The Official July 13, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was originally registered or 5/23, but due to a serious lack of discipline and a busy work schedule, I had to reschedule my test date for 7/13.

What are your study plans? And, do you think that this July test date would put you at a significant disadvantage in this upcoming app cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody else on here using Berkeley Review VR book? I used up all passages from PR and was doing decent/well with those but I really suck at these passages from BR and its killing my confidence. Anybody else have this issue?

Anyone taking the test in San Antonio July 13? I'm coming from out of town and curious about preference of hotels. Thanks

I haven't posted in this thread before but the 13th is getting close and I'm getting nervous! I've been scoring well on the practice tests which has unfortunately really crippled my willpower for additional review.. oh well. Really hope my scores translate to the real deal!

Unfortunately I'm also working basically full-time for the next 5 days, hopefully this doesn't hurt me. Anybody else working a lot this close to the test date?

Members don't see this ad :)
1.5 weeks left and trying to remain calm! I was originally supposed to take the mcat in may, but moved it to july. Just recently hit a 30 last week... hoping the last 3 aamc exams (4,10, and 11) I have will follow similarly. The last 3 have been a range of 24,28, and 30, so not sure what to think. Honestly I'm not a good test taker, so a lot of it is just getting used to test taking and not making stupid mistakes when reading passages. Believe I got a 24 on one of the AAMC's because it was all the subjects I was weak in.

1.5 weeks left and trying to remain calm! I was originally supposed to take the mcat in may, but moved it to july. Just recently hit a 30 last week... hoping the last 3 aamc exams (4,10, and 11) I have will follow similarly. The last 3 have been a range of 24,28, and 30, so not sure what to think. Honestly I'm not a good test taker, so a lot of it is just getting used to test taking and not making stupid mistakes when reading passages. Believe I got a 24 on one of the AAMC's because it was all the subjects I was weak in.

I've been having a similar experience and its getting hard not to freak out. My range is everywhere and idk what to do. I feel like I have the content down... So I guess I'm going to practice more and do maybe 2 more full lengths. :/ feeling discouraged.. I'm now faced with maybe having to put it off for Nother 2 weeks. Ugh this is stressful.

Good luck everyone and happy 4th of July!!!

Hey guys! I have been following this thread for the last few weeks and hope everyone's studying is going well. This will be my second time taking the MCAT. Last summer I really bombed it. I have been studying 10+ hours a day for the last 2 months and have seen some improvement. My last 4 full length tests look like this:

Kaplan Test 2 = 24 (8,8,8)
AAMC Test 9 = 24 (8, 6, 10)
Kaplan Test 9 = 28 (9, 11, 8)
AAMC Test 8 = 27 (8, 9, 10)

I am shooting for a DO school who's average MCAT is 26. Last summer ended up scoring 5 points below my practice test average. I am worried about doing that again... Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe others who are retaking?

I plan to take AAMC 10 and 11 next week before the big day!

hey guys i posted a while back to sign up for a retake for july 13...well i fell off of studying and havent done much to prepare at all..on top of that i could not find MCAT seat nearby. trying to study hard these next few weeks starting tomorrow and plan to sign up for july 26th instead. if i get a seat, it would be my retake..so if you guys have questions about content or miscellaneous stuff feel free to PM me. good luck

Just took the last AAMC 11

11/11/14
In shock.

I had no idea what I was doing...

I am totally sick of this exam, it has wasted my 2 summers and somehow can't and can wait for next week at the same time...

But the plan is to do content review for the next week like crazy

Just took the last AAMC 11

11/11/14
In shock.

I had no idea what I was doing...

I am totally sick of this exam, it has wasted my 2 summers and somehow can't and can wait for next week at the same time...

But the plan is to do content review for the next week like crazy

That's awesome. Congrats!

I did TBR 6 yesterday and pulled a 12/10/12. Unfortunately I have a genetics test on Wednesday so I'm kinda halting my studies and will do some quick content review that last couple days and hope for the best next Saturday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last three AAMCs

7: 12-15-12 (Fluke??!?!?)
8: 13-13-12
9: 13-12-13

Really happy with my scores, but worried that my verbal is fluctuating so much because I'm in Canada and an 11 in VR is required to apply to several schools...

Still feeling uneasy with my content knowledge... the questions I tend to get wrong are the ones that can't be figured out from the passage. Not sure how to address that in a week.

Also... Does anyone else find it frustrating to get a higher raw score but lower scaled score? I understand why it happens, there's just something about it that bothers me!

