunch wrong in the first 3 passages of lecture 1.... got about 12 out of 30 correct (NOT GOOD!) and I gave myself 30 minutes.

Any advice? Does this mean I don't understand Lecture 1 yet? Or is it my reading comprehension? Or both? What should I do?

You all are getting pretty good scores on these passages.
I, on the other hand, got a bunch wrong in the first 3 passages of lecture 1.... got about 12 out of 30 correct (NOT GOOD!) and I gave myself 30 minutes.

Any advice? Does this mean I don't understand Lecture 1 yet? Or is it my reading comprehension? Or both? What should I do?

Mannnn I'm in the same boat. Just did the first 57 and got 14/30 on the first part and 12/27 on the second...WTF? It seems mostly like it's material that I just don't have enough background information on more than anything. I am kind of freaking out. I did extremely well on the in-class 30 minute exam (12) and I did well in similar TPR passages, but for some reason this is going horrendous. I studied this material a good 2-3 weeks ago and I do not know if it is due to this that I am not doing as well...which is a bad sign either way because I'll have to know it in August...FML :scared:

EDIT: I just did the third part and got 13/28 wow this is the stuff I should be good at too considering I just got an A in an upper level Biochemistry course...I really do have to change my approach or something

Last edited:
Mannnn I'm in the same boat. Just did the first 57 and got 14/30 on the first part and 12/27 on the second...WTF? It seems mostly like it's material that I just don't have enough background information on more than anything. I am kind of freaking out. I did extremely well on the in-class 30 minute exam (12) and I did well in similar TPR passages, but for some reason this is going horrendous. I studied this material a good 2-3 weeks ago and I do not know if it is due to this that I am not doing as well...which is a bad sign either way because I'll have to know it in August...FML :scared:
Hey guys...i wouldn't worry ab it too much...just change your approach...Thes questions are often answered with info in the passage...reley heavily on it and you should be able to fish it out...sure there are some random discrete blocked in with passage questions but use the process of elimination and that should set you up just fine...theres finesse when you take this test...you gotta get good at it...Good luck and keep punching away at it...I'm on Ch5 and will finish tonight...let ya know what i get afterwards...GL

Alright, well I just finished my first one. Is everybody using the first edition or do some of you have the newer one? Well anyway, on the in-class 30 minute exam I scored a 19/23 or 12 and on the 1001 series I scored 55/113 equivalent to a 6! Woooow...I mean I know I did this material like beginning of the month...but still. I will be reviewing all of the problems and trying to learn as much as possible from it. I will also be trying to come up with some sort of new strategy to approach these problems, because currently it seems like they are damn near impossible (to me). If any of you have suggestions, lemme know. Thanks! :thumbup:

EDIT: I guess I'm using the 2006 edition...is this the newest? thanks

Last edited:
Hey chem- i too have the 2006 edition. I haven't had a bio class since 2004 so I'm starting fresh also... I posted in an earlier thread about my first experience with this BK1001 thing...i was missing 50% too.. It sucked....so i changed (sounds like thats what your doing) instead of looking for the right one start figuring out why everything else is wrong...that helps me out big time...i slowed way down bc i was finishing a passage and ?'s in 3.5-4 min..HA HA.. now i just chill and read it. When i get to a question i'm like boom: key words, what are they asking, this is why A and D are wrong and the passage kinda makes since of B and C is a WTF so B...and i usually get em right...I just finished chapter 5 and finally hit my target of 85-90 percent correct....side note: the explanations are much better than the bio book in my opinion bc they are tying everything together and correlating concepts in applicable terms instead of shotgun data! Good luck

Alright, well I just finished my first one. Is everybody using the first edition or do some of you have the newer one? Well anyway, on the in-class 30 minute exam I scored a 19/23 or 12 and on the 1001 series I scored 55/113 equivalent to a 6! Woooow...I mean I know I did this material like beginning of the month...but still. I will be reviewing all of the problems and trying to learn as much as possible from it. I will also be trying to come up with some sort of new strategy to approach these problems, because currently it seems like they are damn near impossible (to me). If any of you have suggestions, lemme know. Thanks! :thumbup:

EDIT: I guess I'm using the 2006 edition...is this the newest? thanks

Ha yea, I get only 9s on my 30-minutes, never got a 10 yet... so I'll let you know how the rest of my Lecture 1001 go... Hopefully better. On a brighter note, people typically say that these EK stuff is harder than the real mcat.... and adding 1 or 2 to these scores is more of a better resprentation of what the MCAT scores would look like.. but that's just what I read though :)

EDIT: Just did my second part of Lecture 1.... 11/27... similar to yours.

Is it me or do you guys also become confused while reading those passages?? I do not know how a majority of those questions pertain to Lecture 1 of the biology content book.

