The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I used to remember this by thinking once I have already gathered that energy(endothermic) to overcome the first activation energy barrier, I don't need anymore since I am already there and the next process will continue..? Lol But I don't think that is too scientific! And they are def talking about delta H. Delta G is overall Product-Reactant...

but this graph says "free energy" and free energy is talking about delta G. And according to this graph, it should be endo/exergonic not endo/exothermic.

I'll just assume that TBR messed up with the labeling? I don't think you can assume enthalpy from free energy graph.

Here's another diagram in the book. I think TBR is doing a great job at confusing me.
ScreenShot2012-06-13at80335PM-1.jpg

Hey, y'all.

Sigh. So, I took AAMC 10 and just finished reviewing the PS and BS sections. Don't you hate it when you make mistakes that just make you wanna :smack: or you changed from the correct answers? Gah! I got 9/11/10 = 30 and could have gotten 10/11/11 = 32 if I just didn't make silly mistakes/change from my gut answers. Why does hindsight have to be 20/20 and not ..front sight? (Can't think of the term or phrase I'm looking for, but I'm sure you guys get what I mean haha.)

Also, I got 41/52 on the AAMC 9 PS which is an 11 but got 39/52 on AAMC 10 which is only a 9! Only two more questions wrong and it was a two point drop! All I could say when I saw that was, "Oh, you damn bastard of a scale.." :eyebrow: :laugh: I haven't gone over VR yet but I'm glad it at least stayed the same and didn't drop from AAMC 9.

One more thing: I've been stuck between 37-40/52 in BS for the last NINE full lengths (with 38/52 for 6 of them in a row) and, well, it's a little aggravating to say the least. Anyone got any advice on how to improve? I feel like I know my ish (for bio at least; ochem is still a little iffy but improving). I guess the experimental passages trip me up a bit.

Other than that, I hope everyone's having a good day (as good a day as we can have these days.. just no meltdowns is good). :D

For the bio experimentals I try to use process of elimination ALOT and move on. I know that is obvious but I always end up doing better than I thought on them when I feel like **** about them initially. Also I think with a mediocre orgo understanding you end up finding the orgo a lot easier. I used to be so intimidated by orgo but they almost seem like give away points now as long as i can find a nucleophile or electrophile.

sometimes when i don't understand a concept and can't read ill check out freelance tutor - he's a total nerd but really knows his stuff. his optics videos CHANGED my life!:laugh::lock::zip:

For the bio experimentals I try to use process of elimination ALOT and move on. I know that is obvious but I always end up doing better than I thought on them when I feel like **** about them initially. Also I think with a mediocre orgo understanding you end up finding the orgo a lot easier. I used to be so intimidated by orgo but they almost seem like give away points now as long as i can find a nucleophile or electrophile.

sometimes when i don't understand a concept and can't read ill check out freelance tutor - he's a total nerd but really knows his stuff. his optics videos CHANGED my life!:laugh::lock::zip:

I used to watch his video for Orgo last year. Got me an A! I love that guy, he taught me more than my professors!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I have a quick thermodynamics question.
I used to think I understood this, but now that I look at it, it's making me more confused.

ScreenShot2012-06-13at72618PM-1.png

When you have a graph like this. Do you say that G>0 for step 1 and G<0 for step 2, or do you say H>0 for step 1 and H<0 for step two?

I thought G only tells you if it's spontaneous or not, so therefore, this graph should only tell you that step one is nonspontaneous and step 2 is spontaneous.

However, TBR said that step one is endothermic and step two is exothermic for a graph like this. So they're looking for Enthalpy on a free energy graph?

I think the more i look into this, the more i'm confusing myself, can someone explain?

That's a good/crappy question at the same time.

Here's my understanding: activation energy and free energy are two entirely different concepts.

One could have a spontaneous reaction (G < 0), but have an extraordinarily high amount of Eact, so the reaction would not proceed in the forward direction. Essentially, free energy does not determine the rate of a reaction and plays no part in it.

