*** The Official Harvard School of Dental Medicine Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

HarvardStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, we're starting up the HSDM thread for this cycle! Here's a link to the one from last year: *** The Official Harvard Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***.

Myself and some other current students are going to be hanging out in this thread, so feel free to ask any questions about the school or anything else! Good luck with the application cycle everyone!

Link to interview prep: Harvard School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by the staff to include link to interview prep

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
So Harvard requires
  • Three individual letters of recommnedation from faculty members, two of which must be from science professors
Do you know if they allow applicants to send the third letter of recommendation from science professor directly to them? (I was planning to submit 2 science letters, 1 letter from career counselor, and 1 letter from dentist)

So Harvard requires
  • Three individual letters of recommnedation from faculty members, two of which must be from science professors
Do you know if they allow applicants to send the third letter of recommendation from science professor directly to them? (I was planning to submit 2 science letters, 1 letter from career counselor, and 1 letter from dentist)

If you send it to the admissions director directly via mail or email, then they'll get it. Also feel free to email admissions to get a confirmation on that and for any other questions, they're very responsive!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Just submitted my primary app. Incredibly excited to be done with that part of the process. It honestly feels more cathartic than finishing my DAT.

My understanding of what's required now is:
  • $80 fee - instructions for submission will be emailed
  • If selected for interview
    • supplemental questionnaire
    • 2x2 passport photo
If I'm forgetting anything feel free to point it out.

Question: The admissions website says we will notified by phone if invited to interview. Is this always going to be the same number (of the admissions office), or should we look out for any Boston area code? I ask because I get a lot of spam calls and so I set my phone not to ring unless expecting a call from someone.

Edit: By the way, sincere thanks to HarvardStudent for taking the time to start this thread.

Hi everyone!

Just submitted my primary app. Incredibly excited to be done with that part of the process. It honestly feels more cathartic than finishing my DAT.

My understanding of what's required now is:
  • $80 fee - instructions for submission will be emailed
  • If selected for interview
    • supplemental questionnaire
    • 2x2 passport photo
If I'm forgetting anything feel free to point it out.

Question: The admissions website says we will notified by phone if invited to interview. Is this always going to be the same number (of the admissions office), or should we look out for any Boston area code? I ask because I get a lot of spam calls and so I set my phone not to ring unless expecting a call from someone.

Edit: By the way, sincere thanks to HarvardStudent for taking the time to start this thread.
Congrats on getting your primary in, it's definitely a milestone! I'm not completely sure about the specific number, but I remember getting a call from a Boston area code.

When does HSDM start sending secondary applications and interview invitations? Also, does HSDM take Summer 2019 and Fall 2019 grades into consideration as well?

When does HSDM start sending secondary applications and interview invitations? Also, does HSDM take Summer 2019 and Fall 2019 grades into consideration as well?
It's pretty variable, since admissions reads every single application in full (they don't have cutoffs to weed out) it might take a while. I know this year they're trying to be a bit faster than in the past in order to offer earlier interviews. I think you get the secondary when you get your interview offer.

It's pretty variable, since admissions reads every single application in full (they don't have cutoffs to weed out) it might take a while. I know this year they're trying to be a bit faster than in the past in order to offer earlier interviews. I think you get the secondary when you get your interview offer.
Thank you!

Thanks to @HarvardStudent for starting this thread! I'm just wondering what is the interview type HSDM uses? (1 on 1, MMI, etc.)

Thanks to @HarvardStudent for starting this thread! I'm just wondering what is the interview type HSDM uses? (1 on 1, MMI, etc.)
Hey hh2498, no problem! HSDM interview are 1:1, and there are two of them. It depends on who interviews you, but in general they are very conversational and relaxed (most conversational that we experienced out of any school) and have no set time. Our interviews ranged 30 minuted to an hour.