Last edited:
I've been having a similar experience and its getting hard not to freak out. My range is everywhere and idk what to do. I feel like I have the content down... So I guess I'm going to practice more and do maybe 2 more full lengths. :/ feeling discouraged.. I'm now faced with maybe having to put it off for Nother 2 weeks. Ugh this is stressful.

Good luck everyone and happy 4th of July!!!

have you been going over your tests and figuring out why you got the questions wrong? I keep a log of the subjects I keep getting wrong in my practice tests. Hoping to address them and be set for the mcat on saturday. don't feel discouraged! if anything, you need to keep a positive mind so you can make sure you're performing your best on the real deal!

Just took aamc 11 and was not what I expected. totally bad timing on that one, but just learn from it, review, and move on! 2 more practice exams left, crossing my fingers!

Yep, same here. Time to start prioritizing I guess!

I'm in the same boat :eek:. I did most of my studying before summer classes, and now that they are over, my memory has slipped a bit... time to focus on high return studying :)

have you been going over your tests and figuring out why you got the questions wrong? I keep a log of the subjects I keep getting wrong in my practice tests. Hoping to address them and be set for the mcat on saturday. don't feel discouraged! if anything, you need to keep a positive mind so you can make sure you're performing your best on the real deal!

Just took aamc 11 and was not what I expected. totally bad timing on that one, but just learn from it, review, and move on! 2 more practice exams left, crossing my fingers!

Thank you. Yes, keeping a positive attitude is important and probably one of the hardest things to do for this exam! Yes, I also write down my weaknesses. I took AAMC9 and I did feel drained as I was taking it... Probably burnt out. But I didn't expect such a low score. That's what scared me. To me, the verbal was like WHATTTT. and I messed up on PS. so I'm scared of taking aamc 10 & 11. But I have to!

Does anyone know how aamc 5-7 are compared to the real thing? Or compared to aamc 10/11?

Good luck everyone.

12/10/12 on AAMC 11.

I don't want to get my hopes up though because it was a retake (took it back in January). I didn't remember any of the answers, but some of the passages were a bit familiar.

Does anyone know how aamc 5-7 are compared to the real thing? Or compared to aamc 10/11?
10 and 11 are more representative, but I still don't think they're as hard as the real MCAT.

Hey all, I'll be taking the July 13 exam as well! I've got one last AAMC exam to take (AAMC 9).

Just finished taking one of TPR's ridiculous cracking the MCAT exams. Anyone else familiar with these exams? I'm scoring comfortably below what I score on the AAMCs.

MCAT Review Series 1 - 26
MCAT Review Series 2 - 25
MCAT Cracking 1 - 22 !!

I'm thinking it was a mistake to start taking these exams.

Hey all, I'll be taking the July 13 exam as well! I've got one last AAMC exam to take (AAMC 9).

Just finished taking one of TPR's ridiculous cracking the MCAT exams. Anyone else familiar with these exams? I'm scoring comfortably below what I score on the AAMCs.

MCAT Cracking 1 - 22 !!

How do your AAMC scores compare?

AAMC 3 - 26
AAMC 4 - 28
AAMC 5 - 30
AAMC 7 - 30
AAMC 8 - 28
AAMC 11 - 27
AAMC 10 - 29

Aiming for DO, so If I can end up in the high 20's, I'd be thrilled.

AAMC T9 - 12/12/8 today.

My BS is so unbalanced. I'm literally spending all of tomorrow doing every single BS passage in that TPR SW. It might be overkill, but this is the last shot. I'm pretty sure I know my content, and if not, hopefully, those passages drill the content and teach me strategy at the same time.

Looking to do better on AAMC T10 on Monday.

Good luck ya'll! Keep on going AT IT. Home stretch!

MCAT Cracking 1 - 22 !!

Take other tests as practice, but only use your AAMC results.

12/10/12 on AAMC 11.

I don't want to get my hopes up though because it was a retake (took it back in January). I didn't remember any of the answers, but some of the passages were a bit familiar.

10 and 11 are more representative, but I still don't think they're as hard as the real MCAT.
BE CONFIDENT!!! I think that's the most important. Well in addition to knowing your material, but hey, your scores reflect that you do!

Was wondering if I could ask a question here that I was having difficulty with. Don't mean to pull you guys away from your preparation......