That said, from the graph, we can conclude that this is an exergonic reaction because it states free energy on the y axis. However, if it had stated energy alone, it would be exothermic.

I am thinking that the question might be hinting at coupled reactions where the first step is endergonic and the second step is exergonic, making the whole thing exergonic, thus spontaneous in the forward direction?? I could be completely off here.

Here's my understanding: activation energy and free energy are two entirely different concepts.

One could have a spontaneous reaction (G < 0), but have an extraordinarily high amount of Eact, so the reaction would not proceed in the forward direction. Essentially, free energy does not determine the rate of a reaction and plays no part in it.

That said, from the graph, we can conclude that this is an exergonic reaction because it states free energy on the y axis. However, if it had stated energy alone, it would be exothermic.

I am thinking that the question might be hinting at coupled reactions where the first step is endergonic and the second step is exergonic, making the whole thing exergonic, thus spontaneous in the forward direction?? I could be completely off here.

I know what you're trying to say here. I agree with you. However, I don't think they mentioned Ea in the question. They only said it was exo/endothermic. Therefore I was kind of confused with the labeling.
I think they might have made an error labeling this as the "free energy" graph instead of "energy" or "heat energy".
keep calm carry on, this has been my motto for the past few days. starting to freak out majorly.

I know what you're trying to say here. I agree with you. However, I don't think they mentioned Ea in the question. They only said it was exo/endothermic. Therefore I was kind of confused with the labeling.
I think they might have made an error labeling this as the "free energy" graph instead of "energy" or "heat energy".
keep calm carry on, this has been my motto for the past few days. starting to freak out majorly.

Don't worry, you will be fine. Just know that everyone had to go through it and thousands of people have been in your shoes. If they can do it, then you certainly can.

These last few days, just wrap-up your weak areas and hope for the best. I am literally hitting equations, brushing-up on some organic, hat trick, TPR SW Bio passages, and finishing AAMC 9, 10, and 11. Hang in there!

Hi guys, I have a quick thermodynamics question.
I used to think I understood this, but now that I look at it, it's making me more confused.

ScreenShot2012-06-13at72618PM-1.png

When you have a graph like this. Do you say that G>0 for step 1 and G<0 for step 2, or do you say H>0 for step 1 and H<0 for step two?

I thought G only tells you if it's spontaneous or not, so therefore, this graph should only tell you that step one is nonspontaneous and step 2 is spontaneous.

However, TBR said that step one is endothermic and step two is exothermic for a graph like this. So they're looking for Enthalpy on a free energy graph?

I think the more i look into this, the more i'm confusing myself, can someone explain?

the kinetic aspect is different from the thermodynamic aspect ..kinetic has to do with how fast the reaction is going and thermo which includes free energy is about whether the reaction will occur or not ...THEREFORE, the question shouldn't not be asking you about free energy.............also if you get a question like this, they would have to tell you whether the whole reaction is endo or exo this way you can determine if it might be spontaneous or not (free energy)

Last edited:

I looked at it this way and it's still a little confusing...anyway, the free energy for the product is way lower than that of the reactant which would make it spontaneous if you look at it this way G<0

If I don't know the answer right away without looking at the choices, I usually do POE as much as possible. It's usually the last damn two choices that I have to choose between that messes me up. As for ochem, I am getting better without having to do any extra content review (haven't done content review for a couple weeks now but I will be doing some brush up in the next few days for bio, gchem, and physics). After doing the AAMCs, there tends to be a pattern of material they test a lot on: SN 1 & 2 and E1 & E2 rxns, nucleophilicity, electrophilicity, separation and purification techniques, etc., and I think I'm getting a better hang of it.

So I just need to get my reading comprehension better for the experimental bio passages because the mistakes I'm making are totally facepalm worthy--or this :bang: ..:p

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into those videos. :highfive:

Jesus christ, I still have 2 more FINALS tomorrow and then I'm finished.

