The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, first thing I always do in a question (unless of course it is a straight calculation question) is eliminate obviously wrong answers. Unless the passage tone/argument is 'extreme', you can almost always eliminate 'extreme' answers. Often, when deciding between two answers, I will go with the one that directly answers the question and doesn't just give some vague roundabout stab at it.

Also, work on taking a guess/marking questions that are bogging you down. One of the easiest ways to score low is not finishing on time. Therefore, if you find yourself still looking at a question a minute after reading it and you aren't any closer to determining an answer, skip it and come back. Getting that one question right in 5 minutes is not worth missing two others because of time constraints (and, questions that take exorbitant amounts of time often don't turn out correct anyways)

Thanks for the detailed response! I'll definitely keep all of that in mind =) I definitely need to realize that sometimes I should just mark and move on. I just hope our mcat won't be too calculation heavy....

I hate VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna cry :'( it is so unfair for people who have moved recently to the US :(

Awww... it's also pretty harsh on people who are native speakers. I think it's just harsh in general. I mean did you see their curve? It's nuts!

34 on AAMC 9!!! (12/11/11)

so excited, highest I have ever got! getting really nervous..the real thing is so close! and I feel like there is still plenty for me to do! Some of the stuff I have been getting wrong is due to simply not knowing the answer, so I definitely need to make the effort to fill in those gaps these next couple of days.

We're almost there!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
34 on AAMC 9!!! (12/11/11)

so excited, highest I have ever got! getting really nervous..the real thing is so close! and I feel like there is still plenty for me to do! Some of the stuff I have been getting wrong is due to simply not knowing the answer, so I definitely need to make the effort to fill in those gaps these next couple of days.

We're almost there!!!

Awesome score! Ahh these days are like flying by hahaa:scared:

I hate VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna cry :'( it is so unfair for people who have moved recently to the US :(

I am not a native speaker and my VR scores are the same as some of my friends who are native speakers..I think it's harsh for everyone because it's not our everyday reading..In fact, I am surprised that I am scoring low on this section specially that I have done about a year and a half of research and I have read way too many research papers (they are very hard to read sometimes)... anyway, I realized it's because we are always mentally exhausted before we get to the VR section and since it's too long, we are even more exhausted before we get to the last passage

English is an international language.. Agreed. However, no matter how much one argues, the VR is much harder for non-native speakers. One, because the reading is hard(this is standard for everyone) but second, the vocabulary part of it is much harder for non-native speakers.Simple terms can alter a meaning of a question, so even understanding the questions can be hard.. The level of English spoken here versus in another country is totally different. There is no comparison.. Thankfully the MCAT does not have the SAT kind of comprehension passages where having an extensive vocabulary is essential to getting a good score. Here interpretation is sufficient, but the material is way too dense for people from other countries to understand and then answer questions in less that 8.5 mins tops.

I agree with you that the vocab makes a huge difference..the timing too is a problem
how are you scores?
I am dedicating tomorrow to VR and just VR to see if I can find something that works for me
so far I didn't get higher than an 8 and I cannot find anything that helps
I become so mentally exhausted after physics that I just do not wanna read anymore so I end up reading but not processing the information if you know what I mean

Last edited:
WTF AAMC 8! WTF!

WTF!

PS - 12
VR - 9 (again!???) - retook it from a while back because the last time I took it, it was at 2:00 AM
BS - 12

Was so frustrated with PS on AAMC 8. The effing passage on Aristotle and MRI?? The questions were super easy, but I don't think I still understand it. And I missed 3 questions on those 2 passages alone!! That along with stupid mistakes. Ahhh!

Last edited:
PS: gotten between 10-13
BS: 10-11
VR- ughhhh (6-7 mainly)

so you're averaging about 28-29
why don't you use different methods when you read
this is what I will be doing tomorrow
I mean try to read the questions first then read the passage and see if it helps and if this doesn't work then try something else like try predicting the answers to the questions before you read the answer choices, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry didn't want this to get lost as the last post on the previous page

I thought it was late for it too but I got it anyways. You can't see your results for any section until you complete the whole thing which is annoying. But it is AAMC, so the practice questions seem pretty good.

Ahhh freaking out too! Omg omg omg omg!!!!

And how is the assessment package? I don't think I'm going to get it.... Seems a little to late for us :( I hate how they released it so late! Not fair!

Ahhh freaking out too! Omg omg omg omg!!!!

And how is the assessment package? I don't think I'm going to get it.... Seems a little to late for us :( I hate how they released it so late! Not fair!

I bought it. Seems to be good practice , though impractical to do 20 passages and then go over it all.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Wow that's really obnoxious.. You can't see the answers to any of the passages until you're done? It might be worth picking one section and giving it a go but it'd be impossible to do more than that.

