The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I just postponed my May 24 date to June 21. Decided not to risk taking it so soon after finals, especially since my classes are making it hard to stick to a study schedule. So far, I love EK 1001 questions, TPR physics/bio, TBR chem/orgo. I'm sure more people than the two of us are taking the June 21 date lol

I just went through the exact same thought process. I was going to take it May 31st but figured I may be burnt after finals.

I'm signed up for this date, on day 16 of the SN2ED schedule, Verbal has been going really well, bio ok, PS not so much though. I'm hoping taking practice exams pretty much starting 30 days out will give me the biggest push

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone..I'm taking june 21st 8am. TPR has been awesome for me and so have TBR passages...I haven't really done much with EK 1001 yet, but I heard they are good and I'm going to start those in a few weeks. PS is probably my biggest strength, with BS going fairly well and Verbal being my weakness...so I'm hoping to pick that up.

I am studying using SN2ED schedule with TBR and EK... Its a bit much right now but I hope as I get used to it, it will get easier... Johnnydoesdat, it sounds like your doing well, whats your secret?

I guess I'm in the same boat as you guys. I wrote the MCAT 3 years ago after 2nd year. My score was good enough that I never thought I'd have to write again, but after a few disappointing rounds of apps (Canadian) I need to get myself a better VR score and a killer all around score so I can get some US schools to look at me for this cycle.
I used EK self study the first time I wrote, but I've been out of school for a year, and out of physics/gen chem classes for almost 4, so EK is not detailed enough anymore. Bought myself the TPR hyperlearning and I think it will be enough for me. Just need to find time to study between work and a gf.... that's the hard part.

I hope studying is going well for you guys!

@Adele, I guess the thing that has helped me the most is focusing on weaknesses early. Once I took care of those I felt very comfortable with most topics, so I'm hoping to continue building on them. The only thing I haven't really focused on is Verbal, but I'm going to take care of that over the next few months.

I am retaking the MCAT on June 21st now, after a horrible 1/28 VR performance... just sent in my TBR order form, hoping to receive materials before April. Hopefully I can boost my PS/BS scores as well (I am going to be using EK + TBR to study).

I'm signed up for this date, on day 16 of the SN2ED schedule, Verbal has been going really well, bio ok, PS not so much though. I'm hoping taking practice exams pretty much starting 30 days out will give me the biggest push

WOW Day 16 already. That's insane!

Will you guys be applying for the Fall 2013 admission cycle? I want to take the exam on June 21st too, but I just wanted to know if that's a good time to still apply and submit AMCAS application.

I want to take the exam and submit my application mid July. What do you guys think? Too late?

IMO I don't think this date is too late for the application cycle, as long as the score is a 30 or higher. Anything lower than a 30 I think would benefit a lot more from an earlier application.

I am wondering about study time. Have you guys started already? How many hours a week is realistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just starting my studing, am I already drastically behind? Also is there 1 comprehensive method that works really well I Know allot of people like the SN2ed method, what about say the Kaplan online coarse, or just going through the examkracker books? I'm taking a full class load and don't have a ton of extra time. Is this exam date unreasonable?

I'm just starting my studing, am I already drastically behind? Also is there 1 comprehensive method that works really well I Know allot of people like the SN2ed method, what about say the Kaplan online coarse, or just going through the examkracker books? I'm taking a full class load and don't have a ton of extra time. Is this exam date unreasonable?

I wouldn't consider you behind. Most people can get the MCAT knowledge down in 2-4 months.

I made my own study method based off of the SN2ed schedule. My schedule is exactly 88 days up until test day, with 19 days off total (most weekends[or one day of the weekend], and 4 days before the test), and 9 practice tests (AAMC #s 7, 5, 4, 8, 10, 11 and TBR #s 1, 2, 3).

For Bio, I am using both EK + TBR.
For Physics I am using TBR + WikiPM videos.
For Gen. Chem I am using TBR.
For Orgo I am using TBR and WikiPM videos.
For Verbal I am using both EK + TBR.

ExamKrackers is great if you think you have certain things down pat from undergrad... they should not really to be used if you are trying to teach yourself some of the basics again. TBR is more in depth, so it's great if you are teaching yourself or going off of little knowledge of the subjects.

I'll be taking the June 21st exam with all of you. I plan to submit my application in early June. So the time my AMCAS will be verified will coincide with the time my MCAT score comes in. My school also sends out committee packets around that time. So, there's really no fear that a June MCAT date will delay much of anything.