Thursday - Finish finals and relax all day, moping around in my own filth + Read 1/3 TPR Ochem
Friday - Read over all my notes + Practice Passages + Read 1/3 TPR Ochem + Re-read 1st 1/2 of EK Bio
Saturday - Take AAMC 8 + Review + Read 1/3 TPR Ochem
Sunday - Take AAMC 9 + Review + Re-read 2nd 1/2 EK Bio
Monday- Read over PS & BS Notes + TPR Workbook
Tuesday - Take AAMC 11 + Review + Practice Passages
Wednesday - 1st half of the day Read over PS & BS Notes + TPR Workbook, then Relax with zero fux given for the remainder.
Thursday - Destroy the MCAT with the force of a thousand suns

edit: Ahh crap, I gotta find time to finish my Personal Statement and Work Activities LOL!!

Hey guys, just confused a little about splitting. When considering splitting.. Say for example 1-bromopropane.. for the protons on the second carbon that are affected by two different proton environments. Do you count them together or separately for the (n+1) rule? The TPR book says neighboring environments do not have to be equivalent to be added together. Ahhhh then when does the doublet of quartets and all that come in?
Image580a.gif

So according to TPR it would be a sextet..

I see what your asking I think... if you look at C1 and C3 they're going to both be triplets because of the neighboring carbon having 2 hydrogens. They will both have 2+1 = 3 peaks, because the C1 and C3 carbons are different environments due to the varying degree of deshielding due to the bromine. As for the C2 central carbon, it will have 6 peaks, since it has 5 "different" neighboring hydrogens and 5+1 = 6. The bromine makes both sides of the central carbon have "different" environments. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy zen!! Got a 33 on AAMC 9. 11/12/10.

11 is a beastly PS improvement for me, never got over an 8 before this, so I'm super pumped. Hope I can keep that improvement up/it wasn't just luck. :eek:

Not feeling confident at all. But just went out and bought a pack of red bulls on sale--win!

So much material...and I'm used to cramming. Is it just me or do you guys also feel annoyed by small things these days? It could be like a simple question about MCAT progress and whatever but you just feel like telling them stfu... except that it's your mum who's asking the question!

haha! i totally feel you on the annoyance level! Been highly irritable.....EVERYONE asks "so when is your MCAT again?!" arrghhhh!

Anyone else feeling ridiculously sleepy?

I was reading the Molecular Biology chapter in TPR and then did a Kaplan Topical test on it to see if I retained anything I read but I kept falling asleep so I lost concentration and made a ton of mistakes. I slept for 9 hours last night so I'm not sure why I'm so tired!

I chew gum or i have the music on...im soooooo glad ive been lurking on this site! Makes me feel like im not alone :(...this test could really make you question your whole existence! lol education, critical thinking, how to read a question correctly! whew!!! I fall asleep too while studying then i beat myself up for it! or if i even watch any senseless
reality tv i feel guilty!! HA!!!!

11 is a beastly PS improvement for me, never got over an 8 before this, so I'm super pumped. Hope I can keep that improvement up/it wasn't just luck. :eek:

Highest of fives to you sir. I also just got an 11 on the PS for AAMC 9. That thing was wicked man. But I am stoked :) Last year I got a f***ing 6 on the PS. Talk about improvement lol

Holy ****! that is efffing crazyyyyyyyy! Good Job! Incredible Verbal Improvement too!!!!!!!!!:love: How did you do it?????!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks! For the verbal, it's mostly just been a slow, steady improvement over the course of the full-lengths. But my verbal is dodgy depending on how interested I am in the passages, so the passages for AAMC 9 weren't that boring to me as far as they go. :p

Highest of fives to you sir. I also just got an 11 on the PS for AAMC 9. That thing was wicked man. But I am stoked :) Last year I got a f***ing 6 on the PS. Talk about improvement lol

Thanks, man. Great work to you too! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I got a 6 on PS on the actual thing. PS is so hard haha. :(

I don't feel like studying anymore!!!! This is so bad. Maybe I'll do a FL instead?

Gonna start AAMC 8! Hope I don't bomb this thing!

How much do we really need to know about the body systems?
I know the basics like how every system works and all but I don't know details and did not learn any details..should I?