Took yesterday off (grad + birthday), now I'm back in the game ready to go strong for these last few days!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I've been reading this thread since I'm also scheduled to take the exam next Thursday, but have yet to post anything. Congratulations to those of you who are doing really well on the practice exams. I didn't realize that AAMC 10 and 11 were the more representative tests and took those first right after my PR course was over and got a 25 and 29, respectively. Then, I started doing the lower tests and order and have been scoring very unevenly on them (PS fell and Verbal and BS went up a little). I have yet to break a 30 and don't know what to do. I still want to take the exam and see what happens because I have been making very stupid mistakes.
For anyone who needs help with verbal, I recommend the EK 101 passages. While I find them to be a lot more difficult than the AAMC verbal, they helped me with timing and looking for key words. My verbal has increased since I've started doing a few of those tests a day. GOOD LUCK!

WTF AAMC 8! WTF!

WTF!

PS - 12
VR - 9 (again!???) - retook it from a while back because the last time I took it, it was at 2:00 AM
BS - 12

Was so frustrated with PS on AAMC 8. The effing passage on Aristotle and MRI?? The questions were super easy, but I don't think I still understand it. And I missed 3 questions on those 2 passages alone!! That along with stupid mistakes. Ahhh!

That Aristotle passage made me think that I somehow got warped into the VR section. :laugh:

Taking AAMC 11 today, my last full length. Wish me luck : ). I took all the AAMCs except for 8. I don't want to take another full length any closer to my test date, so that I don't burn out or destroy my confidence.

Here's my schedule leading up to test day:
Today, June 16: Take AAMC 11, review BS section and review ochem/bio weaknesses
June 17: Review PS and verbal of AAMC 11, do 3 TPR verbal passages, review weaknesses in physics/gchem
June 18: Mass review of Ochem/Bio notes and flashcards, 3 TPR verbal passages
June 19: Mass review of Physics/Gchem using flashcards, possibly take AAMC 8 PS and review, 3 TPR verbal passages
June 20: Review gchem/physics TPR formula sheets, 2 TPR verbal passages
June 21: Test day! Rock and roll!

Hey guys! I just took AAMC 11, I felt it was definitely a lot harder than the other AAMCs and probably what the real MCAT is going to be like, I BOMBED the VR though

PS-11
VR-8 (ugggh)
BS- 11

I am really lost in VR, keep on trying different strategies and nothing is really working :scared: I'm also a slow reader so that doesn't really help either...If anyone has any strategies that are working for them let me know!

@ dnovikov

The one you are weakest at. I personally would choose PS. Timing seems more important for PS than BS. I feel like it's also a pivotal part of the test because you want to be confident coming out of it, so that your not psyched out for the other two sections. Since, PS is more calculation heavy now, timing and practice seem to be even more crucial.

@ dnovikov

The one you are weakest at. I personally would choose PS. Timing seems more important for PS than BS. I feel like it's also a pivotal part of the test because you want to be confident coming out of it, so that your not psyched out for the other two sections. Since, PS is more calculation heavy now, timing and practice seem to be even more crucial.

Well I feel pretty strong in PS, at least stronger than BS... but I've been hearing that the actual test BS is a bit different than the older tests and since the assessment package is essentially AAMCs 1,2 and 6 I feel like the BS wouldn't really be representative. ugh decisions decisions :confused:

If you were to chose between getting either the PS or the BS section of the assessment package, which one would you get?

I bought the all three assessment packages. The VR is soo hard to answer, or maybe i'm just tired answering passages. Will try to do PS and BS and check if its more interesting.

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile, but thought I should say hi and offer my words of encouragement.

For me, this is my third time taking the exam. The first time I took it and was completely unprepared for VR (scored a 7), so had to retake. 2nd time, I was more prepared for VR but hadn't spent too much time brushing up on my other subjects. Coupling that with a highly experimental BS, something I've never encountered before, I panicked and thus I'm here for a 3rd retake. But, no crying over spilled milk. MCAT is a relatively small sacrifice for obtaining your dreams.

For those who have not taken the MCAT (or at least not recently), it's probably already very apparent from all of the other MCAT threads, but if I could offer you one piece of advice, it's just to not panic and to keep a calm composure. It doesn't really matter what you've done on the AAMCs or seen during practice, but just be prepared for anything. You might be hit with a very calculation heavy PS, or a very weird conceptual one - depends on the draw. For BS, you might see something extremely abstract or experimental, but not matter what, DON'T PANIC.