About halfway done with content review! Let's go June test takers!

hello!
Just getting started on studying for the June mcat (finished my pre-meds over a decade ago - yikes!) and taking the kaplan online course (signing up tomorrow). Curious...does anyone know the latest editions of the ExamKrackers 1001 series for Org chem (I saw 2001), Inorg chem ( I saw 2002), Bio (I saw 2006), Physics (I saw 2001) and the 101 verbal passages (I saw 2008 edition)? I saw these in amazon but unsure of latest editions. They seem outdated. Thanks and wishing you all the best studying and focus!

Hey hey everyone, I'll be taking the June 21st, test date as well, I'm doing some self- studying because I'm too poor to take those MCAT classes, but I've been studying for it since January. I do have a 2007 Kaplan study guide, along with my old textbooks, so here's to hoping for a 30+!

Scheduled my exam from May 24 to June 21 too. Almost done with the content part, will start doing the practice tests again starting this week. Did them last December-February, and I only scored 26 (AAMC 3): PS 10/ VR 8/ BS 8. But won't lose hope! Don't give up guys as I'm not giving up!

hello!
Just getting started on studying for the June mcat (finished my pre-meds over a decade ago - yikes!) and taking the kaplan online course (signing up tomorrow). Curious...does anyone know the latest editions of the ExamKrackers 1001 series for Org chem (I saw 2001), Inorg chem ( I saw 2002), Bio (I saw 2006), Physics (I saw 2001) and the 101 verbal passages (I saw 2008 edition)? I saw these in amazon but unsure of latest editions. They seem outdated. Thanks and wishing you all the best studying and focus!

I looked at the editions I have. Verbal: same. Chem: 2005. Orgo: same. Physics: 2003. Bio: I have an older one, 2004, the one you saw is newer. I really don't think there's much of a difference between editions. The only change I've heard of was for Verbal. The old edition had the timing for the old MCAT, so they repackaged it so that each set of passages fit the current 60min format.

Hey guys, I am in this boat as well. Retaking from last year. I hope all your studying is going well. I pretty much started at the beginning of march. I am using BR this time with something similiar to SN2 method, since last time I used TPR. So far I am almost done with the first half of books in BR. I still have access to the TPR stuff online from my course last year and have been using the remainder of those goods before they disappear on 5/2 lol. Anyway, good luck all!

Guess we're a small boat. Just got back from overseas for 2 years. Haven't been in school for 3 years now. Hope to start my schedule soon for June
Got EK set and hope to find back my 1001 ?s and 101 passages and TBR books. Would hate to have to order those.
Will find the hyperlearning for verbal.
What do you think about getting the 2nd edition of MCAT 2011 from amcas?

Anyone want to form a skype group to go over concepts/problems? I really could use some people to hold me accountable ;)

Anyone want to form a skype group to go over concepts/problems? I really could use some people to hold me accountable ;)

I know right. I forced my self to join this forum because I am slacking. Today was day 25 and I dogged it. I just mad a rule that this is the only website I can look at from 7am to 7pm(plus mcat videos). I found my self skipping through sections just so I could do nothing on the internet.

On a positive note, my reading comprehension feels like it has doubled in the last 25 days( 4th grade to 8th grade)

What time zone are you in and what are you using to study?

Sent from my HTC PH39100

June 21st here!

Using TPRH. Getting super frustrated w verbal, just can't seem to improve !

Everytime I go online, I always check Facebook. I came to a point where I was wasting my time already. Finally, I decided to deactivate my FB account for three months so that I can concentrate on my MCAT review. Anybody wants to hold me accountable for this?

Good to know I am not the only one slacking lol. I have a part time job and am trying to study in between it and life. It seems so far that I get more studying done on my work days than when I am off. Not sure why, but when I get a day off I just sleep, eat, and say that I am going to start studying here in a minute lol. That minute never comes though. I just took a practice test (one of the harder TPR MCAT REVIEW test) and got a 20 so yeah I need to stop procrastinating.

I am taking it June 21 too
I was supposed to take it May 24th but my schedule is really bad and I work part time plus thesis so I ended up postponing

I have been studying on and off since January but I realized if you really wanna have the information down, you have to study everyday with no breaks so the information stays fresh

I am using EK, and Princeton review
and I registered for 8 aamc exams

how did you all do on your first diagnostic?

@rorogena88, I got a 28 (8 PS, 12 V, 8 BS) on my diagnostic so I really need to bring that puppy up before test date. At least verbal is okay, I know people see score improvements more easily in PS/BS if they put hard work into it, increase content/formula knowledge, and do practice problems but verbal can sometimes be more difficult to tweak.