That's awesome! I got an 11 on AAMC 9's PS, too, when my other scores have only been 6, 6, 7, 8, and 9. I hope we can all get that (or better) on the real thing! :luck:

Oh gosh, we're exactly one week away! :scared:

I took my sister to school this morning and said--well, more like yelled--"I'M EXACTLY ONE WEEK AWAY FROM THE MCAT!" But, luckily (or foolishly? :p), I felt no nervousness :barf: (haha nasty), only excitement to be done. We can do this! :highfive:

--

I have only AAMC 11 left and I'm taking that on Saturday, so I'm probably gonna brush up on some content, maybe take topicals/re-take section tests, and/or review old AAMCs today. What else is everyone doing? :)

How much do we really need to know about the body systems?
I know the basics like how every system works and all but I don't know details and did not learn any details..should I?

Which body systems are you referring to?

I don't feel like studying anymore!!!! This is so bad. Maybe I'll do a FL instead?

Gonna start AAMC 8! Hope I don't bomb this thing!

You got this! :thumbup: :nod:

So, i was never confused about this before but suddenly i just noticed that the TPR organic books says that the configuration (E) is trans and (Z) is cis...
but my class notes says the opposite...(E) cis and (Z) trans...
so i really dont know, even when i tried searching online there were some sites with one option and the other with the opposite....
Please help.

E is trans and Z is cis. Think Z for zame zide (same side). Z (from the German zusammen) means "together." E (from the German entgegen) means "opposite" and corresponds to trans.

So, i was never confused about this before but suddenly i just noticed that the TPR organic books says that the configuration (E) is trans and (Z) is cis...
but my class notes says the opposite...(E) cis and (Z) trans...
so i really dont know, even when i tried searching online there were some sites with one option and the other with the opposite....
Please help.

E is trans and Z is cis
Z=ZAME (when the highest priority groups are on the same side)

Which body systems are you referring to?

Immune system, renal system,etc...
I realized on some of the exams they ask some questions that no way I would know without previous knowledge on this stuff... I remember on one of the exams there was a question about the lungs and even though I had taken physiology, I didn't remember seeing any of the names they mentioned

E is trans and Z is cis. Think Z for zame zide (same side). Z (from the German zusammen) means "together." E (from the German entgegen) means "opposite" and corresponds to trans.

E is trans and Z is cis
Z=ZAME (when the highest priority groups are on the same side)

Thank you..i even i had that impression but my notes just confused me.

Immune system, renal system,etc...
I realized on some of the exams they ask some questions that no way I would know without previous knowledge on this stuff... I remember on one of the exams there was a question about the lungs and even though I had taken physiology, I didn't remember seeing any of the names they mentioned

Hm. I just know as much as my physio classes and kaplan books have taught me, but I don't think I've encountered questions that I didn't have any idea about (unless of course it's one of those experimental passages where they definitely present you with new information). For bio, I feel like if you know how the systems work then that's good, but it's a little better to know details so if they do come up, you already have an idea of the kind of answer you're looking for.

E.g. for the renal system, know which tubules can reabsorb/secrete water/certain ions and where the various hormones work. For the immune system, know which cells do what and the different types of immunity. Are those the kind of details you're asking about, or am I just talking outta my ass? lol (It's ok if you tell me I am; I'm just trying to get a better idea of the details you're talking about.) :)

Hm. I just know as much as my physio classes and kaplan books have taught me, but I don't think I've encountered questions that I didn't have any idea about (unless of course it's one of those experimental passages where they definitely present you with new information). For bio, I feel like if you know how the systems work then that's good, but it's a little better to know details so if they do come up, you already have an idea of the kind of answer you're looking for.