Last edited:
Hey! Just started re-studying for the MCAT...took it last year and looking to improve my score! For the ek 1001 bio questions, how long are you guys giving yourself to finish them? For ex, are you giving yourself x min for lecture 1 or x min per passage...that sort of thing? Thanks a bunch! I will surely be posting my scores here and hopefully will be seeing the results you all are! GL! :luck:

Hey! Just started re-studying for the MCAT...took it last year and looking to improve my score! For the ek 1001 bio questions, how long are you guys giving yourself to finish them? For ex, are you giving yourself x min for lecture 1 or x min per passage...that sort of thing? Thanks a bunch! I will surely be posting my scores here and hopefully will be seeing the results you all are! GL! :luck:
I dont know the break down but i try and keep each passage set around <7. This seems to work for me. I typically finish in around 6-7 min which i think is good enough for the real thing. The discretes i read and make a descions within 30 seconds. I have learned to not try and "over/out think" these questions and i get more correct...GL

I give myself 1.35 minutes per question. So for Lecture 1, it has 113 questions total.

113 questions x 1.35 minutes = 152 minutes, which also includes reading the passage (I usually round down to 150 or something).

If you look in the Verbal intorduction, EK says that we have 1.35 minutes per question for the physical and biological section on the real MCAT.

Last edited:
Section 3: 74/111 67% - 9
Section 4: 88/113 78% - 11

I have the answers to section 1 and 2 in a different notebook and I don't know where it is. I'll post 5 & 6 soon, hopefully they're similar or better!

Anyone freaking out about scores early on - I was in the same position. EK 1001 Bio quizzes on stuff they do not teach until later lectures. This frustrated the HELL out of me early on. Once I understood that there were just some things I wouldn't have a chance at, it was less frustrating. You just have to look at those questions as more lecture material to review when you review your answers. I just finished chapter 6, and my scores are rather decent now. As you progress through the book and have a larger percentage of the material covered, you should do better.

Okay...1001 #2 officially done! (wooh) I got a 71/108 (9, barely), much better than the first one. I do feel like there are plenty of questions that are just beyond what have gone over in the book so far because I found myself pulling my personal info from a microbiology class I had taken into some of these passages. I am not upset with my score and I'm sure the next few will only get better! Practice, practice, practice...

I'm joining the thread a bit late, but I hope it will be a good motivator for me, since my studying has been very spotty.

Lecture 1: 90/113 = 79.6% = 11
Lecture 2: 91/108 = 84% = 12

Loveoforganic, I still get incredibly frustrated when faced with questions that ask about later material. Actually, there are a lot of things about these passages that frustrate me. When I read over the answers I got wrong, the reasoning makes sense, but the original questions/answers themselves still seem sketchy.

On another thread I was reading, a lot of people were saying that the in-class 30 min exams were harder than the 101 passages, but I have the complete opposite experience.

So I've gone through all the lectures, and am planning on doing a quick 10-20 minute review before I do these problems.

Lecture 1 Passages - 96/113 - ~85%
Lecture 2 Passages - 86/108 - ~80%

There are some questions that pertain to the passages that are completely irrelevant. I just read over the Pentose Phosphate Pathway passage and one of its questions was like "which of the following can re-route perfusion of blood through capillaries". WTH?

Last edited:
To the recent mcat takers, how much of a predictor are the 1001 q's for bio to the real deal. thanks

I'm joining the thread a bit late, but I hope it will be a good motivator for me, since my studying has been very spotty.

Lecture 1: 90/113 = 79.6% = 11
Lecture 2: 91/108 = 84% = 12

Loveoforganic, I still get incredibly frustrated when faced with questions that ask about later material. Actually, there are a lot of things about these passages that frustrate me. When I read over the answers I got wrong, the reasoning makes sense, but the original questions/answers themselves still seem sketchy.

On another thread I was reading, a lot of people were saying that the in-class 30 min exams were harder than the 101 passages, but I have the complete opposite experience.

That's my general experience too.

There are some pretty tricky questions on here; almost feels like a verbal exam at times with the level of reading comprehension they require. The discretes were pretty easy on the first section though.

Just took the first section,

Section 1: 84/113 (~74%) - 10

There are some pretty tricky questions on here; almost feels like a verbal exam at times with the level of reading comprehension they require. The discretes were pretty easy on the first section though.

Just took the first section,

Section 1: 84/113 (~74%) - 10

Section 2: 11
Section 3: 9 (ouch!)
Section 4: 12

Last edited:
Joining in late, but was motivated to do EK 1001 after reading these posts.

Section 1: 11
Section 2: 11
Section 3: 10
Section 4: 11
Section 5: 10
Section 6: 12
Section 7: 10

I found some of the questions poorly worded and a few of the explanations didn't justify the answers. Overall it was really good practice and it really helped me highlight certain topics I was unsure about.

I was wondering if anyone saw any improvement on their practice tests especially the AAMC's and did anyone see a strong correlation between these scores and your practice tests?