Bottom line is to stay focused and remain at the task at hand. If a BS passage requires it, map it out and summarize it in more laymen terms if it helps you answer the dense questions. If you're required to do a weird PS calculation with a complex equation, instead of staring at it blankly and wasting precious seconds, jot it down on paper and get started. If it's a crazy abstract VR and you can't understand a thing, you're probably not meant to understand it. Just get your best shot at a main idea and answer the questions based on intuition.

A big portion of the MCAT is shock factor. However, no matter how beastly the questions are, chances are that they are masking a relatively rudimentary concept underneath and it's likely something you've seen in another form during your studies. So just don't panic, remain focused, and take it question by question. A standardized test, especially MCAT is obviously nothing like your college exams and requires a different approach. Mostly it will test you psychologically, but I know we all have what it takes to get to where we want. Just trust your preparation and keep a positive attitude.

tl;dr - MCAT will test you psychologically. Trust yourself and don't let it get the best of you.

Good luck to all of us. :)

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile, but thought I should say hi and offer my words of encouragement.

For me, this is my third time taking the exam. The first time I took it and was completely unprepared for VR (scored a 7), so had to retake. 2nd time, I was more prepared for VR but hadn't spent too much time brushing up on my other subjects. Coupling that with a highly experimental BS, something I've never encountered before, I panicked and thus I'm here for a 3rd retake. But, no crying over spilled milk. MCAT is a relatively small sacrifice for obtaining your dreams.

For those who have not taken the MCAT (or at least not recently), it's probably already very apparent from all of the other MCAT threads, but if I could offer you one piece of advice, it's just to not panic and to keep a calm composure. It doesn't really matter what you've done on the AAMCs or seen during practice, but just be prepared for anything. You might be hit with a very calculation heavy PS, or a very weird conceptual one - depends on the draw. For BS, you might see something extremely abstract or experimental, but not matter what, DON'T PANIC.

Bottom line is to stay focused and remain at the task at hand. If a BS passage requires it, map it out and summarize it in more laymen terms if it helps you answer the dense questions. If you're required to do a weird PS calculation with a complex equation, instead of staring at it blankly and wasting precious seconds, jot it down on paper and get started. If it's a crazy abstract VR and you can't understand a thing, you're probably not meant to understand it. Just get your best shot at a main idea and answer the questions based on intuition.

A big portion of the MCAT is shock factor. However, no matter how beastly the questions are, chances are that they are masking a relatively rudimentary concept underneath and it's likely something you've seen in another form during your studies. So just don't panic, remain focused, and take it question by question. A standardized test, especially MCAT is obviously nothing like your college exams and requires a different approach. Mostly it will test you psychologically, but I know we all have what it takes to get to where we want. Just trust your preparation and keep a positive attitude.

tl;dr - MCAT will test you psychologically. Trust yourself and don't let it get the best of you.

Good luck to all of us. :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really need this right now. ;(

Thank you for this, crazedpiggy (that's how I've been feeling haha). I haven't been doing as well as I'd hoped on the practice AAMC tests and have started doubting myself. Hopefully, we all get the scores we're looking for.

Hey guys! I just took AAMC 11, I felt it was definitely a lot harder than the other AAMCs and probably what the real MCAT is going to be like, I BOMBED the VR though

PS-11
VR-8 (ugggh)
BS- 11

I am really lost in VR, keep on trying different strategies and nothing is really working :scared: I'm also a slow reader so that doesn't really help either...If anyone has any strategies that are working for them let me know!

The verbal is different for everyone. I've found the strategies of others don't really help me. I bought the EK 101 passages. There are a decent amount of typos and in my opinion, it's significantly harder than the AAMC passages, but it's good practice for timing and prepared me for the wording I encountered on the AAMC passages. I try to read the passage like it's the most interesting thing in the world. Then I try to do the questions without looking back at the passage unless I really need to.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really need this right now. ;(

There are many times during the preparation process when I feel like I want to kill myself or break down crying. But the MCAT will test your wits and commitment every step of the way. Though the ups and downs of the preparation process, taking the exam, receiving a less-than-desired score (which hopefully none of us will have to deal with anymore).

But, being tasked of being a beacon of hope for those that are suffering is a huge task and a privilege in this society. Naturally, obtaining this privilege shouldn't be easy. Don't lose sight of the big picture and what we're all working for. We can pick ourselves up and do this. It's a rite-of-passage in the overall journey, IMO.

Hey, guys!

Just took AAMC 11 and, while it felt a little more difficult than previous AAMCs, I think it was probably on par with the other most recent tests (8-10). I was going to write about how each section was but, true to my mantra of forgetting about each section when it's done, I already forgot most of what I just did haha, so I'm going to go over it after lunch.

I think most of my mistakes were just lack of content knowledge for the sciences (especially PS), not so much the wording of questions--well, except a few on VR and that ebola virus passage which just had long questions and answers.