E.g. for the renal system, know which tubules can reabsorb/secrete water/certain ions and where the various hormones work. For the immune system, know which cells do what and the different types of immunity. Are those the kind of details you're asking about, or am I just talking outta my ass? lol (It's ok if you tell me I am; I'm just trying to get a better idea of the details you're talking about.) :)

yeah this is what I was asking about....I was not sure if we were supposed to have background knowledge on the enzymes,etc.......I know how each system works and I am familiar with the process but not much the enzymes involved in each system and such details

thank you

Last edited:
I know... I know I'm supposed to take entire FL all in one go but I can't bring myself to do that right now. My attention span has greatly depreciated and I'm starving. So I only did AAMC 8's PS. Got a 10 again.... :shrug:

AAMC 3 - 10 PS
AAMC 7 - 9 PS
AAMC 4 - 8 PS :cry:
AAMC 9 - 10 PS
AAMC 8 - 10 PS

Good news is that during the last 2 tests, I didn't run out of time at all! YAY
But I suck at those passages that look more like Verbal. You know what I'm talking about right? Like the MRI one - got 4 Q's wrong!!!! WTFFF and I got like 2 wrong from the Aristotle passage.
And I read questions wrong all the time - like for one of them it said list the vertical forces and I just assumed it meant the forces going up only. Then I looked back at it after it's over and I'm like :lame: How did I stupidly assume that?
I wish I can stop making these ridiculous errors so I can score above a 10 already!

Last edited:
Haha wow kaplan FL 10 is absurdly difficult. Got a 9PS 7VR and 10BS. Compared to the average of my last 5 tests (12PS 11.5VR 12.5BS) this wasn't even close.
Oh well, I read that KAP 10 & 11 weren't worth trying but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Heads up to whomever else is considering trying these tests.

Ugh 8 on PS of AAMC 10. I only need 2 questions to get a solid 9 and have only gotten a 9 on AAMC 7. I hope I can pull it together on test day. I just want a 9.

Any tips? Is it realistic for me to get a 9 on test day?

Getting excited!!! I am gonna nail this test.

Here's my schedule:

June 14th – fluids, electric currents, electrostatics, momentum, optics/kinematics
June 15th – finish all of Biology
June 16th – finish all of Organic chemistry
June 17th – AAMC 10; electrochemistry; titrations; radioactivity
June 18th – formula sheet; gases; Thermochemistry; phase changes
June 19th – AAMC 11; review all of Physical Sciences
June 20th – formula sheet

Hey guys! I'm a new member but long time lurker, taking the test on June 21st too. T-minus one week! Just spending the last week trying to get my PS (strongest section) down cold so I can leave more brain space on test day for the analytical stuff. My science scores are consistently 13+ but verbal goes anywhere from a 9 to an 11 for me depending on the test day. That's a total crapshoot and the part I'm most worried about, but knowing my luck I'll end up getting my ass kicked on the sciences instead haha.

Haha wow kaplan FL 10 is absurdly difficult. Got a 9PS 7VR and 10BS. Compared to the average of my last 5 tests (12PS 11.5VR 12.5BS) this wasn't even close.
Oh well, I read that KAP 10 & 11 weren't worth trying but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Heads up to whomever else is considering trying these tests.

I just took kaplan 8 and got demolished by the physical sciences. is it just me or is it pretty much impossible to finish the PS on time on these tests....it seriously messes me up

I know what you mean. I say try doing high yield problems on the topics you keep missing. For me, I'm usually iffy on the gen chem solutions stuff. And in Physics, I suck at the waves topics. So maybe doing high yield problems will clear up some concepts for you, and hopefully for me too :\

Ugh 8 on PS of AAMC 10. I only need 2 questions to get a solid 9 and have only gotten a 9 on AAMC 7. I hope I can pull it together on test day. I just want a 9.

Any tips? Is it realistic for me to get a 9 on test day?