I dont know the break down but i try and keep each passage set around <7. This seems to work for me. I typically finish in around 6-7 min which i think is good enough for the real thing. The discretes i read and make a descions within 30 seconds. I have learned to not try and "over/out think" these questions and i get more correct...GL

I agree on the overthinking part. I know bio too well and constantly over think and end up in a battle royal with Dr. Johnson on the website. That mother is going down!:mad:

I realize that extrapolating from ek 1001 is silly, but since I've been keeping track of my performance, as motivation, I thought I might as well contribute to the data set.
here are my scores to date:
Lecture 1: 99/113 =87.6%=12
Lecture 2: 97/108 = 89.8% = 13
Lecture 3: 87/111=78%=11
Lecture 4: 98/113=86.7%=12
Lecture 5: 96/111=86%=12
Lecture 6: 89/111=80%=11

My performance on these, excepting, lecture 3, has been surprisingly consistent. I'm a bit worried about the lack of improvement. I think my biggest mistakes stem from misinterpreting what the question stem is really asking for and missing small details in the passage. Hopefully, as I master these skills I can push my performance to the next level. I have noticed though that I complete the passages/questions much more quickly.

I can't stop making stupid mistakes :(

Last edited:
my score range from 7 to 11, avg is 9...with the lowest score at the beginning (didnt know what to do) and the end (rly hard passages)
I got 10 on the real thing

I am a 30-minute classroom tests made &#8203;&#8203;19/23 or 12 and 1001 series, I made &#8203;&#8203;a 55/113 equivalent of 6! Woooow ... ... I mean, I know I do like the material earlier this month, ... but still. I will review all the issues, and try as much as possible to learn from it.

Lecture 1 :

6mins/passage
78/113 = 69% ~ 9

meh ! I think I should take more time ... this is terrible

Pisiform why are you doing 6 min./passage? The EK Verbal and Math book recommends 1.35 min./question (for the science sections). If you are in the 13-15 range, that time frame might be fine, but I don't think you should use that to start off with. That said, I started out at about 7-9 min. per passage (for the first couple lectures-1-3ish) and now I'm usually in the 5-7 min./passage range and my score has remained consistent. I would recommend not focusing on 6min./passage until you're hitting close to your desired accuracy level.

Pisiform why are you doing 6 min./passage? The EK Verbal and Math book recommends 1.35 min./question (for the science sections). If you are in the 13-15 range, that time frame might be fine, but I don't think you should use that to start off with. That said, I started out at about 7-9 min. per passage (for the first couple lectures-1-3ish) and now I'm usually in the 5-7 min./passage range and my score has remained consistent. I would recommend not focusing on 6min./passage until you're hitting close to your desired accuracy level.

Yea I agree ! `But the thing is that I am not rushing myself or anything... I just note down the start time and finish time and its just 6mins. Most of the questions that I got wrong from Lecture 1 is basically because I did not study my content from EK book which had a lot of primary, secondary, tertiary etc and background information which other books don't talk about.

Well, however, I might slow down deliberately to see if that helps ...

UPDATE:
Lecture 7: 84/114 = 74% = 10 :( Wow. I'm getting worse with practice?:thumbdown:
To be fair, Idk, I just found this section to be much trickier. Many questions dealt with things not covered in the EK book, thus requiring much more POE than usual. A couple of dumb word tricks as well. Mark my words. I will come back with a fiery vengeance for lecture 8 and Lecture 9.

Last edited:
I just looked over my notes from summer. I consistently got between 12 and 18 wrong and about 95 correct on each section. I think I learned a lot from doing the EK1001 series.

My EK1001 performance translates into BS=12. My AAMC practice tests averaged BS=14.

I think EK1001 is a good review of biology topics, but I don't think you should put too much faith into its MCAT BS score prediction capabilities. Use AAMC tests for that. Have confidence that completing EK1001 bio will improve your score.

MTHeaded your score on the real test is...:wow: I don't even know what I would do if I scored that high on test day. Anyway, I definitely feel like I have learned alot from EK, especially about how important the question stems are for answering questions. I know I should wait until aamc for score prediction, but it's so hard...:laugh:....so this helps keep me motivated until then. Thanks for reminding me to keep things in perspective though :thumbup:.

Any chance you know how long you were taking on the EK 1001 passages? I feel like my pace is ok: 5-9 min./passage but just want to make sure I'm not going too slowly.

Lecture 7: 84/114 = 74% = 10

UPDATE
Lecture 8: 83/107 ~ 78% =11
wow. so my epic comeback was....... not so epic. lol.
on the bright side, I seem to have eliminated the majority of my question stem misinterpretation errors. I found that in this section I made more passage related errors: using information in the passage out of context, failing to synthesize passage info with my knowledge to answer the question etc., and as always a couple of downright "dumb" mistakes (i.e. knowing how to get answer the question, but moving too quickly and picking increase instead of decrease...stupid osteoclast and osteoblasts :laugh:

1 more lecture! then onto EK 30 minute Bio exams and TBR bio and chem!

Last edited:
Guys, having taken the MCAT 3 times I can tell you the BS section is nothing like this book. If you are using this book use it only to nail done facts (which most likely Won't' be on the test)... From the tests that I took, it would be much better practice reading actual journal abstracts and trying to understand them. The BS section is so much reading comprehension not factual recall.

This is in fact true. I used to score about 12-13 on those practice tests and ended up with a 10 since it was mostly passage based with reallllyyyy long passages :(