My scores were 9/10/12. That's the highest I've ever gotten on an AAMC BS! (Kaplan gave me 13s on their FLs 6, 8, and 9 but I'm reluctant to take it as indicative of my real score since I've read their scores are inflated.. It would be nice, though!) I know that 12 could be an outlier but I'd rather think of it as progress (we need as much as confidence as possible for the big day!). Also, my raw scores were each one question away from the next score up. :smack: I'm just glad it didn't go down from AAMC 10 (which was a 30), so I can't complain too much.

I guess all we can do is to identify and work on weaknesses and solidify our strengths, right?! Yeah! :highfive: Just trying to stay positive. :p

Hope everyone else's day is going swimmingly. :luck:

There are many times during the preparation process when I feel like I want to kill myself or break down crying. But the MCAT will test your wits and commitment every step of the way. Though the ups and downs of the preparation process, taking the exam, receiving a less-than-desired score (which hopefully none of us will have to deal with anymore).

But, being tasked of being a beacon of hope for those that are suffering is a huge task and a privilege in this society. Naturally, obtaining this privilege shouldn't be easy. Don't lose sight of the big picture and what we're all working for. We can pick ourselves up and do this. It's a rite-of-passage in the overall journey, IMO.

Whoa man. Suicidal ideations are not a normal part of test prep. If you really feel that way, you need to talk to a real person about it. I'd say get of the internet, and get help.

Hey guys, just a quick question. I took AAMC test 7 this morning. As I'm going over it now, I noticed it won't let me review the passage I got completely right and the set of freestanding that was all right (rare occasions). I pressed Review All and it's still doing this. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hey guys, just a quick question. I took AAMC test 7 this morning. As I'm going over it now, I noticed it won't let me review the passage I got completely right and the set of freestanding that was all right (rare occasions). I pressed Review All and it's still doing this. Is anyone else having this problem?

nope! try logging out and logging back in

Whoa man. Suicidal ideations are not a normal part of test prep. If you really feel that way, you need to talk to a real person about it. I'd say get of the internet, and get help.

As someone going through the process of taking this exam for the 3rd time, I understand what crazedpiggy means by saying those words. I don't think he/she means it like I never mean it when I say it but having to take this test so many times is definitely a huge test of strength.

Worst feeling is when you are going over your mistakes and come to a question, look at the answer, and think to yourself "That's what i thought it was...wtf". Turns out you thought it was B but somehow chose C and the answer turned out to be B.

/facepalm

Worst feeling is when you are going over your mistakes and come to a question, look at the answer, and think to yourself "That's what i thought it was...wtf". Turns out you thought it was B but somehow chose C and the answer turned out to be B.

/facepalm

this has been happening to me all too often. It's even worse when you continuously make those mistakes or can't do a simple calculation that you've done in the past.

Quick question.. After taking an AAMC practice test, where do you go to see the score breakdown of each section? Meaning, how does someone see that 'if I would have got one more question correct my score would have been [x]' ? Thanks!

Quick question.. After taking an AAMC practice test, where do you go to see the score breakdown of each section? Meaning, how does someone see that 'if I would have got one more question correct my score would have been [x]' ? Thanks!

There is a link for scoring for each test comparing raw score with scaled score. I think the link is on the left when you're at the e-mcat home page.

Guys... All of a sudden I am ridiculously scared to take my last two FL's. I'm worried that I'll get mid-20's and it'll demoralize me for the test. Need to stop this attitude! :scared:

Guys... All of a sudden I am ridiculously scared to take my last two FL's. I'm worried that I'll get mid-20's and it'll demoralize me for the test. Need to stop this attitude! :scared:

I think you will do just fine, but even
if you do bad just think of it as getting all the bad out of the way so when u take the real thing you will have all the good with you.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

AAMC 9 Done.......... need to work on my VR!!!!!!

Holy cow, you and I both.

I've improved my PS and BS from 6 and 7 on AAMC 3 respectively (sad, I know), to 10's on AAMC 9. I've scored 9-10 in VR on every single test until 9, which I scored a 6 (!). I have no idea what happened, and it's sad because this is my native tongue haha. Hope I don't blank out like that next week.

For anyone struggling to pick up PS and BS, flashcards work great but you really need to integrate those static facts into passages. I did this by doing GS CBTs 1-7, and my score jumped dramatically after the crucial post-game analysis of each section. I know my scores of 10 in AAMC aren't great, but it's an improvement of 3-4 points in each section in under a month.

Good luck everyone

Me too, but I'm taking these exams with a grain of salt. It seems like every FL I take, I get called out on a weakness and I improve on it. To be honest, I'd rather be a little demoralized and better prepared with these last FLs, but that's just me.