Reactions: 2 users
Just noticed on AADSAS that my app changed from complete to under review!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten the application complete email? I got app received three weeks ago but still haven’t gotten app complete

Has anyone gotten the application complete email? I got app received three weeks ago but still haven’t gotten app complete
When did you get verified? From what i understand, Harvard is a small office, so it may take a little longer especially now since they are receiving more apps. I would give it another 2 weeks. I think it took ~3.5 weeks for me to receive the complete email

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get verified? From what i understand, Harvard is a small office, so it may take a little longer especially now since they are receiving more apps. I would give it another 2 weeks. I think it took ~3.5 weeks for me to receive the complete email

I got verified on July 12th, got the app recieved email on the 16th, but status has been under review for quite some time. Guess I'll give it a couple more days then...

I got verified on July 12th, got the app recieved email on the 16th, but status has been under review for quite some time. Guess I'll give it a couple more days then...
Ya i wouldnt worry yet!

So I submitted my primary 2 weeks ago (7/27) and they havn't yet contacted me asking for the supplemental fee, and my AADSAS status has been "verified" with a decision status of "none". How long did it take for you guys to get an email request for the fee after verification? Thank you in advance.

So I submitted my primary 2 weeks ago (7/27) and they havn't yet contacted me asking for the supplemental fee, and my AADSAS status has been "verified" with a decision status of "none". How long did it take for you guys to get an email request for the fee after verification? Thank you in advance.
EDITED: Sorry I misread the question... I got the email for the fee the day after I submitted my application, but I submitted it in June...

When I applied 2 years ago(in July), it took them 2 weeks to request the supplemental fee, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, I wouldn't really read too much into the application status as long as you get in everything you need to get in (primary + sup fee). I remember not hearing anything from HSDM until November they offered me an interview for later that month. This is a small school with a limited but well organized admission office, so just be patient.

Yes! Are the interviews like general conversations - just to get a feel for you as a person - or more direct like why did you do this activity

Yes! Are the interviews like general conversations - just to get a feel for you as a person - or more direct like why did you do this activity
Depends a bit on who is interviewing you but they were more on the "getting a feel for you as a person" side for me.

Just received my application complete email from Harvard! I submitted everything, including the supplemental fee, by July 19. Very excited to see what happens from here on out!

Reactions: 3 users
Same.
Is this an email received by all applicants?

Just received my application complete email from Harvard! I submitted everything, including the supplemental fee, by July 19. Very excited to see what happens from here on out!
Did you pay the supplemental fee immediately after submitting your primary, or did you pay it after HSDM contacted you?

Same.
Is this an email received by all applicants?
I got one too, on Wednesday. I would imagine everyone receives this email, it just indicates that your app is complete.

If last year is the judge, they come out next week.

Edit: If I'm not wrong, they came out between September 7th-15th in the last couple of years. Lots posted early to mid-October, too.

Last edited:
I got an invite this past Tuesday (9/10). It was a phone call, so look out for a MA area code!

Congratulations! Did they send an email too, or just the call?
Thanks! I got a confirmation email after the call but that was it. I almost didn't pick up the phone because I get a lot of spam calls, so definitely keep an eye out lol.

Thanks! I got a confirmation email after the call but that was it. I almost didn't pick up the phone because I get a lot of spam calls, so definitely keep an eye out lol.
When did you apply? And stats if you don't mind? Thank you for your time!

I think the first one was 9/13 but I can’t remember for sure. Mine is later this month and there were open dates for a couple weeks prior.

Anyone know (approx.) how many interview invites Harvard sends out?

Anyone know (approx.) how many interview invites Harvard sends out?
50 IS applicants, 4 interviewed, 3 offers.
852 OOS applicants, 92 interviewed, 46 offers.

i believe that is 2017 data

I just got an interview invite!! I missed the call because I was in lab but after seeing that 617 area code I was out of there

Wow, they're doing calls at 7 PM EST! That's awesome, fingers crossed for those of us who haven't heard back yet! :xf:

Reactions: 3 users