I'm no PS expert by any means but I think it's totally possible as long as you do a thorough post-game analysis and work at what you're weak at along with the material they usually test on: kinematics, electrostatics, c = (freq)(wavelength) stuff (I can't even remember the name haha), energy, redox, stoichiometry, etc. My AAMC PS scores are 6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 9 and the 7-9 increase was done in about a week. Really focus on seeing the material they ask about the most and make sure you get those down! (Clearly, this is also advice for myself since, as you can see, my PS scores have been--ahem--less than stellar.) We can do this! :D

Guys, I was wondering if you guys had any last minute tips on Verbal. I started off with steady 6s on verbal and managed to bring it up to 9s in the last two practice exams. But I still feel like I need to do better on these. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Guys, I was wondering if you guys had any last minute tips on Verbal. I started off with steady 6s on verbal and managed to bring it up to 9s in the last two practice exams. But I still feel like I need to do better on these. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey, that's a great improvement! :thumbup: Do you know what type of mistakes you're making on verbal? Are you bringing in outside information to answer questions, missing key words like "except" or "not", or.. something else? I can only say to make sure you really understand the author's argument and don't let your mind wander (not saying yours does, but I have found myself suddenly humming a song that was stuck in my head while reading passages :bang: lol).

just finished the PS section of AAMC 8. WHAT THE SLJFLSJDFLSDF was that all about?
By far hardest PS section I've ever SEEN in my LIFE

Hey, that's a great improvement! :thumbup: Do you know what type of mistakes you're making on verbal? Are you bringing in outside information to answer questions, missing key words like "except" or "not", or.. something else? I can only say to make sure you really understand the author's argument and don't let your mind wander (not saying yours does, but I have found myself suddenly humming a song that was stuck in my head while reading passages :bang: lol).
Yes!!!! I let my mind wander a LOT. I get distracted SO EASILY during the verbal section. It's ridiculous. How did you improve on that? Because once I find myself distracted, I feel like I just missed the whole point of the passage and then start doubting myself.

just finished the PS section of AAMC 8. WHAT THE SLJFLSJDFLSDF was that all about?

Heh....yeah it was pretty strange if I do say so myself....

But I'm sure you did awesome like you have been doing =)
Good luck!

Oh gosh, yeah you must have only scored 12 on that section because of its extreme difficulty right? LOL you're funny.

I just took AAMC #9 and thought it was the easiest yet! Got a 32 :thumbup:

My only complaint now is not being able to raise my verbal from a 9. I would love to break the double digits in verb for test day. :smuggrin:

Oh gosh, yeah you must have only scored 12 on that section because of its extreme difficulty right? LOL you're funny.

I just took AAMC #9 and thought it was the easiest yet! Got a 32 :thumbup:

My only complaint now is not being able to raise my verbal from a 9. I would love to break the double digits in verb for test day. :smuggrin:

No i swear, I'm probably getting below a 9 on PS this time. The concepts were beyond my understanding. I have no idea what they were saying for 2 whole passages. and probably spent a good 30 minutes on them so I didn't even have time to look at other passages.

Just finished verbal. Mindblown.... i didn't think verbal can get longer and harder than AAMC 7. didn't finish 2 passages.

i'm going to go cry and start BS now....

@ Luvahgilahsa: Aww i'm sure you'll do fine and even if you go down a point to two, don't worry. It's just one test =)

I really need to raise my BS and PS by at least 2 points. I'm not sure if that's possible in just 7 days =(

Any pointers guys? I'm running out of steam....

Yes!!!! I let my mind wander a LOT. I get distracted SO EASILY during the verbal section. It's ridiculous. How did you improve on that? Because once I find myself distracted, I feel like I just missed the whole point of the passage and then start doubting myself.

Honestly, I'm still working on it. When I start VR, I try my best to get the other sections out of my head and reeeaaally try to focus on the passage even if it's not that interesting (though they have been kinda interesting lately, at least in my opinion). Tell yourself: "Self," (or say your name lol), "you better focus on this crap or else you're going to have to go through this grueling process all over again and you don't want that now, do you?" Or, you know, whatever less crazy-sounding thing you wanna tell yourself. :rolleyes: If I do get distracted anyway and feel like I'm starting to miss the main idea, I quickly read a sentence or two back to make sure I haven't completely lost track of the author's or the paragraph's main point.

Not sure there's a magic process for VR, but keep practicing just like for the other sections and more likely than not, you'll see an improvement. :highfive: <-- I love these high-fiving little dudes haha.