Take a look at Q: 49 in TBR page 147 of Bio Part 2 Molecular Bio book. So how the hell did they calculate those numbers based on pka1, pka2, pka3 values for those amino acids.
Histidine + Aspartic Acid (pH = 4.5) ,
Cystein + Tyrosine (pH = 9.2),
Arginine + Lysine (pH = 11.65),
Lysine + Cysteine (9.6)..
There is no explanation given as to how they are getting those values. They just say, take the average of pKa values. Well, for each acid we have 3 values and so for a combination of acids like above, I mean, I don't get it. Any thoughts, insights on this one?

my average on my aamcs is pretty good but i just took a kaplan practice test cause i ran out of aamcs and got about 5 points below my aamc average...

its mostly verbal...whenever i do non-aamc verbal i do a lot worse. should i be worried? =/

i usually average 11 on aamc verbal but i keep getting <10 on every other verbal practice like ek and stuff...:confused:

Hey Im new to the thread. I was getting 9-12 on AAMC verbals but when I do TPR practice exams, Im scoring 7s. I believe TPR exams are harder than the real deal but it is good practice. I say the same about BR tests. I cant wait to get this exam over with but at the same time im nervous lol. Anyone from Miami?

Kaplan and Princeton exams seem to be much harder than AAMC. The same thing is happening to me on Princeton's exams. Averaging 9-11 on AAMCs, getting solid 6's, with one 9, on Princeton's. I guess it's good practice, as long as you don't allow it to lower your confidence.

Kaplan and Princeton exams seem to be much harder than AAMC. The same thing is happening to me on Princeton's exams. Averaging 9-11 on AAMCs, getting solid 6's, with one 9, on Princeton's. I guess it's good practice, as long as you don't allow it to lower your confidence.

I hear that TPR and Kaplan are harder than the real MCAT and then their are the AAMC's which are easier than the TPR and Kaplan.

So the real MCAT is somewhere in between these two ?

I am scared ( again)

- Retake from August 2012.

AAMC 3 - 26
AAMC 4 - 28
AAMC 5 - 30
AAMC 7 - 30
AAMC 8 - 28
AAMC 11 - 27
AAMC 10 - 29

Aiming for DO, so If I can end up in the high 20's, I'd be thrilled.
Nice. Those are pretty consistent so just ignore the cracking/series scores.

I hear that TPR and Kaplan are harder than the real MCAT and then their are the AAMC's which are easier than the TPR and Kaplan.

So the real MCAT is somewhere in between these two ?

I am scared ( again)

- Retake from August 2012.

Like others have mentioned, use TPR and Kaplan as practice and use the AAMC's to gauge your scores.

Nice. Those are pretty consistent so just ignore the cracking/series scores.

Indeed. I have to unless I want to drive myself crazy.

Just finished my last AAMC exam. Knocked it out of the water! No more tests for me. Going into Saturday with confidence. Gl to everyone! The MCAT is ridiculously mean.

TPRT2 - 25 (7/9/9)
AAMCT4 - 28 (10/9/9)
AAMCT5 - 33 (13/12/8)
AAMCT7 - 28 (9/11/8)
AAMCT8 - 30 (10/11/9)
AAMCT9 - 32 (12/12/8)
AAMCT10 - 32 (11/12/9)

MY BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES ISKZJDLFKAJLKFJAS!!
Ah shucks. One more AAMC test, and I'm so worried since BS seems to be the hardest section on the real exam.

Also, the Verbal curve is just crazy, and I always get questions wrong only on that last passage. I hit Passage 7, and my brain stops processing information.

Indeed. I have to unless I want to drive myself crazy.

Just finished my last AAMC exam. Knocked it out of the water! No more tests for me. Going into Saturday with confidence. Gl to everyone! The MCAT is ridiculously mean.

Congrats Water!!
We got this.

Taking my last practice exam (AAMC 11) tomorrow. Still have a lot of the self assessments left though... Uh oh.

I can't believe we only have 5 days left! Where did all the time go?
Anyone have last minute VR suggestions? I took all of EK 101 and averaged a 7 (even though I followed the EK method) and I took AAMC 9 today and ended up with a 6. But yesterday I took AAMC 7 and got a 10. Why does it fluctuate so much?

I wouldn't change up your method TOO much, since it is what you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I threw most of the TPR verbal advice out the window, and began reading for understanding (I feel like a lot of people advise against this lol). This may not be that indicative, but I went from 9-10s on all the first few AAMCs to 11-12s on the most recent ones.

Reading takes a bit longer this way, but I feel like I understand the passage/tone/main point a LOT better, and those are really helping me answer questions, or at least eliminate 1-2 answers. This means a bit less time to go through the questions though.

Every passage has a PURPOSE. Each author has a reason of writing, and an intended audience. If you can understand this, it is very helpful for answering questions.

Also, however subtle, I like to take 5 seconds to take a deep breath after I finish every passage+question set. This way has allowed me to "reset" in a sense, and start fresh on the next passage.