Lately life seems to very easily find ways to take away from MCAT studying. I really need to step it up and make this #1 priority even when it seems like it's out of my control (e.g. my phone gets stolen--it's horrible I should take the time to feel bad, research took way longer and I'm tired and just want to relax). So far I've been letting those distractions win but now I need to think "this date WON'T CHANGE, despite what happens every day I'm still registered for June 21st, I need to stick to my schedule NO MATTER WHAT or in the end I'll be behind and just feel worse for not having given it my all."

@rorogena88, I got a 28 (8 PS, 12 V, 8 BS) on my diagnostic so I really need to bring that puppy up before test date. At least verbal is okay, I know people see score improvements more easily in PS/BS if they put hard work into it, increase content/formula knowledge, and do practice problems but verbal can sometimes be more difficult to tweak.

Lately life seems to very easily find ways to take away from MCAT studying. I really need to step it up and make this #1 priority even when it seems like it's out of my control (e.g. my phone gets stolen--it's horrible I should take the time to feel bad, research took way longer and I'm tired and just want to relax). So far I've been letting those distractions win but now I need to think "this date WON'T CHANGE, despite what happens every day I'm still registered for June 21st, I need to stick to my schedule NO MATTER WHAT or in the end I'll be behind and just feel worse for not having given it my all."

do you work?
coz i'm in the same boat as you are. I have a part time job, Thesis, and 16hrs course load..and it seems I won't be able to put much time until after finals (May 9th)
so I decided to take the rest of may and June off to dedicate the full scedule to the MCAT...

I used to put an hour every night but I realized I forget things because I am not consistent so I decided to just wait until after finals

your diagnostic is good btw..I scored a 21 when I took the diagnostic (January) ..

Last edited:
do you work?
coz i'm in the same boat as you are. I have a part time job, Thesis, and 16hrs course load..and it seems I won't be able to put much time until after finals (May 9th)
so I decided to take the rest of may and June off to dedicate the full scedule to the MCAT...

I used to put an hour every night but I realized I forget things because I am not consistent so I decided to just wait until after finals

your diagnostic is good btw..I scored a 21 when I took the diagnostic (January) ..
Same here! Got tons of things right now, but i'm devoting at least an hour everyday reading princeton's mcat book and taking practice test online. So far, my scores are constant, 8/8/8. I guess that's better than declining.

I am still floundering between the June 21st and July 6 dates, but started studying a few weeks ago. My scores are CRAZY all over the place! I am talking +/- 10 points from AAMC 3 to AAMC 4. Wtf!

Yes, I do research. And like you guys my schedule won't really open up until May. Even then though I'll have a few time-consuming things going on. Just really have to stay on top of my schedule and things will be okay.

@gumbyj, if the score differences were for BS and/or PS then that might point to a knowledge gap. One test gave you things you really knew so you did well, another gave you weak spots so you didn't do as well.

I've been avoiding this thread like a plague but I need to be in here lol. How far is everyone in their studying? I really want to take the exam on this date but have so much on my plate, however can't let that be an excuse because there will ALWAYS be something that pops up.

Best wishes!

I really want to take the exam on this date but have so much on my plate, however can't let that be an excuse because there will ALWAYS be something that pops up.

I think a lot of us are feeling this way! Just got to get through it somehow, good luck to you too.

Started off registering for the March MCAT.... Postponed to April because the March MCAT was on the same week as my 1 year wedding anniversary. Moved from April to May due to husband's surgery. Now I'm taking it in June 21 because I have to move to another state in the week that the May exam is administered because my husband has an internship in the summer. *sigh*

Let's hope nothing else comes up that screws up my timing.

For the record I only studied Physics - Did TBR, TPRH, and EK 1001 for it - and practiced for the Verbal.
Hopefully this month I can finish content review on the other subjects!

I REALLY want to take it this date too. Good luck everyone!

Definitely need a break from studying; the downside of not having Friday class is that I have no excuse to put off studying for this wretched exam...

Been taking the EK class and using J Co Review at home. 36 on the practice CBT I took this morning..hmm, I'm thinking that's good enough to justify taking the rest of the day off :)

Definitely need a break from studying; the downside of not having Friday class is that I have no excuse to put off studying for this wretched exam...

Been taking the EK class and using J Co Review at home. 36 on the practice CBT I took this morning..hmm, I'm thinking that's good enough to justify taking the rest of the day off :)

NICE! You deserve the break.

What's J Co Review?

I'm in for June 21st.... I've been studying off an on since January but nothing serious. Last week, i made a off-shoot of the sn2ed schedule. Actually i'm going somewhat faster than the sn2ed schedule and taking a full course load. at this rate i should be done with content review by first week of may which gives me plenty of time to pinpoint assess weaknesses. My classes end in about 10 days which means full steam on the content review.