Just my two cents =) I know others have other advice as well, but keep it up guys!!! We've worked hard, let's do this.

Last edited:
If the passage has a title (usually at the bottom of the page) read it! Sometimes it will give you a clue about the main point of the passage.

The biggest improvement in VR I noticed was when I started using a technique from EK VR book. Read the passage as if you're a Harvard professor and criticize it. Look at the points the author makes for their views and what examples they use. Make sure you really critique what they are saying. Pretend they're trying to convince you to change your view. Are their points strong or weak?

My score went up 2-3 points on average when I started doing this.

My only problem is when a passage has views from 2-3 people or 2-3 examples. The questions usually as to contrast 2 of them and I mix them up.

I'm seriously just hoping for a 25-26 at this point.

I wouldn't change up your method TOO much, since it is what you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I threw most of the TPR verbal advice out the window, and began reading for understanding (I feel like a lot of people advise against this lol). This may not be that indicative, but I went from 9-10s on all the first few AAMCs to 11-12s on the most recent ones.

Reading takes a bit longer this way, but I feel like I understand the passage/tone/main point a LOT better, and those are really helping me answer questions, or at least eliminate 1-2 answers. This means a bit less time to go through the questions though.

Every passage has a PURPOSE. Each author has a reason of writing, and an intended audience. If you can understand this, it is very helpful for answering questions.

Also, however subtle, I like to take 5 seconds to take a deep breath after I finish every passage+question set. This way has allowed me to "reset" in a sense, and start fresh on the next passage.

Just my two cents =) I know others have other advice as well, but keep it up guys!!! We've worked hard, let's do this.

oh yea, i did that too! totally ditched the tpr way of doing verbal because it took too long and didn't help me at all. reading the passage word for word really helps me the most! i think the last test i guessed on 1 passage entirely and still hit a 10 : ) so hoping for that on the real deal!

Anyone else wishing they had another month to improve their scores, but at the same time, sick of studying and just want to get the test over with? :rolleyes:

I can't even sleep since I automatically am drawn towards reading MCAT material. I'm SO glad we have an afternoon test.

Taking my last practice exam (AAMC 11) tomorrow. Still have a lot of the self assessments left though... Uh oh.
I'm taking AAMC11, and doing whatever I can from the self-assessments on Thursday. I wish I took the self-assessments earlier. They're sooooo long! I started Physics/Biology, but never finished them.

Yeah I'm in the same boat with self-assessments. I still have Physics/Chemistry left (not doing Verbal) to do, but it will be helpful in this sense as to figure out last-minute what topics I need to brush up on before the big day.

/Fingers crossed, home stretch team!!

Yeah I'm in the same boat with self-assessments. I still have Physics/Chemistry left (not doing Verbal) to do, but it will be helpful in this sense as to figure out last-minute what topics I need to brush up on before the big day.

/Fingers crossed, home stretch team!!

Physics is brutal. Don't take it too close to saturday if you feel like it will shake your confidence.

Yeah, definitely wish I had 1 more month but I definitely want it to be over.

I'm just going to cram for the next few days then go watch a movie Thursday night. Hit the gym Friday night so I'm exhausted around 9pm and get a good night's sleep.

Thanks for the tip! I will take it tonight =D

Oh geeez, maybe I should also finish that tonight then. Though for some reason I enjoy doing Physics passages..... (I know, seriously, what's wrong with me.)

I'm really hoping my BS picks up with AAMCT11, though I did hear that was the hardest test for BS.

Crunch time!! Gonna spend the next 4 days in the library until they drag me out. :cool:
I've taken over a 10 ft. long table with MCAT books/binders/notes, and I'll be doing the exact same thing. CRAM AS MUCH MATERIAL AS POSSIBLE, and then do something very relaxing Friday night.

Oh geeez, maybe I should also finish that tonight then. Though for some reason I enjoy doing Physics passages..... (I know, seriously, what's wrong with me.)

I'm really hoping my BS picks up with AAMCT11, though I did hear that was the hardest test for BS.

I've taken over a 10 ft. long table with MCAT books/binders/notes, and I'll be doing the exact same thing. CRAM AS MUCH MATERIAL AS POSSIBLE, and then do something very relaxing Friday night.

I like physics too, but the self assessment was difficult and strangle narrow in its content coverage.

AAMC 11 was one of the most difficult all around for me. :/ dropped a point from my last 3 tests.

Hey guys! I just wanted your opinion about when I should take my last full length exam (AAMC 11). I was thinking tomorrow so I could have a couple days off from test taking, but maybe it would be better to take it on Thursday...